The beginning

Allure of Darkness

England, around 1100

 

"Give Aria a white dress. It suits her better." Edith told the tailor.

It was Margaret's birthday today and the whole kindom was getting ready for the big celebration. Margaret was turning 18 and Aria could not help but feel nostalgic. She reminisced the old days, when her and her older sister were running in the castle, shouting and playing with each other. They were kids back then, free from obligations. Now that they were growing older the pressure of being the princesses was getting more intense. Plus the king and the queen hoped that Margaret's birthday would be a good opportunity for the girls to find some good looking princes.

"I liked the black better though." Aria answered honestly.

"You'll put on the white one. End of story." 

"Let her wear what she likes mom." Margaret intervened.

"You'll put on the green one. It suits your eyes." The queen replied, not paying attention to her daughters.

"I give up." Said Margaret.

The two girls got ready and looked in the mirror. They were sisters, but they didn't look alike. Margaret looked more like her father. Light brown hair, green eyes, small lips, pale complexion. Aria, on the other hand looked more like her mother. Black hair, light brown eyes, fuller lips, pale complexion. The pale complexion of the girls was due to the fact that they weren't allowed to leave the palace, so the sun's rays barely reached them.

"Are you ready girls?" Edith, the queen asked.

"Yes mom." They both replied.

"Come with me then.

The girls accompanied their mother. They walked all the way to the royal hall where their father waited for them. The hall was full, of princes, princesses, dukes and other noblemen.

"I want to thank each and every one of you for being here today. As you already know Margaret, my older daughter is turning 18, so I organized this celebration for her. I wish my daughter a happy life and a loving husband. Happy birthday Margaret." The king said full of emotion. The whole crowd started clapping their hands.

"And here is my younger daughter as well. Aria, I hope you find a good husband as well. It's about time I marry you two off."
He continued and the crowd laughed at his words.


Aria and Margaret were wandering in the hall hand in hand looking at all the good looking men that were there. The men in the hall, of course, could not take their eyes off the young ladies as they were both exceptionally good looking.

"Margie, let's do something adventurous." Aria said to her older sister.

"Adventurous as?"

"I don't know. Something, anything. You turned 18! Plus it's our only opportunity as mother and father are busy talking to people. They won't notice us."

"You think? Do you have anything in mind?"

"Let's leave the palace."

"Are you mad?! We never left the palace. We know nothing about the outer world. We'll get lost."

"Stop exaggerating Margaret. We won't go far. Let's do it!" Aria said and spread her hand.

"Fine! I want to go out too. But you'll do as I say, and when I say we're coming back, we're coming back. Deal?"

"Deal!"
 

And like so, the two sisters walked out the hall, cautious not to get caught by anyone. First of all, they went to their respective rooms and took their capes. That way they could hide themselves. Then, they carefully tried to escape the palace. And they did. They blended in the crowd that entered and left the palace and so they managed to get out.

"We're crazy, let's go back Aria." Margaret said, trying to convince her sister that what they were doing was dangerous.

"We're already out! Don't back down now. Let's walk a little. Aren't you curious for the world outside the castle? Aren't you tired of being forbidden to leave that place? I hate it that we're doing it secretly, but there's no other way! Mom and dad are never going to let us out!"

"Still! It's dangerous! What if something happens?"

"What could possibly happen? Come on Margie! Let's do it once!"
 

Margaret did not say a thing. She just simply grabbed her sister's hand and started walking towards an unknown road.

"Thank you." Aria whispered as she grabbed her sister's hand tighter.

 

The girls wandered in the unfamiliar landscape in awe. Before them, was a new world, a world they had no idea existed. They were in what they supposed it was a market. The road was full of people, young boys and girls walking and smiling to each other, and older men and women working and selling their products. The sun had almost gone down and the road was full of lights.

"See Margie? Isn't it beautiful?"
"It is...I would have never guessed...I want to come here everyday."
"Look at all this jewelry! Let's take a look!" Aria said, excited to see all these things.

"This pin is so beautiful!" Margaret said.

"Next time we come, we'll take some coins and I'll buy it for you."

"Will there be a next time Aria?"
"I hope so! We'll find a way..."

The two girls walked some more.

"Are you new here? I never saw you before." A young man told the girls. At first the girls did not know if he was directed at them so they asked him if he was talking about them.

"Yes, I'm talking about you. I guess you are new, I would have noticed you if you weren't."
"Let's say so. Let's say we're new." Margaret replied.

The said man was a good looking person, around 20 years old. His hair was brown, and his eyes were light blue. His beard was barely visible.

"Do you want me to show you around?"
"No thanks." Margaret quickly said.

"As you wish..." He said and started walking away.

"Just one question!" Aria quickly shouted.
"What is it?"
"What's over there?"
"It's the forest. I wouldn't suggest that you go there. It's not dangerous, but the sun is almost down and you're new here so you won't know how to come back."
"Thank you."

 

"Margaret..."
"I know what you'll say and NO!"
"Please...You know how much I love the nature. We'll see all those pretty trees and flowers...Come on let's just go for a little. Not too far from here."
"Aria we're not going anywhere. You heard him! We'll get lost! I want to go back. Let's go." Margaret said and tried to catch Aria
's hand but she missed it.

"Why do you suddenly want to go back?"
"I'm getting scared. Why would a stranger talk to us? He could be dangerous and it could happen again. Let's go back. We're safe in the castle."

"I'm not going back! If you don't want to come with me, then I'll go alone!"

"Are you an idiot?! You think I'll actually let you go in there? And alone?"
"Come with me if you don't want me to go there alone."
"I'm not going there Aria!"
"Then go back." Aria started walking towards the forest. Margaret's voice became more distant as she walked further in.

 

"I'll tell mom if you don't come with me!" "You'll be in trouble!" She heard her sister screaming. But Aria was curious and excited. She knew that what she was going to see would be interesting, but this new reality was just too good for her. She wanted to explore everything, and she didn't want to wait for the next opportunity to leave the castle. This next opportunity could come in days, months or even years and she didn't want to wait that long. She was there now, so why would she wait?

"It's so beautiful here..." She thought out loud, as she was cutting some flowers.

Suddenly, she reached a lake. Beside the lake, was a big wooden house. Aria got closer. The landscape was mind blowing. The moon reflected in the lake and the trees around it just added to the picture. Aria got closer to the lake and she wet her hands. She kept some water in them and she threw it to her face.

The cold water amused her, and so she did it again and again, laughing.

"If you keep doing this, you'll end up drenched in water." The voice caught Aria off guard and she turned her back to see the owner.

"Who are you?" She quickly asked as she noticed the man. He was the most handsome man she ever saw. His hair was dark brown, his eyes as well and his brows were arched. He was so charming...
"No lady...The question should be who YOU are...You're the one outside my house, laughing, screaming and throwing water here and there."
"Do you live in that house?" Aria asked pointing to the wooden house.
"I do."
"What's your name?"
"I'll tell you my name, if you tell me yours first..."
"I asked you first."
"You're the intruder here."
"I came here by chance. I don't know this place."
"It's dangerous. Don't come here alone. You'll never know who or what you'll meet in the forest. Especially in the night." Aria swore his eyes were shining.

"Don't scare me."
"I'm just pointing a fact. What were you thinking, coming here alone?"
"I didn't want to come alone here. The circumstances forced me."
"So what are your circumstances?"
"Tell me you name first."
"We're full of questions for each other. Do you want to come in?"
"I'm not going in a stranger's house."
"Well, we're all alone in the forest. If I want to harm you I can do it here just fine too."
"Yes, but you don't want to harm me, right?"
"For now... Fine. If you don't want to go inside, let's stay here. Sit down." He said as he sat down the grass. Aria followed.

"One question for you and one for me young lady."

"Deal. Then as a lady, I'll go first. What's your name?"
"Alexander."

"I like your name. Where are you from?"
"One question, we said."
"Fine. Go on."
"Who are you?"
"You don't care about my name?"
"Who are you is a question that demands more answers than just your name." Aria was taken aback by his smartness. There was something about this man that intrigued her. A lot...She just wanted to tell him everything.

"Well...I don't know if I can trust you. I'm not someone you could meet everyday you know."
"Makes two of us." He said with a grin.

"I'm Aria. This kingdom's princess."
"Are you Stephen's daughter?"
"How do you know my father?"
"Who doesn't know the king?"
"You sounded like you know him personally."
"Let's say I do..."
"You're full of mystery Mr. Alexander."

"That's one of my many charms."
"Modest as well."
"Who's turn is now? I'm lost."
"It's my turn...Why do you live here?"
"Oh...Let's say my family consists of noblemen and I got tired of the life in the city. I prefer the quiet life here in the forest."

"It's beautiful here..."
"Why are you not in the castle? I thought you aren't allowed to go out."
"How do you know?"
"People talk. Anyway, it's getting late. Do you know how to go back?"
"I don't know If I know...If that makes sense."
"Okay I got it. You don't know how to go back. Stand up. I'll take you."
"Really? Are you going to take me back? You won't harm me right?"
"I told you. If I wanted to harm you I would have done so. Let's go."

The two of them started walking towards the city.

"I want to come again..." Aria said all of a sudden.

"I liked it so much here. In the city...In the forest. Other people take these things for granted, but they're new to me...And I'm so excited." She continued.
"I want you to come again, too."
"What?" Aria was taken aback.

"I haven't talked to someone in a while and being with a beautiful lady like you was fun."
"You think I'm beautiful?"
"You think you're not?
"Then can I come to see you again?"
"If you want to do so you know where to find me...Right there is the city. I won't come with you further. It was nice meeting you princess."
"Let's see each other again Alexander." Aria said with a promising smile.
"I'll be waiting..." He said as he walked away. Aria swore she wanted to run to him and stay with him for the whole night. But she had to go. She wasn't sure if her sister informed their parents about her whereabouts and it was getting late so she started asking people for the direction of the castle and when she reached there, she secretly got in. 

She left her cape in her room and she ran to the royal hall. There she saw her sister talking with her mother. When Margaret spotted Aria her eyes opened widely as she walked over her.

"I was ready to tell mom the truth! Thank god you appeared!" Margaret said.

"You won't believe what I'm about to tell you."
"I don't care about your trees and your flowers! Do you know how much I worried?"
"I wasn't going to tell you about trees and flowers. I was going to tell you about something much more interesting I met in the forest."
"What are you talking about?"
"I met a man. I swear he's the most handsome man I've ever seen."
"Did you really find a man in the forest?"
"Yes...He lives there, he's perfect, you have no idea."
"He could be dangerous!"
"He isn't. If you saw his eyes you'd know...I trust him completely."
"Well, you're not going to see him again anyway."
"That's why I need your help."
"No no no no! I'm not helping you with this."
"You need to help me escape Margie! I have to see him again!"

 

"What are you two talking about?" Edith asked her daughters.
"Nothing!" Aria quickly answered.
"Where were you Aria? I've been looking for you!"
"I was in my room...I got bored here."
"Bored? I thought you liked these celebrations."
"Well, I'm sleepy. Let's talk tomorrow mom. I'm going to sleep."
"Whatever..."

 

And so Aria walked to her room, thinking of that man she met and something told her he was going to be special in her life. And she was right...Alexander would play a great role in her life. 


Current time, 2017 (preview for the next chapter)

Aria was preparing some papers she had to bring to school. She decided she would attend school for the nth time. This time, in Seoul. She had come back to the place where it all began. In this place she had been the happiest she remembers in her long life. Here, she met her true love and she gave birth to her precious daughter. The daughter she kept looking for every day. Here, she once dreamt a happy life...And she hoped life would recompensate her some day...

 

Author's Corner

So here's the first chapter of this fic. I thought that the first chapters should narrate Aria's life and that's why Sehun hasn't appeared yet. At this point I want to explain some things.

1) In the first chapters Sehun will only appear in the current time. He'll appear again when Aria reaches Goryeo.

2) When Aria finally reaches Goryeo Sehun will go with a different name, as he's supposed to be the reincarnation of the king. Thus I can't name the king Sehun.

3) I'm trying to write Aria's backround fast so that we can move on to the main story, which is Sehun and Aria in the current time. That's why it might seem like things are going too fast in the first chapters.

4) I hope you all enjoy this fic :)