The adventures of the black notebook

The adventures of the black notebook

Recently, there were 3 things constantly in Yixing’s mind: 1) what was going on in the dish-washing machines, 2) what do cats see when they stare at a distance, 3) whose notebook he was currently reading. The last question was of the most importance.


It all started on a one fine Friday afternoon (if you consider 5pm afternoon), when he was still in the campus even though his classes ended a few hours ago. He had to stay behind, since he had to hand his essay to Mr. Cha, so it was quite empty when he was heading to his classroom to find his favourite bunny pen (sue him, bunnies are cute as hell and he would fight anyone who says otherwise). As suspected, his pen was lying near his desk; gladly no one thought of stealing his pen (his group mates were nice, but bunnies are very hard to resist okay). He was already heading home when his eyes caught something. There was a notebook under the open window. For a moment Yixing thought of leaving it there or maybe throwing it into the trash, since if the owner cared about it, they would have taken better care of it, but when he came closer he realized that maybe he misunderstood the situation. The notebook was black, leather-covered and the handwriting in it was very neat and it seemed like the owner, whoever it was, cared a lot about the notebook, even if it was lying on the ground unattended. So Yixing took it and decided to give it to its’ rightful owner on Monday.


Later, when he was already at his dorm well fed and rested, he remembered the notebook in his bag and wondereed if he ever saw it in one of his group mates' hands. He took it into his hands and begun to simply stare at the notebook, hoping the answer would come out of it if he stared hard enough. He was so immersed in burning a hole into the notebook with his eyes, that he didn’t see Junmyeon enter their shared room.


"What has got you so gloomy, Xing?" Junmyeon was used to see his friend in deep thought especially when he was composing, but he seemed more worried than concentrated, so it had to be something else. When he didn’t get acknowledged by his best friend, he just went up to Yixing hoping to see what was so special about the item in his hands.  When he didn’t get what he wanted, he tried again.


"Xing, what’s that? Why are you staring at it so hard? " Yixing finally took his eyes off the notebook and replied.


"I found this at my music composing classroom, when I went back to get Tongtong. I don’t even know whose this is, but it seems important to them. I’ll return it on Monday; I just need to figure out whose notebook is this."


Junmyeon seemed to think for a moment.


"Why don’t you just open to check it? I mean who doesn’t write their name in their notebooks, wouldn’t it be easier than just staring at it until it speaks?"


"But wouldn’t it be, I don’t know, rude? What if it’s a dairy or maybe it has something I’m not supposed to see. Maybe that person wouldn’t like having their thoughts read by someone else, I for sure wouldn’t."


Junmyeon had to admit Yixing did have a point there, but doing nothing wouldn’t help the situation either, plus knowing his friend, Yixing would be obsessed with this notebook until he found the owner. Yixing was nothing if not persistent.


"Why don’t you just read the first page? Just try to find a name and don’t read if it’s something personal. It’d definitely have some clues to find its’ owner. I don’t think the owner would appreciate it if you just kept this notebook to yourself until you magically figured their name out."


Yixing sighed deeply, which was a sign for Junmyeon that he admitted his defeat. Yixing opened the notebook not knowing what to expect. However, he should have seen this coming considering where he found the notebook. It was a lyrics’ notebook. He checked the back of the cover and the first page but there was nothing. Junmyeon was wrong which was anew, but maybe if he read the lyrics he could guess whose it was, since he often heard songs written by his group mates. He begged for forgiveness from the writer in his mind and begun reading the lyrics. Well, now he had more questions than answers.


Deep in the night when even the stars fall asleep
The lonely moon rises
It softly comes down to the windowsill and shines on you
And lets you dream while you sleep.


The lyrics were gorgeous. He forgot all about privacy of the owner of the notebook and read the lyrics till the end. He was mesmerized. He heard a lot of beautiful songs, since his group was full of talented kids, but he never read a song this soulful. It was breathtaking. He read the other two songs in the notebook, closed the notebook and stared absentmindedly out of the window. Now he wanted to find the owner of the notebook more than before just to simply tell them how talented they were and how he’d do anything to have the right to compose music for it or hear it if the author had composed it as well. He was thinking this through, while Junmyeon was humming "Russian roulette" under his breath and doing his homework, long having forgotten about Yixing’s mysterious finding. Finally, Yixing came to the conclusion that he either didn’t know that person and/or their writing style, so he had to think of a different method. After reading the lyrics one more time he went to sleep thinking about the mysterious composer.

***

        Junmyeon was discussing his favorite girl group songs with Baekhyun, while the rest (the rest being Minseok- the resident dad friend, Jongin- the proud dog owner and Sehun- the guy owned by his dog,) were chatting about their homeworks and the new gossips around campus. This time the topic of the main discussion was Yixing’s mysterious notebook.


"Are you sure there wasn’t a name there? It won’t be the first time you got yourself worked up for something easily solved," Minseok somehow always managed to sound like a grandpa talking to his bratty grandson, but he was nice and often bought them food, so they forgave him.


"I’m not that dumb," he wanted to protest further but after getting knowing looks from everyone on the table he just granted and opened the notebook again. Still nothing.


"What if I never find the owner of the notebook? What if they are worrying about getting their songs stolen while I’m here chatting with you? What if thanks to me these songs would never be released? I’d never forgive myself for it."


"Don’t be like that, Yixing! You know, a pessimist’s blood type is always B-negative." Apparently, even his best friend’s despair couldn’t stop Junmyeon from making a terrible pun, which earned him groans from Baekhyun and Jongin, a laugh from Minseok and a half-eaten fry to his face from Sehun. Overall a normal reaction Junmyeon’s jokes.


Seeing that his friends didn’t really have any solution, Yixing looked around trying to spot his group mates from composing class. Maybe he could guess whose it was.

So, there are 20 people in his class, it couldn’t be Hyojin, Amber or Yoongi, he could recognized their songs everywhere. It couldn’t be Wonsik or Teakwoon either because he did a group project with them and knew how messy their handwritings looked, unlike the neat one in the notebook. In the same way he eliminated everyone else coming to a dead end. Well, there was someone left but it was far too unlikely. There was no way Jongdae could have written it; he was far too air-headed for a song like that. Right?… Desperate situations call for desperate measures. He’d try to pay more attention to him. Maybe there was more to Jongdae than his loud screams and whines.


***

Watching Jongdae turned out to be a rather interesting occupation. Yixing noticed that Jongdae might have been loud and outgoing, but he was also caring. When their lecturer criticized Jonghyun’s writing and he cried afterwards, Jongdae was the first to come up to him and tell him how much he liked Jonghyun’s songs and patted him on the back when Jonghyun kept weeping. He was also the one who immediately stood between Hyuna and Hyunseung, when the latter begun to shame her in front of the whole group and threatened to hit her. Yixing was sure Jongdae would have punched him as well, if Hyuna didn’t push Jongdae out of the way and smacked the out of Hyunseung. He was a nice guy if you paid enough attention to notice and Yixing somehow felt ashamed to have patronized Jongdae like that. Maybe he was the writer, after all it wouldn’t hurt to ask. So that’s what Yixing did.


Lucky for Yixing, he managed to find Jongdae alone the next day when both of them had to stay late to get their homework back from the lecturer. They never really talked so it was an awkward-silence-filled trip back to their classroom to get their stuff and go home. Yixing was hesitant, but it was now or never.


"Um… Jongdae, I was meant to ask you something. Last Friday I found a notebook in this classroom. It was a lyrics book," Jongdae at first looked confused but now he looked kind of alarmed and Yixing once again felt guilty for reading something not meant for his eyes. "I didn’t want to read it. I don’t mean it’s bad, but I didn’t want to read someone else’s writings, but I really had no choice. There wasn’t a name there and I thought maybe I could recognize the handwriting or the writing style… Sorry I’m rambling. Anyways is there a chance that it’s yours?


There was an unreadable expression on Jongdae’s face. Yixing just hoped he wouldn’t get punched for invading the other’s privacy.


"So you read it?" Well, at least Yixing found the owner of the notebook. Now he just had to apologize and try to avoid Jongdae as much as it was possible for two people having the same class every day.


"Yeah, sorry about that, but I really didn’t mean to. If it’s any consolation to you, I loved your lyrics. Heck loved, I even wanted to compose music for it, but I guess it’s too much to ask."

Jongdae’s jaw dropped.


"You want to write music for my songs?"


"If you’d let me, then sure."


Jongdae looked away as if trying to gather his thoughts. Silence took over which was an unusual sight with Jongdae. After awhile, Jongdae looked at Yixing with a soft, hopeful smile Yixing had never seen before but sure hoped he’d see it again.


"Actually, that’s my secret lyrics notebook. I write there the songs that are far too personal to share with other people. I keep a close eye on it usually, but last Friday I was in a rush and forgot it here. For a few days I thought I lost it, but I’m glad you found it. If there is anyone who can read my lyrics without my permission, I’d rather it be you. I always liked your songs and kind of looked up to you, so your opinion is very important to me."


Yixing was shell shocked. He couldn’t help but stare at Jongdae. All this time he never thought of anyone looking up to him. Sure people liked his songs, but never looked up to him. He was all kinds of flattered. He was red and he knew it, but who cares, when the guy who wrote your favourite song-to-be is complementing you.


"Thanks, I really appreciate it."


"I know a way you can pay me back for reading my notebook," after seeing Yixing’s expectant eyes he continued grinning, "You can write the music for my songs!"


Yixing was beaming like an idiot and so was Jongdae, but they didn’t care since for some reason both of them were sure this was the beginning of something new and exciting.