01-14

Spellbound

You laid on your back, your eyes facing the ceiling as your mind struggled to make sense of the time now. The days passed by and nightfall came too quickly for you to actually take note. But who cares actually?

 

What date is it now?

 

Is it night time?

 

Your thoughts slowly get clouded when you got a glimpse of the photo of both of you by your bedside. Didn’t you throw everything away already? You remembered the day you took that picture and got reminded of those days when he held your hand so earnestly, looking at you, how his gaze held so much love and promises.

 

Those days. Where are they now?

 

You turned to your side, feeling that sinking feeling in your stomach. You huddled to a fetal position, trying to protect yourself from remembering again. The spot that you were lying felt damp. You brought your fingers to your face. Were those tears?

 

"Get up. Now. You need to stop being like this."

 

Baekhyun marched into your dark room and dragged you to an upright position. He stared into your dead eyes, his worried eyes scanning your pale face.

 

"Stop doing this to yourself. You're worth better, sweetheart." He growled, trying to shake some sense into you. Baekhyun sounded so frustrated, yet it seemed so tender at the same time.

 

"How long do you wish to mope? Kai is gone." Baekhyun's voice cracked, just a little, pulling you into a tight hug.

 

Kai was his friend too. Baekhyun did not love him less than you did.

 

"Let's do this for him." Baekhyun hugged you tighter. "We have to. It's the only way to remember him right."

 

Your quiet sobs morphed into loud breathless heaving of uncontrollable tears. You hugged Baekhyun tighter, wishing that somehow he could do something to make all this sadness vanish. The tears fell continuously. You did not even cry, not when you found out. Now, it just felt like a part of you had just broken and unleashed this dam of tears that you kept bottled up for way too long.

 

Baekhyun's heart clenched a little, as he saw how much of a shadow you were from your past. How frail you have become. He was wrecked too, but he had to be strong for you. He had promised Kai that he would be there, no matter what.

 

"C'mon. Let's go." Baekhyun pats your back soothingly and whispered against your hair. "We're gonna be late."

 

You felt too still and too quiet.

 

"Hey. Are you okay?" Baekhyun shook your limp body. "Hey!"

 

You knocked out, merely exhausted from all the crying.

 

You closed your eyes, as the voice of Baekhyun getting softer, letting yourself be swallowed by the gaping blackhole of memories. At least you could meet him there again.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

 

"Jagiyaaaaa~"

 

Kai slung his arm over you, his tanned face morphed into a cheeky grin as he found you amongst the crowded corridor.

 

You smiled back sweetly as you turned to face Kai. How could you not? Kai was easily the most charming guy you have ever known ..... when you both were 5 years old? You know that he had something up his sleeve or someone that he wanted to avoid whenever he acted like that.

 

You pinched his cheeks the hardest you can, eyes twinkling with mischief as you answered, "Yes, babe?"

 

"Did you wait long?" Kai answered with his teeth clenched in pain, while trying to pry your fingers off his cheeks.

 

"Nope."

 

Kai searched for your tiny hands and slides it into his big warm ones, tugging you along.

 

"Let's go. Oppa's treat today."

 

Your eyes filled with questions that Kai answered back with the equal movement of his eyes and brows and you understood that it was probably another one of those fangirl of his trying to get too close for his comfort.

 

Funny how being together this long allows you to understand each other without words. You wondered if this only happened for the both of you.

 

Curious, you tried to take a peek at the stalker behind at the same time Kai leaned in, causing him to lightly graze your lips.

 

His eyes crinkled into crescents and he burst out laughing when he saw your flushed face and your widened eyes.

 

You can't help but to use laughter to cover your embarrassment and your thundering heart beats.

 

 

That was my first kiss.

 

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

 

Settling down into the stall after queueing for almost 20 minutes when both of you decided that mandu was the way to go after a successful escape from Kai's stalker.

 

"So, do I need to know who is that so I can name her as my killer?" You eyed Kai as threateningly as you could but the mandu were served and you got distracted by the steaming buns.

 

They were famous for a definite reason.

 

"Don't over exaggerate please." Kai took the liberty of taking the first mandu and stuffed it into his mouth. "She was not the first anyways."

 

You gaped at the audacity of him taking the first mandu and him leaving you in the hands of his stalkers.

 

Kai was one of the trio that topped the "Would Bang Anyday" list of every girl at school, alongside with his good friends, Baekhyun and Sehun.

 

Sehun represents the sunshine boy and athleticism. Tall, handsome and a jock is another way of putting it. He was a jack of all trades, all smiles and quiet charms.

 

Baekhyun could serenade you any song and it would sound as if you were wrapped in blankets of melted chocolate. The fact that he could be cute or y or both, was a major bonus.

 

Ugh.

 

Kai, oh that smirk and the mischievous glint in his eyes? The way he moves his lithe body to the beat? Dangerous. It was as if he was tempting you, swaying you to the edge as he turned his hypnotic gaze upon you.

 

It's no wonder they are called Charlie's Devils.

 

The day Kai introduced you to the other two was the day all hell unleashed.

 

Baekhyun was the nicest out of the three of them, always offering to walk you to places just in case. That resulted in a tiny crush and a major soft spot for him, which was obviously found out by Kai.

 

Childish.

 

Obnoxious.

 

Ignorant.

 

Kai.

 

 

The sound of Kai's loud munching brought you to reality and a very miserable mandu left.

 

Kai stopped munching when he felt your accusing glare, giving you a wide boyish grin and a very nasty show of how he was thoroughly enjoying your mandu.

 

"Uh, at least I left you something?"

 

You picked up the very last mandu and chewed slowly, letting your mind wonder back to earlier on.

 

You sighed softly.

 

Looking at the boy in front of you eating messily and noisily just like a child, you just rolled your eyes and wondered why anyone would fall for him.

 

Ugh.

 

Definitely not you.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

 

"Are you feeling better, cupcake?"

 

Baekhyun slumped forward, a little of his tension being relieved when he saw you stirred. The worry for you was so palpable yet in contrast of the way he your hair gently.

 

You slowly took in the image of his unruly hair, unmatched tie hanging loosely around his neck, his dark circles and the shadow of stubble forming.

 

I did this to Baekhyun.

 

The toll of having to juggle work and you was evidently taking a toll on him. It was visible in his eyes that he did not had a proper rest in days.

 

You should not let anyone suffer in your stead anymore.

 

Not because of you.

 

You cleared your throat to get Baekhyun's attention. His eyes flicked rapidly towards yours, questions ablaze.

 

Your voice quiet, but filled with determination. "I'm ready, Baekhyun."

 

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

 

Kai was staring at you, while you were staring at Baekhyun with obvious hearts in your eyes.

 

Kai had known you since forever. What did he not know or expect was that he unconsciously started to compare every girl that he dated to you.

 

How you could comfort him silently, just by being there.

 

How you could reassure him without boosting his ego.

 

How you would keep him grounded and humble every single time his achievements made him want to fly to sky.

 

How you could make him feel like himself.

 

It's like a Kai without the mask, yet you're always accepting of his faults and push him do better and to be a better person.

 

Kai felt overwhelmed with a sudden need to be protective over you when he saw how you blushed over the way Baekhyun tucked a stray strand of your hair behind your ears.

 

"Stop staring, or you'd burn holes in both their heads." Sehun teased, getting into the seat beside Kai.

 

"I wasn't?" Kai nervously gulps down his water, trying sneak another glance over to your side. "Why would I anyways?"

 

"You can lie all you want, but it’s way too obvious." Sehun nodded to himself, sipping his own water, looking at Baekhyun and you.

 

Kai figeted in his seat awkwardly.

 

Was he that obvious?

 

"Anyways, if you don't make a move soon, you know she'd be gone, right?"

 

Kai took a long look at the sight in front of him. Does he want to take the risk and spoil whatever you two have now? Kai swallowed hard. He knew that he needed you in his life but he was not sure if this was what he thought he wanted from you.

 

Just then, he saw you laughing at Baekhyun's jokes and how you two were exchanging soft gazes.

 

 

He was not called a devil for nothing.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

 

“Hey, wanna come over my house to study tonight?” Jongin was skipping beside you, linking his hands with yours. “We could do pizza and ice cream after that?”

 

You rolled your eyes. Why was he being more irritating and touchy than usual?

 

“No. I promised Baekhyun oppa that we would study together already.” You tried to unlink your arms when you reached the traffic junction.

 

“You do not study anyways. What changed?” You narrowed your eyes. “Who are you trying to impress this time? Is it the new TA?”

 


Kai sputtered at your exclamation, but before he can say anything, you were already running across the traffic towards Baekhyun.

 


“Bye, Kai~” You waved a little too enthusiastically. “See you tomorrow!”

 


Kai looked at dejectedly at both of you. He wanted to shout the words that he had kept inside for so long.

 

 

The new and the only girl that he had actually had his eyes on.

 

 

It’s you, dummy.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

 

You took in shaky breath, staring at the dark building. Your vision blurred slightly and you could barely stand straight without swaying a little.

 

You felt Baekhyun’s fingers, digging your sides, tugging you upright.

 

“Are you sure you wanna do this?” Baekhyun rubbed his face tiredly. “We can do this another time if you want. We don’t have to rush into this.”

 

“I have to face this one day.” You clenched your fists tight.

 


A step forward.

 


“What better time than his birthday?”

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚

 

 

 

Kai was really starting to get on your nerves.

 

His numerous texts. Him trying to send you to school every morning and picking you up after every different class that you two have. How he tried to get you to study with him every other day. Or his ice cream and movie session?

 

What is wrong with him?

 

“What is wrong with you Kai?” You almost shouted, if not given the fact that you were in the library.

 

“What’s wrong with me?”

 

He looked so innocently confused that you almost got tricked into believing that he was sincere about not knowing anything. Almost. You have known him too long to be tricked.

 

“Are you stalking me? Where’s Sehun?” You looked around for the taller guy.


“This better not be a prank or bet on me between you two.” You hissed. “Because I just about had enough of this.”

 

“Why? Can’t we hang out anymore?” Kai leaned forward, almost too close for comfort. His voiced laced with quiet venom.

 

“Or did Baekhyun hyung said something about that?”


You were appalled. How could you missed bitter tone or the fact that he spat Baekhyun’s name in such a grotesque manner. You stared back at him.

 

Who is this new Kai?

 

Was this jealousy?

 

You threw your books into your bag, slowly feeling your rage build up. You did not want to face Kai now, not the way that he is acting right now. It was pure childishness.

 

“Hey, where are you-” Kai grabbed your arm.

 

You gave him so filled with anger that left Kai flinching his hand away quickly as if he touched something hot.

 

Kai quickly followed suit and chased after you. He recognized that you were angry but he did not understand what did he do to piss you off?


Kai panicked. He was afraid that he would lose you before telling you how he felt. He felt relieved when he saw that you were waiting for him outside the library. Kai felt the quiet waves of rage from you as he approached you.

 

“Wait. Why are you angry?” He was genuinely confused. “What did I do?”

 

“Kai.” You could not keep the sharp bite out of your tone. “Mind explaining what do you want from me?”

 

Kai stared at you, like he was looking at fine china. He knew what he finally wanted.

 

“I want this.”

 

He leaned in, giving you a chaste kiss on the lips. It was so gentle that you wondered if it really did happen. His soft breaths breezing your cheeks and it seemed to fan the deep desire that you never knew that you were suppressing for a long time.

 

Kai gave a small groan as he forced himself to pull back, not wanting to scare you again although he wished for nothing other than to pull you in for another kiss.

 

The shock was evident in your eyes as he pulled away, the realization seeped in.

 

I wanted this too.

 

Looking at your half lidded eyes and your parted lips, Kai could not resist giving you another kiss. He took a deep breath before leaning again. This time the question clear in his eyes as he seek your permission to do more and better. You closed your eyes and leaned forward, throwing all caution to the wind.

 

 

Kai was not afraid to show you how he felt through his actions. He was not going to let you go this time.

 

You two did not stop till you parted to catch your breath. The slight panting made you look up, only to notice Kai's parted pink lips. Your cheeks flushed rosy pink as your eyes met with Kai who was staring back at you unwaveringly, oozing with want.

 

Did .. we just?

 

Your silent staring made Kai uncomfortable and nervous. Did I do something wrong again? Kai shuffled his foot over an imaginary spot on the floor.

 

"You're not uh, mad, are you?"

 

You almost burst out laughing when you saw how Kai switched to this insecure guy when you two just had the best kiss of your life.

 

"I think I am." You grinned, pulling him into another kiss. "Because I want more now."

 

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚

 

 

It was easier to tell yourself that you were just friends but the actual fact that you wanted more just makes you on edge.

 

After that day, Kai just went back to his old self except being occasionally a tad nicer, if not more civil than usual. You understood that you both needed some time to re-analyze the change in your friendship but you thought that it was rather obvious that you wanted to be more than just friends. You blushing every time when Kai was around was practically a loud blaring neon sign. Or how your gaze just land on him at every single moment you could.

 

You let out a resigned sigh when it had been two weeks since you had received any sign from Kai that he actually was even remotely interested in you.

 

"You should just let him know what you want. You know, because, guys are dumb?" Baekhyun nudged you with his shoulder playfully.

 

"What do I want?" You fought the urge to smack yourself in the face for your stray thoughts, as you thought back to that night.

 

"I'm not even sure myself anymore."

 

 

Yes, you have told Baekhyun since he was pretty much your only good friend, albeit being a guy. You wanted a girl's opinion but having a proper conversation with the girls in school proves to be a feat when all they really want to know was your relationship with the boys and if they're single or not. It left you pretty much a loner, if not for the boys. Besides, Baekhyun does offer a good listening ear.

 

It didn't help when you noticed Kai and Sehun walking from the basketball court at the back. Your breath was caught in your throat as you noticed the glistening of his perspiration dripping down his chiselled jaw line. Since when was he this attractive? His eyes caught yours and before he could give a smile, you turned your side, smiling at the older guy.

 

Looking at you from a distance, his gaze hardened when Kai noticed Baekhyun was practically pasted by your side.

 

Why had it be Baekhyun hyung again?

 

You did not want to play these mind games anymore. You could not.

 

"Sorry Baekhyun oppa, I've got something on and to leave first." You left before Baekhyun could even object.

 

 

Kai probably having a better time without you, while you had to struggle with the thought of wanting him. You thought of the worst scenario – that both of you had to ever break your friendship just because that you want more. The thought of you leaving Kai and the boys had your heart clenching in fear. You frowned, you only had them as your friends, who else would be yours? Dark thoughts loomed your mind. You got distracted and did not watched where you were going.

 

You knocked into two girls.

 

"Hey, watch where you are going!?" Two girls looked at you with disgust.

 

One of them screeched when she saw a tiny stain on her bag, “That, was my branded bag that I just bought! Omg, you blind bat.” She stomped towards you, hands raised with every notion of hurting you.

 

"Leave her alone." Kai snarled. You stared at the menacing smile he gave. It contorted his pretty features but he had never been more dashing. “I’m not in a good mood today, so you two better leave. Now.”

 

The two girls scrambled away when they saw his piercing look. You could not help but let out a small sigh of relief. Kai turned his gaze at you at your sigh. You squirmed under its intensity. Did he turn hotter in two weeks or what?

 

"Thanks for your help." You mumbled, eyes looking at anywhere but at Kai, afraid that you would give away how you felt.

 

 

In three smooth strides, Kai closed the distance between you two. He has not seen you in a long while but all you were doing right now was to avoid his gaze and shunning him when you were just all smiles and laughter with Baekhyun hyung. The thought of it made Kai clenched his fists.

 

“Look at me.” Kai demanded.

 

You stared back at him defiantly. You were grateful for his help but his tone was a little too overboard. Enough was enough.

 

“After all this while and this is the way that you’re talking to me now?” You could not keep the sarcasm out of your witty mouth.

 

Kai narrowed his eyes. He was not in the mood to play. Not after what he saw.

 

“Why? Does Baekhyun hyung talked to you in a different way?” Kai sneered. “Cutely? Lovingly?”

 

You stared at him in horror, tears b. You will not cry. You willed yourself not to. Not in front of him.

 

“I’m done, Kai. I quit.”

 


“Talk to me.” Kai gripped your hand in place, his gaze hardens. “I need to know why.”

 

“Why Baekhyun hyung?” Kai murmured, sounding defeated.

 

“Why did you even drag Baekhyun oppa into this?” You questioned, incredulous at his oblivion. "I'm sorry but I did not know that I have to tell you right in the face that I like you, jerk. Not Baekhyun oppa!"

 

"Me?"

 

Kai’s voice was raspy and hesitant, as he thumbed your jawline softly and tipped your chin upwards, bringing your eyes to meet his. You stared at him, looking at the doubt swimming in those lovely irises. He had hoped, but you didn’t tell him that you wanted him just as much as he wanted you.  Kai needed to hear those words of affirmation from you.

 

You felt a smile zapped across your face, hoping to ease his worries, despite the relentless butterflies in your stomach whom were fluttering at his touch.

 

“I didn’t know you wanted me too…” His voice is soft but happy. Kai was elated as he pulled you in for a kiss. A kiss that silenced all your doubts. Kai made sure that you felt his utmost sincerity and affection with every sweep and flick of his tongue.

 

How much time did you guys wasted spending apart?

 

Kai caresses your face lovingly, resting his forehead against yours, panting slightly. He would never let you go now that he knows.

 

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚

 

 

You two had been together for six months now and Kai never been happier. He felt like his life was on track and all he had was the final competition that would set his scholarship in place in one of the best arts school in Korea, if he were to win it.

 

 

However, Kai's legs had been hurting for a while now. At first, he thought that it was due to the strenuous dance choreography for the upcoming dance competition. He was considering to see the doctor after the competition but you had nagged him to get it checked soon. Besides, the pain was too overwhelming to ignore at this point.

 

 

"Is this something bad?" Kai rubbed his hands nervously. He should have asked you along. Everything was better with you by his side.

 

The doctor's grave expression was giving Kai bad vibes. It resembled those sad movies that you loved watching, whereby the doctor was giving the patient a final verdict, ending it with words of comfort and many apologies. Kai hated those movies. Hearing the doctor apologizing profusely made Kai wonder what he was actually apologizing for. The probability that he would die young or the fact that medicine this advance could not even do anything about his situation?

 

Kai almost burst out laughing at the irony of this. The bitter tone reflected his inner thoughts. It was almost like the movies, except that it was about his own. Kai just left the doctor’s office, not wanting to be a part of this absurd lie.

 

 

... sorry ... cancer ... no cure ... 6 months ...

 

 

The highlight of the doctor's speech circled in Kai's head like a broken tape. The sanitized smell of the hospital did nothing but to make him feel nauseated and dizzy. Kai took his bag and walked off to the nearest handicap toilet. Kai slumped onto the toilet floor, staring at the white empty tiles, fingers intertwined in his toussled hair. His quiet sniffles turned into devastating sobbing as the realization that sets in. I am going to die.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚

 

 

You felt your breathing quicken with each step. Your hands felt cold and clammy, your throat dry. Your nerves were in tatters but it was too late to turn back now. You took a nervous glance at Baekhyun, whom understood what you need. Baekhyun took your hands and gave you a reassuring smile. You returned the favour with a small smile.

 

 

Gotta be brave.

 

 

You moved a step forward, ready to face him again.

 

 

Just like Kai.

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

Kai's family was in chaos when they found out about Kai's condition. They made Kai visit the family doctor to reconfirm and that only resulted in more uproar as they tried to hire the best doctor and demanded the best cure.

 

Kai was dragged back and forth between hospitals, home and school. His family wanted to take Kai out of school however, Kai insisted on being treated normally. He wanted to go to school. He wanted to hang out with his friends.

 

Kai wanted to still feel like he was normal.

 

You struggled to treat him the same as per his request. Following him to dance practice and back to the hospital. Watching him look weaker and frailer by the day, it felt like a part of you slowly dying along with him, yet you cannot do anything to improve his situation. You always try to keep a smile when you were by his side, but the tears would not stop when you lay beside him, feeling how thin he had become.

 

You were infuriated at his reluctance to undergo chemotherapy for fear that he would drop all his hair and appear less handsome than he was. That, of course, was utter rubbish.

 

“Please.” He begged. “Only you would understand.”

 

You stared back at him, wordlessly. You know that this will rile Kai up even more, but you do not wish to say any more things that could potentially hurt both of you. All you could do was just to grab him into a tight hug and hold him closer, as close as you can, for fear that one day he would just disappear without a goodbye.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

The said 6 months was approaching faster. Everyone was on edge. It could be seen in the eyes of his parents, his close friends and you. Everyone tried to spend as much time with Kai as possible.

 

Kai insisted on entering the competition. He managed to coerce his way through by putting on a show and through some sniffling, muttering something about his last wish. You rolled your eyes at how childish Kai was.

 

With his remaining strength and time, he took to the dance studio, practicing with his teacher. Most of the time he had spent in the dance studio has not come to waste since Kai actually looked happier than he was 6 months ago.

 

“I want to leave this world as a dancer. I want to show the world that even with an illness, you can still be the brightest star.” Kai mumbled one day after his practice.

 

He laid on your laps and you mindlessly his hair, gazing lovingly at him. You may not have enough time with Kai as his lover, but this short period with him had been magical.

 

The Kai now was a shadow of his past. His whole face has sunken in, the dark eyes circles and the bones jutting out because he was so thin now. His physical state might be diminishing yet the sparkle in Kai's eyes remain strong when he saw the stage. His excitement was contagious as you laughed at how child-like he looked.

 

"Give me a good luck kiss." Kai poked his cheeks cheekily.

 

Kai bent a little, leaning towards you. You stood on tip toes, to stretch the last bit of distance. The sweet scent of his cologne on him, making you dizzy. You bring a hand up to his chest to steady yourself because Kai was Kai and Kai will always have this effect on you.

 

“Get ready to be spellbound by me.” Kai whispered huskily in your ears. “Forever.”

 

He strolled to the centre of the stage whereby the spotlight shone. Kai stood there, eyes illuminated by the bright lights, searching for you. Kai found you in the crowd, like how he would always do. You mouthed “Fighting!” and he graced you with a small smile.

 

The moment One and Only came on, Kai was mesmerizing as he fluidly move through the movements. His stage presence was daunting yet it pulls you in like a magnet. Kai was a showman, through and through. He had come thus far, enduring it all. You had never been more proud of the man he had become, fondness blatant in your eyes.

 

The hushed silence as you and the rest of the audience watched on in awe. Kai wanted it to be a surprise for you, so he had never let you watched him practice for this dance.

 

It was as if Kai casted a spell upon all of you with every point and twist. Every flick of his hand, drawing you deeper along with each beat and rhythm.   

 

Upon doing his last spin, his eyes met with yours, staring at you with so much love. Kai mouthed I love you before ending it in a swirl.

 

A thud and Kai was lying on the stage of the floor. The audience took it as a sign that the performance ended, rousing a standing ovation. The applause was thunderous yet your heart felt cold at the stillness of the body.

 

Kai.

 

You choked back on the tears. You stared at the limpness of his body and started sobbing. Kai’s parents rushed to the stage, the teachers rushed to call the ambulance. But it was all too late. You stood rooted to your spot.

 

You heard your name being called. Baekhyun was there, shielding you from the scene. There was this strange ringing in your ears and everything seemed to slow down. You felt so numb yet your legs found the strength to move on her own. You pushed Baekhyun far enough to take baby steps towards the stage.

 

Towards Kai.

 

The first thing you saw was Kai’s legs. Your gaze slowly moved up, towards his face. You saw Kai was lying there in his parents’ arm, with a smile. He looked so peaceful. It felt like he was just sleeping. You wanted to wake Kai up so bad. Just to say goodbye. You did not even get to say goodbye and he was gone.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

You hated the fact that he left you like that but you could understand his choice of place. The stage was a place where nobody could replace in his heart. The passion that burned so warmly in his heart was the reason he held on so long despite being in so much pain. Now, he was in a better place. That was what you hoped for.

 

"I'll wait outside for you, doll." Baekhyun gave you a little push inside, chuckling, "He would probably hate that I'm with you again."

 

"Yell, if you need help though?"

 

You gave Baekhyun a grateful smile and headed in.

 

You looked through the glass that held the remains of him. Photographs. The gold medal from the competition. Every single one held a special memory in your heart. The bright, warm smile of his. That glowing bronze skin. You smiled at those memories. There was an envelope stating your name inside. You reached for it, curious. It was a thumb drive inside.

 

 

。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。   。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・。    。・゚・゚ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ・゚・

 

 

Kai was dressed in your favourite white tee and a light denim jeans. He cleared his throat nervously as he adjusted the camera to face him. Kai gave a dashing smile and pointed to the camera.

 

“Don’t laugh but I think you will love me more after this.” He grinned confidently.

 

 

To my lovely girlfriend,

 

Thank you for always being here for me. You're always the angel in my heart. My one and only. I apologize for not letting you know how much you meant to me every day.

 

I was not the perfect boyfriend but you always let me feel otherwise. You make me feel the happiest man throughout the days we were together.

 

I would not remember you any otherwise. Thank you for everything. You have worked hard for long. It's okay now. It's time to let go and be free of me.

 

I now announce you to be free of Kai's spell.