two

Behind the Mask
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If you were just careful, your uncle would not be able know that you failed in one of your subjects, Minjun!”

“Mom, it’s not my fault that our Dean is a friend of Uncle.”

“How would he trust you now if that s what you’re showing him? You’re just like your father.”

“Mom, Dad’s dead.  Can we not involve him in this?”

“Just make sure that you’ll redeem yourself to your Uncle. Minjun.  The last thing we need is for that little brat of his to be the future—“

“Sshh, Ma!”

 

+

 

Nichkhun may have not intentionally keen to hear their conversation but he cant help it.  He was also there in the garden, cleaning the pool when the two argued.  Sometimes,  he relieves the workers in the mansion who takes their respective offs.  He was supposed to clean the swimming pool.  It was already two years since he started working as an all-around boy at the Jang’s mansion.  Wooyoung’s father trusted him while the former felt at ease whenever he talks to him.  It seems like Wooyoung wont stop thanking him for what he did. 

He’s not naive not to understand what the two were talking.  In fact, even if he didn't hear them he knows that they both wanted to claim the empire that Wooyoung’s father owns.  His eyes and ears are open to the schemes they’re making inside the house.  He thinks that its normal for the rich like Minjun to look for more.  Already have everything but still not contented. 

“I’ll go prepare your uncle’s favorite cake. He’s arriving.”

Nichkhun continued cleaning the pool, he then heard someone calling him. 

“Pst. Pst”

He knows that it was him Minjun that was calling but he didn't turn.  Minjun continued to call him, voice now laced with irritation.  When he still didn't look at him, Nichkhun felt something hit his right ear. He looked down and saw the still burning piece of cigarette on the ground.  

Minjun laughed.  “If you’re being called, don’t pretend that you’re deaf.”

Nichkhun remained silent.  He thought that he should fight this man but then told himself that he’s still, somehow, the nephew of his boss.  And he knows where he should stand. 

Minjun stood up from the chair and walked towards him.  “You’re a spy, right?  Spy for Woo, right?” he asked then lit another cigarette. 

“No, Sir,” Nichkhun answered. 

“I’ve always been observing you ever since you came here.  You feel like your special here, right?  That you’re Woo’s savior.  You didn’t hear anything, you understand?” 

 

Nichkhun nodded which seemed to irritate Minjun more.  “Answer when I’m talking to you.” 

“I understand.” Nichkhun didn't want to cause a fight with him that would lead him to be chased out of the house. 

“Great!”  Minjun laughed and puffed the smoke to Nichkhun’s face. He placed his right hand on Nichkhun’s shoulder and pressed it.  He then threw the cigarette stick to the pool.  “Good the you understood, we’ll get along well.  Who knows, I may ask a favor from you one of these days. I’ll treat you well if you’ll follow me.” 

When Minjun left, Nichkhun silently used the net and picked up the cigarette that was tossed earlier. Had it been different, he would’ve retaliated.  But he knows that there are more important things than his bruised pride.  There will be a time for that — after he fulfills his plans. 

“Nichkhun!”  

He already knows who owned that voice.  Whenever he hears that sweet, calming voice or see the face of its owner, he can’t help but feel all the butterflies fluttering in his stomach.  But he knows that it is wrong for him to feel that way.  

“Sir,” he answered.  Wooyoung was smiling at him and it was hard not to be affected by it.  

Wooyoung rolled his eyes.  Whenever he calls him “Sir,” he always gives him that reaction.   At first, Wooyoung was always scolding him and tells him to call him by his name.  But he didn't comply.  As he wanted that to serve as a reminder to himself as to who he was.  He wanted to use that title as a wall that separates the two of them.  

“I’m so excited! I mean, so very excited.  So very out-of-the-wits excited!”

Nichkhun smiled wider. Looking at Wooyoung with his adorable face, sparkling eyes, hands flailing, bobbing his head and sometimes eyes rolling.  He knows that the latter is spoiled but he’s not the stereotype brat who doesn't know how to appreciate what he has. 

“Aren’t you going to ask me why? Gosh, you’re so anticlimactic.”

Nichkhun laughed.  “What is it?”

“You know that this coming month would be my birthday?  And then I wanted to celebrate  your birthday too so that’s why I decided to have us a double celebration!  I asked Dad and he said yes! It’s going to be amazing!  I even ordered a cake for us!  Guess what the topper is?”

“It’s you leading a horse I’m sitting on. Here …” Wooyoung then showed him a piece of paper showing him the sketches that the latter made for the cake.  “It’s going to be made of fondant and modeling chocolate.  Isn’t it cute?”

NIchkhun still didn't know what to say.   It’s already natural for him to refuse but how could he do that to Wooyoung without hurting his feelings?  He also thought that Wooyoung’s father approved his son’s request and let Nichkhun be the to do the refusal and remind himself what he is in the house. 

 

“Did I offend you, Nichkhun? Maybe, it should not be a horse, right?  How insensitive of me.  I'm sorry—“

“No, Sir.  You don't have to say sorry.  I’m glad that you want to celebrate my birthday together with you but I would probably feel awkward if we’ll celebrate our birthdays together.  I’m sorry.”

“Oh!” Wooyoung said.  Nichkhun can already see the disappointment painted on his face. “Well if that’s what you want. I just thought… you’ll be happy.”

“I’m happy, don’t think that I am not.” He quickly answered.  As if what’s more important right now is to make Wooyoung smile again.  “It’s just that I would feel awkward with it.  I’m really sorry.”

Wooyoung nodded, trying to break a smile.  “That’s it then,” and he tore the sketch of the cake he showed him earlier. 

“Si—“

“No worries, I’m fine.” Again,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter