The Unusual Encounter

Athletic Princess Momoring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was competition season for the athletes in Korea, also the beginning of a few love stories. Hirai Momo was doing her practice throws along with her coach guiding her after each throw. She was pleased when her coach told her that she was doing well, actually excellent to be exact. "Alright, that's enough practice. You're all set for the competition, now take a short break I'll meet you at the meeting room yeah? Good job kiddo" Coach Choi, a retired Olympic discus thrower, gave her a pat on the shoulder along with a smile. 

 

The adrenaline rush before every competition, brings both excitement and nervousness to Momo. As she waits for the commentator to call them out, she jogs on the spot , taking in breaths to warm herself up and lessen the nervousness within her. I can do this, You can do this Hirai! Only one shot. Ok well not really but I've got 3 chances to make it right.  Momo lead the line of competitors standing behind her out of the waiting room, as the commentator calls them out. 

 

"Welcoming the Womens Category for the Discus 1kg throw. This year we have 20 competitors from Different Universities across South Korea competing. First up, we have Hirai Momo!”. Momo raised her right hand waving and greeting everyone at the crowd with a big smile. Her smile grew, when she saw her Track team at the stands cheering for her loudly.

When the commentators were done with the introduction, the contestants walk their way to their designated throwing area. Momo taped her wrists, put on her discus shoes and grabbed her towel to practice her spin throws. Everyone got to throw once as a warm up throw or per say trial throw. Momo was satisfied and confident that she could at least get into the top 10. That’s the way Hirai!

 

It was down to the Top 5 finals, Momo not only made it through Top 10 but to Top 5 too. All of the other contestants who were disqualified, stayed to watch the nerve wrecking finals. Momo was now the last to throw her final throw. Will I be able to beat the previous record of 40.35m ? NO. HIRAI, let’s not make that a question instead a statement I believe in. As Momo, stretches both arms out, discus in one hand and another guiding her focus on. She takes the first pivoting turn , swinging out with elegance yet power, she took off on that last step throwing the discus out with “ARGH!”. The discus kept flying further and further, as Momo regained her balanced making sure she did not stepped out of the circle. The crowd at the stands, and the competitors who were outside the ring stood up “WOAH” in unison. Momo looked up to see that her Discus beat the National record of 55.80m. As the referee raised the white flag, the whole stadium roared in unison congratulating a new record holder.

Momo and the team then had training as usual but she was training alone in order to focus on her techniques. Two of Momo’s best friends, Minatozaki Sana and Son Chaeyoung, Javelin and Sprints respectively have stuck through thick and thin together since high school. They are like the three musketeers of the Athletics team. After they were all done with training, everyone was still packing up except Momo, Sana and Chaeyoung who were already done.

“Oooh Chaeng what’s up for lunch today at the cafeteria?” asked Momo.

“Hmm, today we have Stir-fried pork, bean sprout soup, beans, anchovies, and yogurt!”

“Wow Stir-fried pork?” Sana asked.

“SWEG” all three of them said in unison, shaking their head to the left. “Let’s have three plates!”.

When everyone was done and ready to leave Coach Choi stopped them, “Wait. Stop,”. Everyone looked at his direction.

“There’s an event at the assembly hall today.”  he announced.

“AGAIN?” everyone complained.

“MY GOSH AGAIN?” the three complained after.

They went to the store room, each carrying a stack of 6 chairs as they head towards the hall.

“Why do we have to do this every time there’s an event? We’re not slaves.” Momo sighed.

“We’re not the only strong ones. Doesn’t mean we do weightlifting in our training and etc we are the only ones! Girls who play Judo, dragon boat and Weightlifting have hugh thighs too?? “ Sana said frustrated.

“They all won so many gold medals in the previous national games.” Chaeyoung tried to complained struggling as the chairs were weighing on her but kept a strong front.

“Let’s work harder ok!” Momo encouraged.

“OK!”

 

————————————————

 

On the other side of Haneol Sports University , there was the national Swimming tournament. In the locker room , Myoui Mina had lots of thoughts going through her head. Despite blasting her music with headphones surrounding her ears tight, those thoughts of her mother can never disappear from her mind. 

 

As she sets for the preliminary rounds, the 100m Butterfly, it was a much easier start for her. Nothing was affecting her, and she finished off first  ,with a similar record at the National Record holder, Kim YooJung. Yes! If only I can prevent it from happening in the finals. 

 

"Wow! Did you see that? Myoui Mina, of Haneol Sports University just went on par with the National 100m women butterfly record holder, Kim YooJung!”, the commentator was shookt.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter