I △

Milk & Honey

Home Away from Home 

"If you really want me, open your heart completely and accept me."

- "Close the Door" by SHINee

△▽△▽△▽△▽

The small coffee shop was about a block away from my small studio apartment. The shop had large windows, with rustic wood accents framing the outside. It was not a usual flashy coffee shop people would flock to. It was simple, it was home.  It created an escape from the crazy transition from a small suburb town to a bustling city that never slept.

My feet fell softly on the pavement, it was early evening when people would usually be returning from work, I was heading off to mine. I could see a small gathering inside the shop as I pushed open the door.

“Hana!” I heard my name being called. 

“Unnie,” I smiled dashing behind the counter and pulling on my black apron. “Whats the next order?”

“You are literally a life savor, it is an iced caramel machiatoo with extra extra caramel.” I smiled and nodded before I began to prep the drink. Normalilty surronded the routine of the quick coffee shop.

Loud voices chatted wih friends or loved onces, the bell ding periodically, the rich smell of coffee clinging onto my clothes. “How did university go today?” My manager, Jihee, asked me when there was a little slack from the busy bustle.

“Good! A little difficult on my Korean literature class, since Im trying to get use to the language still.”

She nodded, “Don’t worry you got it, it must have been really hard your first month here.”

I didn't want to think about how I basically got lost everywhere I went or the fact I discovered I could read Korean at a middle school level. But at least I could speak the language fluently. At least. “Oh customer!”

A soft smile appeared on my lips and I felt a wave of thankfulness of just being here. Today as going to be an amazing day. I know it.

Jihee left leaving me to close up the shop like every week and weekend since I started earlier this month. She wished me a good night with the soft ding of the door. I my lips, no one ususally heads over to the shop this late. I pulled out a mdeium sized book and took a seat on the stool to the left of the counter.

I sketched a flower softly as acoustics played in the background of the shop. The shop closed in an hour or so I already began to plan what needed to be done before I closed up. My eyes peered up and squinted it was highly unlikely any was going to walk through that door. I let my eyes fall back onto my sketch. 

Suddenly the sound of a small ding made me jump.  A tall man stepped in, even with the sun setting he wore black sunglasses. I eyed him carefully before setting down my sketch pad. The man walked over to the counter and I gazed from his track pants to plain white v neck which seemed to stretch over his fit upper body but covered up with a black jacket. “Can I get just iced coffee? Black, milk, one sugar please?”

“Here or to go?”

“To go.”

He swiped his card and took his reciped before he leaned on the pick up counter. Hm, strange. He still didnt take off his sunglasses. I began to make his coffee my eyes trailed to the stranger. Who wanted black coffee so late at night?

I placed the cover on the iced coffee and set it down on counter softly. “Here you go.” I set a straw on top of it. Without a word he turned around and it seemed his framed glasses boared into mine. “Try not stay up so late.” I said with no filter.

The guy paused and his lips lifted up in a dazzling smile. “I’ll try not to, alright?" With that he walked out with the small ding still ringing in my head. For the past few weeks ago I never seen him...until tonight. 

Who was he? My mind pushed the thoughts away of the mysterious guy and got back to work. 

 

△▽△▽△▽△▽