Chapter 5

how to deal with pregnancy by kim taehyung & min yoongi

 

believe in your parents

 

The heavy atmosphere in the dorm is almost unbearable with the uneasiness that's impossible to ignore and yet, no one dares say anything. They know better than to complain as they wait in uncomfortable silence. The sound of fingers patting the table in an unfamiliar rhythm only adds to the uneasiness.

 

Taehyung is already too nervous and they try not to look at him, even if the boy should have known better. They all knew what would come and Taehyung was no exception. Yet, he ignored it even though he knew he'd regret it later.

 

Ever since they found out everyone knew they'd need to come up with a good, suiting, not forced explanation to the whole situation. But before they could say anything to the fans there was someone else that needed to know.

 

And now it's almost an hour since Taehyung has started to think just how exactly he should tell them, his nervousness easy for anyone to point.

 

Namjoon, ever the good, friendly, responsible, and kind leader, knows that if no one does anything either Taehyung will stress himself to death or one of the other members will blow up with pent up frustration.

 

'You're alright?' he asks, trying to sound as warm and comforting as possible.

 

Taehyung looks up at the older, his eyes troubled and his teeth gnawing at his lower lip. Although unsure, he nods. They know he's not alright but they can't help him; it's something that Taehyung needs to deal with on his own.

 

'Yeah. I got it.'

 

'Dd you?' Namjoon asks again, not really convinced. Taehyung nods.

 

'Yup. Sure. Sorry, I'll go to my room.' He stands up, his phone in a tight grip of his hand.

 

Once Taehyung leaves everyone lets out a collective sigh. Seokjin frowns once he realizes that there are still six people in the living room, instead of five. 'What about you, Yoongi? Aren't you going to tell your parents?'

 

Yoongi freezes upon hearing the question before putting the 'I don't care' façade. The boy shrugs, not really seeing the point in doing what Seokjin asked him about. 'Don't really think it's a good idea.'

 

'They should know,' Seokjin says, trying not to sound as if he was going to argue. 'Don't you think it's going to be a mess once they find out not from you but from Internet or TV?'

 

'Thanks for caring so much but there's no need for that, hyung,' Yoongi says sharply and the words, although polite, carry the please shut up message.

 

'But Jin hyung is right,' Jimin notices. 'Hyung, they're your parents. Why would you want to hide something as big as this from them?'

 

Yoongi sends the other a glare. He doesn't want anyone to ask him troublesome questions like this and he hopes they can get the meaning but neither Jimin nor anyone else in the room seems to understand.

 

'It's not your business. Now, stop being annoying and turn on the TV.'

 


 

To dial his mother's number seems to be taking ages, at least in Taehyung's opinion, as the boy types the right combination with his shaking fingers. But when he finally presses dial and waits for his mom to answer the call it doesn't last as long as he wishes it would.

 

Taehyung's breath hitches when he hears the sound of an answered call followed by a familiar male voice. Taehyung clenches his fists, his palms are all sweaty as he hears 'Taehyung! You haven't called us for ages, how are you, kid?' of his father he wants to curse the universe.

 

He wanted his mother to be the one to answer. Even if he's closer to his father there's something soothing and comforting in her voice whenever he talks to her; his father, although lovely, sounds strict and proud. Breaking such big news would be so much easier if it was her.

 

Taehyung is afraid to know how the man is going to react once he finds out about the disappointment that his son is.

 

The boy smiles, trying to think that he's not worried and he's absolutely not scared. Instead, he's happy because finally he gets to talk to his parents - as he always is whenever he calls them. 'Hi, dad. Sorry it took me so long.'

 

'Don't worry about that, we know how busy an idol can be,' his father teases him and Taehyung should laugh but instead he wants to cry. If only the other knew what made him so busy. 'Anyways, how are you? You're taking good care of yourself, right?'

 

'Y-yeah, I-' Taehyung stops, feeling too overwhelmed to finish.

 

How the hell do you talk to your parents?

 

'Dad, is m-mom at home?'

 

'She's making dinner right now, why? What happened?' Taehyung closes his eyes for a brief moment as he fights with himself not to sob but he fails and, of course, his father hears it. 'What's wrong?'

 

'Can you get mom? I need to tell you something. Both of you.' He wipes his tears, although he knows it's useless. He's going to cry again soon.

 

He can hear his father calling his mom and soon there are voices of both his parents, both asking what happened and trying to assure him that it's okay and he can tell them. They sound worried, ready to comfort their child who they've always been proud of, who they always wanted to be happy and successful. And now he's going to tell them what a mistake he made.

 

'I'm s-sorry.'

 

His voice breaks and the two on the other line sound alarmed as they try to convince their son to talk to them. 'Sweetheart, it's okay. Tell us what's wrong.'

 

'Do you remember Yoongi?'

 

Stupid question. His parents always follow what's going on in BTS, Taehyung always talks for at least fifteen minutes about his boyfriend whenever he talks to them. Of course they remember Yoongi.

 

'Of course.' He can almost feel the warmth from his mother's voice. 'He's your boyfriend, how could we forget him?'

 

'Yeah. Right.'

 

'What's wrong?' Now, his mother sounds sad. 'Did something happen between you two?'

 

'No! -yes... I mean, we're okay, everything's okay, just...'

 

'Tell us what's wrong, baby.'

 

Taehyung can easily imagine his mom narrowing her eyes, her lips making a thin line, and his dad's forehead wrinkled in worry as he frowns. They always have these expressions when there's something wrong.

 

'It's-' he chokes. 'I'm just, so sorry.'

 

He's never thought that if something serious happened it would be this hard to tell his parents about that.

 

They say nothing, allowing Taehyung to take as much time as he needs to finally reveal what's wrong. Taehyung appreciates it, looking for right words.

 

But there are no right words. He just needs to be honest. Taehyung takes a deep breath before finally admitting what is wrong. 'I'm pregnant.'

 

There's a strange sound from the other line and Taehyung's throat tightens.

 

'You're what?' his father asks, sounding both shocked and upset.

 

'P-pregnant,' Taehyung repeats brokenly. 'Yoongi hyung is the father.'

 

There's again a pause and even though it lasts only for ten seconds Taehyung feels it's an hour before he can hear his dead again. 'Taehyung. What do you mean with pregnant?'

 

He sounds so upset.

 

'I thought you were responsible.'

 

Taehyung lets out another sob, unable not to cry. To know that he's disappointed is one thing but to hear that is different, harder.

 

'I'm really sorry. We always tried to be careful, we knew we couldn't let anything like this happen but we didn't know-'

 

'Okay, baby, it's okay.' He stops once he hears his mom, only now realizing that he was mumbling, too fast and too chaotically. 'Breathe, baby. Yes?'

 

'Y-yes...'

 

Someone whispers something before his mom says aloud for Taehyung to hear. 'Baby, it's okay, we're not mad.'

 

Somehow, Taehyung can't really believe it.

 

'Do your managers know?'

 

'Yes.'

 

'Okay,' his dad says. The man sounds troubled. 'What did you decide?'

 

Taehyung furrows his brows. They did talk about all of it, they did have some agreements what they should do, but Taehyung isn't sure what his parents want to hear. 'I will still participate in practice and some events, although not as much as before.'

 

'Are you going to come back home when you can't participate at all?'

 

'I don't know,' Taehyung says. He does feel calmer now, his parents may not like it but he knows they want to be supporting. Still, he's kind of nervous. 'When Big Hit releases the statement I will be stuck in Seoul, although I don't know for how long. Managers said that it'd be better to stay until everything quiets down.'

 

'They're right,' his dad responds. 'When do they want to release the statement?'

 

'Tomorrow. After that they'll set the date for the press conference.'

 

'Oh, baby,' he can hear his mom's apologetic sigh. 'You must be so nervous. I'm sorry that we can't do much but do you want us to come visit you?'

 

'N-no, it's okay. I know it'll be troublesome for you to come.'

 

'It won't. How can you even say that as if we didn't want to see our son?'

 

Taehyung smiles slightly, happy that his parents want to come. He may not admit it to his friends but he does miss his family.

 

'We also don't want to interrupt you so if you have important things to do let us know, we'll come whenever you tell us to.'

 

'Yeah. I will, mom.'

 

'Also,' his mother says, as if she remembered something. 'Did you have an appointment already?'

 

'Y-yeah... when we wanted to confirm the pregnancy,' Taehyung says, uncomfortable with the word. It may have been days but he still can't believe that he is really pregnant, it doesn't sound right. 'The doctor told us everything is fine so far.'

 

'I'm glad. Which week is it?'

 

She sounds happy. As if she liked the idea of having a grandchild, in spite of Taehyung's young age. Taehyung realizes that she's the only person so far that has accepted the existence of it - of baby, Taehyung tries not to feel weird at the thought - so quickly and easily.

 

'Uhh... I think it's- eight week? Yeah.'

 

'Oh, it's third month soon!' Now, she really sounds excited. Taehyung almost can't believe his ears. 'Remember, take care of yourself. I know you, and don't interrupt me, but you always neglect your health. I hope you realize that you can't do it anymore, right?'

 

'Yes, mom. I know.' Taehyung rolls his eyes in exasperation.

 

'Alright, alright. We won't bother you anymore baby, but call us again soon, okay? We can choose then when you want us to come.'

 

'Mom. You know you-'

 

'Don't argue with me.' For a while she sounds authoritative and Taehyung wonders how it's possible that she can change her attitude so fast, but then she says calmly. 'And rest. We'll be hanging up now baby, but please, don't overwork yourself.'

 

Taehyung chuckles at that. 'Yeah. Okay, mom.' He grins, happy with the talk with his parents. 'I love you, mom, dad.'

 

'We love you too.' Taehyung grins wider. 'Remember, it'll be okay.'

 

It'll be okay.