"You're too pretty"

Braces

The room was dim, with splashes of sudden colored lights roaming and beaming in unknown patterns. The were greens, reds, and blues, just like his mixed emotions, covering the facade of the young man who sat before him. Mingyu looked at the man with amusement and a hint of gentle curiosity. He stared deep into his hazel eyes which glistened as light hit them, as if looking for any emotion from the stoic faced lad.

A loud cough almost made Mingyu jump from his seat, taking his attention off the boy he so intently observed.
"So, what now? I didn't think you’d actually do it." Jun said with a cheeky smile and a glint of delight in his eyes.
"This was your idea. You should've had a plan. Aren't you supposed to be used to this?" HIs friend,  Jeonghan, retorted whilst looking at him with much discomfort.
"I have never, not even once, bid on someone. Usually the come to me." Jun joked as he gave a wink to the woman who was timingly passing by. Her long stark black hair covering more of her skin than her clothes did. She smiled and gave a small wave at Jun as is cooing the flirty boy. "See. They come to me, not the other way around."
"O pls Jun can you stop being  so big headed right now."

Mingyu didn't even bother joining the two's light banter. Instead he looked at the young man he was seated next to, giving back the attention which was interrupted.
"So.... What's your name?" He asked, giving out a smile.
"You bid on me and you don't know my name?" he answered with distaste. He wasn't supposed to be there sitting next to them. He wasn't supposed to be there on the stage a few moments ago. He wasn't supposed to be bid on, that was a rule. But one thing led to another and yet here he was being smiled upon by a person who seemed so pure, he was unfit to even be seen in that part of town.
"It's Wonwoo." He looked away as he said his own name as if he was afraid.
Wonwoo worked as a stripper in the genderfluid side of town. He didn't really have a choice, there were consequences, and he didn't want to admit it, but the pay was good. It was really good. Well compared to how much he used to earn working at some cafe or restaurant, this was far much better. Wonwoo didn't see anything wrong with his line of work. It was clean money for him, he didn’t steal, he didn't bribe, it was money he worked hard for.  There was just one thing he asked for when he joined the bar he worked in, he didn't want any kind of one on one with a customer, be it inside the bar or outside on the streets. This line of work needed interaction, but that didn’t mean he had to be handsy with anyone in particular, he could just stand there and look pretty, give a smile or two, he thought that was enough. Much to the owner's displeasure, she agreed, stating that Wonwoo was a student and people might recognize him if they were too close. But this one time, one time he actually goes on stage because his so good friend, Seungkwan, thought that eloping with his boyfriend would be the most romantic thing to ever happen in his life went off and now there was an empty spot and he was forced to cover up for him.

"Well then. It's nice to meet you. I'm Mingyu" The boy extended his hand but Wonwoo never responded.
Yes, he knew Mingyu. Everybody knew Mingyu. Maybe not here, but at school, at University, nobody didn't know him, not even Wonwoo.
He was the rich guy everybody loved. Girls fall even from the sight of a single strand of hair from the blonde head of the tall tanned young man. He had good grades, nice face, and a great personality. He was combination from some kind of drama and everybody adored that. Adored the fact that someone could be that perfect.
Well now, Wonwoo guessed, he wasn't so perfect after all. From all the clubs he could have gone to, he had to choose the one which was intended for genderfluid people. Wonwoo chose the place because men from uni wouldn’t come because firstly it’s too far from the campus, and secondly, they wouldn’t really like seeing men pole dancing and stripping. As for the female population of the uni, they were a lot more popular places filled with men they could choose from, the only genderfluid bar wasn't really much of an option to them. But what was Mingyu doing in such a place. Was he gay and tried to hide it by coming here? He didn’t really seemed the type to go  to sketchy places, he would fit in so much better in those high class restaurants, in his clean suits, being served fancy meals.

The table was awkward as Mingyu retracted his hanging hand, his eyes shook, somehow losing his confidence. Wonwoo breathed in a sigh and looked at the three he shared the round table with. “What are you guys doing here? You don’t seem like the type of people to be around this area, well except for your friend here I guess.” He looks at Jun as if observing his actions, the boy not giving him any mind and continued to feast his eyes on the women who were performing on the shabby dim lit stage.
“Well, you see, it’s our friend’s birthday today, that being Mingyu. And this person right here thought it would be a great idea to go have some fun. He took us here and some snob started a little fight and he was bidding on you, and so Mingyu had to be a little stuck up and he tried to overbid the guy and now you’re here with us and honestly I don’t even know what we’re doing anymore.” Jeonghan seemed frustrated at his own drawn out statement, heaving a heavy breath after his last words.
Wonwoo looked at the long haired boy as if understanding his stance of annoyance. But he had to do his job and he had to do it fast, his manager staring at him throwing darts his way. "Well, since you have fairly won me by bidding, I might as well show you all a good night. It is my job after all." Wonwoo looked back at Mingyu who was still staring at him as he talked. "And since its Mingyu's birthday, I might as well give a little treat." He gave a small smile, not really wanting to but it was something he had to do.

“You all drink right?” He asked earning a nod from each of the young men in return. He stood up walked up to the bar with a granite countertop, blue light coming out from underneath. Bottles of different alcoholic beverages in different sizes decorated it as well as the cupboards at its back. Soonyoung was behind the bar, with an apron tightly wrapped around his slim waist, mixing up an array of cocktails, serving it with a smile to some ladies in skimpy clothes sitting across him. Wonwoo got close to him and whispered to his studded ears. He leaned away from Wonwoo and smiled at him before starting to work his hands through the many bottles and glasses. As he finished, he gave Wonwoo a silver tray which held multiple drinks in various colors and sizes. He brought it back to the table and set in on the middle for the boys to see. “Here. I told Soonyoung, the bartender, to give you the best cocktails.” He looked at them, waiting for them to take a glass each.

“Thank you.” Jeonghan replied to him as he stretched his arm, reaching for a glass of bluish green drink. Jun took a glass in a hurry, not minding what he would get and still proceeded to eye the women on stage. It was going well or at least it seemed to be, but the birthday boy wasn’t really reaching to grab anything. Well, except for Wonwoo’s hand that was laid on the plump red leather chair.

Mingyu didn’t really know what has happening himself. At first he was sure it was pure pride that got him to bid, then it became curiosity since the person he got turned out to be quite a character but what he didn’t understand was how he was being dragged by the eyes of the person he was now sitting next to. He looked at him intently but he wasn’t sure at all to what was alluring him towards the man. Maybe it was his silky white skin, maybe it was his collar bones, maybe it how slick this hair looked, maybe it was his braces that reflected the lights as he smiled, or maybe it was how his long lashes would flicker when he blinked. Maybe it was one of those reasons, maybe it was those reasons altogether. Mingyu didn’t mind if it seemed gay, he didn’t really know what he was feeling anyway. He just felt a sudden tug at his little heartstrings that usually wouldn’t move or even shake for anyone.

Wonwoo shook off Mingyu’s hand, annoyed by the touchy interaction. He sighed heavily, not trying to hide it at all. He then forced a smile on his face and took a glass from the tray, handing it to Mingyu. “Here, this one is on the house. Apparently you’re the highest bidder ever to arrive in this place, and the manager wanted to thank you as well as congratulate you with your birthday.”

Mingyu took the glass from him, lightly brushing his slim fingers over Wonwoo’s. “Thanks” He drank down the drink in one whole gulp as Wonwoo looked at him with big eyes. Mingyu let out a screech of comfort as he felt his insides tingle from the alcohol.

“Wahh Mingyu~! I didn’t know you were like that!” Jun shouted to his friend across the table, seemingly impressed by his friends action.

“We really haven’t drank much together, right?” He replied giddily a smirk forming on his lips.

“Well, I have. And I can tell this isn’t going to end well.” Jeonghan exclaimed while brushing his face, worry and unease evident in his expression. He took a small sip from the same drink he had been holding since earlier. He thought that someone was to supposed to take the role of the responsible one. He can’t have all of them being drunk by midnight not knowing what was happening to themselves and just wake up at some random place because they couldn’t comprehend anything.

“Stop being a party pooper Jeonghan. Let’s just have some fun tonight!” Jun nudged his friend’s arm as he lay his back on the chair, losing interest from the show and now actually paying to the group he was with.

“If it wasn’t your birthday, I wouldn’t even let you go to a place like this. You better be grateful.” He lets out a sigh of defeat as he squints his eyes over Mingyu’s form.

Mingyu nodded to his friend’s statement, his smirk never faltering. He took another glass and gulped it down as he did with the previous drink, screeching again at the feeling of the alcohol trailing down his throat.

The night went on like that, Mingyu and Jun kept gulping down their drinks while Jeonghan observed them, keeping tabs on the amount he was allowed to take. There was mild banter and Mingyu sheepishly trying to get closer to Wonwoo. He scooted over to his side, placing his arms over the other’s shoulder. Wonwoo was very much uncomfortable with his actions but didn’t bother saying anything or shooing away the boy. He thought that this was soon going to be over and they would leave sooner or later. Plus he didn’t to bother with making a fuss with a drunk person who could not even comprehend what he himself was blabbing about.

Mingyu suddenly held Wonwoo’s shoulders making the boy look straight at him in return. He tugged at him and forced him into a smoldering hug. Wonwoo desperately tried to shove him away but to no avail as the man had so much strength even if he looked rather sluggish. Jeonghan’s eyes widened at his friend’s action, standing up and trying to pull away his friend from the discomforted man. He deemed this action rude even if the man named Wonwoo was a stripper. Maybe he really was just looking after Mingyu as actions like this could ruin him and as a friend he had the responsibility to keep that from happening.

“Jeonghan let go of me.” Mingyu retorted as he shook his friend’s hands from himself.

“And I’m telling you no. You let go of Wonwoo. It clearly looks like he wants nothing to do with this.” He kept his hand on his friend, tugging at the collar of his clothes. Wonwoo still trying to push Mingyu’s chest away from him. Jun looked at them, his eyes trying to focus on his friends and the scene they were creating. He had too many shots and he couldn’t even hold his head up straight.

Mingyu suddenly lowered his head next to the crook of Wonwoo’s neck. It looked like he passed out, the strength of his arms no longer evident. Instead, Wonwoo could feel all of Mingyu’s weight placed on himself. “You’re too pretty to be in a place like this.” Mingyu soft lips brushed against the skin of his neck making him shiver from the hot breath. He didn’t really pay any mind to what the man had said. He was drunk and he said that out of the moment. But Wonwoo was wrong, those words would keep repeating in his head for days unknown to him while the you man… would he even remember it?

Wonwoo finally pushed Mingyu away from himself, sitting his guest properly on the chair. “I’m really sorry about that. This is why I don’t let him drink.” Jeonghan cried out a sigh of frustration as he looked at his two passed out friends. Wonwoo took this time to stare at the long haired boy. His lashes were long, one side of his hair comfortably tucked behind his ear, pearl white skin. If he had his hair any longer than it was now, Wonwoo would’ve mistaken him for a woman. He looked like he had muscle underneath his thick clothes but at the same time looked frail and delicate. How could he possibly carry two of them if one alone would drag him to the ground?

“Do you want me to call a cab for you?” Wonwoo saw this as the end of his night with the group of young men. Now all that’s left is for him to them out.

“That would be great. O and here. The bill.” Jeonghan drew out Mingyu’s wallet from the passed out man’s coat. He handed Wonwoo a black card. He knew that Mingyu was rich, but a limitless card? That wasn’t something you would normally see.

Wonwoo went through the loud bar, back to where Soonyoung was. He was sitting down behind the bar, the rush of the night seeming to be already over.

“Already over?” Soonyoung joked at the man, earning a grunt in response.

“Yeah. But here, they wanted to pay with this.” Wonwoo placed the card on top of the shiny surface. “And can I use the phone? Two of them passed out and I don’t think the flowerboy can take care of them by himself.”

“Is this even real?” Soonyoung’s eyes grew big as he held the card in his hand, putting it up high close to the lights to get a better view. “This man is loaded Wonwoo. Think about it, if he became your regular… you’d be getting so much.” He looked at the boy as if he had just hit the jackpot.

“I don’t care. You know it’s not my job to be a bid boy, okay. He can’t even hold his drink. Anyway, the phone.” He thought nothing of Soonyoung’s statement, his face showing no interest.

“You’re missing out, that’s all I’m saying. Here.” He took something from underneath and placed it in front of Wonwoo. The boy then took the phone and dialed a cab and gave the coordinates of the bar. He pushed back the phone to Soonyoung as he finished the call.

“Still. That’s a hell lot of money.” Soonyoung gave back the card to Wonwoo, his face beaming with interest.

Before Wonwoo could go back to the table, he was met by his manager who smiled at him with much glee and a hidden intent.

“You’ve worked hard tonight. Why don’t you call it a day?” He stammered, which was uncommon. “Change into your casual clothes, them home, make sure they’re inside their homes properly and then head home. You can take tomorrow off too if you want.”

This was unlike him, very much unlike him. Was he planning something? Wonwoo thought to himself.

“But it’s still early. There’s still like 4 hours left before my shift ends.”

“Just do what I say and go. You’ve brought in more money tonight than a week combined. So just go, okay. Think of it as a treat. Give me the card and I’ll tell them to wait for you.” Before Wonwoo could retort, he was being pushed to the restricted area for employees as another hand grab hold of the black card he was carrying. The door was shut behind him and as if accepting the orders given to him, he breathed out a heavy sigh. At least he could study when he gets home or read the book he just bought a couple of days ago but didn’t have the time to skim through yet.

When he got out of the changing room, a black bag slung over his shoulders, he saw the manager talking to Jeonghan with much enthusiasm. Was that it? Was he interested in Jeonghan? It was quite apparent that his beauty was quite alluring, even a man could see that.

As Wonwoo got closer he was met by the man named Mingyu again. He was alive and kicking but still intoxicated and tipsy at his feet. He was awake, but Wonwoo could tell he wasn’t the least bit sober. He grabbed Wonwoo’s arms and interlaced it with his.

“Sorry about him. He said he wasn’t going anywhere until he saw you.” Jeonghan said in a worried voice. Jun slung over his shoulders, still passed out, grumbling things under his breath.

“It’s okay. I was told to you home. I was on the way out anyway.”

“Thanks.” The pretty man answered with a sigh of relief. He was troubled on how he would be able to take the two home when it was so evident that he couldn’t even lift Jun up, what more for Mingyu who was even taller than the already large boy.

Mingyu giddily held on to Wonwoo’s thin arms. He was like a kid that found something he liked in a toy store which he won’t let go off until his parent’s bought it for him. Which wouldn’t be much of a problem due to their fortune. But they weren’t in a toy store, and Wonwoo definitely wasn’t some toy to be bought.

“The cab’s here.” A man in all black with a toned and muscular body said as he took Jun from Jeonghan’s shoulder.

“Well, let’s go then.” Wonwoo walked out the bar, Mingyu still glued to his side and Jeonghan tailing behind him, trying to steady Jun as the tall man held him as support.

As they got inside the cab which was too small for four grown men to fit into, Jeonghan sat at the front next to the driver, giving him the directions to their homes. Wonwoo got in after forcing Mingyu to sit, blabbering about how Wonwoo would leave him if he got in. He was still grabbing Wonwoo’s arms, making sure they were seated next to each other. Jun was then sitted next to him by the bouncer who was trying to carry him. Jun was out like a burnt light bulb, nothing they did woke up the young lad.

The driver stepped on the gas and the force, made Jun fall onto Wonwoo’s shoulder, the frail boy being sandwiched between the two men he was sitting in between of. Mingyu saw this and reached out for Jun’s head, shoving him to the other side. “Find your own pillow.” He exasperated while Jun’s head hit the window with a loud thud making the two people at the front seat jump and look back. The driver tried not to pay them any mind and looked at the road once more. Jeonghan on the other hand squinted his eyes at Mingyu for hurting his friend. Wonwoo just sat there, being squished by the tall man he was net to. He didn’t think he was this kind of person. He looked fun and interesting, but he never could have thought that Mingyu would have this side of him, but then again, everyone owned a side that most people didn’t know. For Wonwoo it was this, his job.

“Ah. We’re here.” Jeonghan told the driver. He got out and quickly went to open the door next to Jun. He dragged the young man up and once again slung him over his delicate shoulders. Wonwoo almost stood up from his seat, ready to drag Mingyu out of the cab when Jeonghan suddenly closed the door, almost hitting his nose.

“This is where we part. Jun and I live here but Mingyu lives a few blocks away. I already gave the driver the location and paid him in advance. The guard also knows Mingyu so he’ll definitely help you out. The keys to his flat are in his wallet.” Wonwoo was a lost for words at what Jeonghan had told him. Just when he thought his busy night was over, he had to take care of the person who was stuck to him like when a person steps on an unwanted bubblegum.

“Then.. see you. Thanks again.” He tapped the car twice, signing that it could go.

“What the hell.” Wonwoo said under his breath. “I have to take care of him?” He looked at the blonde haired man as he tried to free his arms, much to his dismay, Mingyu WAS the bubble gum you step on when walking around in public. He was hard to get rid off. And so, Wonwoo sat back against his seat and allowed Mingyu to cuddle up next to him. He looked out the window, trying to get his mind off the crazy day he just had. Mingyu looked pleased as he closed his heavy lids, a smile creeping up his face.

A few turns later, the cab stopped in front of a luxurious condominium which glistened with bright lights, glowing against the night sky.

“He said this is the place.” The cab driver suddenly said, breaking Wonwoo’s stare at the marvelous building.

“Ah. Yes, thank you very much.” He opened the door and shook Mingyu heavily. The boy looked up at him, his smile still on his face. “We’re here. Come on, let’s get you home.” Wonwoo didn’t want to be this close, this touchy, this intimate with anyone. But Mingyu was still his customer, now a valuable one at that. He was his responsibility.

Mingyu trudged behind Wonwoo, tugging the end of his sleeve. Wonwoo closed the door behind the other boy and he watched the cab drive away. A guard then got closer to them, took a close look at Mingyu and then proceeded to open the door for them. “Thank you.” Wonwoo let out as he walked along Mingyu who was walking, half asleep.

“He lives on the 8th floor. Room 802. It’s to the left when you get off the elevator.”

The guard politely lead the way to the elevator where a chauffeur was waiting for them to get on. Wonwooo didn’t even have to say anything to the man, he presses the close button and floor number 8 with much confidence. Mingyu was popular, very popular. People knew him in the university, people knew him even here, the employees knew him.

They both got off the elevator, Wonwoo turning left as the guard had told him to. He was met by a door which had the numbers 802 plastered on its dark stained wood. He looked at the man who had accompanied him throughout the crazy night. He was out of it and he just kept staring at the young man. Wonwoo sighed at the exhausting job he was left to do. He reached for the pocket on Mingyu’s coat, grabbing the thick light brown wallet which supposedly held the keys to his room. He searched and found Mingyu’s university ID card, making him remember that he now had to make sure the boy didn’t see him at school which earned him another sigh.

He then saw the name of the condominium building laminated onto a card.

‘Maybe this is it?’ He thought to himself.

He swiped the card on the lock and a click rang against his ear, indicating that the door was now open. He looked back at Mingyu who has not said even a single word. Wonwoo took his hand and placed the card on it. He pushed him inside the door and before he could close the door behind the lad, Mingyu blocks it with his feet. He looked him straight in the eyes, he almost looked sober if only it weren’t for the rosy tint on his flushed cheeks.

“I’m saying this again. You’re too pretty to be in a place like that.” Wonwoo’s eyes shook at the other man’s words. Before he could retort, the door was already shut, again almost hitting his nose. He heard a loud thud coming from the other side, Mingyu might have passed out, now sleeping on his red carpeted floor. But he didn’t let that bother him. His nose was placed in danger two times tonight. He held onto it tight. He couldn’t afford to lose his face, it was the thing that allowed him to eat three times a day.

Wonwoo got out of the building, him thinking that he wouldn’t ever befit such a grand place. He looked up at the dark sky, small flickers of the stars hitting his irises. “Today was hella crazy.” He stated, a look of exhaustion drawn over his face. “I better get home.” He pulled on his jacket, tucking himself into it, trying to make himself warm. A puff of white smoke comes out of his mouth as he breathed.

The next day Wonwoo started his day with his same routine. Waking up close to noon, cleaning his apartment, like a man’s apartment can be truly clean, eating lunch while skimming through his notes for his subjects for the day, and then running off to the nearest bus stop to get to his university.

Wonwoo sat at the end of the bus, the farthest chair at the back, a thick book in a hand, headphones inside his ears. Just before he arrived at the university bus stop, he takes out his glasses from his bag and put them on, covering the sight of his pretty face and fierce eyes as well as his long lashes that any girl would be envious of.

 

He got off and went inside the university gate, a smile on his face as he starts his fresh new day. He was ready to go to class, his black messenger bag held tightly between his fists. As he arrive at the venue of his class, he notices a group of people blocking the door. He comes closer to see what the fuss was about and was greeted with a big “NO CLASS TODAY” sign taped onto the blue wood of the door. This was good new to Wonwoo, he had some extra time off after what happened yesterday. He quickly turned to his heels and walked off. Now what could he possibly do while waiting for his next class? He had done all that he needed to do and read all the manuscripts he had go over. He then decided to just take his time, read his book maybe. And off to the library he went.

He got in, trying to stop the squeaks of his rubber shoes. This was the only place he could relax. The smell of old books giving him a sense of nostalgia. The dim lights and cold air, humming him into sleep. He sat at his usual spot, behind big shelves of literature books which he so fondly have read most of. It was a secluded place, only three chairs available from how small corner was. His bag occupying one, and him the other. It was like him saying that nobody was supposed to enter his small happy personal space. And nobody really dared to do so. People usually came in by twos, and seeing as there was only one left, they would just pass by. One time a girl sat by him, but she didn’t last long, seeing how Wonwoo would look at her in curiosity but the girl thinking she was being glared at to scurry off.

He sat back and took out the book he was reading on the way to university. He opened it up to where he stopped, taking out a pressed flower which he kept as a bookmark. It was a small yellow flower he had picked up during his little strolls, he found its colors vibrant yet mysterious. He let the story take him to places different from he was now, allowing him to live a life of someone else. He didn’t pay any mind to those around him, he just drifted away with every word he read intently.

Wonwoo was so engrossed with his book that he failed to notice a man sitting on the chair across him. He was startled when he felt a small tap on hi shoulders which he shrugged off multiple times before actually looking.

“Can I borrow your----” The man cut off his sentence, trailing the last few syllables. His eyes grew big, his mouth agape.

Wonwoo’s eyes in response grew big as well. His worst fear since yesterday had now became reality. The man before him was no other than Kim Mingyu. His beloved customer that gave him a rough night just a few hours ago. Wonwoo’s face twitched from annoyance, closing his book in the process. He speedily took his things, stuffed them inside his bag and hurriedly stood up, his chair screeching at the friction. As he began to leave, he felt a grip around his wrist. He looked at the young man who was stopping him.

“What? You’re going to tell me again that I’m too pretty to be in a place like this?” He pulled his arm away from Mingyu’s hands, the other boy still trying to process what was unfolding before him. His face was starting to flush, a rosy tint beginning to form as he kept his eyes on the beautiful boy. He doesn’t remember much of what happened last night but he knew that something was pulling him closer to the lad who stood in front of him.