Neglected

Begin

"And without further ado, I welcome our new chairman on the stage, Mr. Jo!"

"Thank you, I'd like to say I am very honored the former chairman chose me for his heir after stepping down from his position. I don't know if I deserve this high position but I'd like to thank him and everyone else who has supported me throughout. It's a real honor to continue to work alongside these wonderful people as my coworkers. Thank you."

"Another applause for our new chairman!"

And I stepped off the podium. 

People came towards me with bouquets in their arms, smiles, and congratulations. My heart began to beat faster, my stomach churning. It felt as if something was flying inside my organs, pushing its way out through my mouth. A scream was waiting for its moment. 

But this time, it wasn't agonizing. It wasn't infuriating. It didn't hurt. There was no pain. Is this what it feels to be giddy? I could only assume. But a smile pulled my lips upwards so strongly, no amount of weight would be able to pull them back down. I took the many bouquets and gave them to my assistant. It was a nice party for such a lowly person. I was happy, but a line from my speech continued to echo in my head. I don't know if I deserve this high position. All my life I've lived as the shadow. The extra. I was never the main character.  You were never meant to be the main character. You never were, and you never will be the main character. And another question echoed in my head. Does becoming chairman make me a main character? During the party, I shrugged it off. I didn't want any negative thoughts to congest my brain when this party was thrown specifically for me.

People here and there continued to congratulate me as I walked around, talking to a few choice people with a glass of champagne in my hand. Though I also conversed with some for business benefits, when I talked with the coworkers I had been working with for a while, my smile no longer felt fake and I felt more relaxed. I didn't feel the need to impress, and I didn't feel the need to satisfy. It actually felt quite comforting. Is this what it feels like to have fun?

How silly for someone to have fun for the first time in their life at age 32.

After the party ended, I arrived home and relaxed in front of the television. When I reached the remote, the device and the first thing I saw was a baseball game. The batter had just hit a homerun. I stared at the TV for awhile, thinking about the times I'd glance out the window, my heart clenching as other boys played ball in their front yards. Being a businessman, my heart no longer held pain when I found myself walking by a baseball field. I switched the channel to the news. Another corrupt CEO caught. How fun. Beside me, my phone began to vibrate. A call from Mother.

"Please, it's for Youngmin. Just a little bit of money."

My brother grew up to become a professional baseball player, until he was kicked off the team for being incompetent. I do not know what he did with his life after that. All I know is now he and Mother are in a huge amount of debt.

But that's not my problem.

If he's the main character of the story, shouldn't he be able to solve his own issue on his own? Rewinding, shouldn't he not have gotten kicked out of his team in the first place? As the shadow of the story, I don't feel obligated to lend any money.

"I fed you, I raised you! And this is how you repay me? This is how you decide not to outshine Youngmin? He is your brother!"

I took a look at my nice phone, the nice sofa I was sitting on, and the nice television I was watching. I took a look around my nice, well-earned home. I thought about my job, my position, and my nice coworkers. I thought about my stable bank account.

"And I'm only a shadow. Please do not contact me again." I turned off my phone.

I may not have been the main character in Youngmin's story. I may not have been the main character in Mother's eyes. I may have only been a pitiful creature in their point of view. A useless figure. And maybe I wasn't the main character at all. Maybe I only was just an extra who did things for only the main character's benefit. But I believe as a grown man, I am no longer the shadow. I am no longer the extra. As the chairman of my corporation, I believe that I am only but one of the many main characters in this world.

And that is why you must listen to me when I say, pay attention to the details in every story.

You never know what might happen to the main character. And neither do I. But all I know is, whatever happens to the main character, that's not my problem.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


a/n

That's it guys. Thank you for the love and support, it really motivated me to continue writing this story. The ending seems a little hasty, I know, but I wanted to get out the main points out there.

Thank you again and I suggest you read the first letters of the title of each chapter. Then tell me what you see ;)

-K.o