Ten Years Later

The Princess and The Dragon

Jang-mii sat on the edge of her windowsill, the silky fabric of her elegant gown unceremoniously bunched around her lap as she pulled her legs toward her chest, gazing expressionlessly down at the expansive kingdom stretched beyond the window. She had a magnificent view, her bedroom situated at the top of a tall tower on the edge of the palace, right next to the twelve-foot gray brick wall that surrounded the blooming gardens and magnificent castle. She had always possessed this view, and as she gazed into the town beyond she marveled at how much it had changed in ten years.

The town beyond the castle had expanded considerably, becoming a hub of trade and commerce unseen in many of the neighboring countries, despite the fact that Jang-mii’s country was comparably small. Beyond the brick walls, countless roofs were arranged in a grid-like pattern around cobblestone streets, where horse-drawn carriages rolled and townsfolk walked, going about their daily business. In the center, right in front of the grand gate that marked the entrance to the palace, bloomed a remarkable marketplace; within it colorful fabrics were displayed, swaying in the wind, and exotic fruits were piled into carts, and artisans skillfully created their wares, all in plain view of the customers. The majority of the population was congregated there, as Jang-mii could see the jostling crowds from her perch high above them. She imagined the wonderful aromas of fresh-baked pastries and exotic spices mingling in the air, and the cacophony of a hundred voices as merchant and buyer squabbled over prices. Indeed, only ten years ago, the castle town had been a sleepy, backwater place where merchants stopped to sell their wares for only a day or two on their way to the larger capitals surrounding the country.

Jang-mii was unsure just why the city had bloomed as suddenly as it did, as the royalty had not undergone industrialization as the surroundings countries had. Indeed, the capital was surrounded by abounding nature, a collection of forests and swamps and grasslands simply known as the wilds. Dirt roads connected the various communities scattered within the wilds, all diverse in function: to the northeast, hugging the mountainsides lie expansive mining communities; to the south, on the banks of a large river blossomed fishing towns; and to the west, where rolling fields and pastures were king, resided the many farmers of Jang-mii’s home. Perhaps the majesty of the wilds is what called the people here, or perhaps it was the scandal ten years ago that had caused the sudden influx in population.

Jang-mii was now seventeen. She had not seen Kris since that fateful discovery of the witch’s cottage, but not a day went by that she did not feel intense remorse for entering the wretched abode. The entire country had mourned the loss of her fiancé, but unlike Jang-mii, the people had seemed to move on, leaving the tragedy behind as life continued on. Of course, Jang-mii had changed considerably as well; her beauty was well-renowned throughout the continent, leaving suitors scrambling for her hand in marriage. She had beautiful black hair, cascading down her waist in brilliant waves. Her skin was soft and fair, and her cheeks rosy with the blush of youth; her body was sublime, with curves in all the right places. However, Jang-mii’s rich blue eyes were dead and cold, a window to her fractured soul, forever damaged by the loss of her beloved.

Time, however, disregarded that wound. Tomorrow, Jang-mii was to be married to her second fiancé, a prince from an eastern country. His name was Baekhyun, and she had never met him.

Jang-mii was roused from her thoughts when there came a quiet yet feverish knock at her ornate bedroom door. Her head turned as a maid rushed into the room, bowing politely before her tiny feet carried her over to her mistress.

“My lady, I have received orders from Her Highness to prepare you for the meeting with Lord Baekhyun,” she reported. Sadness aded Jang-mii’s features for a fleeting moment, drawing lines over her young face and darkening her features, but she instantly regained her regal demeanor. With a flourish, she rose from her spot on the windowsill, walking in front of the set of mirrors situated against her bedroom wall. It was a set of winged mirrors, the kind that showed a view from all sides. Another maid scurried into the room, a lavish dress folded into her arms, and bowed in front of Jang-mii.

“This is the dress your mother- Her Highness- has chosen for your meeting with Lord Baekhyun. It was custom-made by the finest tailor in the kingdom, My Lady. It is quite tasteful,” she chirped. With no response, Jang-mii shed her dress and raised her arms as the two maids began dressing her. Her cold eyes stared forward into the mirror, her breath catching as the corset was pulled tightly around her chest. The maids pulled the dress over her head, and the thick fabric past her hips and around her legs. It was a rich purple, with deep blue accents and a flowing train that trailed behind her as she walked. It was a gorgeous dress, but Jang-mii could find no joy in it, as she was about to meet the man that was acting as the replacement for the love of her life.

“Does it displease you, My Lady?” one of the maids asked anxiously.

“No, it is a beautiful gown,” Jang-mii answered with a sigh.

“You still miss Lord Kris. It was such a shame,” the other maid murmured. “I have heard that Lord Baekhyun is quite the gentleman, My Lady. Begging your pardon, but it has been almost ten years since Lord Kris vanished. Surely, there is room in your heart for a reputable prince like look Baekhyun. Rumor is he is quite attractive with a heart of gold,” the maid babbled. The girl’s words were wise, indeed, and Jang-mii wondered if it was unfair of her to be so attached to a dead man. At the very least, the prince deserved a chance to win her affections.

The maids escorted her to the royal throne room, where her mother and father sat side by side on gilded thrones with jeweled crowns resting upon their brows. Before them stood a prince in a dark tunic adorned with silver thread, with dark hair and dark eyes. He was very fair, and stood with an air of elegance as he rested a hand at the sturdy sword strapped to his hip. As Jang-mii entered, he turned to face her and instantly fell into a state of awe.

“Greetings, Lord Baekhyun,” Jang-mii murmured as she came to a stop in front of him. She curtsied politely, not meeting his awestruck gaze. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“Pardon me,” he stammered, bowing low to her. After a moment, he gently took her hand and brought it to his lips. “Forgive my rudeness. I was simply astonished by your beauty. It had heard it to be legendary, but words do not do justice, Princess.” A smile came to Jang-mii’s lips, but there was no warmth behind it, simply the coldness of a customary gesture required by such a royal matter.

Her mother noticed instantly.

“Jang-mii, darling, you must get your mind out of the past, child,” she scolded with a heavy sigh. She leaned her head slightly against her hand, her fingers pressed against her creased forehead. “Prince Baekhyun has traveled a long way, so the least you can do is give him the respect he deserves. You could not find a more honorable man to wed.” Baekhyun looked immensely confused, and glanced between mother and daughter as he struggled to comprehend the conversation.

Jang-mii remained silent, staring guiltily at the ground. Naturally, she wanted to cast away the heavy burden that her heart bore, to forget the tragedy that took her beloved. Her parents cast it off as a child’s “puppy love,” claiming that her feelings as a young child could not possibly have been sincere. Jang-mii knew, however, that was simply not the case; despite the fact that she had been only seven, she had experienced the bittersweet taste of love, and it had never left her.

“Perhaps you would like to show Baekhyun the gardens, Jang-mii,” her father suggested softly. “They are your favorite place in the palace, after all, and I am sure that you would like to share them with your husband-to-be.” Jang-mii nodded and gestured to Baekhyun for him to follow her, turning and walking over the shiny tile floors. She led him through the windowed halls, sunlight streaming in waves over the pair of them as they walked in silence, their footsteps muffled by the thick red rugs laid over the stone floors. Jang-mii was vaguely aware of the prince’s eyes trained on her, eagerly capturing her every movement.

“I wish we could have met sooner,” he remarked as they turned a corner. Their reflections flashed in the polished suits of armor lined up against the stone walls, their weapons in hand as if they were standing guard. “It is quite surreal. I just met you, but I am going to marry you tomorrow,” he added with a chuckle.

“Indeed. But it is our duty, is it not?” Jang-mii replied dismissively, glancing at the silver suits of armor and watching their reflections morph into a vague mix of colors and shapes.

“Indeed,” he echoed, frowning at Jang-mii’s resistance to conversation. At last they arrived to the castle entrance. Unlike many other castles, who focused on defensive structures like gated arches and moats, the entrance to Jang-mii’s castle was open to all, a magnificent arch embedded into a wall decorated with sculptures of fantastical creatures like fairies and unicorns and griffins. A cobblestone pathway paved the way to the iron gate in the palace way, which was currently closed due to Baekhyun’s visit. Spread out before the pair of royals were the magnificent and beautiful palace gardens.

Flowers of every color and shape were grown here, many imported from faraway countries and tended dutifully by the palace gardeners. Giant oaks and pines, taken as saplings from the wilds hundreds of years ago, were rooted beside the stone wall, which seemed to dwarf in comparison. Bees buzzed and butterflies fluttered from flower to flower, exploring the rich hues of red and yellow and white in their search for pollen. Small dirt paths round through the gardens, lined by neatly trimmed hedges that rose to one’s knees. Vines clutched the stone wall, smothering it as it s its way across the rocky surface. Its majesty could never be fully expressed in words alone, and for this reason the gardens’ beauty was nearly as famous as Jang-mii’s own.

“Incredible,” Baekhyun whispered. Jang-mii nodded, her shoulders now relaxed and her posture loosened. She felt at home in the gardens, as she had often played her as a child with Kris. Her eyes fluttered as Baekhyun offered a hand to her, and obligated, she gently took it and allowed him to lead her to the base of a giant oak tree. She sat down on her knees under the shade, tucking the edge of her dress under her legs as Baekhyun plopped down beside her in an informal way, with one leg stretched out before him and the other pulled up with his elbow resting on his knee. “So, what did your mother mean when she scolded you?” he asked bluntly.

“I was engaged before,” she responded. She saw no point in withholding the truth from him, as he would find out one way or another. “to a prince from the country to the west. It was decided that we would be married before I was born- he was three years older than me. We spent much time together, as our parents wanted us to be acquainted with each other so that we would have a happy marriage. However, ten years ago, he was taken by a witch when we snuck out into the wilds. I haven’t seen him since.” Baekhyun listened to her explanation with no interruption, nodding along. When she was finished, he sighed heavily and ran a hand through his hair.

“You must have loved him very much if you still mourn for him after all this time,” he remarked, and all Jang-mii could do was nod. Even now, sitting beside the handsome prince, her heart ached for Kris more than ever. Suddenly, the prince took both her hands in his own, looking intensely into her eyes.

“Jang-mii, I don’t wish to replace the one you’ve lost,” he began. “However, I do wish to marry you, very much. You are beautiful and graceful, more than any other woman I have ever seen, and I do believe whole-heartedly that we will be very happy together. I swear to treat you nobly. You’ll have everything you’ll ever desire- dresses, jewelry, exotic goods… as well as my heart, if you would do me the honor of receiving it.” His eyes were shining brightly, with a pleading eagerness that stirred Jang-mii’s long-frozen heart. The sincerity of the prince’s words moved her, and she found herself smiling softly, the first true smile she had shown in almost ten years.

“Thank you, Lo-“

“Just Baekhyun,” he interrupted awkwardly.

“Baekhyun,” she finished. “It truly means a lot to hear you say such things. I cannot promise that I can ever abandon my love, but I cannot guarantee that there is no room for you in my heart alongside him.” Baekhyun seemed quite pleased at this, and the pair spent the rest of the afternoon beneath the oak tree. The talked of many things, of Jang-mii’s kingdom and Baekhyun’s kingdom, of the places they each wished to visit, and of their aspirations of their future together. As time went on, Jang-mii felt the icy chains around her heart loosening, until at last they fell away and the door to her innermost feelings was forced open by the charismatic man. Soon they were laughing together underneath the shade of the leafy tree, leaning against each other as they giggled without a care in the world. The cloud over Jang-mii was blown away with the wind, if only for that brief moment that she shared with her husband-to-be. The returned to the throne room together, continuing to discuss various topics eagerly, until at last Jang-mii had to bid the prince farewell while he discussed the wedding arrangements with her father. Upon witnessing the interaction, her mother seemed quite pleased.

Jang-mii remained in her sunny mood well into the mind, captivated by the mysterious prince who had accomplished in a few hours what no one had managed to do for ten years. However, as she sat in front of the winged mirrors on a small stool while one of her attendants brushed her silky black hair, an old memory arose from the depths.

“Jang-mii, your hair is so beautiful. It’s the most soft and smooth I’ve ever seen.” Kris had remarked this to her when they had first met, and it was the oldest memory she had of the lost prince. She had been only three, clutching her father’s hand as she tottered down the tiled floor of the throne room to be introduced to her fiancé for the first time. Kris was six at that time, a grinning boy with dark hair and a contrastingly bright personality. One of his front teeth were missing, and he had a scratch on his cheek as if he had just been in a kind of scuffle. He ran from his father’s side to approach Jang-mii, looking her over with a satisfied nod. Then he had grabbed a strand of Jang-mii’s black hair and pressed it to his lips with a stupid grin. “Jang-mii, your hair is so beautiful. It’s the most soft and smooth I’ve ever seen.”

A single tear streamed down Jang-mii’s smooth cheek as she recalled the ancient memory. She had quite forgotten that first meeting, and was unsure why then it had chosen to resurface, upon the eve of her wedding. The brush continued to rhythmically flow through her long hair.

“Princess, you really do have such beautiful hair,” the attendant sighed dreamily.

“So they say,” Jang-mii uttered, closing her eyes with a shaky sigh. Tears were forced from her lashes as she squeezed her eyes tightly, struggling to regain control of her swirling emotions. “So they say.”

As Jang-mii stared from the window at night, restless and unable to sleep, she numbly stared at the stars glittering in the heavens above. The heavens were cruel, she had decided; they were mocking, watching her suffering with a cold indifference. Her heart was in turmoil. On one hand, she was attempting to embrace the future and the wonderful life she could live with Baekhyun, but on the other, the past was hesitant to relinquish its grip on her. As the sun rose over the castle town, spilling dawn’s glow across the cobblestones, Jang-mii watched as the townsfolk spilled from their abodes like ants. The preparations for her wedding were already underway, and by late morning Jang-mii would be clothed in her wedding dress to be escorted to the palace throne room.

As she stared into the receding night sky, she found herself wondering about Kris. She had never believed him to be dead, and wondered after all this time how he fared. Is he the witch’s servant? Did he escape? Does he reside in the wilds? and, perhaps the most important question of all, Does he remember me? As she pondered the unanswerable inquiries, she spotted something streak across the sky, a small flash of blazing light that lasted for a brief second. It was a shooting star, and Jang-mii could not help but pour her heart and soul into a desperate wish.

If you are alive, Kris, I wish you would rescue me from this cruel fate.

Far away, in the dank caves of the mountains lining the wilds, a dragon stirred.