We All Grow Up?

Never Growing Up

Time flies by when you’re having fun.

 

 

 

 

 

Six years had flown by faster than the blink of an eye. Everything about my life had changed since Youngjae and I met.

I visited Youngjae every single day and he would always greet me with the same happiness and affection that he always did. Himchan and I agreed that a therapist should come speak with Jae and it seemed to be working.

Slowly over the years, Youngjae began to open up more and more to all of us. He was slowly starting to mature into the young adult that he was and I was with him with every step that he took.

Two weeks ago, I received a call from Himchan saying that Youngjae’s parents had passed away in a plane crash. Youngjae was devastated and we feared that all the progress he made over the years would be lost but surprisingly something else happened.

 

 

 

I adjusted the black tie on my suit and parted my black hair before I nodded to myself in the mirror. Funerals had never been my thing but I had to go out of respect for Youngjae and his loving parents.

I headed into the familiar living room area in Youngjae’s apartment that hadn’t changed at all over the years.

Youngjae was dressed in a black suit as he intertwined his fingers on his lap on the couch. He glanced up at me and gave me a sad smile as I sat down next to him.

“Are you sure you want to do this? You don’t have to. We can stay here if you’d like.” I spoke softly as I placed my hand on top of his.

“No. I need to do this. I wasn’t there for my brother but I need to be there for my parents.” Youngjae replied as he looked down at our hands.

“Okay but we’ll take it very slow. This is the first time you’ve gone out in years and I know the outside world can be a bit overwhelming.” I informed him as I gave him a gentle peck on the cheek.

“You’ll stay by my side the whole time?” Youngjae asked me in a small voice as he looked at me with wide eyes.

“The whole time.” I whispered to him as I stood up.

Youngjae stood up right after I did and I watched him bite his nails due to his nervous habit.

I didn’t say a word as I grabbed his free hand and slowly led him towards the door. I watched him as he stood behind the door with his eyes closed and taking deep breaths before he opened his eyes again and nodded to me.

We took our first steps out into the hallway and I watched Youngjae’s face for any signs that he might want to head back into his home.

“Wow! There’s so much gold here and the floors are really shiny.” Youngjae commented as we made our way towards the elevator hand in hand.

“Do you like it?” I asked him as I pushed the first floor button on the elevator.

“Yes. It’s all so pretty and shiny. So this is what you get to see every day?” Youngjae questioned me in an excited tone.

“Yeah. The world is a pretty big place though and I’m sure you’ll love lots of places.” I nodded as I smiled at him.

“Well I’m going to like what my Daehyunnie likes.” He sang happily as he swung our arms around.

“I think that’s great Jae but you should like stuff for yourself too. I’m sure you won’t like everything I like just like I won’t like everything you like.” I informed him as the elevator stopped and we stepped out of it.

A few people were standing around in the lobby as they looked at us before going back to what they were doing.

“Hi there! My name is Yoo Youngjae. It’s nice to meet all of you!” Youngjae stated happily as he waved to every person in the lobby.

A few people waved back and others just smiled politely at him. I gently squeezed his hand as we walked out of the building.

 

Cars zipped past us on the street as Youngjae let out a small squeak before he clung to my waist like it was his life support.

“Jae, it’s alright. Nothing is going to hurt you. I’ll make sure of that.” I whispered in his ear as he loosened his grip on my waist.

I led us to the parking lot where I had parked my car. Youngjae kept his head down as we slid into my car and quickly drove off.

Silence enveloped us both for the entire car ride to the funeral home.

 

 

 

As soon as we walked into the funeral home people I had never seen before began to whisper among themselves. They were probably gossiping to one another and I found myself glaring at each one of them as we made our way towards our group of friends.

Zelo spotted us as he walked straight up to Youngjae and gave him a brief consoling hug. The kid who was no longer a kid seemed to have gotten even taller since I last saw him.

Himchan and Yongguk were talking to each other before Himchan saw us and gave us a smile before he dragged the elder over to come greet us.

“I’m glad you two were able to make it. Sorry I haven’t been around that much. Yongguk and I are still in the process of moving. I swear we have more stuff at our apartment than I remember.” Himchan sighed as he shook his head.

“That’s because you’re a hoarder who buys everything he lays his eyes on. Over half of the stuff we won’t even use.” Yongguk huffed as he shrugged his shoulders.

“Where’s Jongup?” I asked trying to politely change the subject.

“He’s helping his parents move. He wanted to be here but the movers cancelled last minute so he had to stay and help.” Himchan replied as he patted Youngjae on the shoulder.

“I see. I’m going to go pay my respects now. Excuse me.” I mumbled as I walked towards the room where Youngjae’s parents were being put on display.

I stood next to the two urns that held the remains of Youngjae’s parents. The urns were both solid gold and shone in the artificial light.

Youngjae said nothing as he placed his hand on one of the urns and bowed his head. I decided to walk off to give him some privacy and I could overhear voices speaking about Youngjae.

“Youngjae is a complete freak. He’s twenty-four but he acts like he’s twelve. Honestly, the company will go under if he does decide to take it over. I feel sorry for that guy Daehyun whose been having to take care of that freak. Daehyun is way too handsome to be wasting his time with a freak like that.”

“Get out of here right now Yuna before I tell your husband that you’ve been a bit too friendly with your boss. Hana, I expected you to behave better than that. Show some respect. This is a funeral. Not a high school. Honestly, both of you should grow up.” Himchan chimed in as he watched the two females scamper off quickly without saying another word.

“Is that how people really think of Jae?” I asked in disgust as I glanced over at Youngjae who was still with his parents.

“Not everyone. People are just jealous of him because he comes from a good family that actually loved him and didn’t judge him. Not all of us are as lucky as him.” Himchan sighed in disappointment.

“Is it true about his parent’s company then?”

“Yes. The company belongs to him now so he can do what he wants with it. The choice is his though.”

“Well no matter what his decision is I’ll support it.” I stated as I nodded my head.

“Me too. He certainly has grown up over the years. He’s growing up so fast that I feel like he might leave me behind one day. I feel like he won’t want me as a brother figure. He does have you now after all.” Himchan sniffled.

“Don’t say that. He’s always going to want all of you around. You stuck by him through his hardest moments when I couldn’t be there. You never gave up on him not even once. I know he has trouble expressing his feelings but I think he would say that he loves you. No. I know that’s what he would say. So thank you for being there for him, Himchan.” I replied with a smile.

Himchan started to cry loudly as he pulled me in for a hug and began sobbing loudly on my shoulder. I just awkwardly pat his back as Youngjae made his way towards us.

“Take as much time as you need, Jae.” I whispered to him as I let go of Himchan.

“That’s okay. I’ve made my peace now.” Youngjae nodded to me with a small smile on his face.

“You guys should go somewhere. Yongguk and I can take care of things here.” Himchan informed us as he wiped his remaining tears on his sleeve.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course. Take Youngjae somewhere you know he will like.” Himchan replied as he started pushing us out of the room.

 

 

 

Youngjae and I sat down on a bench in the park just staring down at the pond not too far from us.

“What do I do now, Dae?” Youngjae asked me in a whisper as he looked at me with saddened eyes.

“You can do whatever you want to now.” I commented with a small smile.

“I’m all alone now. My family is gone.” Youngjae stated as he bowed his head.

“That’s not true. You still have a family, Jae. You have me, Himchan, Yongguk, Zelo, and Jongup. We may not be related by blood but we’re still your family.”

“Dae, why do people have to die? Is it selfish to wish for people to live forever?”

“It’s not selfish, Jae. It just makes us human. I think people die because they’ve fulfilled whatever their task was here on this Earth. Your parents must have fulfilled their task and so it was time for them to leave. I know it’s cliché but your parents are in a better place. They were good people and I think that good people always end up somewhere nice.”

“Do you think I’ll end up somewhere nice?”

“Of course you will. You have a very kind heart and you’re a selfless person.” I smiled as I gently squeezed his hand.

“Dae, I thought really hard about this and I’ve made up my mind. I want you to take over my parent’s company. You would do a better job than I would.” Youngjae nodded.

“Jae, I can’t do that. The company should be yours. Your parents left it to you not me.”

“I know they did. How about we run it together then? You’re a business major and you would be perfect for the job. Please say yes, Dae. I can’t do this without you.” Youngjae pouted.

“Fine but under one condition.” I stated.

“Sure. Anything.”

“You have to try to come outside on your own at least once a week. I know you can handle it now.” I stated as Youngjae looked at me with slight fear in his eyes.

“I’m scared though. What if something bad happens?” Youngjae whispered.

“I won’t let that happen. Just call me and I’ll come running to you.” I smiled.

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

“Hey, Dae.”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.” Youngjae stated as a blush formed on his cheeks.

“I love you too, Jae.” I replied.

I gently Youngjae’s cheek as I pulled him in for the softest of kisses. I felt his arms wrap around my neck as we parted lips and he leaned into my exposed neck.

“I have to grow up now, don’t I?” Youngjae breathed into my neck.

“No. I happen to like you just the way you are and if other people don’t like it then they’re the ones that need to grow up, not you.” I whispered as I gently his back before he slowly pulled away.

“You really like me?” youngjae asked happily as he continued to blush.

“I really do and if you don’t want to grow up then I won’t grow up either.” I chuckled.

“Yeah but we have to grow up sometime. We can’t stay kids forever.” Youngjae frowned.

“True but there’s no set time that we have to grow up by. I’d rather be childish and happy than grown up and miserable.” I informed him.

“Okay. Let’s stay kids forever then.” Youngjae giggled.

“Let’s do it, kid.” I laughed as Youngjae smiled at me and pulled me off the bench.

“Let’s go do something that kids do!” Youngjae shouted happily as he skipped around like the kid he was.

I couldn’t help but laugh at his childish self as he held my hand and swung it happily with his.

 

 

 

 

 

My eyes were tired from all the years that weighed them down as I stood in front of the gravestone that lay before me.

Youngjae had given me forty-five years of a happy marriage. We had adopted several children and raised them as if they were our own flesh and blood. We taught them that being themselves was more important than trying to fit into societies image of maturity. We taught them that it was okay to be childish and to never judge someone based on how they look or act.

Even before Youngjae passed away five years ago, he remained childish till the end and he left this world with a smile on his face. I’m proud to have called him my husband and I’m thankful for all those years that we shared together.

I’ll be leaving this world soon to join Youngjae and I’ll be leaving it without any regrets. I lived a full and happy life.

“Thank you for never growing up on me, Youngjae. I love you and I’ll see you soon.” I whispered to the gravestone.

I smiled as I placed a mug of hot chocolate at the base of the gravestone.

My eyes glanced up toward the beautiful summer sky and I found myself smiling at it with love in my heart.

See you soon, kid.


A/N: Sequel!!! I purposely left out the other guys at the ver end so you could imagine what happened to them all. I also left out how Youngjae passed away for the same reason. I hope you all enjoy this sequel as well. Thank you all for the support, comments, subs, and up votes. Thank you all. ^_^