Beautiful

Beautiful

 

 
"I really need work!!!" Living alone is hard. Especially when you don't have work and is in dept with the owner of the house. 
"Bills are really piling up. What do I do?" I called Mi young, "Hey you know where I can find work?" 
"You should really just go back to your mom and dad." Mi young has been hearing my problematic babbling over the years we've been friends. 
"No! I won't go back. I told them I could do it, so I would!" 
"Right...like you're doing now. Well anyway, my uncle is looking for an assistant."
"Great! I could do that!"
"When I say assistant, I mean the one who cleans bathrooms along with cooking and doing other chores. It's like an all around maid and secretary. But the pay is good. Still interested?"
"Well, let's take a shot at it!" I said with much enthusiasm.
"Sooyeon! You can't cook! You don't like household chores and you don't like anybody telling you what to do, isn't that why you left home?"
"Oh. Well I'm in dire need right now. Nobody would hire me and my bills are mountain high so I'll take what I can get. What does your uncle do?"
"He's some big shot in an entertainment industry. But I don't really know what he does, so why don't I just give you his number."
"Great."
 
 "My niece said you're a good person and you said you could do the things I want you to do. That's all I need to know. You can come by the office tomorrow and you can start right away." Mi young's uncle said over the phone. I really hope I'd pull this off, I didn't want to go back and have my mom tell me "I told you so." I can do this. Fighting!
 
"You're technically my assistant but you'll be dealing with a lot more people, actually you'll be dealing with 6 children who stopped growing at the age of 12. Think you could do that?"
"Yes, sir!" I said cheerfully. Six! There were 6 other people who I have to deal with, this might be a problem. 
"Oh, here they are. Ms Sooyeon, meet Beast." Mi young's uncle, who says I should call him "manager", opened the door and revealed six grown up boys playing like they're six year olds. "Don't worry Sooyeon, they're not usually like that."
"Manager hyung! You're here! I'm hungry. Let's eat already." one of them said. He looks cute with his little nose. 
"His name's Yoseob." Manager said. 
"Hey! Who's she? Your girlfriend! Yihee!" He tossed the pillow across. It was meant to hit manager but missed by a few inches. "That one's Doojoon. He likes to joke around, though sometimes only he knows the joke." I laughed. "That one is Hyunseung, he's usually quiet." He pointed to a guy with somehow curly hair. "That one who doesn't look korean is Dongwoon." "Hi!" The guy named Dongwoon said. "That small guy is Kikwang and the guy over there is Junhyung." I realized, Doojoon, Dongwoon, Yoseob and Kikwang were the only ones playing. Hyunseung was by himself listening on his mp3 and Junhyung was watching tv. "Ok kids. We're going now so pack up so we could go." The manager dragged me out of the room and asked, "So what do you think?"
"They look very friendly." I said with conviction, though I wasn't quite convinced myself. My first day of work began.   
 
"Hey! How old are you?" Doojoon asked as we were walking at the parking lot. 
"I'm 21." 
"Really? Me too! And Junhyung and Hyungseung. We should be treating each other as friends."
"Uhm, yeah I guess so." I said while someone bumped into me and snorted. I looked at Junhyung's back wondering what's wrong.  
"Junhyung's like that to everybody, don't worry. He doesn't like new people much."
 
Night and day, I was with Beast. Doing their chores, picking up clothes and everything else. Being their assistant means I have to be there 24 hours a day with water, food, clothes, make-up and anything else they would need. That was how my weeks went by. 
 
"Argh, my neck aches." I sat down by the empty room on the set of the tv program that Beast was guesting at. 
"You should quit, you know." I looked up to see Junhyung enter the room. I heard they say he's cool, I guess they should say cold more. 
"Why should I quit?" 
"Because you can't do anything right, you burned the clothes while ironing the other day. You can't cook, you can't make a freaking coffee and you complain at the slightest pain. This job requires more  than you running around. So you should quit now while you're ahead." He walked away, I stared at his back. What was his problem? Sure, I can't make coffee then but I can now. This person wasn't just cold! He's also annoying! So what if I can't do all those things! I could learn! Is he so perfect that he thinks nobody can complain once in a while! I'll show him! 
"You should just forget about what he said." I screamed then looked at Doojoon coming out of the other room. He says things like that to make you feel bad. He just wants you to toughen up. He says that to all the assistants that come and go, he's a perfectionist so you can't blame him for wanting things clean and well not burning up his clothes." Doojoon pat me on the head. 
"Thanks, you're nice." 
"Ah well, I get that a lot." I laughed. 
 
For the nexy few days I made sure that everything was done right. I was always on time on the set, I can now cook, quick meals.  I can run the coffee maker and I didn't burn any clothes. I felt better doing these things right. 
"Hmp! See I can do it! You, Junhyung, you!!! Grrrr" I went away, not aware that someone heard me. 
"Yeah, you did it huh?" Junhyung wisphered and chuckled.