CHAPTER II

The Salarymen

While other departments busied themselves in the office, one team had strolling around the rural areas in Gangwon Province for about five hours. As the time passed by, they went more deeper into the mountains.

"Why on earth we doing a survey in the middle of mountain during the winter", gruntled Associate Manager Kim in annoyance. "We are basically hiking. It is freezing!"

Kim Jun-ho. 42 years old. Associate Manager of Research Department 2. He is a sly and lazy personality whose survived in the company for such a long time. He lives alone while his wife working in a foreign company abroad. His slyness made him a master of 'dirty business' in the company whose always able to secure the contracts through unethical ways. He was disciplined for such behavior in 2011 after he made a contract with an illegal gambling business in Macao. Albeit that, Associate Manager Kim remains being highly respected by his colleagues.

"Quit whining, Mr. Kim. We are almost near to our survey site. Is not that correct, Section Chief Kim?", asked Manager Cha to Section Chief Kim

Cha Tae-hyun. 41 years old. Manager of Research Department 2. He is an easy-going leader of his department. Compared with other heads of department, Manager Cha trusts and cares his subordinates so much despite their incapabilities and incompetence. He entered the company at the same time with Associate Manager Kim, but was promoted quicker after been transferred to current team in 2012 for his good and clean record. He is a quiet personality in the workplace, but a talkative one when drinking. His heavy drinking behavior, however, brought him a wide business network inside and outside of the company.

"Yes, Sir. I had been looking to Google Maps and it said we are in the correct path to our survey site", Section Chief Kim answered confidently

Kim Jong-min. 38 years old. Section Chief of Research Department 2. He has a slow-witted but cheerful persona whose making him well liked by many company employees. Unlike his other colleagues, he stays in Research Department 2 for about 10 years despite the change in staff members. His perseverance made him promoted from an intern employee when he first joined into his current position as a Section Chief. Although he is only a Section Chief, Manager Cha personally respected and adored him for his long-time standing in Research Department 2.

"Then why we keep going here and there for about five hours? My legs getting weaker now!", Associate Manager Kim complained. "Let me look at your smartphone"

Associate Manager Kim looked carefully to the route in Google Maps before he looked getting annoyed. "You fool, you chose the longest route for us!"

"Ugh, really?", asked Section Chief Kim innocently as he looked again to his smartphone

"What is the fuss about, Associate Manager Kim?", asked Manager Cha

"This stupid made us walking in the longest route. I told you before Sir that will be more faster for us to take a bus", whined Vice Chief Kim. "Aah, aah, I think I get a cramp in my leg!", he groaned in pain while grabbing his right leg

"He had been our department for about 10 years, yet he is still incompetent as always", complained Deputy Yoo

Yoo Dae-joon. 41 years old. Deputy Section Chief of Research Department 2. A heavy-looking build outside, Deputy Yoo is a very shy person deep inside his heart but very talkative among his work colleagues. After briefly transferred to Sales Department 3 eight years ago, his career began to rise with the help of his friend, Deputy Jung Hyung-don. Being influenced by Manager Yoo in many ways, he is more dilligent and hardworking compared with other employees in his department whose more laid-back and easy-going. He is an otaku in personal life and fluent in speaking Japanese, making him valuable in gaining the buyers from Japan.

"And I am getting hungry now", added Deputy Yoo. "Why do not we find an eatery first, Sir?"

"Be patient, Deputy Yoo. The navigator said we are almost near to our destination. So, just hang on, will you?", assured Manager Cha

"Alright, Sir"

"Hey, look, look, there is a river there!", pointed Employee Jung to a stream across the road they took

Jung Joon-young. 28 years. Youngest regular employee in Research Department 2. A foreign-born youngster, he is a free-spirited man who usually does not put the strict Korean hierarchy when conversing with his superiors. Despite being the youngest, he is very rebellious to his superiors, especially to Associate Manager Kim and Section Chief Kim. However, he considered Manager Cha as his mentor in workplace and usually came to his home to get lunch. He can be considered as a part of Manager Cha's household.

"Sir, I think that is the survey site that we had been seek for", said Deputy Yoo to Manager Cha

"I think you are right. Let's go!", said Manager Cha to all of his staff members

As they drawn closer to the river, a stream with very clear mountain water flowing calmly. Across the stream, they could see a small village. But, there is no any bridge; they could only crossing the river with a small boat prepared in the riverside. There was a rope across the river with a strong iron wire connected between the wire and the boat so they can moves to the village easily.

"Hey, lets ride that boat", suggested Manager Cha to his employees

"What for, Sir?", asked Associate Manager Kim back

"We should going to the village of course"

"But, are you really sure that the village is our survey site?", Associate Manager asked him again

"We will try. Maybe we at least can get refreshing over there"

"I think you are right, Sir", nodded Associate Manager Kim. "Employee Yoon, pull that boat closer, will you?"

"Yes, Sir!"

Yoon Dong-gu. 31 years old. New regular employee in Research Department 2. He just joined the company last year after completed his military service. A very good-looking and was former member of Marine Corps, he is unfortunately more slow-witted compared with Employee Jung and has a very poor athletic ability. He was very energetic when first joined Research Department 2, but slowly became more laid-back like his superiors.

"That is strange. My navigator does not detects any village here", said Section Chief Kim as he looked at his phone carefully

"Of course, that is not. We are in the middle of mountains now. Satellites can not reach this area", told Employee Jung as he untied the boat from the riverside

"But, I still feel strange somehow"

"Stop worrying and now help us pushing the boat!", scolded Associate Manager Kim

They then boarded the boat to cross the river. When they arrived in the village, the village dogs swarmed and welcomed them. Strangely, as they went further into the village, there is no single person they met. On other hands, as they visited every residence, there were more dogs followed them whenever they went.

"This is strange. There is no one in every house, but more dogs appear whereever we go", said Manager Cha curiously

"But at least the dogs are cute. They are really happy to see us. I wonder where they owners are?", wondered Section Chief Kim

"Sir, we had been went around this village, but we can not find anyone here. You think we should just return across the river now?", asked Deputy Yoo

"The sun is almost setting. I think we must simply going out from this mountain before we trapped in the mountain at night", suggested Employee Jung

"You are right. We can not stay here", said Manager Cha in agreement. "Hey, where is Associate Manager Kim?". As the staff looked around, they found Associate Manager Kim childishly played around with the dogs.

"Mr. Kim, stop playing around! We must return now", said Manager Cha

"Oh, yes, Sir"

"He is 42 years old already, but still acting immature. Tsk-tsk", said Deputy Yoo pitied him

They boarded the boat again and returned to their early route. They travelled the mountain for about an hour before finally saw an inn. As the sun was already setting, they hurried themselves to enter the inn.

Manager Cha carefully opened the inn's door and peeked inside. "Hello. Anybody here?"

"Oh, a guest, welcome, Sir, welcome!", said an old man who owns the inn warmly

"We were travelling around this mountain but somehow got lost", said Manager Cha

"Really? You must be not from this area. Do you guys want to stay or just eat?"

"We do not want to stay. Just give us some food if you do not mind"

"Of course. Just this way", said the owner as he led the staff into their eating room

"A nice inn you have, Sir", quipped Section Chief Kim

"Thank you. Actually, there are not so many guests come here actually because of our remote location. But I will treat you as nicely as possible"

"Thank you very much", said Manager Cha

As they finished eating and relaxed, they chatted with the owner and told him about the village they had visited before.

"We were going there and there was no one. We could only find the dogs", told Employee Yoon

"You guys are lucky", said the owner

"Why?", they asked in unison

"Actually, there is a legend in this area. The legend said there is a cursed village located in the middle of small river on this mountain. The ones who live there are the shape-shifters. They were usually appears in the form of dogs and only transforming into humans during the full moon in the spring"

"You mean that the dogs we had encountered before are shape-shifters?", asked Manager Cha

"Probably. They were cursed since the time of Goguryeo as they rebelled the king and his court about one thousand years ago. The dogs were actually the nobles and their families who plotted to kill King Jangsu of Goguryeo. However, the king found their plan and placed them in a curse. They were condemned and sent into a small islet in the middle of this mountain"

All employees looked each other in horrors as they had encountered a supernatural phenomenon before their own eyes.

"That is all because of you that we are lost in the middle of mountain now, Section Chief Kim!", blamed Associate Manager Kim

"I advice you all that you should leave this area before the night getting deeper. That will be more dangerous if you all travel this mountain at night"

"He is right, guys. We should leave now", said Manager Cha. "Is there any bus stop nearby, Sir?"

"Just walking straight in the road in the left of my inn and you will find a bus stop soon"

"Okay. Guys, come on and let's go!"

"Wait. Who will paying our foods?", asked Associate Manager Kim

"How about playing a game of fortune to decide the one who should paying it all?", suggested Employee Jung

"Good idea", praised Manager Cha. "Let's play rock-paper-scissor!"

On the first round, Employee Jung easily won against most of his superiors. He was a lucky person for sure. On the second round, Manager Cha and Deputy Yoo barely survived as they drawn scissor against the rest who drawn rock. This left only Associate Manager Kim, Section Chief Kim and Employee Yoon, the ones with least fortune. On the final round, Associate Manager Kim unfortunately was selected as the one who paying their food when Section Chief Kim and Employee Yoon both drawn paper agains Associate Manager's rock.

"Good. Now you pay!", ordered Manager Cha to sulking Associate Manager Kim after lost to his subordinates

Before they left the inn, the staff bid their farewell to the owner. "Thank you for your help, Sir. We owed to you so much", thanked Manager Cha

"Ah, I am glad can help"

"By the way, can we know your name, Sir, if you do not mind it?", asked Deputy Yoo

"My name is Goryeon. Go Goryeon"

After bid their farewell, the staff walked the route that had been told by Mr. Go before and they finally found a bus stop not so far from the inn. When the bus came, they quickly board into it and sighed in relief after been lost in the middle of Gangwon mountains.

"I see you guys are not from this area", quipped the bus driver

"Yes, we lost our way today", said Manager Cha

"We even came to a strange village there", added Employee Yoon

"Village? You mean that cursed one?"

"Yes, yes!", the staff nodded in unison

"Ah, you guys are really lucky to be survived from those mountain. Those place is inhabited by the ghosts and goblins"

"That is exactly what the inn owner said to us too", said Associate Manager Kim

The driver became silence for awhile before he asked them again. "What inn?"

"The inn nears the bus stop, do not you know?", asked Deputy Yoo back

"There is no inn in those mountain", told the driver which shocked the staff. All of them became quiet and looked each other in horror

"Mr. Cha", said Section Chief Kim breaking the silence, "I think I ever heard the owner's name somewhere"

"What do you mean?"

"Goryeon actually is the birth name of King Jangsu of Goguryeo and the family name of the Goguryeo kings was Go. Do you guys think we just met King Jangsu, the one who cursed the village?", explained Section Chief Kim. As he was known to be a Korean history mania, Section Chief Kim's reasoning somehow was accepted by the rest.

“Wow, we just saw a ghost”, quipped Employee Jung

“I bet he is the guardian spirit of this mountain”, said Employee Yoon solemnly

As they were in the way to back to Seoul, the staff could not speaking anymore after experienced such supernatural events in the mountain. They all agreed to keep their experience a secret and not openly shared to their fellow employees in the company.