Hero (Hyungwonho)

A Day at the Amusement Park

“Hyung, I want to go on that one,” Hyungwon says as he points to the Ferris wheel with a smile. Hoseok smiles at him, although his mind is screaming at him to say no. He nods silently, unable to deny that expectant smile of the younger. Hyungwon excitedly begins to make his way towards the ride, Hoseok’s feet beginning to drag as he follows.

The couple climbs into the compartment, Hoseok’s legs shaking much like Jooheon’s had while they waited to get on the horror ride earlier. Hoseok gratefully sits down on the bench first, Hyungwon following suit much calmer than the older. Hyungwon watches Hoseok with a bemused grin as the cart begins its ascension to the sky, sliding his long fingers into his hyung’s hand supportively.

“What if it falls through?” Hoseok finds himself asking as he stares at the floor of the compartment. Hyungwon can’t hold back the laugh that comes at that.

“If it does, then I’ll just have to catch you,” he answers jokingly in an attempt to distract him. However, it doesn’t work, and seems to only frighten the older more. Hyungwon pauses for a moment, trying to think of a way to pull his attention away from his fear. “Just look at me, hyung,” he finally says.

Hoseok is slow to comply, his anxious eyes having to practically be torn away from the floor. He stares at Hyungwon’s features, his beautiful, plump lips, his dark, wide eyes. His angelic face is still enough to take Hoseok’s breath away just by looking at him, despite having been with him as a friend and lover for over a year. The brunette gives Hoseok a small smile.

“See?” Hyungwon says, suddenly breaking the wonderful silence that had filled the air. “You stopped shaking. I bet you didn’t even realize that we’re at the top of the wheel now.” Hoseok suddenly whips his head around, a yelp of fear escaping his lips as he notices that the younger is right. How could they be so high up already? Surely he hadn’t been staring at Hyungwon for that long…

Hyungwon chuckles as he puts an arm around Hoseok’s shoulders, snuggling close to him as the chilly wind of autumn blows through their cart. Hoseok moves closer to him as well, seeming to shrink against the younger.

 

Hyungwon doesn’t know why he picked the Ferris wheel, of all things, to go on. He knows as well as anyone how terrified Hoseok is of heights. As if the bungee jumping experience in Macao wasn’t enough of a reminder of his acrophobia, Hyungwon could think of plenty more times when Hoseok’s fear had been a hindrance on the older in some way or another. But, something about the ride had called to him. It feels like he’s trying to prove something to Hoseok, but he doesn’t know what.

Suddenly, his mind flashes back to an argument they had had a few days before. Yet again, Hyungwon had walked in on Jooheon and Minhyuk having an intimate discussion about what was bothering them at the moment. Hyungwon had always been somewhat jealous of how much the two leaned on and supported each other, despite the fact they weren’t even an official couple. Hoseok rarely ever leaned on Hyungwon for anything important, never seemed to open up to the younger nearly as much as Minhyuk opened up to Jooheon.

Hyungwon had brought this up to Hoseok one evening when they were out getting snacks for the dorm. Hoseok had dodged the subject, trying to make a joke to diffuse the situation. However, Hyungwon didn’t accept that. He pressed on and on, trying to somehow convince Hoseok that he could trust the younger with anything. Eventually, they ended up arguing. They made up the next day, but Hoseok had never relented and opened up to Hyungwon in any way since then, so he isn’t sure if he actually got his point across or not.

 

Hoseok’s frightened yell brings Hyungwon back to the present. Their cart has begun to move again, and the older had squished closer to the taller desperately as soon as it began to descend. Hyungwon runs his fingers through his blue and white hair lovingly, hoping the action will calm him in some way. It seems to work, Hoseok’s shaking subsiding immensely.

“Hyung,” Hyungwon says gently. Hoseok glances up at Hyungwon, his irises seeming to shake with fear. “I want to know that you really do trust me. I know you say you do, but I want you to understand that I really don’t feel like you do most of the time.” Hoseok’s face morphs into one of confusion, not understanding where this is coming from.

“Hyungwonnie,” Hoseok begins, leaning impossibly closer to the younger, “if I didn’t trust you, I wouldn’t have gotten on this ride with you.” There’s no trace of anxiety or terror as he says this, his eyes instead bright and earnest. Hyungwon is struck silent by his gaze, unsure of how to reply. Hoseok sighs at his silence. “Just because I don’t vent to you like Jooheon and Minhyuk do with each other doesn’t mean I don’t trust you, it just means I don’t have anything to vent to you about. I’m actually incredibly happy with my life right now, and that’s because of you. So, I get a bit annoyed when you get notions in your head that I’m secretly miserable and just not telling you.”

A strong gust of wind suddenly blows against the compartment, shaking them. Hoseok whimpers, all seriousness gone and replaced with panic.

“We’re gonna fall!” he cries, holding tightly onto Hyungwon. Hyungwon can only chuckle at this.

“I’ll fly down and catch you, hyung,” he whispers in the older’s ear lovingly. “I’ll save you.”

 

The ride soon comes to an end, and the couple spends their remaining time feeding each other food affectionately at a table with whatever they can think to buy. Hoseok, of course, uses every opportunity he can to get something on Hyungwon’s lips. He uses it as an excuse every time to lean forward and kiss the younger repeatedly, so they spend most of the time making out instead of eating.

They become so caught up in their not-eating-time that they’re late meeting the others back at the front gate. Kihyun begins to nag them as soon as they walk up, and Chankgyun seems all too eager to egg him on.

“Don’t encourage him, brat!” Hoseok complains, aiming a slap at the maknae. He says this with a smirk, earning a mischievous chuckle from the youngest. Changkyun sees the van pull up, and runs toward it at top speed. Hoseok begins to break away from Hyungwon to playfully chase after him, looking to ruin his hairstyle in some annoying way, but Hyungwon holds onto his hand tightly. Hoseok glances over at him questioningly, and the younger only nods towards the two people already climbing into the van in response.

“Jooheon-ssi and Minhyuk-hyung seem different,” Hyungwon says curiously, unable to place why it is something seems to have changed between them. Hoseok shrugs, all thoughts of getting back at Changkyun put aside for now.

“Maybe they’ve finally become a couple,” Hoseok guesses. Hyungwon hums in agreement, knowing that could very well be the case. It’s been a long time coming, those two getting together. They were more physically affectionate than Hoseok and Hyungwon around the dorm, and that was really saying something. Hyungwon holds Hoseok back a moment, allowing Hyunwoo and Kihyun to pass them. The taller pulls Hoseok close to him, and places a loving kiss on his lips. Hoseok hums against Hyungwon’s lips in gratitude, making a note to continue the exchange later that night as he pulls away.

The two then join the others in the van, very much content with how the day had gone. Too bad everyday couldn’t be like this one.