Chapter 2

Boy Next Door

Chanyeol groaned in annoyance at the sound of something ringing in his ears. With his eyes still firmly shut, he pulled up his duvet and covered his whole face. But it didn't do much to stop him from hearing the sound of something ringing which was then followed by knocking. His brain slowly began to function and he was sure there was someone knocking at the door. He then reached his right arm out and blindly felt the things around him before he finally located the sleeping body on the floor.

"Sehun-ah... open the door. Someone's... door." he mumbled sleepily, arm hitting the burrito sleeping on the floor by the couch he's using for the night. When the knocking and ringing continued, Chanyeol groaned again and smacked Sehun's sleeping form harder. "Sehun, there's someone at the door!"

"Leave me alone!" Sehun whined as he tried to squirm away from being hit by the elder. He managed to roll away, further from reach and dozed off again.

"Damn it," Chanyeol muttered as his eyes finally opened and he sat up on the couch, looking around at s. Sehun was now sleeping closer to the table, and Baekhyun was still very much asleep on the couch across from him. He craned his neck further and saw Kyungsoo sitting on the other couch at the other side of the room with his headphones on. No wonder he didn't wake up at the sound of someone at the door, he sighed and then frowned. "Wait, why is it suddenly quiet?" he wondered aloud and tried to listen in.

Chanyeol's eyes were still heavy from sleep and his head felt like it was going to burst. They had gone to bed quite late last night after settling into their new dorm, and since their beds have yet to arrive, they all ended up sleeping in the basement where his parents had set up a game room for them. When Chanyeol finally realized that there was no one knocking or ringing their door bell again, he growled in annoyance and laid back down, and just as he's about to close his eyes, he heard the faint sound of the front door closing.

Immediately, he was on guard and he sat up with wide eyes. What was that?, he wondered and stilled when he heard the faint sounds of footsteps upstairs. "It can't be manager hyung," he muttered and slowly got up from the couch, making sure not to make a sound. 

Quietly, Chanyeol tiptoed upstairs and looked around to find the source of the sound, and that's when he heard something from the kitchen. He looked around in search of something to use as a weapon, but found nothing. That's when he heard a woman's voice, and he closed his eyes in exasperation. How the hell did they find our new dorm so quickly?, he groaned in his head. And how the hell did they get inside!?

Carefully, Chanyeol made his way to the kitchen and saw a figure standing by the kitchen counter, staring at the plates Kyungsoo had left there. Is she going to steal our plates now?, he wondered. He caught sight of something on the dining table then and saw an opened container with rice cakes, making him tilt his head in confusion. What is going on here?

A fan found our house and now she's leaving us rice cakes?

That's when Chanyeol decided to walk out from his hiding place and made his way to the oblivious woman. He stood right behind her and lowered his head a little, and that's when the girl turned and their eyes met. Her eyes widened and she jumped back with a yelp, and Chanyeol was quick to jump back as well before the plate smashed onto the floor. He frowned at it then lifted his gaze to the girl in front of him, and at the sight of her, Chanyeol froze.

 

 

***

 

 

Ga Young took in the man standing in front of her. He's tall – like very tall – and he has big eyes, big ears and thick lips. Oh, and his hair was black and messy. He looked oddly familiar to her but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it just yet, and she didn’t get to think of it nor wonder why the guy was staring at her like he’s seen a ghost, when the sound of footsteps running towards them reached her ears and she turned to see three guys entering the kitchen, eyes wide and panicky.

That wasn’t the only thing she’s noticed about them. One of the guys had big eyes (and since he’s surprised it looks bigger) and heart-shaped lips, while the other one who’s about his height had brown hair and puppy eyes. As for the taller one, he had black hair and thin lips, and he had really fair skin. He looked like a model with his height and lean body, and Ga Young definitely noticed the sharp chiselled jaw as well.

Why do these guys look so familiar?, she wondered.

“What happened?!” the tall guy with the sharp jaw yelled before his eyes widened at the sight of her. “Wh–Who are you? How did you find this place?!”

“And to think we just moved in,” puppy eyes muttered in annoyance.

“Excuse me, but how did you find our new dorm?” the big eyed guy asked, looking calm although he had bed hair and obviously just woke up due to the noise she made. “Are you the only one here? Did any other fans come with you?”

“H–Huh?” Did he say fans?

“Great, she’s speechless.” the tall guy groaned and threw his arms up in the air in annoyance. Ga Young thought he looked adorable with the frown and messy hair. Like a baby. “We have to call manager hyung now. But seriously, how do they get such information? Did someone leak anything online?” he asked, giving the other two guys accusing looks.

“I didn’t do anything,” Puppy Eyes said, offended. “Only the members know we’ve moved here.”

“Don’t look at me, Sehun. I don’t even have SNS,” the other deadpanned.

It’s the deadpanned look on the man’s face that made Ga Young realized something, and she let out a gasp which made all three of the guys turn to her. “You’re…” she drawled out as her gaze fall on the tall guy. She recalled the name Big Eyes had used to address him and frowned. “You’re Sehun… and you’re Do Kyungsoo, right?”

It was the guys’ turn to look at her in surprise. “Wait, you mean you don’t recognize us?”

“…uh, I know Kyungsoo.” Ga Young said as she glanced at him. “You are the guy who acted in that drama with Gong Hyo Jin and Jo In Sung, right?”

Kyungsoo blinked stupidly at her, glanced at s and nodded his head slowly. “I am.”

“Wait, hold up. Are you saying that you’re not a fan?” Puppy Eyes asked in bewilderment. Ga Young frowned at him. “Do you even know who we are?”

She pursed her lips into a thin line and nodded. “Since Do Kyungsoo is here, and this guy’s Oh Sehun, then I’m guessing you guys are EXO?”

Guessing?

“You really don’t know us?”

“Guys, quiet down.” Kyungsoo exclaimed before turning to Ga Young. “What’s your name?” he asked her kindly.

“Moon Ga Young,” she replied, missing the weird look on Chanyeol’s face who’s still standing behind her in shock.

“How did you know we’re here?”

“I live next door,” she revealed. “And if you’re wondering how I got in, I have the key to this house. My mom has been given the task to watch over this house while the owner’s not around, and I was also the one who cleaned this house yesterday.”

“…oh,” Baekhyun said, if that could even be counted as a word. “Uh… and you’re not a fan, are you?”

Ga Young smiled apologetically at that. “I’m more of a Suju fan. Sorry.”

“Do you at least know our names? I mean, you recognized Kyungsoo and Sehun, so do you know mine or that guy behind you?”

Ga Young glanced at the tall man behind her, the one whom she surprised and vice versa, and frowned a little. “He’s Chanyeol, right? The guy from that show… Law of the Jungle.”

Chanyeol snapped out of his stupor at that and raised a brow. “That’s me.”

“And you,” Ga Young said as she turned to Baekhyun. “You’re Baekhyun. You’re friends with Heechul oppa.”

Sehun snorted at that. “Wow, she recognized you not through your work, but because you’re friends with Heechul hyung. Nice.”

“And I recognized you because my roommate back in college was crazy about you. She had pictures of you posted on the wall on her side of the room,” she refuted, feeling satisfied as his cocky expression fell and was replaced by one of disbelief. “Yeah, I wouldn’t have known you if it weren’t for her.”

“Burn,” Baekhyun coughed from behind his palm.

“Regardless, you still walked into our house uninvited,” Chanyeol said, making her turn to him again. He was standing with his arms crossed now, looking unimpressed.

Ga Young actually looked apologetic at that. “Sorry, but when no one answered the door, I thought you guys have yet to arrive. I planned to leave the rice cakes over there so you could see it when you guys walk in.”

“Rice cakes?” Sehun parroted and immediately dashed towards the container. “Oh my god, it’s rice cakes!”

Kyungsoo sighed as Baekhyun ran to join the younger before they both began stuffing their faces with the food. Ga Young watched in bewilderment before turning to her neighbours.

“…okay, I’ll just go now.”

“Wait.” Ga Young stopped and turned to him. “Wouldn’t you like to stay with us for breakfast?”

“You didn’t clean the mess you made too,” Chanyeol added, pointing towards the broken plate on the floor.

Shoot.

 

 

***

 

 

“This is actually refreshing,” Baekhyun said as he sat next to Chanyeol on the couch. They both stared at the trio sitting at the dining table – Sehun, Ga Young and Kyungsoo – who were enjoying the breakfast Kyungsoo had prepared. “It’s not every day we get to meet someone who won’t scream at our ears, professing their indefinite love to us.”

“Hmm…” was all Chanyeol said. He’s still staring at them, Ga Young to be more precise, with his arms crossed.

“Hey, she said she’s been living next door for years now. Don’t you know her?” Baekhyun asked as he turned to his best friend. “It means that she was your neighbour while you were still living here with your grandfather.”

“I know her,” the other admitted before turning his head to his friend. “But she doesn’t remember me.”

“Then why don’t you tell her?”

“Why should I?”

“So you guys weren’t friends back then, huh?”

Chanyeol smirked. “You can say that.”

 

 

***

 

 

Kyungsoo offered to walk Ga Young to the door when she said she wanted to leave, and the rest (minus Chanyeol) waved her good bye, too full to get up. He watched as the girl quietly put on her jacket, acting nonchalant to his presence unlike the other girls he’s met. It seriously was a refreshing difference, meeting a neighbour who were well aware of their fame and popularity, and yet did not claim herself as a fan.

He’s just too used to almost every female in Asia throwing themselves at him and telling him how much of a big fan they are.

“Thanks for the rice cakes,” Kyungsoo told her once she’s done putting on her shoes. “And sorry for accusing you earlier.”

“It’s fine,” Ga Young assured. “I shouldn’t have used the spare key so recklessly like that. I assure you that that’s the last time.”

Kyungsoo smiled. “So, you were the one who cleaned the place before we arrived?” She nodded. “Thank you. You cleaned really well. We were all so impressed. We didn’t even see a speck of dust in the house, thanks to you.”

“It’s nothing. I happened to be very good at cleaning, and since I’m currently unemployed, my mom made me clean the house for you. So you should thank her for forcing me,” she said jokingly.

He chuckled. “I’ll keep that in mind. And why aren’t you employed? If you don’t mind me asking, that is.”

“It’s fine. I finished studying about a month ago, and now I’m just helping my parents with their business. We do have a family business, and I will work with them, but right now I just want to relax a bit. I’ve been studying too much and hardly got the time for myself.”

“I see… well, that’s something we don’t have,” Kyungsoo muttered and Ga Young immediately felt sorry for him. “Not that it’s a bad thing. I mean, we like what we do and it’s not like we’re working all the time. We do get to have fun too, so it’s fine.”

Ga Young nodded at that, not wanting to say anything more. She doesn’t these guys very well but knowing how busy their lives are, she knew how limited their freedoms were.

“Ah, sorry. I’m keeping you here longer when you wanted to leave,” Kyungsoo suddenly apologized, smiling bashfully at her.

“It’s fine, I don’t mind. Thanks for breakfast, Kyungsoo-sshi.”

Kyungsoo smiled and watched as Ga Young walked out the door, crossed the courtyard and went over to her own house next door. He watched her figure disappear behind her own front door before stepping back into the house, smiling to himself.

 

 

***

 

 

The rest of the day was filled with the four EXO members setting up their new home. Their managers had come to assist them, dressed casually and driving their own cars as not to attract too much attention from the neighbours. Sehun was more than happy when the beds arrived, and the members had a hard time getting him to help them with the other things once his bed was set.

It was some time after sunset when most of the furnitures were set and most of their things were unboxed, and Chanyeol immediately locked himself into his room. He had chosen to settle back into his old room. Everything was the same, except the corner where there used to be shelves of toys were replaced by instruments.

Chanyeol sat at the edge of the desk where he’s placed a keyboard and stared at nothingness. Moving back into the house where he had grown up, Chanyeol felt like there was a missing piece somewhere. He missed listening to his grandfather’s old records which would echo around the house while the old man would sit on his armchair, reading books or newspapers.

He sighed, shaking his head as to stop himself from dwelling into the past and absentmindedly throwing his gaze outside the window. That’s when he caught a glimpse of something from the window across from his, and Chanyeol couldn’t stop the amused smile from stretching across his face.

“What in the world?”

It was Ga Young, and she was dancing around in her room. And when he said dancing, he meant dancing. She was moving around the room lightly like a professional dancer, full of beauty and grace. Chanyeol never knew that she was a dancer although he did recall a blurry memory of seeing her trying to dance in her room.

Chanyeol also remembered laughing at her. Then it hit him.

Did she learned to dance because I made fun of her?

He continued to watch as she gracefully moved around the room. The choreography seemed familiar to him, and Chanyeol chuckled in amusement when he realized that she was dancing to one of SNSD’s choreography. He was amazed at the sight, to be honest. She was doing rather well, looking very much like one of the Girls Generation’s member with every step she took.

Chanyeol jumped when someone barged into his room, and he glowered at the sight of Sehun there. “What are you doing, hyung?” the youngest of them all asked.

“Nothing,” he replied. “Just thinking. What are you doing here?”

“Kyungsoo hyung made dinner.”

“And the managers?”

“They’ve left. Oh, and Baekhyun hyung wants to karaoke later.”

Chanyeol sighed.

 

 

 

 


i just feel like leaving this here ^^