Spring

Coffee Steps

This is around 855 words and it's not proofread. For that I apologize but I hope you enjoy the story!

Time seemed pass slowly after Baekhyun confessed angrily to Luhan, and Luhan contemplates everything he knows thus far. Is he attracted to him? What about Minseok? Is he attracted to him too? Luhan thinks about this as he does monotonous work of baking.

Looking over towards Baekhyun from the kitchen door, he sees him smile tightly at customers. He's not his usual self, and Luhan can't blame him. With nothing else to do with the lull of customers, Luhan continues to stare at Baekhyun, taking in his appearance. His dyed brown hair seems soft and fluffy, wavy locks curled around his head. His eyes sparkle, just as Luhan’s does, but tears seem to be gathering. Baekhyun breathes a deep breath, and blinks away his tears.

The pain in Luhan's heart cannot be explained. They're both hybrids, and they've been friends for a long time. They always helped each other during their heats, and became best friends before they started doing that. Seeing Baekhyun cry like this stings Luhan's heart. A spark of concern and love comes from it and that makes Luhan pause.

Love..? He's in love with Baekhyun? What about Minseok? Isn't he also in love with him? With a confused mind, Luhan starts baking pastries as customers pour in.

Minseok doesn't come by today, and Luhan somehow feels relieved at this fact. He doesn't want to confront his feelings just yet, so he's grateful yet sad that Minseok didn't come and that Baekhyun's outright ignoring him.

Baekhyun leaves as soon as their shift ends. Luhan's the only one who knows how to lock up, so he does so. Setting the alarm for the security system and locking up the front door when he's done with the inside, he notices Minseok. Once again Minseok is waiting outside for him. He seems bundled up more than yesterday in expensive looking clothes. Although the weather was warmer today, it's still cold enough to make Luhan shiver with his winter coat on.

Bright red cheeks and nose, his gaze cast downwards staring at the sidewalk rather than the sky. His downcast eyes make Luhan feel guilty somehow. Minseok cutely sniffles and shuffles his feet to warm up. He's wearing gloves with the fingertips cut out, and Adidas sweats with Running shoes. Since he's wearing a threadbare jacket again, and Luhan grows worried. Doesn't he have thicker clothing? Although he looks nice, it's not good to dress like this in cold weather.

Gathering his courage to face his feelings, Luhan quietly approaches him. Going up behind Minseok, Luhan surprises him by questioning, “Do you not have a thicker coat or something? You're going to get sick at this rate.”

Minseok jumps a little, nearly falling down and sheepishly turning towards Luhan replying, “I do have one, but it makes me too warm. I prefer the cold over warmth.”

“You worry me.”
 
“You worry about me?” Minseok asks with a hint of excitement. The excitement dampers the mood. The world grows silent, and Luhan slowly frowns. Looking away from Minseok, Luhan looks at the shop across the street. His heart clenches again with the thought of losing Minseok as a friend and potential partner. The hybrid he is wants only to be loved, and now two people love him. He feels a spark with Minseok, but he does with Baekhyun to. It makes Luhan feel confused. Is it possible to love two people at the same time?

Luhan already knows his answer to that question. Looking back to Minseok, he sees Minseok staring at him in worry. 

Briefly smiling Luhan asks, “Do you want to go walk in the park with me?”

Minseok nods with excessive force and shyly follows Luhan to the park nearby. Walking there in silence, Luhan feels calm within himself and draws upon it with the quietude of the approaching park. The Sakura trees are budding with flowers, signifying the start of spring and the start of love. The cold wind follows them inside the park; Luhan sits down on a bench and Minseok follows. Luhan contemplates telling Minseok today about his feelings, but something in him tells him to wait.

“What are you thinking about?” Minseok asks with concern and Luhan knows now that it's time.

“What if I said that I love two people, and that includes you?” Luhan questions solemnly. 

Luhan looks at Minseok again, and sees how baffled he looks. His mouth is hanging open, brow furrowed, cheeks tinted a darker shade of red, and he simply looks lost. Luhan watches as he processes the information. Then he turns his gaze to the lamps starting to light up as the sun goes down. Fog seems to surround the lights, perhaps it’s due to the warm of it. Luhan wishes he could go up there and find out why himself, but his tail curls up at the thought of that. Twitching his ears when he hears a long exhale, he turns to Minseok again.

“So, technically you love me right?” He asks after a long silence.

“Yes..?”

“Who else do you love?” He earnestly questions.

“Im also in love with Baekhyun.”