The Horror House

A Day at the Amusement Park

“I want to go through the haunted house,” Changkyun announces. As soon as the words leave his lips, the others instinctively turn to watch Jooheon’s expression. Kihyun laughs soundlessly, his mouth agape in a dimpled smile, as the main rapper’s content expression morphs to one of exasperation and fear.

It was a rare free day for the MONSTA X boys, their manager allowing them time outside to go to a nearby amusement park. It was the first time in a long time they were free to wander without having to do a VLive broadcast, CH.MX video, or anything of the like. They had already agreed to split up in subgroups for the majority of the time, but also wanted to do something together before doing so. They had gone down the line, saying what each wanted to do. It was already clear that the majority liked the youngest’s idea, if for nothing more than to be amused by a screaming Jooheon. They all voted, a clear consensus coming out in favor of the haunted house, and they began to make their way there.

Kihyun walks alongside Hyunwoo, slipping his hand into the older’s with a grin. Hyunwoo blushes slightly, but squeezes Kihyun’s hand in response all the same. Hoseok wraps an arm around Hyungwon as they walk behind the pair, starting up a conversation about how excited he is to be free from the dorm and company building. Changkyun bounces in between the couples, making puns here and there and speaking plain nonsense in an effort to keep his hyungs entertained.

Minhyuk and Jooheon walk a few steps away from the others, Minhyuk wrapping his arms around Jooheon’s stomach from behind. He hums softly in Jooheon’s ear, trying to distract him from the impending ride of terror.

“Jooheonney,” Minhyuk murmurs in a lighthearted tone. “I know you’re scared already thinking about this, but don’t worry. I’ll be right there with you the whole time.”

“Thank you, hyung,” Jooheon replies in a low voice, flashing Minhyuk one of his signature dimpled grins. Minhyuk coos at the expression, hugging the younger closer to him as he affectionately pulls at his cheeks.

Even during No Mercy, Minhyuk had always been the most physically affectionate of the group. He didn’t think anyone minded it back then, because none had said anything against it, but during a Deokspatch episode it had been brought up, and, well, it became clear no one was quite as comfortable with it as Minhyuk had thought. However, as soon as the final lineup of debuting trainees had been chosen, everyone became a lot more affectionate with each other, so Minhyuk felt okay again to latch onto the boys as he had in the past.

Especially with Jooheon.

He loved hugging Jooheon. Hugging the young rapper was just like a stuffed koala bear, and it only helped that he was even cuter than one. Their energies had always mixed together well, too, them being the main pranksters of the group whenever they thought they could get away with it.

As their promotions progressed, Jooheon had begun leaning on Minhyuk more and more. Jooheon was always the most popular in the group, and whenever his schedules became too much for him he would always find Minhyuk to lean on. The undying ray of sunshine always had something positive to point out, his smile never failing to lighten the invisible weights on Jooheon’s shoulders. Jooheon loved Minhyuk for that, for always being there for him.

The group arrives at the haunted house in no time, and Hyunwoo steps forward to purchase entry tickets. They fall in line, Jooheon’s legs beginning to shake anxiously. The others glance over at him amusedly, already anticipating his entertaining screams. If it was anything like the broadcast of the courage test they did for Deokspatch X, they were in for a treat.

They each take seats in the small carts, Hyunwoo and Kihyun taking the car up front, followed by Hoseok and Hyungwon and Jooheon and Minhyuk, leaving Changkyun to take up the rear alone. The line of cars lurch forward with a rattle, eliciting a whimper from Jooheon. Minhyuk tightens his grip on Jooheon’s hand, making sure the younger knew he was there right beside him for support.

Darkness engulfs the cars as they take the boys into the haunted house ride. Neon lights and smoke surround them as various mannequins dressed in numerous gorey ways jump out at them with high-pitched screams. Jooheon gives a short yell at each sudden appearance, earning giggles from the youngest of them. Kihyun, Hyungwon, and Hoseok can’t blame him much though, being much more scared by the ride than they had expected to be. The vocalists spend their voices screaming along with their rapper. Chankgyun smiles mockingly, unable to help but begin to make a mental list of all the ways he could tease them about it once they return to the dorm.

Jooheon begins to hum a hymn under his breath, so low that Minhyuk is sure he’s the only one that can hear. Despite being undeniably amused by Jooheon’s skittishness, he wraps his arms around Jooheon’s sides and pulls him close. The younger latches onto him, grateful to have someone by his side. Having someone with him makes this experience much easier than when he had to do the courage test alone just for being voted the most chicken-hearted of MONSTA X, which to him was completely unfair to begin with. If he had been able to have Minhyuk with him, like he does now, he’d have been able to go through it much quicker (and with less chance of passing out from shock).

 

The ride ends soon enough, much to Jooheon’s relief. His nose begins to run, causing him to sniffle and wipe at his nose with his sleeve. Minhyuk coos at him, patting at his face with his oversized sleeves. Minhyuk kisses Jooheon’s dimple comfortingly, holding the younger impossibly close to him as they leave the ride behind.

“Everyone,” Kihyun says as they assemble a few feet from the ride and off to the side, “be sure to meet back at the entrance in two hours. If you aren’t there on time, we aren’t going to wait around for you. You’ll just have to catch a cab.”

“Yes, Mom,” they murmur together, causing Kihyun to smirk at them. Hoseok then begins to lead Hyungwon away from the group, pulling him along happily as they begin to discuss what to do, and the others slowly follow their lead.