Two

Music out Loud

 

Because the night is so precious

 

    Shopping was a bust. The girls all loved makeup, and clothes, spending money,spending so much, so flippantly. I didn’t want to, I wanted to read, to draw, to listen to music, to play my saxophone. I know, saxophone, what an instrument. The whole day I felt out of place, I wanted to go to a music store, or a cafe, or an escape room. Or maybe a book store, anime store, a toy store even. I wanted to cry, several times today.

    I’ll cry now, I thought as I walked into my room. For me crying gets rid of so much stress, and allows me to see things in a new light. I flop onto my bed, grab my phone and turn on my brother’s favourite song, on loop, and full volume.

  Footsteps - Emerald Castle

-

 

    “Kyungri! Where’s your brother?! It’s already 2 am!”

 

    “I’m calling the police!”

 

    “They can’t find him!”

 

    “Hey, I’m so sorry for your loss.”

-

 

    I miss my brother, he just left one morning, and that was it. He was reported as a missing child for 4 years now. He loved music, and loved to tease me, and tell me stories of my mother.But he was a teen back then and often really moody, sometimes,  he would get really sad and lock his door, but I could hear the music playing from his room. That would help me calm down too. One thing that I really missed about him was his little song recommendations. He often left notes under my door, of song recommendations, and they were good songs too. He always seemed to know what mood I was in. I wish he was here. He’d know what to do about Dad being put into jail, about having a fake family, about having a sibling just, disappear. Oh, and he hated pancakes too.

    The tears just flowed out, everything I knew was gone, and wrong. My father kidnapped me and my brother? That just doesn’t make any sense. I don’t get how such a kind man could do such a thing. Where did my brother go before he was kidnapped? Is he still alive? They never found his body. Where is he now? Does he miss me? Can he still tell when I’m crying? He could.

    I cry because my new family was fake. They don’t actually like me. They are too proper, too different. Their house is too clean, not enough drawings on the walls, not enough clutter, not enough awards and certificates. Not enough yelling and busy schedules, not enough individuality, not enough everything. I don’t want to live like this.

    I hear whispers outside my door.

    “Her music is so ing loud, doesn’t she know to keep it down? It’s not her house.” It was Yoobi. “I’m so tired of being peppy, we’re all making an effort can’t she see?”

    “Just let her be alone, this is a big change.” Yoomi.

    I hear some more muffles as they walk away from my door. I get up and lock it. I lay down on my bed and cry myself to sleep.

-

I woke up. My phone had died, and the music had stopped. My room was dark, what time was it. Like 2am? I want to get out of this house. I plug my phone and pull on a sweater.

The night air is cool and nips at my face. I should’ve brought a jacket. I look around at my street, is was quiet, but I can hear the distant sound of drunk men and horns honking. My stomach grumbles, I hadn’t eaten dinner. I shove my hands in my pockets, and was met with some loose change in my pocket, maybe I could buy something. I look back at my house , and take notes of my address before walking towards a main road.

The night scene is beautiful, occasional stores have their lights still on, and some people were still walking around, mostly businessmen, and people who look as if they were just crying, like me. I hear some pop music playing in the distance,  I turn the corner and see a huge crowd up ahead.

As I get closer I see a group of guys, ten or so, dancing, really well. They all have a mask on, plain white, but they vary slightly from person to person. One had only half of the mask on, like a mask you would find at a masquerade ball, while another had one with a mustache drawn on. They’re dressed in a black dress shirt, and different coloured pants. Their dancing is so mesmerizing, watching them move is unreal. How are such movements even physically possible? The accuracy, the synchronization, the power. People are taking pictures, and whooping and hollering. I wish I’d brought my phone. The one who catches my eye the most, is one with purple pants, and red circles drawn on his mask. Something about the way he danced, was magical.

Before I know it, they finish their dance number, but there was more. One guy, the tallest, brings a guitar out of a case, and another unveils a piano, and soon they are playing a soft tune, like a serenade. I’m in awe. The crowd was just pumped, the atmosphere like a club, and 2 seconds later, it felt like the love of my life was proposing to me. The guitar and piano being played expertly, with the most emotion, ever.

“Wow, they’re amazing…” I whisper. The girl next to me looked at me.

“Of course, this is exo, the most popular street band...ever!” She whispers, and turns back to the boys. Exo?

    “Do they always perform around here? Are they idols? What’s up with the masks?” I ask her.

    “What are you? Have you been living under a rock? Nobody knows anything about them, except they do buskings, and performances vary from dancing, to singing, to instrument playing. They wear the same masks, and colours every time they perform. And they perform quite randomly, sometimes two days in a row and sometimes they go weeks without performing. It’s a real treat to hear them. They’re as popular as idols! Oh, they don’t accept any payment at all either. When I first heard them I got so obsessed they are so talented!”  She replies.

    “Oh ok.” I smile, and she smiles back.

    I watch them for what felt like forever. They sparked something in me, I felt different. I want to go home and sing my heart out, and learn 600 new instruments.

Eventually I get so hungry that I couldn’t appreciate the music anymore. I walk to a nearby food parlor, and order as much food as I can with my pitiful amount of coins.

By the time my tteokbokki came, Exo had just finished up their last number. I was glad that there was something good about moving to Korea. Exo seems like such a dream, I had become a fan within a few hours. The more I think about them the more curious I get. I need to know more about them, I needed to know who they were.

“Hey! Kyungri!” I hear a familiar voice and turn around to see Yixing walking towards me. “Why’re you out so late?”

“I just wanted some fresh and I ended up watching Exo’s performance, they were so great! I loved them so much, they’re so great! I loved that dance performance they did, did you see?” I felt a rush, just talking about them again.

“Hahah I watched too, but I didn’t see you until now, they’re such legends eh?” He chuckled as he took a sit beside me. “So how was your shopping trip?” He stole a piece of my rice cake.

“Pretty good I guess, shopping isn’t really my thing, but the girls are nice.” I shoved another piece of tteokbokki into my mouth. I’ve wanted to ask him something since the first time I met him, and it seemed like a good time now.

“Um...so your name, it doesn’t seem Korean…? It’s really interesting..” He turned to look at me, and smiled, once again.

“I was adopted, by my- your, step-father, when I was 1, from China. I’m really thankful for that, I mean if he didn’t adopt me, who knows where I would’ve been.”

Adoption…? That’s pretty rare.

“Well, you seem like a good person, so I’m glad you were adopted too.” I smile at him.

    “Let’s get goin home since you’re done all your food and I don’t think you know how to get home either, right?” He winked at me, and got up from his seat.

    “Hey, I know how to get back, I have good memory.” I grabbed the plate and threw it out.

    “Mmhmm, alright sure, I’m just saying, since you’re new to this area.” He said with a sly tone.

 

-

 

    “Where have you been?!” My mother whispers as Yixing and I walk into the house.

    “I wanted some fresh air...and I met Yixing on the way. And we got lost on the way back.” It takes everything in me to stop myself from breaking into a smile.

    “Mum, look we’re all fine, you could’ve just called.” Yixing says, to try to calm her down.

    “I couldn’t because she didn’t bring her phone, and you’re always out and about so who even cares. Always, bring your phone, Okay Kyungri?” She gave me a pointed stare before going back to her room. We walk up to our rooms silently, before Yixing goes into his room he turns around.

    “I’m glad you’re laughing now, and not crying. Sleep well.” He smiles again and closes his door.

 


 

A/N: Oooooo enter an exo memberrrrrr. Hahah thanks guys for reading my story, and the quote at the beginning is from a song by Yu seung woo I'll link it at the end of my note. I feel like for some chapters, I'll have a song that sorta matches, I mean my story is about music so hahaha... It's quite fitting. How are you guys liking the story so far? If you have any suggestions or comments or anything just leave a comment!  Thanks for reading, and see you guys next time!

<3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-sNZ2XZyHo