Chapter 2

Home
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You didn’t visit.” His eyebrows were angrily furrowed together and Krystal couldn’t do anything but stand frozen in her spot. He had definitely become more talkative. At least she hoped so. Otherwise he was just angry enough with her to actually say it. “I know. I’m sorry. I’ve been incredibly busy.” It was both the truth and a lie. She had been busy, but only because she decided she wanted to be. It also didn’t seem to satisfy Onew, who just turned his back to her.

“Don’t worry too much about him. He’ll come around.” Krystal just nodded at Victoria’s words, even though they didn’t really make her feel better. The worst thing was that she couldn’t even blame Onew. He was right.

“Can I get you something to drink? I have… coffee…” Krystal smiled and nodded. She looked around the room. It looked exactly the same as it did three years ago. It felt familiar. Her eye fell upon Onew again, who was now apparently working on some simple math equations. Some things did change.

“Here you go.” Victoria pushed a mug into her hands and Krystal sat down after thanking her.  

Victoria joined her, wrapping both her hands around her own mug, most likely in an effort to warm them. She brought the mug up to her lips, softly blowing the warm liquid. Her eyes roamed over Krystal and while Krystal usually hated being stared at, it wasn’t annoying when Victoria did it.

“So, how was America?” The silence had been so comfortable that Krystal hadn’t really noticed that neither of them had said anything until Victoria’s voice filled the small room again. “It was okay. I finished my Management studies. I didn’t really do anything else.” Victoria quirked an eyebrow and a small smile played along her lips. “I find it hard to believe a young pretty girl wouldn’t do anything but study in the US. Tell me the good stuff.” There was a twinkle of excitement in her eyes and Krystal almost felt guilty for not having any adventures to share. “I’m afraid there’s not much to tell. I mostly spend my time hanging out with my sister.”

“Oh, she was still in America then?” It felt weird talking about herself. Mostly because Krystal figured there wasn’t really a lot to talk about. Nonetheless, Victoria seemed legitimately interested. “Oh, yeah. She changed her major quite a few times. She’s still there.” Krystal took another sip of the coffee. Mostly out of politeness. To Krystal it tasted almost like bland water.

“You must miss her then.” Krystal frowned. She didn’t really. She wasn’t attached to any person for that matter. In order not to seem any weirder than she already did, no doubt, she just nodded. “So what about you?” she didn’t feel like answering any more questions about herself. “How have you been?” Victoria narrowed her eyes slightly, obviously aware of Krystal trying to change the subject. She didn’t insist, however, instead answering Krystal’s question. “I’ve been pretty much the same, as I’m sure you can see. Onew is going to school now.” Her eye fell upon the boy again and Krystal was glad to see that familiar loving smile graced her features once again. “As for me, I’m still taking jobs where-ever I can.”

“You still don’t have a full-time job?” It might have sounded judging to some people, but Victoria didn’t seem to take it that way. “I do. But I underestimated the amount of money Onew’s school would cost.” She had lowered her voice but Krystal doubted that it would keep Onew from hearing. “Anyway, so far so good, so no need to worry.” Of course she would shrug it off. Even though she hadn’t seen the family for three whole years, Krystal felt her heart clench. It would seem she was still more attached to the both of them than she was willing to admit. She didn’t know if it was comforting or frightening. “I found a new babysit.” Victoria continued, obviously trying to lighten the mood. “Oh.” Krystal just said casually, before bringing her coffee cup back to her lips. Of course she would hire another babysit. Krystal knew that. Still she felt a little sting at actually having to acknowledge the fact that she got replaced. “She’s really kind, if a little over-enthusiastic sometimes,” Victoria huffed in amusement, “Onew likes her.” It’s not as if she was jealous or anything.

She looked around, desperate to focus on another topic. Her eye fell upon a dinosaur toy lying a few feet away from her. “Nice dinosaur.” She said, eying for any reaction from Onew. She got none. Victoria sighed. “He doesn’t like it. It was a gift.”

It looked brand new to the point where Krystal wondered if he had ever even touched it. “A gift?” Victoria just hummed in agreement, opening and closing a few times. “It’s from my boss.”

“He wants to marry my mum.” It was the first time in a while Onew had bothered to say anything. Victoria’s cheeks started glowing and Krystal had to blink a few times. “What?”

“It’s not like that.” She said, but her voice was soft and Onew just snorted in response. “Onew doesn’t like him very much.”

“He’s twice your age.”

“He’s nice.”

“He thinks he can buy you.” Victoria just sighed, putting down her coffee. “That’s enough, Onew.” Even though she didn’t raise her voice, her tone was final. Onew seemed to understand and continued doing his schoolwork without saying another word.

Krystal was left dumbfounded from the exchange between the two. Neither of the women said anything. It was none of Krystal’s business anyway. “I should probably get going.” Krystal said after finally finishing the last of that truly horrible coffee. “Right. I’m sure you have a lot of stuff to do.” She didn’t.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Krystal stared at her own reflection while buttoning up a fresh white shirt that looked exactly like the other ones she had been wearing all week. She took her time tucking it into her waist-height skirt before straightening the collar and finally glancing at her watch. It was still only 7.30. She sighed. Why did time always go so slow in the morning. She always woke up way too early for the simple reason she just couldn’t sleep anymore.

She made her way to the fancy kitchen of the suite. The only appliances that were actually getting used in it being the coffee-maker and microwave. It was almost a shame, really. She pressed the large cappuccino button and literally stood in front of it, waiting for the coffee to be made. She sat down in one of the barstools, sipping her drink while watching the seconds tick by on her watch. The thick coffee immediately brought her thoughts back to the watery coffee from the night before. Even though it had to be the most horrible coffee she had ever drunk, it made her own coffee seem bland for some reason. It made no sense.

Her thoughts drifted to their conversation. Even though it was none of her business, she couldn’t help but feel weird at the thought of Victoria with some old sugar daddy. Even though it was none of her business, a part of her hoped Victoria could just… just… She didn’t even know how to finish that sentence. It didn’t matter. Victoria could do whatever she wanted. Krystal didn’t even know if it was what she wanted in the first place.

When her eye fell upon her watch again, she was surprised by how much had gone by suddenly and she slid of her chair. She didn’t bother to clean her mug up, since housekeeping would do it for her anyway. She looked around the room helplessly for a while, “Where is my bag?” She had never, ever misplaced it before. She spent a few more seconds searching, before the reality hit her. “.” She forgot it at Victoria’s place.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Krystal felt awkward. It was one thing to be invited, another to show up unannounced. She spent a solid five minutes just standing in front of the apartment’s door, preparing herself. It was a Saturday. “Normal” people didn’t work on Saturday, but Krystal did. She needed that suitcase. She finally mustered up the courage the raise her hand and swiftly knocked the door three times. Much as expected the door flung open in a few seconds. What she wasn’t expecting was the tall brunette opening it. “Oh… Hi.”

“Hello!”

The girl looked young an

Please log in to read the full chapter