Something New

Something New

This story is a bit inspired by what happen with RicSung in real life nowadays, along with other fanfics i've read along the way. Enjoy~!


It has been almost 19 years since they debuted in this dazzling entertainment world. More than 2 decades since they first met and knew they would be amazing together in this line of work. One will think there’s nothing you don’t know about someone who you’ve befriended for 20 or so years. And yet, Eric can’t help but always be overwhelmed by surprise each time he found out something new about one of his teammates-slash-neighbor-slash-new-boyfriend, namely Jung Pilgyo a.k.a Shin Hyesung.

Eric stirs from his slumbers, feeling the fresh morning air that tickles his skin. Just then he remembers, he never opens his apartment window before falling asleep at night. So, who… A swift vanilla scent is really what wakes him up. One deep breath is all it takes for him to recall yesterday’s moment. As he turns his head to the side, his sight is welcomed by a warm view. Hyesung sleeping soundly with his head over Eric’s shoulder. Immediately, he can feel his lips stretches into a silly smile.

He is in Hyesung’s apartment, more specifically in his bed currently. And everything feels so right. Eric for once feels more alive than being on stage with full-charged adrenaline. For years he has suppressed his feelings, convincing his own heart that the man—excuse me, gorgeous man—beside him will never return his feelings. All the push-and-pull stunts they have in front of the camera are the only times Eric can touch Hyesung and nobody will make it awkward. No one will suspect anything.

That is until Hyesung blurted out his accidental confession.


Stop with the flirting will you? My heart can’t take it anymore.

That’s the first time Hyesung actually replies back to his playful flirting. Usually he would just roll his eyes and put on a passive face. First surprise of the day. And truthfully, Eric probably wouldn’t mind it too much as well if Hyesung had said it along with expressions on the above. No. Hyesung did not. That’s the problem. Second surprise of the day.

Hyesung blushed.

His usual pale skin and chubby cheeks took in slowly a rosy hue. Until it went darker and lower, passed his t-shirt neck lines. It was the most mesmerizing thing Eric has seen about his long-unrequited-crush. It didn’t take long before Eric dug deep of what Hyesung meant. Never occurred to shinhwa’s leader that this shinhwa’s vocalist would be the one that ended his one-sided love, of course on a very happy note. By the end of the night, they were sleeping in each other’s arm. Just sleeping, not doing anything more (mind you). Still, it is the best sleep Eric had in years.

Eric kisses the top of Hyesung’s black hair, relishing the happiness of his finally requited heart. Slowly, he brushes some of strands from his boyfriend’s cheek. Feeling the soft cheek on his fingers, he can’t help but kiss it gently. He keeps giving small kisses along Hyesung’s face, from his nose, his chin and jaw. Eric feels Hyesung’s eyelids flutter open on his lips. That’s when a pair of black orbs staring back at him sleepily, as if he’s still in a dream world. Eric decides to wait until those beautiful eyes blink and realizes their closeness.

Being fully awake and aware, Hyesung’s cheeks take on it’s rosy blush yet again and Eric knows he will have a hard time not to stare. Once again he reaches out his fingers, letting it trail along the blush, down and down his boyfriend’s neck.

“Stop that. It tickles.” Hyesung reprimands him, his tone of voice however is nothing like so. 

But Eric simply can’t stop. With tender touch, he pulls in the man in front of him, leaving gapless space between the two. With the same softness in his tone, Eric replies. “I don’t want to.” As the red color goes darker on that pale skin, Eric thinks, Cute.

*****

As the comeback for new album nearing, Eric and Hyesung are meeting more often than not, obviously. Not that they can’t meet up outside schedule before, but the shinhwa’s leader somehow can’t give solid reasons why the two of them should meet outside those meetings. Now, it’s easy to just spend the night in one of their apartment if one have tight schedule through the week. They try, however, to keep the news about their newly-found status away from the other members. Hyesung is certain, with Shinhwa’s comeback approaching very soon, it will be wise to keep this at home and be professional while on schedule. The last thing Hyesung want is to jeopardize the hard work they’ve done with the album, by stirring members’ focus to their new relationship.

Eric, however, is 100% sure Hyesung just doesn’t want to be the recipient of members’ endless teasing. Still, Eric cooly accepted his boyfriend’s request, despite the fact both knew very well that it won’t be long until the other’s found out. Who’re they kidding? They didn’t become 19 years group of idols for nothing.

Other things that makes this harder to contain is because Eric just simply can’t stay put. Whenever there are meetings in commence, the leader always makes himself sit side by side with the main vocalist. But that’s beside the point. The point is Eric somehow managed to touch Hyesung. Whether it’s on purpose, such as gripping his waist—sneakily, as how Hyesung said it. Also, accidentally brushing hands when they need the paper spread between members. Just like now.

Eric feels his boyfriend goes stiff for a millisecond as their hands brushes over the meeting paper. At that moment, the leader turns his head to the vocalist. Hyesung tries to act as normal as he possibly can, which he is. Except for the fact that his cheeks start to warm up.

“Oh My God.” Both men freeze before looking at where the voice comes out. Of course, it had to be Minwoo, who’s looking at them in shock. Not a second long, another voice joined in. “Wooow.” Jinnie looks as stunned as Minwoo.

“Are you blushing, Pilgyo-ah?” Minwoo says again, with added shock.

“What? Who’s blushing?” The maknae, Andy, finally looks up in baffle. “Oh. Okay, that’s rare.”

“That’s cute~!!!” That’s Dongwan, saying it the same time as Andy says the word ‘rare’, “What exactly happen though?”

Jinnie being the kind and attentive baby bird as he is, obviously knows everything. “Hyesung-hyung just went beet red when Eric-hyung’s hand touches hi-…”

“NO!” Ooops, Hyesung is denying that too quickly and too loudly, “I mean, nothing’s happen. It’s just… The air is chilly and i just suddenly feel ticklish. Yeah. That’s it.”

“Oookay. If you say so Pilgyo-ah.”

Click!

Without knowing where he gets it, Dongwan already snaps a photo for another blackmail material. “Jung Pilgyo blushing. Now that’s a look fans want to see! You should blush often, you look cute~!!!” Another snap or two are taken before the man on focus let out a bit of growling sound, no more blush apparent on his cheeks, with much added glare that could kill everyone in this room.

“I swear to God, if you don’t stop, you and your precious camera & helicam will never see the light of day ever again. Are we clear?”

With no more words, Dongwan turns off his camera, put it back in his bag and pretends reading the paper distributed. All done in one swift move, as fast as lightning, one will be astonished Dongwan can even move that fast. Meanwhile, the others are snickering, head down reading each of their own paper.

Their meeting continues as peaceful as they should be. So, when others’s focus are finally on the music video director, who came later than the members and didn’t see the whole blush-debacle, Eric leans in on Hyesung side. Just barely touching and whispers, “You do look cute when you blush.”

Within seconds, Hyesung puts his hands on his whispered ear, glaring towards his smug smiling boyfriend. The vocalist mouthed I AM NOT, before whispering, “Focus on the damn script, idiot.” Despite being told idiot, Eric obeys his boyfriend’s words with a happy idiotic smile.

The funny thing? Hyesung blushes again. It’s not as deep red as before, but yeah, he blushes.

Whilst this scene happens, both men do not realize as their focus is back on the meeting, the other four members exchange glances so subtly with smirk slowly growing on their faces.

*****
Hyesung finally finishes his schedule for the day. It isn’t comeback period, yet he still has so many schedule. Today is particularly tight. With costume fittings, new song recording and added ShinCom meetings here and there, Hyesung is beat up and ready to hit the hay as soon as he enters his apartment.

Of course, the moment he pulls the bedcover over his freshly-showered-pajama self, his iPhone needs to choose that moment to ring. Hyesung sighs loudly and after several seconds, he just realized the ringtone that fills up his silent bedroom. Special ringtone for his special guy. Eric isn’t one to call this late of night. Hell, he’s never one to call. He always prefers texts or chat, since he knew the others always have their own schedule and meetings. Each of them won’t always have their phone at some particular moment, hence he likes to leave texts instead. So why Eric’s calling?

“Eric-ah?” Hyesung thinks no need some courtesy hello-and-so when you know you’re talking with your boyfriend. Which he still can’t believe, he finally have himself a boyfriend. His long-unrequited crush, who is actually also having a long-unrequited crush to Hyesung himself as well. How come they’re both so stupid not to take the chance before? They’ve wasted 18 years when they could be together by then. They could’ve been happy earlier. But Hyesung doesn’t regret them as deeply as one should think. Because in the end, love does come around. Even if it needs 18 years to arrive.

“Hyesung-ah~ Can you come over here?”

Eric’s voice through the phone wakes him up from his daydreaming state of mind. “Huh? Why? It’s late already.”

“Just come over, please?”

“Is it something important? Wait, we covered all the important things today. On the meeting earlier.”

“Why are you thinking about it too much? Just come here.”

“I’m tired, Eric-ah. Can whatever this is wait until tomorrow? It’s not like tomorrow is the judgement day or something.”

“Fine. If that’s the case, i’m going to your house now.”

“Okay. … Wait, what?!”

Before Hyesung has the chance to say no, the phone line gone dead. And now, he needs to get up from his very comfortable bed because Eric will come in any seconds. Like in…

Ding Dong!


“Ughhhh. Why i didn’t give him the passcode for the door?” He mutters to himself as he lazily brings himself to a stand. “See you later, my comfy bed.”

Dragging his feet to the door, Hyesung slowly open his main door only to be pushed wider as quickly as his wrist is captured by his boyfriend. As the main door locked itself automatically, Eric pulls Hyesung hastily but tenderly beside himself, both sitting on the large black sofa. The leader’s other hand is tapping away the screen to his iPhone in a fast manner. And since when does he bring beers? Hyesung thinks as he saw couple beer cans on the table. One can is opened already. Eric murmurs, “Here, listen to this.” and the next second, a familiar piano melody fills up the whole apartment.

Heaven. Their new track from their new album. Still in progress for mixing and finishing, since Hyesung just recorded it two days ago. Other members except him, Minwoo and Eric haven’t gotten around to record it. After a minute or so, Eric replays their recorded part all over again. The vocalist hasn’t heard the previous play closely, so he doesn’t know what to say. He also doesn’t know what Eric wants to show or say with a sudden want of playback for this song, really late in the night. After the tenth playback, Hyesung slowly asks what’s the problem, whether Eric wants to re-record it again, which part that sound off to him because it sounds okay to Hyesung.

“No, i just want to show you this. Isn’t this song sound really nice?” That moment, Eric turns his head towards him and his expression takes Hyesung’s breath away.

Eric is smiling.

Not your usual dorky smile or sly grin. But that soft tender smile he often shows to Hyesung when they’re alone. The smile whenever Eric has his chin on both of his palms and adoringly said those three special words to him. A loving smile that Hyesung really loves.

“I was replaying this at my apartment, and suddenly all i can think about is meeting you. Let you hear this song yourself.” Eric tightens his hold on Hyesung’s wrist, “Your voice sounds really beautiful in here.”

Maybe it’s because of the atmosphere. Maybe it’s because of the beer. Whatever it is, Hyesung is praying for his heart to stop beating like crazy and for Eric to not hear its deafening beat. Because it’s embarrassing if he knows, yet his heart is still picking up its speed, soaring to cloud nine. Contrary to the popular beliefs, aside from his strict vocal directing, Eric does give compliment to s loads of time. Not just once or twice. Probably as much as Minwoo, but he never did it in the studio. He always comes to each members personally or chat them, tell them how good they’re in today’s recording. Hyesung has been the recipient of that compliments so many times. But never before Eric says it with such love in his tones. Such admirations.

Maybe because they’re a couple now? If so, Hyesung feels cheated. It feels like he will never that kind of compliment if they were never together. As always, Eric seems to read his mind when he says his next words.

“I always love your voice. Right from the start i do. But this time, it feels different. It sounds more graceful than ever. Here i thought you’ve reached your limits, and then you blow me away yet again.” Unknowingly, their fingers have intertwined, warmth spreading to each of their palms. “Thank you for singing this so beautifully.”

It’s not an awkward situation. No matter how cheesy the compliment gets from any members, it’s never really awkward. But Hyesung truly doesn’t know what to reply. Should i say thank you? Should i say, of course, it’s my job as main vocalist? Should i say, no, i think Minwoo is better? For once, he’s too stunned to give any reply.

Eric though, has moved on to another topic. Hyesung feels the man’s calloused fingers on his cheeks, gently brushing up and down. “You’re blushing again.” The man smiles wider and sweeter.

It’s cute. He can hear that words attached to the sentence. He really despises being called cute. Although, after all of the compliment and the smile, Hyesung can’t really get mad being called cute. And so, he does what he thinks is best at the moment. Closing in on the man in front of him, one hand squeezing the other’s while other hand reaches up behind Eric’s nape. Then, his lips is on top of Eric’s. It was brief, soft and sweet, just the right pressure.

Not long, Hyesung pulls apart with the softest smile he can conjure and whispers, “It’s all because of you, cheesy and all.”

Eric is taken back for a moment, until he brings up their interlaced fingers and puts a small peck on the back of Hyesung’s hand. He can feel a smile presses on his skin.

“It’s an honor.”

*****

“So, what happen you two?”

The two lovebirds serious-not-so-serious conversation is stopped as they turn their heads towards Minwoo who’s lounging on the sofa. They’re currently just finished the fansigning event for the second part of their 13th album. Some of the managers and staff have gone their way out, putting their fan gifts and other necessary items back into the vans. Some of the others are talking to sponsors representatives and other important people. The six of them are the only people left in this waiting room, waiting to be called to their vans and go home to their respective apartments. Upon Minwoo’s question, however, everybody stops their activity. Full attention is placed onto the two men in question.

“What do you mean what happen?” Eric questions back.

Minwoo shrugs his shoulder a bit, “I mean, you two are awfully close these days. With the little not-so-subtle gestures you do in the concert. Also, the thing about Heaven. Hyesung, you practically giving the media and the fans all the stories when you usually keep it to yourself. Then, there’s this fansigning. I hear Eric asked to be seated beside Hyesung? You never asked that before. So, anything going on?”

“N-nothing. Eric was just hyper, i mean you see his attitude in the fansigning.” Hyesung tries to close this conversation with rolled-eyes, blaming Eric per usual, yet again. By now, Eric isn’t really taking it by heart.

“And the story?” This time, Dongwan asks.

Eric comes in to the rescue, “We’re just being neighbors who happen to be able to meet up whenever we want to, discussing whatever we want. Obviously.” The leader is calmly answering each questions, yet Hyesung keeps fidgeting beside him.

But apparently, the maknaes aren’t having it.

“True, Eric-hyung has been all over you, you know, Hyesung-hyung?” Andy says, while Eric scream, “Yah! I’m not!” but the youngest isn’t even listening.

“It’s weird. Hyesung-hyung usually tries to sit as far as you can from Eric-hyung.” Jinnie says with his usual head-tilt expression.

Sensing his boyfriend’s nervousness, Eric steps in again to stop this conversations for good, “You guys are reading too much into this, okay? Just drop it.”

“Does this has to do with that blushing incident?” Dongwan tries to be smart and for once, he’s nearly getting the right answer. Hyesung on the other hand is too fast to answer, “What blushing incident?”

“Oh… So it IS about that. You didn’t really deny it, Pilgyo-ah.” Minwoo adds to the fuel.

“Because there’s nothing such as the blushing incident. Why do i have to deny something that isn’t there?!” The vocalist’s voice is getting more and more defensive in mere seconds. Eric currently is thinking hard to let this topic slides off before the two of them are cornered with no way out. For a moment, Eric and Hyesung glances meet. They immediately have a split second brief conversation with their eyes.

I told you, it’s better to let the guys know.

No! This is exactly how it’ll turn out if we let them know!

Hyesung-ah, they will drop the problem if they knew the reasons why.

You’re suppose to be on my side, idiot Eric!

“Okay, stop with that eye-conversations, you two.” Two pair of eyes glance back nervously towards Minwoo who is now standing in front of the two. “Just tell us already.”

An awkward pause fills up the room just for a second, before the eldest in the room talks back, “Tell you guys what?”


“Eric-hyung, Hyesung-hyung, whatever you say, we’ll be fine with it, okay?” Jinnie slides in the conversation, standing beside Minwoo. Jinnie’s words get Eric thinking whether the guys already know about their new relationship. If they have, then there’s no meaning on keeping this in a tight lid jar anymore. Bravely, Eric reaches out for Hyesung’s hand and holds them tightly. No words needed to let the vocalist knows what this gesture means and what’s about to happen. Hyesung slightly nods at Eric’s glance which asks for permissions. In the corner of his peripheral sight, the leader is sure he actually see the four others smiling, with a bit of smug added if he must say.

Without further ado, Eric says while raises his interlaced fingers, “We’re dating.”

Another awkward pause—much more awkward then before—bridges their conversation, up until Minwoo starts to say, “And?” He says it with shrugged shoulder and open palms, like he is trying to ask more out of Eric’s answer.

“And what? We’re dating. Period. End of story.”

“That’s it?!” Minwoo shouts back.

“Yes!” Eric shouts back, not wanting to lose the shouting match.

“Seriously, that’s it?!” It’s Dongwan’s turn to ask. “We thought you two were engaged by now.”

“ENGAGED?!!” The couple in question cries out loudly, before Eric continues, “There’s no way we’re engaged when we just started dating for like 5 months ago! Well, i could ask him now, but not like this. Hell no.” The leader turns to his boyfriend, and there it is. The sweet blush is back. Eric swears to himself, he will never get tired seeing and making that happen.

“Oh come on! You two dating is like so last year news!” Minwoo tilts his head back in frustrations, while Eric can subtly hear Jinnie in the far corner of the room mutters something like, “More like 20 years ago news.”

Andy finally steps in and asks, “So all this time, you two weren’t an item?” Eric shakes his head, giving his answer. He’s also pretty sure that’s what Hyesung does. As well as asking them back, “Why do you think we’re dating before?”

Minwoo gives a long heavy sigh and snorts, “Why? Why do you- hahaha… You two been playing this love-hate-push-and-pull the whole time, on-and-off camera that we’re this close too puking every now and then, and you ask why?!” With his eyes still facing the two currently shocked men, Minwoo gathers his things, “‘Just dating’ my . I don’t buy it!” And just like that, he’s out of the room.

The other three also put on their passive face and shake their heads together, one by one slowly gathers their things and walks towards the exit. Eric and Hyesung can only follow their gestures with their eyes, for some reasons standing as still as they can. As for Jinnie, just before he’s out of the door, he turns his body and says, “Ckckck. And to think you’re my mommy and daddy bird. I’m ashamed of you two!”

Within the minute, the others are gone like a wind, leaving the last two men dumbfounded. Hyesung takes a deep breath and turns to his boyfriend with an annoyed look on his face, “Should i be offended that they look much more disappointed than i do about us just dating recently?”

Eric takes his time to answer though. “Are you? Disappointed that we’re just dating now?”

“… No. Because we’re still dating, even if we knew earlier.”

Slowly, Eric can feel the corner of his lips pulls up, a blooming smile sets on his face. Without wasting any more seconds, he pecks his boyfriend’s lips and happily waits as his favorite lovely rose color spreads across the pale skin. Truly, it’s a sight to behold.

20 years and counting, yet you still managed to surprise me, Jung Pilgyo.


THE END