Chapter 12

Only You

“What?!”

Yuna quickly shuffled from her seat across her best friend to go and cover the latter’s mouth. “Tone down your voice. Others might hear.”

Eunha removed Yuna’s hands from her face before staring straight at her with a bewildered look. “You’re joking, right? You’re messing with me. You can’t be serious. I mean, you’re making things up.”

“I’m not,” Yuna assured with a serious face. “I told you. Jungkook’s the one I’ve been exchanging notes with and he, too, is on the process of finding out his ‘friend’ behind the little exchange. Unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong path and even made the wrong move.”

“Wait. Wait a minute.” Eunha straightened her back as she sat upright in her seat, taking in what her best friend just told her. “When I said that I wanted you to not keep secrets from me, I wasn’t expecting something like this. This is crazy.”

“Tell me about it. I wasn’t expecting it either but it’s the truth so I might as well act properly on it.”

“You mean to say you’re planning on putting him off?”

“Yes. He has his eyes set on you. You’re second on his list.”

“And you plan to divert his suspicion away from me?”

“Bingo.”

Eunha nodded as she took in what the other was trying to say. “Okay. So how do you plan on doing that? Do you need my help?”

“Definitely. You’ll be a crucial part of the entire act. Just do what I say.”

“Roger that!”

 


“Are you sure it’s Eunha?”

“I’m positive. She’s the closest one there is when it comes to the personality behind the notes,” Jungkook explained before taking a sip from his drink.

“That’s because we’re best friends, idiot,” was what Yuna wanted to say but can’t. So, she decided to nod a bit as if she got what he was trying to say. “Okay but we still need evidence though. We can’t be sure if we don’t have proofs to back up our assumptions.”

“You’re right. We need to dig deeper,” Jungkook agreed. “Well, I’m amazed. I never knew you could be this good at things like this. I should just hire you as my private investigator in the future.”

“If only you knew…if only…”

Yuna hid a sigh before she faced Jungkook with a proud expression. “I know. I’m shocked at myself either. Anyway, here’s what I have in mind.”

 


“Is that all?”

Yuna waggled her head up and down as she excitedly told her best friend about her plan. It took her all night to come up with such an idea and given how brilliant it seems, she just couldn’t wait to see it in action.

“Are you sure it’s going to work?”

“Relax. I have everything sorted out. I literally spent four whole hours devising this scheme.  I already have every ups and downs anticipated perfectly.”

“Fine. I just have to be by the gate with the others at the specific time you allotted and I just have to follow the script you prepared, right?”

“Exactly. Just do everything I told you and let me handle the rest.”

“This better work out, Yuna.”

“Trust me as I trust myself. I mean, I’m the one who will be in bigger trouble if something doesn’t go according to plan yet look at me, I’m still pushing this through. Have faith on me a little here,” Yuna pleaded as she put on a brave face for her best friend to encourage her to go along and trust that all will go well.

“Let’s bet our lives on this one then.”

 


“So, you’re saying you don’t have History class this afternoon and it’s only during History time that you and Eunha would have the chance to enter the room?”

Yuna nodded.

“And if a note appears amidst such condition, then, it probably wouldn’t be her? Am I correct?”

She nodded once more. “But we can’t be sure yet. I’ll try and monitor where Eunha goes. That way, we can see if she really is the one behind the notes,” she added, acting earnest in accomplishing Jungkook’s favor when in fact, she’s the one completely turning him off track. It’s a good thing for her though that the lad doesn’t seem to notice that his enemy’s just right under his nose.

“I should thank the heavens this boy is such an idiot.”

“Yeah. You’re right. See me after class. We need to finish this as soon as possible. School’s almost ending,” Jungkook stated a matter-of-factly.

Yuna went silent for a moment as she thought of what to reply, bearing in mind that she should carefully choose her every word so as not to give herself away. Pondering, a sudden thought came to her mind.

“Hey.”

“Yeah?”

“What are you going to do then?”

“Huh?” Jungkook raised an eyebrow toward Yuna as if asking her to make her point clearer.

“What are you going to do once you finally find out who’s behind the notes?”

Jungkook’s mouth formed a small ‘o’ as he just realized that now, too. What was he going to do? Why was he even so keen on finding out the girl’s identity?

“I…I honestly don’t know either.”

Yuna stared at Jungkook, anticipating something more. She may be not interested in telling him the truth but there’s this part of her that wants to know why he’s even looking for her. And as hard as she may deny it, there’s this teensy-weensy part of her also that somehow wants to tell him everything she knows.

“It must be my honesty kicking in,” she thought.

“I guess…” Yuna snapped her attention back to the boy in front when he began to speak once again as she grew attentive to what he was going to say, her curiosity getting the best of her.

“Maybe it’s because she’s given me something different.”

“Different?” “In what way were my notes different?”

“You know…something that’s apart from my life here in university as the hottest and most handsome guy.”

Yuna chuckled at the statement while Jungkook gave a smile of his own. “Do you even know humility?”

“A little,” he replied, the smile forming into a grin. “Anyway, I think I want to know her because she’s been the reason why I can be me in another way. I mean, sure, I’ve always been true to myself when I’m around my hyungs but the me whenever I exchange notes with her was different. It’s like I’ve awakened this part of myself that I didn’t even know existed in the first place. It’s like I was able to express myself in a completely different way.”

Yuna put on a serious expression as she thoughtfully listened to his every word. “Is this even Jungkook?” she asked herself as she processed the fact that the once conceited boy she knew before could even have a soft spot. Heck, for all she knew, all he was good at was rejecting girls and thinking mighty of himself. Not ever did she consider the idea of a vulnerable Jungkook.

Jungkook broke the silence with a short laugh, waving off the tense atmosphere between them. “Don’t mind what I said. It was too cheesy. It’s not something I should be saying.”

“I like this part of you better,” she blurted without second thoughts.

“Huh?”

“You’re much pleasant when you show this side of yourself. Honestly speaking, it suits you.”

A hint of red adorned Jungkook’s face as he didn’t expect Yuna to say such things to him. Yes, he was used to compliments while growing up doing everything almost perfectly but never did he hear such a thing before. And if he had to admit it, he’d say he kind of liked what he heard. It was something new.

“It’s different.”

Jungkook flinched a little at the passing thought. Something in him felt a little odd but he’s quite not positive as to what it is.

“That’s weird,” he whispered, catching Yuna’s attention.

“You’re saying something?”

Jungkook shook his head to dismiss the idea before he stood up from sitting on the bench. “It’s nothing. We better go back soon. Lunch break is almost over.”

“Yeah,” Yuna coincided as she, too, stood up from her seat. “I’ll see you later then.”

 


“Do you remember everything I told you to do and say?”

“Absolutely.”

“Okay, then, let’s do this.”

Yuna and Eunha parted ways by the empty hallway of their school’s building as they both headed to their destinations as designated by Yuna’s plan.

“We can do this,” Yuna assured herself as she took hurried steps toward the place where Jungkook said they would meet. It was still fifteen minutes earlier than their agreed upon time of meet up but she needed the extra minutes to calm herself because after her short talk with the said boy during lunch, the guilt inside her somehow built up and it made her question her decisions.

“Think about the trust Eunha has for you though. You don’t want to disappoint her, right, Choi Yuna?”

“That’s right. This is more for Eunha and less for me. I shouldn’t let simple words sway me. I’m Choi Yuna and never am I indecisive.”

“I didn’t know you talk to yourself.”

Yuna leaped a little as an unexpected arm wrapped itself around her shoulders. Turning to look at the person, she was met with none other than the teasing face of Yugyeom.

“You scared me.”

“Your self-talk is scarier just so you know.”

Yuna narrowed her eyes toward Yugyeom as she swatted his arm away from her before creating a bit of proximity between them. “I was not talking to myself.”

“Oh yeah? But I heard you just now.”

“You heard?!”

“Got you!” Yugyeom aimed a finger gun toward Yuna partnered with a wink. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone about your bad habit of talking to yourself.”

Yuna glared before hitting him lightly on the arm. “Don’t mess with me.”

“Right. I wouldn’t want you to attack me like how you attacked that girl back at the cafeteria before. I mean, man, that was terrifying.”

Yuna intensified her glare at Yugyeom as a threat to not cross the line.

“Fine. I’ll stop,” he said, holding out both his hands in surrender. “Where are you going anyway?”

“I’m meeting up with Jungkook.”

“Wow! It’s about time you two finally got together!”

“We’re not dating, stupid. He’s just asking me a little favor.”

Yugyeom slid his hands into his pocket as he stared at the ceiling. “Is it about the mystery girl?”

“You know?”

Yugyeom shrugged and said, “He told me about it and let me tell you. He’s been too obsessed with finding out the girl’s identity lately. I bet he’ll even go to the extreme means just to search for her.”

Yuna gulped silently at what she heard, a bead of sweat forming on her temples. “This means I should also watch out for Yugyeom. Who else knows though?”

“Y-yeah. I can tell he’s passionate with his decision,” Yuna answered while staring off in the distant. She was afraid she’d appear guilty when she looks at Yugyeom for she was not expecting him to know about that notes. Unbeknownst to her, a smirk was forming at the corner of Yugyeom’s lips as he amusingly studied her tense reaction.

“I better go now. I still have to meet up with Jackson-hyung.”

“O-okay. I’ll be off too. Jungkook might get mad if I arrive late.”

“See you around then!”

A sigh escaped Yuna’s lips as she tried to calm herself down after the taut situation she just had. “It was a good thing I managed to control my composure.”

 


“I’m sorry I’m late. Something urgent came up during Music class,” Jungkook apologized while catching his breath after running all the way to their meet-up spot so as not to delay Yuna further.

“It’s okay. I didn’t wait long. I just got here a minute ago,” Yuna replied as she offered a seat to the panting Jungkook. “Take a seat.”

Jungkook nodded and grabbed the chair before plopping down on it with a soft thud while releasing his backpack from his shoulders. “Now, what’s your report? Did you get something so far?”

“Not yet. I was with Eunha all day except when we were together during lunch but at that whole time I was away, she was with Sowon-unnie and the others. The table could answer it all,” she stated while eyeing the lone desk positioned at the middle of the room.

“Exactly.”

“How did you even get the faculty to move the location for detention anyway?”

“Do you even have to ask?”

“Right, Mr. Jeon.”

Jungkook chuckled before he stood up, finally breathing normally. “Aren’t you anxious though?”

“Why should I?”

“If there won’t be any note in there then that means Eunha could be the one. It could mean she hid this from you all this time.”

“Honestly, it was the other way around,” Yuju wanted to say.

“Well, there’s only one way to find out.”

Both headed for the said table before stopping once already inches away from it. To say they were nervous would imply an understatement. Jungkook was itching to find out to the extent that he just couldn’t contain a smile from forming on his lips. Yuna, on the other hand, couldn’t help but get worried about how her plan would turn out. Both looked at each other at the same time before exchanging nods.

“You do it,” Yuna commanded.

“Okay.”

Jungkook slowly reached out a shaky finger toward the ever-familiar hole on the corner of the desk. This was the moment he has been waiting for because after all those nights of contemplating, his assumption regarding Eunha being the one behind the notes would finally be confirmed.

“What’s this?”

“Why? What’s wrong?” Yuna asked, scooting closer.

“There’s…something,” Jungkook stated as a small frown escaped his lips, disappointment evident on his face.

“What could that mean?” Yuna acted as if she, too, was expecting the opposite to happen, when in fact, she was the one who placed that note in its place not too long ago with Eunha during their free time that was supposed to be for their History class.

“Was I mistaken?” Jungkook asked with hopeful eyes at Yuna, begging her to say he was not wrong about his assumption.

“I’m sorry.”

“I guess so,” she said as she bowed her head, ashamed not because they ‘supposedly’ were incorrect but because it somehow pained her a little to go on with her lie. “I’m sorry. I really am but it’s what’s right for Eunha and me.”

A deep exhale went out of Jungkook as he slumped himself on the seat nearest to him. “I can’t believe I got it wrong. And here I thought I was already on the right track.”

“Wait. There’s still hope.”

“Huh?” Jungkook looked up to Yuna, a glint of chance reflected in his eyes.

“Such a baby…weeping over a wrong move.”

“Let’s confirm it in another way.”

“How?”

“Let’s ask Eunha herself.”

“What?!” Jungkook moved quickly from his seat to go to Yuna who was on the process of dialing her best friend’s number from her phone. “Are you out of your mind?!”

“No. It’s the best thing we can do as of the moment.”

“Yeah but that’s such a crazy idea.”

“Don’t worry. I got this,” Yuna said before placing the phone close to her ears as the ringing chimed from the device.

“Hello? Yuju?”

“Eunha, hi!”

Yuna gestured Jungkook to stay silent as she turned the call to loudspeaker mode.

“Do you need something?”

“Yeah. Where are you?”

“I’m by the university’s entrance with the others. Why? Did you change your mind about that urgent thing of yours?”

“No. I just wanted to ask you a question real quick. I need you to answer me truthfully though,” Yuna said directly as Jungkook held his breath.

“Sure. Go ahead.”

Yuna stood up from her seat and ushered Jungkook to do the same before she led him over to the window that had a perfect view of the school’s gate. From where they were looking, Eunha and the others were clearly visible, proving the fact that Eunha wasn’t lying about where she was.

“Where were you this lunch time?”

“Duhh…I was at the cafeteria with SinB and the rest of the group. We were playing cards while eating and Umji lost that’s why she’s treating us. Why? What’s with this sudden interrogation session?”

“Don’t ask. Just answer.”

“Geez, fine. What else do you want to know?”

“Are you hiding something from me?”

Silence went from the other side of the line making Jungkook turn to look at the view on the outside. Eunha was contemplating as to how she should answer and hope ignited a little inside of Jungkook.

“I’m sorry.”

Both held their breaths as they waited for Eunha to continue after her ‘unanticipated’ apology.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that I’m seeing Eunwoo now.”

Jungkook’s face fell as he realized what he just heard. Yuna, however, feigned shock as she covered in an effort to make Jungkook believe she was not expecting such an answer either when in reality, she knew it days before, when it happened.

“No.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I should’ve told you sooner.”

“B-but were you writing lyrics for him though? Were you making him notes during History class?” Yuna questioned to carry out her plan. She eyed Jungkook who returned the disappointed look back on his face.

“You know I’m not that talented when it comes to writing. It’s you-”

Yuna stared at Jungkook after he ended the call himself before dragging his feet toward the chair where his bag is.

“Why did you do that?”

“It’s no use. Eunha isn’t the one we’re looking for. It’s already so obvious I got it wrong…again.”

Remorse clouded Yuna’s mind as she carefully watched Jungkook who had a dejected look on his face. It was never her intention to make him feel like this. She just wanted Eunha and her to escape from his suspicions. She didn’t want to disappoint the guy.

“Wait!”

Jungkook gazed at Yuna who was standing frozen on her spot, thinking of something to lighten up his mood.

“What now?”

“I’ll help you look for her.”

“Forget it.”

“No! Just because you failed twice now doesn’t mean you should give up. There’s still a few more days before the school year ends. That’s more than enough time if we work together, right?”

Jungkook stared as he pondered on how he should react. In his mind, he was weighing the options.

“So? Are you with me or are you opting to become the loser that you aren’t supposed to be?”

Jungkook let out a deep sigh before tossing his backpack over one of his shoulders. “Are you sure about it?”

“I’m a hundred percent positive. Besides, even if I hate you, I still don’t want to see you get down over petty matters and with me being the helpful person that I am, I just can’t sit back and do nothing when in fact, I can do something.” Yuna gave a big smile over to Jungkook as she approached him. “What do you say?”

“Alright. I’m allowing you to help me.”

Yuna hit Jungkook lightly on the arm while saying, “This time, I’ll assure you. You’ll never get disappointed once again.”

“Choi Yuna, what are you getting yourself into now?”

 


 

I'm proud of myself. This is the second update for this week. Yay! The only sad part is that this means we're getting closer to the ending. Only a few more chapters to go. T_T As for the suggestions for the girl, it's still open. I haven't written her part yet.  :)