Chapter 1

Boy Next Door

When Ga Young woke up this morning, she didn't expect for her mother to come rushing into her room with a broom and loud yell of "Yah, wake up!! The sun has been up for ages!" (which was definitely an exaggeration because the sky was still dark when she looked out) and told her to clean the empty house right next to theirs. That seriously caught her by surprise.

The house has been empty for almost ten years now. The previous owner was an old grandfather who moved to the city to live with his son, and Ga Young heard that the old man had passed a year after that. But the house was never put on sale as the Park's still owned it and even remodelled it not long ago. She was still a college student by then, so she was really surprised to see the remodelled house when she officially came back.

"Why do I have to do it, though?" she questioned her mother who handed her the key to the house. "And why do you have the key?"

"The Parks made me their housekeeper of some sort, duh." her mother, Mrs Moon, replied with a roll of her eyes. "Now go! Some people will be moving in by tomorrow, and the house needs to be cleaned by today."

"Wait, what? Who's moving in? Why are they moving in?"

"Why does it matter to you? Is that your house!?" her mother asked, hands on her hip while her gaze seemed to challenge Ga Young into talking back to her.

Ga Young held her tongue at that. Of course it's not her house, nor does she have any authority to stop anybody from moving into that place. It's just that she's made lots of memories in that house with the previous owner's grandson who was her childhood friend. Whenever Ga Young missed him, she would wander into the empty house next door and imagined herself as a child again, playing hide and seek in the big house.

With heavy steps, Ga Young padded her way over to the familiar house next door and unlocked the front door. She made sure to wear house slippers to keep her socks clean against the dusty floor, and her footsteps echoed throughout the whole house. The house is bigger now and despite the renovated interior, Ga Young was still able to picture the old look inside the place and smiled bitterly to herself.

"We used to have so much fun here," she muttered to herself before pulling the sleeves of her shirt back and looked around in determination. "Right, let's get things started."

 

 

***

 

 

Seven hours later, Ga Young lay exhausted on one of the couches in the living room. She had scrubbed, cleaned, swept and mopped the place non-stop, from top to bottom too. She was surprised that she was able to do so much work by herself, but her bones ached now and she just wanted to sleep her exhaustion off. She looked around the room and took a whiff of the cleaner air before smiling proudly to herself.

"Mission completed."

It took her another half an hour before she was able to get up and leave the house, and when she closed the front door behind her, Ga Young realized that she won't be able to come her as often as she'd like anymore. The thought dampened her mood and brought a heavy feeling to her chest, and she gave the house another long sentimental glance before dragging her feet back home.

When she walked in, her mother and father had just finished preparing a late lunch, and they both turned to her when they saw her coming in.

"Oh, did you finish cleaning the house?" her mother asked as she sat at the table.

"Uh-huh," she replied or more like mumbled in reply. 

Her mother frowned at the grey look on her daughter's face. "What's wrong?" she asked, sitting at the end of the table, frowning in concern. "Did something happen?"

"Nothing," Ga Young denied, shaking her head. "I just... I'm just tired, that's all."

Mrs Moon obviously did not believe in her lie. "Is it because people are moving in to Chan's grandfather's house?" she asked softly, noticing the obvious sadness on her daughter's face at the mention of her childhood friend. When Ga Young didn't reply, she took her daughter's hand and held it gently. "Ga Young, even if someone else moves into that house, it doesn't mean the memories you made there with Chan will disappear. It will always be with you."

"I know that, mom. It's just... I haven't seen Chan for sixteen years now, and while I was cleaning the house, I got reminded of the times I had with him and I suddenly missed him so much."

"Oh, honey..."

Ga Young sighed. "I'm okay, mom. I'm just going to go upstairs and get myself cleaned. Will Kwang Soo be back soon?"

"Very soon," Mrs Moon replied as Ga Young got up from the chair.

"Okay."

Once Ga Young's figure disappeared up the steps, her father walked out of the kitchen with a cloth in hand and raised a brow at his wife. "You're not going to tell her?" he asked.

Mrs Moon chuckled. "Nope. I want to watch all this unfold." Her husband snorted at that. "What? Plus, I was told not to anyway."

Mr Moon sighed. "What did my daughter ever do to deserve a mother like you?"

 

 

***

 

 

Ga Young fell asleep after spending the whole morning cleaning, and when she woke up again, she found her younger brother sitting in front of the TV watching The Lord of the Rings while eating popcorn. She settled beside him on the couch and he wordlessly held out the popcorn bowl to her at which she took a handful and popped them one by one into . The two siblings sat in silence for the next ten minutes, immersed in the scene where Saruman was creating his Urukhai armies, before Ga Young realized that the house was too quiet.

"Where're mom and dad?" she asked.

Kwang Soo shrugged. "Not sure."

"Well, how long have they been gone?"

"About two hours, maybe." Kwang Soo then turned to her. "Mom told me we're going to have new neighbours."

She sighed. "Yup. I cleaned up the whole house by myself this morning. Did mom tell you who our new neighbours are?"

"No. She said we'll have to find out once they've arrived."

"Ever so helpful," Ga Young muttered as she focused back to the screen and let out a gasp. "Wow, Aragorn looks so hot."

"I thought you liked Legolas."

"Legolas is cute, but he's not hot. Did you realize that he never seemed to run out of arrows but when the time is desperate for him, say when he has to save someone, and only then the arrow seems to magically disappear?"

Kwang Soo snorted at his sister. "Of course that's the case. When that happens, he gets to show the side of him fighting with his fist or a sword."

"You're totally team Legolas."

"I'm not fond of his ears though."

"It's cute," she shrugged. It reminds me of someone else too, she thought. "Anyway, I'm hungry." she said as she got up the couch.

"If you're making ramen, I'd like some too!"

"Cook it yourself!"

 

 

***

 

 

It was close to ten o'clock in the night when a black van appeared in the neighbourhood, cruising quietly through the roads, turn after turn, with its headlights off. Inside the vehicle, four men dressed in all black sat quietly in the back seat while their eyes were fixed outside, looking at the houses that slowly began to appear in sight. After the umpteenth house and another turn, one of the guys sighed and turned to the man sitting on his right.

"I thought we've arrived?" he asked, sounding impatient.

"We have," countered a smaller guy sitting behind him.

"Then why aren't we stopping yet?"

"Because we haven't reached the house. Duh." another smaller guy replied with a roll of his eyes. "Be patient, will you?"

The first guy sighed. "But I need to pee! And why are we moving so slow?"

The fourth guy who had been keeping his mouth shut throughout the whole ride finally broke his silence by turning to glare at the impatient man. "Shut up, we're here. Everyone, masks on."

In unison, the other three immediately covered the bottom half of their faces with a mask. They looked oddly suspicious with the masks, the all-black attires and caps they're using to hide their eyes and hair. If anyone were to see them, they'd think that they were up to no good. The car had stopped at the end of the street, much to the annoyance of the first guy, and he let out a sigh when the back doors slid open and they immediately piled out.

"Try not to make too much noise," the fourth and tallest guy among them reminded his three companion. They nod at him. "Alright, it's this way. It's not far from here, so we'll be there soon."

"Why did we stop here anyway?" asked one of the smaller ones, as his big round eyes looked around them out of habit.

"The street lights are brighter here, and the houses across from our new place are brightly lit too. We don't want to attract their attentions."

"Oh."

It didn't take long before they arrived at their new place, and three jaws dropped at the sight of the house before them. Despite their mouths being hidden behind their masks, the tallest of them could tell that his companions were all impressed at the sight of his old but remodelled house. He smirked and quickly made his way into the house while dragging his suitcase behind him, and the other three quickly followed him inside. Once the front door closed behind them and the lights were on, they looked around in awe and took off their masks.

"Wow, Yeol. This place is huge," Baekhyun said as he admired their new dorm. "You said this was your grandfather's place, right?"

Chanyeol nodded, looking around the place with pride. "This was my home, guys. And now, it's ours."

"Yes!!" the youngest of them cheered before turning to him with a blank look. "Now show me the toilet. My bladder's about to burst."

 

 

***

 

 

Kwang Soo happened to be taking out the trash when the lights in the empty house next door lit up, and he dropped the plastic bag in his hand in surprise before blinking his eyes helplessly at the direction of the house. He frowned, taking in the shadows moving past the curtains before dashing back into his own. His parents were already in their room so he ran to his sister's room and threw it open.

Ga Young screamed.

Kwang Soo ducked just before a comb could smack him on the face, and he stared at the object in surprise before turning to his sister. Ga Young was standing in the middle of the room with only a towel covering her body, and Kwang Soo (manly) shrieked in horror before backing out and slamming the door behind him. He shook his head when he realized what just happened and groaned to himself.

"Noona's going to kill me," he muttered before running off to hide in his own room, not wanting to face Ga Young's wrath.

 

 

***

 

 

"Can you stop glaring at me? I said I was sorry."

Ga Young rolled her eyes at her brother who wore an annoyed expression on his face. The man was sitting right across from her at the dining table during breakfast and she had been glaring at him the whole time, much to his discomfort. Kwang Soo knew he was wrong to just barge into his sister's room without knocking, and he's definitely paid the price, but Ga Young was still unforgiving as she's still angry with him.

"Ga Young, knock it off. Your brother apologized already," their dad said as he came to sit with them. 

"He wouldn't have to apologize if he actually listened now, would he?" she retorted but finally turned away from her brother to eat her cereals.

Mr Moon sighed. "Seriously you two, grow up."

"I've been saying that for ages, hubby, but they never listen." Mrs Moon chimed in as she sat next to her son. "Anyway, your dad and I are going to be home late tonight."

"Why?" Kwang Soo asked.

"We have a meeting, and it's going to take a while." their father replied. 

"If it's too late to drive back, just stay at a hotel somewhere," Ga Young advised them. "I don't want you guys driving at such late hour."

Mr Moon chuckled fondly at his daughter and playfully ruffled her hair. "Yes, ma'am."

"By the way, I made some rice cakes for our new neighbours," Mrs Moon said as she ate her bread. "Ga Young-ah, can you be a darling and bring it over to them later?"

"Talking about neighbours, I think they've moved in already," Kwang Soo suddenly announced. His family gave him weird looks at that. "I'm serious. I was taking out the trash last night when the lights were switched on in the house. I saw shadows moving about the house too."

"Really?"

"Yup. That's what I wanted to tell you last night, noona. But then..." Kwang Soo drawled out his words and gave his sister a sheepish smile, making her roll her eyes again.

"Well, whatever it is, make sure you take it to them, alright?" Ga Young sighed but nodded anyway. "Good. Make sure to give the neighbours a good impression of yourself. Don't let them think you're weird, or else they'll think we're all weird."

"Mom, we are weird." Ga Young pointed out.

"Says who?"

"Says me. We're never normal, mom."

"Agreed," her father said with a chuckle. "We're never normal because we're unique. And since you've admitted to being unique as well, I'm sure you're related to me, Ga Young-ah. No kid of mine should be normal."

She snorted at that. "Only by blood, my dearest father."

"Charming," Mr Moon exclaimed with a British accent, causing his wife and daughter to laugh.

"I'm normal though," Kwang Soo then said with a straight face.

"You're the weirdest of us all, kiddo." 

"Dad!" 

Mr Moon shrugged. "I'm just stating the facts."

Ga Young snorted so hard she almost spilled her coffee.

 

 

***

 

 

 

It was only later when her parents had left for work and Kwang Soo for college did Ga Young approached the house next door. She was hesitant at first because she didn't want to know who is currently living in the house where she's made tons of her childhood memories, but her mother would've killed her if she didn't do what she was told to. With a sigh, she dragged her feet to the house next door and rang the bell.

No one answered.

After the fourth or fifth ring, there was still nobody at the door. Ga Young sighed in annoyance, stomping her feet in exasperation before groaning out loud. She tried to peek through the windows and even called out for the neighbours, but still no one opened the door for her. In fact, the house was too quiet and Ga Young wondered if the neighbours had really moved in already.

"But Kwang Soo said they did," she mumbled to herself as she tried to take another peek. Still nothing. "Aish, this kid. Did he imagine things?"

Looking down at the huge container in her hands, Ga Young wondered if she should just use the spare key and leave the rice cake inside for the neighbours. I bet they'd be surprised to see this rice cake when they walk in, she thought and decided to just unlock the door herself. Like yesterday, she slipped her feet into the house slippers, missing the sight of a pair of shoes half hidden underneath the shoe rack, and walked further into the house. She immediately went to the kitchen and placed the container on top of the table.

"They should be able to see it if I leave this here, right?" she wondered to herself with a frown. "Should I open it? But then it'll get cold." She looked around again and caught sight of glass plates on top of the kitchen counter. "Or, I could decorate them nicely on the plate so they could see it."

Ga Young walked over to the counter top, blinking at the different sizes of plates arranged before her. Frowning, she carefully chose which plate to use so she could prettily arrange the rice cakes her mom had made for their new neighbour, not wanting the plate to be too big thus leaving too much space on the surface. She finally chose a middle sized plate and whirled around to head back to the rice cakes on the table, only she was met with a face right in front of hers.

She jumped back, and the sound of glass shattering echoed throughout the house.

 

 

 

 


thanks for reading! do leave comments ^^