[Single Mom]

You Fall, You Rise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sorry for the late update. I was very sick... 

 

 

 

While we were walking to my car in the parking lot, I turned around to made sure the parents couldn't see us anymore and then I let go of his hand. I pulled out my keys and unlocked the door for him so he could put MinGuk in the car. I stood there awkwardly, thinking how I should bring up the topic of what just happened.

“WooBin-ah,” I called as I was fidgeting with my keys, “what happened earlier…um…” I hesitated.

“I was just trying to stand up for what was right; so I had to speak up,” he replied while he was putting a seatbelt on MinGuk.

“Well, they weren’t exactly wrong… I am a single mom,” I tittered.

“And what if you’re a single mom? Just because you’re a single mom, they could bad-mouth about you?” he questioned and gazed at me.

“I-I don’t know… I was embarrassed and upset at the same time,” I sighed as I lowered my head.

“SoHee-ah, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about being a single mom. You should be proud of yourself. You can take care of yourself and your son,” he encouraged.

“You know some people are very judgmental…If they know I'm a single mom, automatically they’d think I’m trashy….” I replied.

“They can judge all they want. It won’t make a difference to your life, unless you begin to believe what they say and lose focus of who you truly are. Trust me, you’re far beyond of what they were saying about you,” he stated.

“I guess it’s also because I’m a young mom,” I said.

“All women are going to be mothers at some point in their life. Just that some become mothers a little early and some may be later,” he stated.

“That’s true…” I agreed, nodding my head. He smiled at me and patted me on the shoulder before he shoved his hands in his pants pockets.

“Being a mother is hard, but I know being a single mother is even harder. I know that because my mom is a single mom too,” he pointed out and said, “She has been suffering mentally because of my dad… actually, I didn’t tell you this…but she has depression.”

“What?” I asked as I looked at him confused, “I thought you said she’s doing better now,” I mentioned.

“She is doing a lot better now. Whereas before she would have suicidal thoughts and there were a couple of times she tried to suicide,” he explained. I covered my mouth with my palm and my brows lifted in shock.

“Are you serious…?” I muttered, with my hand still over my mouth.

“Yeah, but that was a few years ago. She’s improving a lot after she has been receiving treatments,” he assured.

“Oh that’s good to hear,” I sighed in relief and placed my hand on my chest.

“Speaking of my mom, I actually have plans with her soon so I better get going,” he implied as he glanced at his watch. “Oh…By the way, here’s your phone,” he reminded me as he held out my cellphone, waited for me to take it.

“Oh, right! I’ve totally forgotten about it. Thank you,” I grinned and took it from him.

“No worries. You should go too; MinGuk is waiting for you,” he suggested and I bobbed my head, “Bye MinGuk! Uncle WooBin will play with you next time,” he told MinGuk.

“Buh-Bye, Uncle WooBin!” MinGuk replied as he waved, then WooBIn closed the door.

“Okay, say hi for me to your mom,” I responded and he nodded before he left.

A week later, I had already worked two night shifts straight in a row, so I was exhausted. And I still had one more night to go before I would have my days off. I couldn’t wait because I was already sleep deprived.

It was a busy, long, stressful Wednesday night shift. I was running the whole time. I didn’t get my break. I didn’t even get to sit at all, much less eat anything. There were a few hours before my shift ends, I could finally get to had a break. When I entered the staff break room, a few of my coworkers were already in there so I joined in with them.

“I’m so tired…” Minah murmured.

“I feel you…” I replied as I pulled out a chair and sat down with them at the table.

“Grab yourself a coffee,” Bora suggested while she was flipping through a newspaper.

“I’ve already had two cups of coffee…if I drink coffee again, I don’t think I’d be able to sleep when I’m home,” she responded while she propped her chin on her hand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter