Chapter 2

Blood Stained Roses

 

Hello!

Well as promised, it is Thursday and I have chapter two. Thank you so much to those who have subscribed to this fiction. I will work hard to bring you a great story. Also thank you to those who have upvoted it. I hope you enjoy and don't forget to leave a comment. 


Nam Soon opened the book cover revealing the return log. Eyeing the log, he turned to the computer inputting the book’s serial number. The woman standing before him evaded his gaze knowing the reason for his hard expression. She attempted a shy smile, but to Nam Soon, it just looked like blatant flirting with her flashing her pearly whites and batting her long, dark eyelashes at him. If she thought that was going to change her outcome, then she was in for a surprise.

“This is your fourth time returning a book past its due date.” He stated grimly.

“I know but this month has been really busy and I wasn’t able to return it until today.” The woman leaned on the counter displaying her perky . Her attempted shyness melted away into a look of down right lustfulness, which Nam Soon would argue had been there all along. Her openness was agitating; however,  he was much more agitated with the fact that she continually stared at the collar on his neck.

“Ma’am, this book was due three months ago and in accordance to the library return policy, I am going to have to charge you the full amount.”

The woman was taken aback for words. She couldn't understand how her charms weren’t working on this lowlife omega. Had she been an Alpha, it wouldn't have been a problem.

“Is there a way for you to defer the charges until another time?” Her voice was sickly sweet and warranted a gag from Nam Soon.

 “Ma’am-”

“Da Yeong. Call me Da Yeong.” She beamed.

“Da Yeong-ssi,” the name tasted like rotten fish in his mouth. He would be sure to rinse it out after he was done, “You have had your fees deferred for the last three times and we cannot afford to overlook someone of your recklessness. I am afraid you will need to pay back your fees in full today or I will revoke your library card and possibly get the police in the matter.”

 Nam Soon almost couldn't contain his smile. She looked dumbfounded and lost all at the same time. There had to be a word for such a look. Well whatever it was, he was enjoying seeing it on the woman's face.

“W-well are you sure there is nothing that can be done about the fee?”

“Da Yeong-ssi, you owe one hundred seventy-three thousand, seven hundred and ten won. While I would love to help you, my associates tell me they have already let you off the hook but not today. So please pay your bill or I will get security and the police up here.”

 Da Yeong’s mouth dropped and each time she tried to find words but couldn’t, she ended up looking like a fish out of water, hence the fishy taste of her name in his mouth.

“You know what,” she spat, “Here, take your money but don’t expect me to come back here anytime soon.”

“I hope during that time you won’t have another one of our books. You’ll accrue more fee’s that way.”

The woman looked as if she were ruffling her non-existent feathers, but now that Nam Soon thought about it, she could have been shaking with anger and embarrassment. She did an about face and hurriedly walked out of the library, her heals marking her every step.

He sighed and placed the book on a dolly to be returned to its original spot.

“Wow Nam Soon, you were so cool. That’s why we have elected you the one to deal with hard people like her.” Kang Joo hoisted herself onto the checkout counter, keeping her hawk like eyes on Nam Soon. “So how was the thing?”

“What thing?”  He scrunched his eyebrows together. He was trying to find the binder that held the list for all the hard people who thought they could get away with turning in past due books.

“The thing… you know the event about the tree and stuff near the school?”

He paused. If anything, he would rather not talk about it because it, like the woman, left a sour taste in his mouth.

“It was decent; all the children from the school were there. There were some banners and I gave a small speech.”

“Ooh! My Nam Soon gave a speech, what did you say?”

“I really don’t want to talk about it so please, let’s end the conversation here.”

“Tch, fine Mr. Grumpy.”

She slid off of the counter, just because she wanted to respect her friends wishes of dropping the conversation didn’t mean she wasn’t going to find out on her own. A ringing noise caught her attention and she raced to help the customer.

Nam Soon felt relief, if there was one thing Kang Joo could do, it was hound you for answers and he didn’t really want to go through that. His mind slipped back to the Public Relations Event, it was really nice, but being an Omega was wrought with hardship and he got to experience some of it earlier that morning.

 

***

Earlier that Day

 

Nam Soon kept his hands at ten and two on the steering wheel- what he normally did when he was upset- while the bodyguard sat in the passenger seat. He didn’t seem like a bodyguard with his casual dress code and his lax posture, he supposed he would have to take Heung Soo’s word for it.

“So, have you done any other guarding gigs or…”

“I’m not at liberty to say.”

Well, that had backfired.  He didn’t like the situation, but at least he was trying to make conversation with the person he couldn’t care less about. It was going to be a long day and he wasn’t quite sure he would make it the entire day.

He pulled his Honda Accord into a small parking lot near the school. Yes he has a Honda, unlike his douche of a Husband, he enjoyed not being the center of attention which is also why he decided to walk the rest of the way instead of parking closer where he would be swarmed by cameramen and journalists.  Many people didn’t know about his situation. Only the “important people”-Heung Soo liked to call them- knew about them but since the news and tabloids like to strew everyone’s business for the world to see, he was given the title of Public Relations Specialist within Heung Soo’s company. That way, people wouldn’t question what an omega was doing speaking at important public events and what he was doing with the supposedly most eligible bachelor. People are so disgusting. Who cares if he’s an omega? Apparently everyone.  

Saki kept a few paces behind him. Nam Soon had a couple questions regarding the man assigned to him. First his name did not sound Korean, it sounded more Japanese. What was a Japanese man doing bodyguarding in Korean? Another thing he thought weird was the man being behind him. He always assumed bodyguards walked in front of the person they were protecting, but what did he know?

He walked past the students before taking his place to the left of the podium. They all looked young, which was to be expected since the grade was elementary school. He couldn’t understand why they would distract children from their studies for some tree. It’s not even a host of trees, only one. A waste of ing time coming out here. Most of the children were talking amongst themselves, others looked unenthusiastically at the small sapling. That’s what his expression was, unenthusiastic.

An older man walked up to the podium and tapped the microphone. He smelled like a proud Alpha, but Nam Soon couldn’t figure out what he was proud of. Was providing a tree to school that already had trees that great of a thing?  His suit was pressed and starched till even he looked stiff in it and on top of that his hair was combed over so that the few strands he did have made three lines over the top of his balding head. Plus, he was sweating profusely.  Eww.    

The older man cleared his throat.

“Today is a momentous occasion...”              

Some of the children focused with sharp eyes, while others with those same eyes noticed the man's appearance. Why would they send a questionable looking older man to open the ceremony?

“...And now, please help me in applauding the Public Relations Specialist for ΩMEGA.” Nam Soon stepped up to the podium a wide, fake smile gracing his lips. Let’s see what bull he would pull out of his this time.

“I know many of you were expecting CEO Park Heung Soo, but in his absence, he wants me to assure you of his regret of not being able to attend todays event. I’m sure he would have been pleased to see all the young, bright faces of our future standing in the crowd.” There was a pause for applause and he continued. “This tree is more than just a gift from ΩMEGA. It symbolizes hope and the long journey to a promising and bright future. Children, just like this sapling, you will grow and mature into adults but there will be hardships. There will be harsh winds and droughts that will try to knock you over and tire you out. However, there are so many who will nourish you and tend to you so your roots can take hold and you can bloom in adversity.” Another round of applause. “I want to say this especially to all Omega students. You will meet with many obstacles, probably more than your Beta and Alpha friends, but I want you to know that you can be anything you wish. I can testify as I started from humble beginnings just like you and now I am able to stand before you with my head held high.”

He felt disgusting. Lying to those young, optimistic faces twisted his heart in more ways than one. How could he stand to tell them that they didn't stand a chance in a harsh and unforgiving world. Even he himself was no better. The first sign that he could get a taste of the good life and he came running like the lowly Omega he was. Even if the world was slowly opening up to Omegas and demanding equality he could tell from experience that there was no such thing in a world that depended on there being bottom feeders for the rich and wealthy to step on. Tears pricked at his eyes and he felt his cheeks become tinted with pink. He needed to stop before he messed up.

“So we thank ΩMEGA for their contribution and don’t forget to work hard. Fighting!” He ended his speech and stepped back allowing the man to take his place again in front of the podium. Upon stepping back, he caught the disgust on the old man’s face as their shoulders brushed. How ironic. It seemed that the old man was not too fond of the idea of Omegas being able to run around freely. What a jerk.

Forty-five minutes of standing and finally the event was over. Some of the journalist asked his opinion about Omega Equality but he turned down every attempt  to answer. Cameras shuttered and flickered on and off.  

“Excuse me, ahjussi?” A small girl had pushed her way through the crowd of adults. Her hair was swept to the back with a blue ribbon and her cheeks were flushed. “Did you really mean what you said about Omegas?”

Nam Soon’s breath caught in his throat, did he really look that old? He was only twenty-six. He lightly nodded his head and grinned at the little girl.

Her light brown eyes were like saucers, open wide with all the dreams and aspirations that would be ripped right from under her.

“Of course I meant what I said. Why do you ask?” He knelt down to her level. She seemed short for a sixth grader.

“Um...because…” Her eyes shifted from left to right, like she had a secret she couldn't stand to let get out. She gestured him to come closer Nam Soon’s ear now lightly pressed to her pink lips.   “I recently presented as an Omega.”

His heart didn’t crack, nor did it chip. Instead, it broke into pieces for the little girl. She looked too precious and unfortunately because of her status as an Omega, she would always be labeled with some type of stigma. Either she would be too delicate to perform certain tasks or because of her heat, she would be called a . All types of situations ran through his mind at lightning fast speed so fast that it ripped a gasp from him and he almost lost his balance. He hugged her. Not only to ground himself to the spot, but to silently pass on what little strength and dignity he had left, to her.  

“Well, you are going to have to work really hard from now on aren’t you?” He whispered.

She nodded and returned the gesture. Her small arms wrapped around his neck.

“I want to be like you when I grow up.”

She stated simply as if what he did was the greatest thing in the world.

No, please don’t say that. Don’t be  like me.

“Well if that is the case, I expect to hear great things about you, right?”

She nodded one more time. Her toothy grin glued his broken heart back together; in that moment, he pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote his number on it.

“How about this, if you ever need anything, call me okay? This is your last year in elementary and you will be heading to middle school, there will be a host of new challenges there for you. So be prepared okay?”

“Yes, Sir!” She snatched up the note and hugged him one last time before running back to her class.

“Well isn’t that heart-warming, an Omega talking with a child.”  

Nam Soon steeled himself before facing the older man.    

“It is always a pleasure to listen to children. They are our future you know?”

The man didn’t respond just stared at him. Actually, it was more than staring, the man was literally undressing him with his eyes. The sudden motion of the man swinging his arms open almost caused Nam Soon to flinch.

“Why don’t we get a picture together?”

Nam Soon looked reluctant. From the man’s demeanor he hadn’t looked too kindly on him and getting a picture would just be stupid but he thought of Heung Soo. What would he say? He would say, “What are you doing? it up and go. You are the image of the company. If you don’t create a good image then where does that leave us?”

His smile was tight while he nodded his head in agreement. They stepped over to the tree where the cameraman instructed them on where and  how to stand. They were too close for Nam Soon’s liking, he could practically smell the man’s breath which didn’t smell to good to begin with. As the cameraman captured the image of the two, he felt something brush across his backside. If that was what he thought it was, there was most definitely going to be a problem.

He twitched and subtly moved his hands behind him. The man’s camera clicked several more times and once again he felt clammy fingers graze across his knuckles. He didn’t want to cause a scene with children there however, this was a huge problem. He swatted the man’s hand away which he must of taken for playing hard to get because this time he felt the man trying to palm his behind.

That was it, he faced the man ready to spit a host of venomous words that would most likely get him in trouble but that didn’t matter when he was being ually harassed.  His lips hadn’t even begun to form the syllables before Saki came rushing in. He was whispering to the man with a smile coloring his features and the man’s hand caught in his grip. It was discreet. Even the cameraman didn’t catch the slight tremor of the old man.

Saki let go of his hand and Nam Soon made a straight B-line to his car.

You know what, Heung Soo and his wishes, he was never doing that again no matter what.

***

Present time

 

“...am Soon… Nam Soo… NAM SOON!!”

A shrill voice- most likely Kang Joo’s- interrupted his thoughts.

“What?” He spat.

“You have a visitor.”

“Who?”

He looked toward the counter finding Heung Soo standing with his tailored suit and styled hair. No matter what, the man truly was good looking. He signed out of the outdated computer and met the taller man.

“What are you doing here?”

“Get your things, we’re leaving.”

“Excuse me?”

“Be in the car in five.” The insufferable man left without another word, which was somehow Kang Joo’s cue to reappear.

“He’s mad isn’t he?”

Nam Soon eyed the man and his steps, “He has no reason to be angry. And if he is, I sure as hell can’t tell.”