Never Growing Up

Never Growing Up

Peter Pan sure had it made.

Nobody really wants to grow up.

I don’t want to grow up.

 

 

 

 

 

I walked down a quiet street in Seoul with my hands shoved deep in my pockets. The cold night air cut me like a knife as it struck my cheeks leaving me shivering in my coat.

As I walked past an apartment complex my eyes landed on a fresh face. I saw a young male about my age smiling and laughing near his window. His hair was a midnight color and his skin was fair.

The male looked as if he were glowing as he continued to laugh at something that was funny. He placed his hands on his cheeks as he tried to calm himself down from the laughter.

I watched him inch closer to the window until he slowly slid it open and breathed in the night air.

The male glanced down from his window and locked eyes with me before he gave me a warm smile.

“What’s your name?” The male asked me in a soft voice.

“Jung Daehyun. What’s yours?” I asked him back.

“Yoo Youngjae. Would you like to come up here? It’s really cold outside tonight and I’d feel bad if I let you stay out in the cold for much longer.” Youngjae commented as he motioned for me to come up.

“I guess I can. What’s the apartment number?” I questioned him as I looked around the deserted street.

“I’m in number thirty. See you in a minute then, Daehyun.” Youngjae replied softly as he slowly shut his window.

I stepped into the building and headed over towards the elevators as I rubbed my hands together to warm them up. The whole building looked rather expensive as I punched the floor number on the elevator and felt it slowly start to rise.

When I stepped out of the elevator and searched for Youngjae’s apartment, I could hear soft laughter just outside his place as I gently knocked on the door.

The door slowly opened to reveal Youngjae standing in front of me wearing his pajama’s with a mug of hot chocolate in his hand. He smiled at me and grabbed my arm pulling me inside his apartment.

His apartment was way more expensive looking than mine and more modern looking too.

I noticed he had company over as four males were also dressed in pajama’s with their mugs of hot chocolate.

All pairs of eyes were focused on me as I pretended to admire the apartment.

“Please take your coat off. Would you like some hot chocolate? We were just about to watch a movie.” Youngjae stated as he started making his way towards the kitchen.

“I would love some.” I replied as I shrugged out of my coat and placed it on the coat rack next to me.

“We’re about to watch Peter Pan. We always watch it here at Youngjae’s house around this time each year.” The tall male with curly blonde hair stated as he stretched out his endless legs that had bunny slippers wrapped around his feet.

“That’s Zelo. He’s the youngest one here. I’m Himchan. I hope we can be friends.” Himchan chimed in as he tugged at his pink pajama’s with matching slippers.

“I’m Yongguk and the guy next to me is Jongup. He doesn’t really talk much. I’m the oldest one here and the most mature.” Yongguk stated as Jongup just nodded and smiled at me.

“He likes to think he’s the most mature one here but we all know he can be childish just like the rest of us.” Youngjae teased as he came back carrying two mugs in his hands.

I slowly grabbed my mug as I felt my hand brush against Youngjae’s lightly before I muttered a soft apology about my cold hands.

“Can we watch the movie now?” Zelo asked as he took a small sip from his mug.

“Sure. Don’t forget to brush your teeth after it’s over though, Zelo.” Youngjae replied quietly.

“I know.” Zelo grumbled.

“You can sit next to me on the couch since I’ve known you for a few minutes longer than these guys here.” Youngjae chuckled as he grabbed my arm and led us both to the couch.

I just laughed internally at this group of people I had just met. I hoped I could become friends with them. They seemed like a nice group of people.

Youngjae scooted a little closer to me as the lights began to dim and the TV slowly started to play moving pictures. I smiled as I watched the different trailers flash across the screen.

It had been quite some time since I last watched this movie.

 

 

 

The lights came back on as the movie ended and I squinted my eyes as they tried to adjust to the bright light. Youngjae let out a small yawn as he looked at me and smiled.

“Would you like to stay the night here? It’s pretty late.” Youngjae whispered to me as the other males stood up and stretched.

“Maybe some other time. I have to get home. My roommate will freak out if I’m not at home.” I whispered back.

Youngjae pouted a little before he nodded in understanding and stood up.

“Well I hope you come back to visit me again soon. I enjoyed your company.” Youngjae said happily as the others waved at me.

“Thanks for having me. Is there any way I can get your number?” I asked quietly.

“I don’t have a phone. Just stop by when you can. I’m always here.” Youngjae nodded as he walked me to the door.

“Okay. Thanks again. It was really nice meeting you, Youngjae.” I replied as I stepped out into the hallway.

“It was nice meeting you too, Daehyun. I really hope you stop by to see me again.” Youngjae commented as he smiled before slowly closing the door behind him.

I smiled to myself as I walked back towards the elevators.

Yoo Youngjae was different. A good kind of different.

 

 

 

My roommate sat on our couch as I flipped on the light switch. He was dressed in his plaid pajama’s and had a serious look on his face.

“Where were you, Daehyun? It’s dangerous being outside in the city alone.” He stated as he stared right into the very core of my soul.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun. I met some people tonight.” I mumbled.

“Really? Do they go to university as well?” Baekhyun questioned as he arched his brow.

“I’m not sure. I think they do. Well I think Youngjae might.” I responded.

“Youngjae as in Yoo Youngjae?” Baekhyun questioned in a shocked tone.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Youngjae is a hermit. Rumors say that he’s never stepped foot outside his apartment. He’s always locked up there and nobody knows why. The guy was homeschooled for most of his life and his parents are extremely wealthy business owners that are gone for six months each year. The guy is a complete weirdo and you shouldn’t hang out with guys like him. He’ll only make your life miserable like his is.”

“Don’t say that. You don’t even know him. I met him tonight and he was a really great guy to be with.” I hissed as I balled up my fists at my friends awful words.

“Fine but be careful. You know nothing about him.” Baekhyun warned with a sigh before he walked off and headed back to his room.

 

 

 

Two months had passed by and I found myself spending more and more time with Youngjae with each passing day.

“So what game do you want to play today? We could play Pirates again or we could pretend that the floor is lava and try not to step on it.” Youngjae said excitedly as his eyes lit up at the thought.

“Maybe we could just sit on the couch and talk. We’ve played games every day this week.” I sighed as I plopped down on the couch.

“But talking is so boring. I want to do something fun.” Youngjae replied as he started jumping up and down like a spoiled child.

“Why don’t we go outside and get some ice cream? Or we could go skiing.” I suggested as I watched Youngjae’s face turn into a saddened expression.

“I can’t go outside.” Youngjae whispered as he stared at the floor.

“Why not?” I whispered back in curiosity.

“I just can’t!” Youngjae shouted at me.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered as I tried to reach for his hand.

“No you’re not! If you were sorry you wouldn’t have suggested it in the first place. You can’t tell me to go outside. Not after what happened. You’re not my friend. A friend would never hurt my feelings.” Youngjae sobbed as he wiped his tears away with his sleeve.

“I am your friend, Jae.” I replied as I slowly stood up and tried to wrap my arms around him.

“No you’re not. You’re not my friend. Get out!” Youngjae shouted as he wiggled himself out of my arms.

I didn’t say another word as I grabbed my belongings and left a crying Youngjae behind me.

I didn’t even know what I did wrong.

 

 

 

Two weeks had went by and I was startled awake as I heard someone banging on my door in the early afternoon. I sighed as I opened my door revealing an angry looking Himchan.

“You look terrible.” Himchan commented as he pushed himself past me and into my apartment.

“Nice to see you too.” I mumbled.

“Let me get straight to the point. Did you do something to upset Youngjae? He hasn’t been happy for the past few weeks and I don’t like seeing him that way.” Himchan informed me as he plopped down on my couch making himself comfortable.

“I honestly don’t know what I did wrong though. We were hanging out like usual and when I suggested that we go outside he started freaking out and said I wasn’t his friend.” I sighed.

“So that’s why.” Himchan mumbled to himself before turning to look at me.

“What’s wrong?”

“Listen, there’s something you should know about Youngjae. He should be the one to tell you this but this is a desperate time so it looks like I have to tell you.” Himchan frowned.

“Tell me what?” I questioned as I sat down beside him.

“About five years ago, Youngjae’s older brother was killed in a tragic car accident around this time. He was extremely close with his brother and he took his death the hardest. He used to always watch Peter Pan with his brother around Christmas time and they would play games with each other when he would come home from work. When his brother passed away, Youngjae had a hard time with leaving the house. He thought that the outside world would be cruel to him just like it was to his brother. Youngjae never really grew up like normal kids his age did. He had the mentality of a child and when therapists would come to talk to him they all said it was psychological and that he may or may not grow out of it. Yongguk and I were friends with his brother so we took care of Youngjae when we could and made sure to protect him at all times. Zelo and Jongup were his neighbors and they help out when they can. Youngjae has made some improvement over the years but it’s going to take a lot more time before he is able to handle the outside world. He needs to be cared for all the time. I realize this might be a lot to take in right now. Youngjae thinks of you as a friend already but he requires special care. I won’t have you toying around with his emotions. If you want to continue being his friend then you have to know that it’s not going to be easy. If you want to be there for him then you really have to be there for him. You don’t have to give me an answer right now. You need time to think about this. I’ll give you a week to decide what you want to do.” Himchan stated as he stood up and left my apartment not giving me time to answer him.

Youngjae required a lot of responsibility but was I ready to take on this responsibility?

 

 

 

 

 

I found myself standing outside Youngjae’s place as I quietly knocked on the door.

Himchan opened the door and greeted me with a smile.

“So this is your answer then?” Himchan asked as he walked with me into the living room.

“It is. I can’t explain it but it just feels right.” I replied.

“I felt that same way too when I took on this responsibility.” Himchan nodded in understanding.

Youngjae looked up at me before he ran towards me and hugged me tightly.

“I’m sorry, Dae. I’m sorry for what I said to you.” Youngjae whispered as he nuzzled my neck.

“It’s okay, Jae. I’m sorry too.” I whispered back.

“Well I’m going to leave you two alone now. I have to go to work. See you later.” Himchan stated as he quickly walked out of the apartment leaving us alone.

“So what do you want to do today, Jae?” I asked as I gently rubbed his back.

“No games.” Youngjae whispered.

“No? Then what are we going to do?” I questioned him in a curious tone.

Youngjae broke free from my hold as he began to blush slightly before he spoke, “I want a kiss.”

“A kiss?” I asked as I could feel my face becoming hot.

“Yes. I’ve never had one before and I want one.” Youngjae nodded.

“I think you should do that with someone that you really like then.” I mumbled as I awkwardly cleared my throat.

“But I really like you.” Youngjae blushed as he looked down at his feet.

“Do you really mean that, Jae?” I whispered as I gently cupped his face and forced him to look at me.

“Yes. I really like you.” Youngjae smiled softly at me.

I smiled back at him before I closed my eyes and pressed our lips together in a gentle manner. He was far inexperienced as I felt him tense up before he relaxed at my touch.

Youngjae was the first one to pull away as he began tracing his lips with his fingers.

“Your lips are warm. Can we try kissing again?” Youngjae giggled as he looked at me with his doe like eyes that sparkled.

“Jae, we can kiss as many times as you want to.” I replied with a smile.

“But what if I want to kiss you forever?” Youngjae questioned with a giggle.

“Then I’ll kiss you forever and ever till the end of time.”


A/N: My apologies if I made anyone cry while reading this. I might make a sequel to this if anyone wants me to. Thank you all for the support. ^_^