Beautiful

Beautiful

 

 
I couldn't bear to look at Doojoon's face. "Look, I'm sure he didn't mean it. It's just that that bracelet is important to him."
I couldn't say anything. "Why?" I asked quietly. 
"Why don't we sit for a while?" 
We found a bench on a playground. 
"That bracelet was given to him by a friend he had 2 years ago, Lee Jinyeon." Doojoon started. 
"W-was she his girlfriend?"
"Well, no, but she might as well have been. She did everything for Junhyung and for us. She was Junhyung's friend a long time ago and she went to him asking for help, for a job. She took the job as our assistant, just like you. She was good in taking care of us. She would cook Junhyung's favorite food. Since she knew Junhyung already, she could tame his attitude. Though he wasn't very temperamental when it comes to her. She always made him laugh. He liked her a lot." Doojoon chuckled. 
"So where is she?"
"Well, 2 years ago, while we were preparing for our comeback, we had a lot of things in hand. We were filming day and night. There were a lot of things to do. Jinyeon's body didn't take the pressure well, she broke down and was taken to the hospital for a week. Junhyung couldn't do anything to visit her because we needed to go on with the filming and the comeback. He felt really bad after that. She quit the job to her father's advice and we never saw her again. Junhyung has never been the same. He's always nagging others especially people like you on your work. He's just quiets at times. He stopped laughing. I guess he liked her that much. " She remembered his visit to the hospital the day she fainted. That's why his visit was different. Maybe the visit reminded him of Jinyeon. Guess that's why he smiled since that day. 
"I better get back. I hoped I helped. Now stop crying, you have work tomorrow." Doojoon got up. 
"Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow." 
 
I got up early the next day. I went to the studio and begun looking for the bracelet. 
"Where could it be?"
"What are you doing?" Startled, I looked up and there he was looking angrily at me.
"Looking for your bracelet."
"Why?"
"Because I was the one who lost it." 
Junhyung held me by the wrist. "Stop it. You won't find it." 
"I would and I would bring it back to you. Now, go away!"
Junhyung tugged on my wrist and dragged me out of the room. 
"I said stop it!"
"Why? You were so angry when I lost it."
"Because I found it already." He held the silver bracelet in front of me. 
I felt tears in my eyes. Why was he like this? Why is everything so hard with him? 
"Then why didn't you just say so? Good, you have found it" I wiped away my tears. "Let me go."
I started to walk as fast as I could. I was in love with a guy who wouldn't love me back. To him, I will always just be the second choice.
When I was far away from the studio as my feet could carry me, I sat down and cried. How could I have attached myself easily? How could one person affect me this way? Because his smile was infectious and when he laughs, his face lights up like a little boy receiving his present on Christmas day. I laughed despite my sullen mood. He does have a nice smile. 
"Why did you run away from me?" I looked around to find the voice, then I saw Junhyung standing behind me. I wiped my tears to look at him. 
"B-because...you...I...I don't really know."
"Could I sit beside you?"
"Yeah, I guess so."
"I...uhm...I-I'm sorry." Junhyung went on. "For lashing out on you the other day. It was just..."
"An important bracelet." I finished. "I know."
"Oh." Junhyung looked down, seemingly at a loss for words. 
"You don't need to explain though. I'm just your assistant anyway."
"But I want to."
"If you think that there's a need to just because I cried. Well forget about it. I was just shocked that..." Then Junhyung leaned in and kissed me, cutting off my words. It was a shy, sweet, short kind of kiss.  I was so shocked that I was at a loss for words. I looked at him and found that he looked like he was as shocked as I was. 
Then he smiled. "I-I'm sorry. It's just...I thought it was the only way to shut you up." His words would have hurt me if he didn't looked as bashful as he was. 
"I want to explain because I want you to care. I want you to know that I didn't meant those words to hurt you. I guess I have a really bad attitude at times. I should change that." The last sentence sounded as if he was talking to himself. "My temper gets the better of me sometimes."
"Uhm, well..." I started. I was still shocked by the kiss.
"How about the dinner I asked you the other day? To apologize for what I have done. Please?"
"O-ok." Junhyung took my hand in his and we started walking. 
"It's a place near here. It's new and they say its delicious."
I looked at him and I felt carefree and happy. We enjoyed the meal and talked a lot about our lives. Junhyung really knows how to take care of a girl. He made sure I liked the food we ate. He kept on asking about my family and friends. And that day I discovered who Junhyung really was and it made me fall in love with him more.
Junhyung took me home after the dinner. 
"Thanks. I had a wonderful time." I said.
"Yeah, me too. I'll see you tomorrow." Then he leaned in for another kiss. "Good night!" He said and went walked away with a big smile on his face.
 
Ever since the dinner, after the end of their schedules, Junhyung would always take me to dinner then take me home. I was in heaven and an angel was with me! I felt happier than ever.
There I stood at the rooftop of my apartment again holding hands with Junhung. I looked him in the face and felt all the love bursting from me. 
"Sooyeon!" Junhyung shouted.
"I love you!" I looked at him lovingly and regretfully.
"I love you too but this won't work." I jumped from the rooftop and I heard him shout my name over and over and over. Then I heard a faint ring. It was getting louder and louder. 
"Hey Sooyeon. Open the door!" I woke up. That dream again. I tried to calm my breath. The doorbell was ringing. I went to the door and saw Mi young waiting for me. 
"What took you so long? It's freezing here. You ok? You look like you've seen a ghost."
"Uh yeah I'm fine. What brings you here?"
"Here. My uncle was going to give you this but I said I wanted to see you and volunteered to just bring this to you personally."
"Thanks."
"Haish, still work on a weekend? Anyway, I haven't seen you in a long time. How are you?"
"Fine." 
"Well yeah, dating an idol, I would have been fine myself!" I smiled at her. We sat down on the sofa in the living room. "Mind if I turn on the tv?"
"Sure. I'll just get some juice." I went to the kitchen. 
"Uh Sooyeon, I think you should see this."
"What is it? Wait, you want ice with this? Or just..." I was walking towards the living room and there on the tv screen was Junhyung's picture...in the arms of a girl, unfortunately, not her.