One

Music out Loud

 

Home is where the heart is.

 

             I feel my heart race, I wipe my sweaty palms on my jeans. You can do this Kaitlyn. Go Kate.  I take a deep breath and step onto the escalator. As I get to the top I see families, lovers, friends running towards each other, Laughing faces,  crying faces everywhere I look. I spot the sign “Kim Kyungri” and hear a girl yell my name, at the same time. Standing there, was a middle aged lady, probably my mom. A man, also probably my stepfather, with an arm around her shoulders. The couple was accompanied by three girls or rather, teens. I walk towards them. Alright, my rebirth. Before I could bow and greet them. My mother rushes to me and envelopes me in her arms. I hear her sobbing and feel her caressing my head.

“My daughter, you’ve grown so much, you’re so beautiful. Sorry for not watching you grow, for not being there for you.” I felt tears rise in my eyes, this wasn’t really her fault though. She pulled away from the hug, wiping her tears, and put on a smile. “Well, we have lots of time to catch up right? Let’s get you home.” I nod, she signals her husband to take my luggage, and guides me out.

The car ride is silent, I try to ignore the awkward air but staring outside the window. The night view of Seoul was beautiful. It seems as if the city never rested. After a while we drove away from the bustling highway and into a peaceful neighbourhood. We arrive at a house, it’s fairly big, much bigger than my old house. So they were pretty rich huh. I step out of the car and get my luggage from the trunk. My mother was at my side immediately. “So darling, I’m sure you’ll love it here, there’s a good high school nearby, you’ll be in the same grade as Yoobi won’t you?” She gestured to her second daughter, who smiles brightly in return. I nod, to be polite. “This is great, let’s get you settled first alright?” She smiles and takes my luggage from me and yells to her husband. “Honey! Hurry! What are you doing?! Come take her luggage!” I smile politely at her and her husband who was bustling around.

The inside of their house was fairly big, and pretty empty, with only some basic furniture and pictures. My old house was always full of clutter, books, crafts, games, toys, anything, you name giving a cozy feeling, while this house kinda cold. Maybe because it was well into the night.

“Sweetie, come follow mum, I’ll show you your room.” I reach for my luggage but was stopped by my mom. “No no, I bet you’re tired from the plane ride, let me. Just follow me.” She takes my luggage and starts up the stairs. I follow. She leads me up the staircase into a hallway, into the room at the end of the hallway.

“Tell me when you’re ready to come down stairs, I’ll fix you up something to eat, and introduce you to your knew siblings!” My mother and hugs me once more before she scuttles down the stairs.

I open the door,revealing an average sized room with cream walls, and purple curtains, framing a window across from the door. With a bed in the far left corner and a desk in the far right.The room was quite nice, but empty. I look at my bed, it was just calling for me. I flop down onto the bed. Yes..sleep.

_

 

“Kaitlynnnnn! Oh my gosh! Stop being such a hogger, just come out of the bathroom!”  My older brother yelled at me, from outside the bathroom door. “What are you even doing in there!”

“I-I’ll be out soon, just a sec!” I frantically wetted some toilet paper and tried to wipe off the marker “eyeliner” I had tried to put on. My heart pounded, like I had done something so wrong.

“If you don’t come out in 5 seconds I’m coming in!” He yelled again, and proceeded to count down from 5, much faster than how long seconds actually were.

Shiiiit, why did I use a sharpie?? Why did we have a bathroom without a lock? I heard the door burst open. He paused as he saw me.

“Ok I don’t really know what you’re doing, but I gotta , so get out.” He pushed me out and closed the door. I was startled, that wasn’t so bad, but I didn’t really know what I was expecting. I went to my room and tried to take off the rest of my sharpie.

Later that evening I found a note that someone had slide underneath my door.

“No make-up -Zion.T” It wrote.

-

“Honey, Honey, it’s time to wake up.” I hear someone croon, and feel someone my hair. I woke up to see my mother sitting at the edge of my bed. I glance at my alarm clock, 8am, WTF who wakes up at 8am?

“Hey, I thought I didn’t think I started school until next week, it’s only Friday?” I muffle I said as I sat up in my bed.

“Yes, yes, but I planned for you to go out shopping, you know, some bonding time, with your new siblings. The girls don’t have school today, so I thought you could use today to get to know each other.” Her eyes sparkle. Truth be told, I didn’t really want to go out today, but what was the harm?

“Um..yeah sure, I’ll go.” I ruffle my hair and ran my hands over my face.

“Alright! I’ll leave you to get ready, breakfast is downstairs!” She claps her hands together and rushed out of my room.

I look at my suitcases… I fell asleep and didn’t even unpack. That was unlike me. I open my suitcase and pulled out a change of clothes, and some toiletries.

The more I thought about the shopping trip the more excited I got. Maybe the girls would be really great people, the family seemed pretty great. I went out of my room to look for the washroom. The hallway was empty, I could hear some chatter downstairs. I look down the hall, maybe that’s the washroom. I walk towards it, and the door opens.

There stood a half guy, around my age, with an above average face and body. Leaving me incredibly flustered. I thought this family only had 3 girls?

“Uh...um..hello..?” I managed to say. He looked up at me, and flashed me a goofy smile, and walked towards me.

“Hey, I’m Yixing, and you are..?” He extended his hand. I emptied a hand, and shook hands with him. Yixing? That doesn't sound really Korean, he didn't really look like his sisters either... “Uh. I’m K..Kait- Kyungri, um..do you live here..?” He laughed. Wow, I must be so funny.

“Yeah, I’m part of this family, your new brother. I gotta, get dressed, but I’ll see you around.” He flashed another smile, and entered his bedroom, which was right across from mine. Okay, well...let’s freshen up, I shuffled towards the bathroom.

The bathroom was large, and smelled like...boy. Products lined the counter, makeup, cologne, face masks, hair gel, at least 4 different types of deodorant. I put my stuff down on the corner of the counter, the only pace with room. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. As I was leaving I looked at all the makeup products. So much makeup.

 

    “Oh honey, you’re here! I make some pancakes, but I also scrambled some eggs, and there’s always cereal, so you can just eat whatever.” My mother said as she flipped some fluffy pancakes in her pan. The kitchen is brightly lit from natural lighting, the father sat at one end of the table, reading a newspaper, and my sisters, on their phones, and occasionally bickering. It felt as if I was looking at a picture, like I was watching a sitcom, called “The perfect family”. The difference between them, and me was as stark as black and white. I walk towards the table, and sat next to the girl my age.

    She looked really sweet and was beautiful, like everyone in their family. She turns towards me and smiled, a gummy smile.

    “Hey, I’m Yoobi, this is Yoomi” she said as she gestures to the oldest girl, who was drinking a coffee, as elegant as you could imagine. “And this is Yoori” Gesturing to the youngest, who sort of looked like a brat, but hey, no judgement. I looked at the three of them, they all looked beautiful, and like actresses, not to mention their figures, and fashion sense, even in the morning.

    “Hey, I’m pretty sure you all know my name, yeah.” I smile as friendly as I possibly could. Silence follows.

    “ You should try one of mom’s pancakes, they’re so good.” Yoobi said trying to get rid of the awkward atmosphere, and placed a pancake onto a plate, and handed it to me. She looked so expectant, I didn’t want to tell her that I didn’t like pancakes.

 


A/N: Hey I'm backkk. This story has had a lot of planning put into it, and I hope you guys like it, I'm really excited, I wanna get back into fanfic writing, I miss it. Hahah enjoyy

<3