Date or not to date?

The adventures of the black notebook

     Recently, there were 3 things constantly in Yixing’s mind: 1) what was going on in the dish-washing machines, 2) what do cats see when they stare at a distance, 3) how to confess your love to a guy, if you’ve never dated. The last question was of the most importance.

It all started on the day he gave Jongdae’s notebook back, more precisely the moment Jongdae beamed and asked him to compose music for his songs. Yixing knew he was majorly ed. When he first read the lyrics, he felt something in his heart which he couldn’t really explain. Maybe he felt touched by how sincere the words of the author were, maybe he was touched by the emotions conveyed in the couplets, or maybe he was just tired and overly emotional; a normal occurrence for him at nights. When the “thing” in his heart continued all throughout the weekend, he just convinced himself it was mere interest, because what else it could be? There was no way Yixing had a crush on a person he never knew before. But maybe, just maybe, Yixing wondered if the songs were dedicated to someone and if one day he’d be lucky enough to have this kind of songs written for him. So no, he didn’t have a crush, but he did have a pre-crush.

The pre-crush turned into a full-blown crush when he stayed after clases with Jongdae during exam week to study together. Studying in their case meant studying for 10 minutes before starting to talk about their favorite musicians and underappreciated singers. Sometime around that rainy Wednesday Yixing decided that Jongdae’s laugh was his favourite music and Jongdae was his favourite person.

They didn’t really talk much after that, but Jongdae always made sure to loudly greet Yixing across the hall just to see Yixing’s shy smile. And Yixing, on his part, made sure to always pay attention whenever Jongdae was talking and get to know the boy as much as he could. Sometimes Jongdae would leave his noisy friends and come to ask Yixing to explain him something or give opinion about his newly written songs. The more they talked the more Yixing wanted to get to know him and maybe ask him on a date, but it was difficult considering how shy he was. Lucky for him, his friends were nothing if not shameless and caring, so they asked Jongdae to sit with them during lunch, when the said boy’s friends were absent (possibly face somewhere in the corner according to Jongdae). So here he was sitting next to Jongdae and trying to think of a way to ask him out.

"You know, Yixing was so into your writing, we were thinking maybe he had a weird kink or something, especially after I once caught him caressing the notebook," remind Yixing to kill Junmyeon as soon as Jongdae leaves.

"Really? No wonder he can’t stop staring at me even after he gave it back to me."

Apparently Yixing’s lovesick gazes weren’t as discreet as he thought. Well . The table was roaring with laughter and he could nearly hear Jongin mattering “whipped” from the very end of their table. Okay, he’ll forgive Jongdae for publicly ridiculing him just because he’s cute, but the rest are going down.

"Wow, I really wish you guys started dating sooner. Jongdae is far too invested in embarrassing Yixing. Can you imagine all the whipped Yixing moments we missed out on?" said Sehun looking amusedly between Yixing and Jongdae. Yixing blushed deeply and wanted to deny that they weren’t dating (unfortunately) but Jongdae beat him to it.

"We aren’t dating, but it’s a mistake easily solved." said Jongdae before turning to face Yixing and wink at him.

To say Yixing is confused is an understatement. He opened and closed his mouth trying to think of a reply but his brain had crushed down and forgot how forming words worked. Jongdae kept smiling smugly at him which didn’t help the situation. Neither of them noticed the whole table turning dead silent, only Jongin’s groan was heard as he was handing 500₩ to an amused Sehun. Junmyeon and Minseok just exchanged knowing looks, while Baekhyun wept his fake tears saying something about how his son was finally gonna get laid.

Yixing seemed to come to his senses and whispered a quite “what”, before they both heard Jongdae’s friends calling after him. Jongdae simply bid everyone goodbye and when he turned to look at Yixing who was still frozen, he quickly kissed his cheek before muttering “you’re cute” and running off to his friends.

 

What the ?

 

***

 

Two days passed after this incident but Yixing still couldn’t comprehend that it in fact happened and Jongdae did kiss his cheek and said that he was cute and implied that maybe they could date. Well, he didn’t say that exactly but it sounded like it. Yixing briefly wondered if the boy did mean it when he implied that their not-dating was a mistake and maybe even liked him, but he had to admit that most likely the boy was just joking. After all Jongdae was quite affectionate and never shied away from hugging his friends or holding their hands, so maybe it applied to kisses as well. Maybe he was just over-analyzing.

Ugh, this isn’t good. He promised Jongdae to compose music for his songs, but he couldn’t concentrate with his brain filled with possibilities and daydreams. The best thing to do right now was to ignore his feelings and concentrate on something else, that something else being dancing. Music had always been his passion so he was really lucky to have both the voice and the body for creating art. He spent his time composing songs and rearranging already written ones, but when the things got too rough, when he was too tired or too stress he danced. The best way to forget about the hundred questions in his mind was to go to the dance studio near the university, which was luckily owned by his friend and former student Chenle's father, and dance his heart out.

So that’s what he did, or at least wanted to do until he went to buy a new pair of headphones (his old ones were torn apart thanks to Vivi). His eyes looked comically wide when he heard a very familiar voice saying.

"Who even buys headphones at 11pm?"

Of ing course, the cashier at the store had to be the only person Yixing was trying very hard to avoid thinking about. But Jongdae was beaming, so he couldn’t help smiling himself.

"My old ones got ruined - the courtesy of a devil disguised as a dog, so here I am."

"So you though it was reasonable to buy a new pair at 11pm instead of enjoying sleep like every sensible student would?"

"Well, my mum did always say I was kinda dumb so…"

Somehow Jongdae’s laugh made him forget about his inner turmoil. Maybe he shouldn’t have tried to figure things out all by himself, maybe he should just be more direct…

"Date me."

This did count as direct, but this wasn’t what he had in mind. Jongdae froze for a second before arching his eyebrows and looking at Yixing with an amused expression.

"Is that an order?"

"More like a request bad formulated?" Yixing smiled sheepishly remembering all the times his cuteness saved him from his mum’s and later his friends’ well justified wrath. It was a cheap trick, but all was fair in love and war or something like that.

Jongdae just chuckled. This had to be good right? Who even chuckles before rejecting someone?

"Well if this is a request I can say “no” right?"

Yixing’s smile disappeared.

"You can, but I wouldn’t advise you to." Yixing tried to keep the mood light but he was terrified. What if Jongdae rejects him? What if he ends their friendship? What if he starts  ignoring Yixing after this? What if he’ll never…

"Okay then."

… wait… what?

Yixing’s brain was not cooperating; who even gets back-stabbed by their own brain twice during a five-minute conversation?

"Earth to Yixing, you there buddy?" Jongdae begun waving his hands in front of Yixing’s eyes.

Yixing grabbed his wrist and stared at his eyes. Jongdae froze and stared back blushing hard.

"Are you serious, Jongdae? Would you date me?"

Jongdae farrowed his brows.

"Of course I am. Do you think I’d joke about dating the guy I had a crush on for more than a year?"

"What? You had a crush on me for a year?"

"More than a year, but if you want to hear the story of my pathetic crush on you, you have to bribe me with coffee and the chocolate cake at the coffee shop down the road."

Yixing knew that he was smiling like an idiot, but who cares; the guy he liked said that he liked him back, for now it’s all that mattered.

"Deal."