CHAPTER I

The Salarymen

The clock showed the time is 8:50 AM already, but there is Manager Yoo sat alone in the meeting room, wondering about his employees who having a habit of being late to the workplace.

"I can not understand this department. I have been assigned here for 12 years, yet their habit never changes? I wonder why they are never get fired to this indiscipline attitude?"

Yoo Jae-suk. 45 years old. Manager of Sales Department 3 for about 12 years. He is a dilligent and very strict person whose unfortunately working with very laid-back subordinates around him. His team is one of the most profitable departments in the company for about 10 years and remaining to be so. Yet, indisciplinary actions by Manager Yoo's subordinates led to several member changes lately. Both worried and annoyed, Manager Yoo seems can hold his anger for any longer.

While Manager Yoo waited alone in the meeting room, Associate Manager Park rushed hurriedly along the corridor, anticipating his boss's nagging for all days around.

Park Myung-soo. 47 years old. Associate Manager of Sales Department 3 for about 11 years. Associate Manager Park is a foul-mouthed and bad-tempered person and never thinking twice to scold or curse his subordinates. However, he is a loyal right-hand man of Manager Yoo despite being the oldest in the team. He entered the company later than Manager Yoo, making him got promoted late too to his current position.

"Oh, Mr. Yoo is here already", Associate Manager Park whispered to himself when he peeking to the meeting room.

Aware that Associate Manager Park arrived already, Manager Yoo scolded him immediately, "Mr. Park, can you this is almost 9 AM?!"

"I am sorry, Sir. I was got stuck in the traffic this morning"

"But I thought you do not have a car, do you?"

"I said 'I was got stuck in the traffic', not my car. The sign changed into red when I crossed the road and I almost got hit by a car in the middle of intersection"

Manager Yoo can only sighed when he heard the Associate Manager's stubborn excuse. While Associate Manager Park is his subordinate, Manager Yoo can not scolding him further as the Associate Manager is two-year older than himself.

"That's okay, Mr. Park. I will let it slide for now. But, if you getting late to the office again..."

"I am really sorry, Sir", Associate Manager Park immediately apologized while bowing in perfect angle to Manager Yoo.

"Mr. Park, please do not do that. Just sit down and prepare the meeting report".

Meanwhile, two persons approached the meeting room hurriedly. They were Deputy Ha and Employee Yang who arrived to the office almost in the same time.

Ha Dong-hoon. 38 years old. Deputy Section Chief of Sales Department 3. He is a free-spirited person with a bit of childish attitude. His father is a former director of one big enterprise and he entered the company through connections. However, he is very loyal to Manager Yoo and always flatters his boss, much to dismay of Associate Manager Park who views Deputy Ha as his rival. A regular employee for 10 years, he was promoted as Deputy last year, replaced former Deputy Jung Hyung-don who left the company for health reasons.

"Good morning, Mr. Ha", said Employee Yang brightly

"Oh, good morning, Mr. Yang. Did we get late already?"

"I think so. But, I bet there will be one person who will be more late than us"

"I think I know whose that very person. Well, Mr. Yang..."

"What?"

"Please never says 'I bet' again. Gambling is a bad habit"

"I will be more careful from now on"

Yang Se-hyung. 32 years old. New regular employee in Sales Department 3. He was transferred from Communications Department 2 with Manager Yoo's request to fill the missing positions in Sales Department 3. Not so productive during his time in the former department, Employee Yang shows his potentials for many time in his current team, making him a new favorite of Manager Yoo.

"Good morning, Sir", Deputy Ha greeted his superiors when he and Employee Yang enters the meeting room in 8:59 AM.

"Oh, Deputy Ha, Employee Yang, you guys almost come late. Just sit down quickly", said Manager Yoo

One minute later, Intern Hwang arrives to their meeting room at 9 AM sharp

"I am sorry, Sir, I am sorry", Intern Hwang quickly apologize to his superiors.

Hwang Kwang-hee. 29 years old. Intern employee in Sales Department 3 since 2015. He was recruited and placed in the Sales Department 3 after the department lost one intern, Gil Sang-joon, and one regular employee, Noh Hong-chul for their indisciplinary actions. Intern Hwang

"That is okay, Intern Hwang. Just prepare the cups of coffee for us", ordered Associate Manager Park to Intern Hwang

"Yes, sir!", Intern Hwang obeyed immediately

"Mr. Park, do not order him like that. He is not working here for making coffee!", scolded Manager Yoo to Associate Manager Park

"I deeply apologize, Sir", Associate Manager Park immediately bowed again in perfect 90 degree to Manager Yoo.

"Oh, come on, Mr. Park, why do you keep bowing to me? You are older than me"

It is 9:10 AM already, yet there is one person still not coming to the meeting room.

"Where is Mr. Jung? We are already late for 10 minutes!", said Manager Yoo angrily. All of the staff members become quiet and the atmosphere is solemn.

"Mr. Ha, can you call this guy here?!", scolded Associate Manager Park to Deputy Ha

"Yes, sir. I will call him immediately"

Just before Deputy Ha take the phone off from his pocket, Section Chief Jung enters the room with heavy breathing.

"Mr. Jung, what time it is?", asked Manager Yoo who trying to contain his anger.

"I am sorry, I was having oversleep, Sir", said Section Chief Jung apologetic to his boss. "Is the meeting already started?", he asked tactlessly to Deputy Ha.

Jung Jun-ha. 46 years old. Section Chief of Sales Department 3. He is a tactless person and looked like a bit absentminded. His big appetite always making him having long lunch time compared with the rest. He entered the company in the same time with Associate Manager Park. He got promoted so late for his tactless behaviors toward the superiors and incompetent works. However, he is very smart and in charge of the team's financial matters. He worked in Financial Department 1 before assigned to his current department.

Associate Manager Park already boiled in anger and quickly exploded when he heard such question. "How can we start if you did not even here?!"

"That is right, Mr. Park. Just give him stern words", Manager Yoo tried to support Associate Manager Park.

"I asking you now, 'what time is it now', you imbecile?!!!!", Associate Manager scolded him hard. "@#$%&!", he even cursed to the tactless Section Chief.

Surprised Manager Yoo tried to calm him down. "Mr. Park, I told to you to scold him, not curse him."

"I humbly apologize, Sir", Associate Manager Park immediately bows again in perfect 90 degree to Manager Yoo.

"That old bootlicker", Section Chief Jung muttered under his breath toward Associate Manager Park

"What?!", Associate Manager Park overheard what Section Chief Jung said. "You a little piece of..."

"Oh, come on, Mr. Park. Why do you keep cursing Mr. Jung?", Manager Yoo tried to keep them calming down.

"Look at his bald head, how can he have very few hairs in forehead", Section Chief Jung attacked him personally. Associate Manager Park could not attacking him as Manager Yoo keep restraining him from to do so.

"Mr. Jung, please calm down. We need to start our meeting now. Mr. Park, it is a warning. Do not cursing your subordinates like that again. Now, prepare the meeting report".

"Okay, sir. Intern Hwang, please handle me the report that I asked to you yesterday"

"Oh, here your paper, sir", Intern Hwang handled the document to Associate Manager Park.

"I asked you to prepare it before. Why did you made Intern Hwang doing such job?", Manager Yoo scolded Associate Manager Park.

"Then why we recruited an intern for if we can not make him to do such job, sir?"

Manager Yoo tried to hold his anger, but he did not want the situation getting worse. "Alright then, pass me the report, Mr. Park".

"Here it is, sir. I really worked hard to prepare it". Manager Yoo could only sighing when he heard what Associate Manager Park had said.

Manager Yoo read the report cautiously before he broke a news his staff. "Guys, congratulations"

"For what, Sir?", asked Deputy Ha.

"Our department received the praise again from the higher-ups for achieved the sales target of 2016!"

"Hurrah!", all of the staff members shouted in joys.

"That is all because of you, sir", Deputy Ha flattered his superior immediately

"We can not make it without you", Employee Yang butted in

"Ah, that is nothing, guys. Please do not do that. That is making me uncomfortable", said Manager Yoo with a bit embarrased, "However, last year too our company had selects me too as one of the employees of the year"

"Hurrah for Mr. Yoo!", shouted Employee Yang while throwing the paper to the air. Associate Manager Park on other hand danced randomnly with Intern Kwang.

As the other employees celebrated noisily, Section Chief Jung could only sighing while watching his computer monitor.

"Calm down, guys. Do not forget to that our Section Chief is also received the top excellence award last year from the higher up", said Manager Yoo trying to calm down his subordinates

Noticing Section Chief Jung whose a little bit down, Deputy Ha could not help but asking him, "Why are you looked sad. You just received an award from the higher-ups"

"I know. But I was nominated as an employee of the year, too", said Section Chief Jung in complain

"Do not worry, Sir. Maybe this year you will get it. I am sure for it", Employee Yang assured him

"Yeah. But, what on earth do I have to do again to be an employee of the year? You guys know that I did so many projects for 2016..."

"We did, not only you!", Associate Manager Park immediately cut Section Chief Jung's speech

"I was talking", Section Chief Jung mumbled in protest

"So what?!", Associate Manager Park shouted at him

"I understand you, Mr. Jung. We had been going to the United States and Russia last year. Also, we successfully signed the contracts with the movie and webtoon production companies. I agree that we had doing so many things in 2016", Manager Yoo tried to defend Section Chief Jung

"That is right. I was also able to get the contract from a satellite television company..."

"You did it with me, Sir", Deputy Ha interrupted him

"But, I also secured a business contract from the buyers in Thailand..."

"But, I was the team leader for that project", Manager Yoo interrupted him too

"But, I went to Canada for the environmental survey in North Pole too..."

"You went with me!", Associate Manager Park scolded him

Section Chief Jung became a bit flustered after being interrupted by his colleagues. "Then what you did in 2016?", Employee Yang gave him the last blowing remark

"I do not know either...", Section Chief Jung could only sighing in despair

"That is why I prepared a document of our projects for 2017. That is what the higher-ups seeks from us for a long time", Manager Yoo showed a bundle of paper and handled it to the staff

While the other employees read the documents in silence, Section Chief Jung's face became paler and looked more worried.

"I hope we can have Mr. Jung as the team leader for all of the projects", said Manager Yoo to the staff

"This company really want to kill me. For a contract with a movie production company in the States or aquatic environmental survey in the Han River, I can handle it. But, why I should going to Easter Island or Anuta Island in the middle of Pacific Ocean?", Section Chief Jung grumbled in protest

"Every buyers are precious, Sir", quipped Employee Yang

"Anuta Island is beautiful. I watched it on TV. If you do not want to go to there, then I volunteer myself for that project", said Associate Manager Park suddenly

Associate Manager Park's sudden suggestion shocked the staff. "You want to go there?", responded Manager Yoo in surprise

"I want the top excellence award too for 2017"

"I am glad you still have an ambition, Mr. Park", Deputy Ha remarked

"I can understand about Anuta Island. But, look at here. This paper said I must secure the contract with a jungle survival company too"

"Then you should live the jungle like Mr. Kim Byung-man, the manager of our branch in Southeast Asia", said Deputy Ha with a not-so-assuring remark

"By the way, this paper also said that you should going to Africa again. Can you do it, Sir", asked Intern Hwang

Section Chief Jung refused to answer and just looked so annoyed with many projects that had waiting for him this year. "I guess I must work hard for 2017"

"Do not worry, Mr. Jung. We will help you to be the employee of the year in every projects you have. Just trust us", Manager Yoo assured him

"I will help you, Sir. Our team leader, Jung Jun-ha!", Deputy Ha cheered him

"Me too!", Employee Yang joined Deputy Him in cheering Section Chief Jung

"But it will be funny if then the employee of the year is Manager Yoo again", Associate Manager Park suddenly attacked him

"Do not say such thing, Mr. Park!", scolded Manager Yoo. "Just trust us, Mr. Jung. We will help you for this year"

"Thank you so much, Sir", Section Chief Jung thanked Manager Yoo.

"Please give our Section Chief an applause", said Manager Yoo to the staff.

Section Chief Jung politely bowed to his colleagues who applauded him for the projects that waiting for him this year. He felt assured with many supports from his superiors and subordinates who will helping him.

"To celebrate our success and to toast our Section Chief. I will treat you all for lunch. Mr. Jung, I will have you to decide our menu"

"How about ox soup?", proposed Section Chief Jung to which all employees jeered him

"We already had it yesterday!", protested Manager Yoo

"Then, how about barbeque?". All employees jeered again at his proposal.

"That is too much for lunch!", protested Deputy Ha

"How about raw sliced fish?"

"Eey~!", jeered all employees to Section Chief Jung

"Too expensive!!!", shouted Associate Manager Park

"Let's just giving up! Just skip the lunch, skip it!", shouted Deputy Ha

"Sir, if you want a lunch, what you will want to eat?", asked Employee Yang to Manager Yoo

"I rather have tonkatsu!"

"I want tonkatsu too, Sir!", flattered Associate Manager Park

"Me, too!"

"Me, too!"

"I will follow what you have, Sir!", Intern Hwang exclaimed cheerfully

"Okay, let's go with tonkatsu!", said Manager Yoo really pleased

"Let's go to lunch!", said Deputy Ha excited

"I do not understand them. What is the point of giving my opinion then?", mumbled Section Chief Jung as they all happily (except Section Chief) left to the tonkatsu restaurant