Too Late For A Mother's Love

Too Late

Park Mija is a proud and prideful woman, despite having a child and getting married at a young age which later ended up with an annulment, leaving her to become a single mother. She worked her way to the top of the business industry in Korea, not much later in the whole Asia. 

 

Most of her time were spent on works and proprosals, she was still able to raise and spend time with her beloved son, Taehyung who was only four when she and her husband annuled. When Taehyung was old enough to be able to comprehend and she taught the boy all about success and hard work, hoping that she will be able to mold her son to be a succesful person and rightful future leader of the company she spend time, blood, sweat, and tears with.

 

"Mom...I want to be an idol"

 

Those words crushed her dreams for her son, she still remember slapping her child painfully, twice. 

 

"Are you crazy!" she has never been so angry at her then-teenager who had his head down, stopping his tears from falling. "I...I spent all my hard work in this company for you to have a better future and so you can have it...and now you don't like it?" 

"Mom, your dreams and my dreams are different!" Taehyung argued with his teary eyes, defending his stand. "You were the one who wants me to become the successor...not me"

 

With her emotions tied up together, her face was red from anger and disappointment. Does he want to be incompetent like that stuck-up father of his?

 

"If you want to be an idol...get out. Get out of this house, and forget that you are even my son" She didn't mean it, she was left no choice but to threaten the boy to choose either his dream or her.

"Mo--"

"What is your answer, Taehyung!"

"I'm sorry, Mom...I can't leave my dream behind" those shattered her heart into pieces, she felt betrayed like when she caught her ex-husband cheating on her with another woman. "But that doesn't mean I don't lo---"

"Get out, Taehyung. You're not my son"

"Mom--"

"Get out. Get out. Get out!" she pushed her son out of the house and slammed the door shut as she sobbed silently while hearing her son's pleas.

 

Taehyung was 17 back then, she left a mere young boy in his second year of highschool to fend for himself inside the harsh and cruel society but she chose her pride over that, with a little hope that the boy will realize it soon and come back to her. Despite that fact, she was surprised to see her son as one of the outstanding rookies topping the music industry. Her son did made a name for himself even though it is unbelievable, whether she liked or disliked his preference of career, she was proud for her little boy. Not that she will say it out loud, of course.

 

She may be proud of her son but she is still angry about the fact that the boy not wanting to inherit the company. Even after two years, she refuse to speak to the boy.

 

"Chairwoman, your son is calling..." her secretary informed her through a call. "Should I transfer it to you?"

"Reject it"

"Ne, I understand" As soon as the call ended, she looked at the family photo that was taken a month before she caught her husband cheating.

"You must be happy, Kim Jiho...your son made me miserable too"

 

Days passed, a scandal broke out involving her son, ruining his career and image. He was now one of the hated Korean artists in history. She wanted to defend him, protect him, but he must know and be responsible for the consequences of his choices.

 

"Kim Taehyung, who is more known as V has officially apologized to Miss Ha early this morning...."

 

As a mother, she noticed the tremendous weight loss of her son, those bright eyes that she loved grew colder and darker, his usual uplifting self turned into the opposite.

 

"Mr. Gong"

"Ne, Chairwoman?"

"Prepare a healthy meal and sweets...send it to Taehyung, anonimously"

"Immediately, Chairwoman Park!" The glee on her secretary's face was not left unnoticed by her, The man had been her secretary from the start and grew close to her son so it is understandable.

 

Weeks passed after that, the entertainment company her son is under announced Bangtan's comeback. Unbeknowst to everyone besides Mr. Gong, she donated funds to help with the filming and preparations.

 

"Madame Park, there is someone asking for you" her secretary announced through intercom.

"Who is it?"

"He says that he is Kim Jiho, should I send him in?" she stopped when she heard her ex-husband's name. With much courage, she decided to take a hard decision.

"Send him in"

 

With that, the doors opened and saw her damned ex-husband. She faced the cheater by holding herself high as he strode into her office.

 

"What do you need?"

"Let me see my son" her ex-husband begged her. How dare he! After leaving them, 16 years ago, he wants to see Taehyung?

"You have no rights to see him. Besides, don't you have other children now?"

"Mija--"

"You have no rights to call me by my first name!" her tone went unexpectedly high as she snapped at Jiho.

"I need him, please! He might be a match! My daughter is dying! She needs a kidney transplant---"

"You came back after 16 years to ask for a donation from the son you immediately abandoned?" she was in rage, there was no mistake to that. Had he know about what Taehyung is suffering right now, he will not be such thick-faced to even ask.

"Please, Haeyeong will die--"

"Don't you even know who is your child now?" she asked with hurt visible in her tone. "Your son...aniyo, get out. Leave! Leave and never show your face infront of me and MY child!"

 

Thankfully, Mr. Gong entered the office and saw the commotion before dragging Jiho out of the office. She cried as she thought bitterly, does Taehyung mean nothing to him? 

 

"Chairwoman Park---"

"Is Taehyung nothing to him? To even suggest such thing!" she was too enraged with Jiho.

"You need to go to the hospital now, Chairwoman" Mr. Gong said in a clear, loud voice catching her attention.

"Why do I need to go to the hospital?"

"Taehyungie commited suicide"

 

Taehyungie commited suicide. Taehyungie commited suicide. Taehyungie commited suicide. Those words rang inside her mind until they reached the hospital. She immediately got out of the car and ran to the information booth.

 

"Kim Taehyung. Where's Kim Taehyung!" she was literally screaming at the two poor nurses who nervously led them to a hospital room.

 

With no further ado, she strode inside the room to see the boy connected with tubes and a machine that controls his breathing.

 

"Ta-Taehyung!" she cried out as she clutched onto her beloved son.

"Chairwoman Park! Any relations to the patient?"

"I'm his mother" she immediately answered as she briefly let go of the boy.

"I see...Chairwoman Park, he..."

 

Park Mija felt her world crashed down once again when the doctor revealed Taehyung's suicide attempts and that the machine is the only thing that keeps him alive now.

 

"Taehyung-ah...I'm sorry. I'm very sorry"

 

Every day and night since that accident did she visit her son even though she knew that Taehyung has no chance to wake up again. That she will never make up with him again. That she will not be see his beautiful smile again. That she will not be able to apologize to him. Yet, she wish for a miracle to happen.

 

"Park...Mija?" It was Jiho, holding a paper bag filled with meals.

"What are you doing here? Are you following me?" she demanded with her arms crossed as the man shook his head.

"I'm here for my daughter..." her ex-husband answered truthfully. "her condition worsened and she's being kept here for dialysis. Maybe this is the payment for my sins. How about you? You don't look that much sick"

"My son..."

"Mwoh?"

"Taehyung is in this hospital" she answered, too tired to even remember that he hates the man. For Taehyung's sake.

"Taehyung? Since when? What happened?" her ex-husband interrogated more.

 

With a deep breath, she closed her eyes as she thought carefully before opening .

 

"Taehyung might be a match....to your daughter" 

 

She saw how the man's eyes lit up and she couldn't help but be angry at him but the man doesn't still know what happened.

 

"Are you really sure? Did he agreed to this?"

"No, but I'm sure he will be more willing to do so" she said as her voice broke while remembering her son's good nature. "Do you want to meet him?"

"Of course" was the immediate reply of the father.

 

Each steps of her becomes heavier as they come near her son's hospital room.

 

"We're here" she announced to her ex-husband before opening the door.

 

THUD

 

She turned and saw Jiho, standing frozen with wide eyes as the bag he was holding hit the floor.

 

"I-i-is t-tha-that T-Ta-Tae-Taehyung?" came a heartbroken question from the man. She closed her eyes before taking a deep breath and prayed to give her the courage to break the news.

"You must have seen him in the news...Taehyung, he...he commited suicide the day you came into my office. He was depressed, stressed, drained, even self-harming because of the issues that happened this past months. I should have been with him...but I was too prideful and betrayed by his choice. He wanted to be an idol, just like your past dream...he did and he was successful but a tragedy striked him down and changed him." she told Jiho, who was unmoving with his eyes glued to the boy, his son. "The doctors said that the machine is the only thing keeping him alive now. Technically, he's brain dead...they asked me whether I want to turn it off now but I said, 'no.' I still believed that he will wake up so that I can say sorry. But for the past weeks, I kept thinking...whether to turn the machine off...he's already gone." 

 

She wiped her tears as she watched her ex-husband slowly went closer to see the boy. With a stiffled sob, the man held her son's hand for the first time in 16 years. 

 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" he chanted along with his sobs as he held their son's body with mixture of longingness and regret.

 

That night, she and Jiho made up with each other, something Park Miha never dreamed about. After that reconciliation, she went home and opened her laptop to see an email was sent to her. A video mail. "To Mom", dated the day Taehyung commited suicide.

 

"Mom" — it was Taehyung "I know that by the time you receive this, I'm already gone so I want to say that I love you and that I'm sorry for leaving you all alone. Mom, don't blame yourself for anything...I won't like that. You'll make me really sad—"

 

"But you made me sad too" she replied with a tear staining her cheek.

 

"Also...I know you still have grudges with Dad...I want you forgive him and move on, Mom..."

 

"I already did, pabo-yah"

 

"And...my organs...I will not have to use them...might as well donate them to those who needs them. I...I deserved to die....but they don't"

 

"You never deserved to die, adeul-ah..." she sobbed harder as she looked down at the floor.

 

"Don't hate those people who said hurtful words...don't blame BigHit or Bangtan either...Mom, it's not their fault...my battery's dying now...so...I love you, Mom. You are my only love. I'm sorry. I should have been a better son...love you, Mom" — and the video ended, leaving her a crying mess as she muttered the words, "I love you too."

 

That very night also, she made the biggest decision of her life, she decided turn off Taehyung's life support. As she turned off her beloved son's life support, she waited. She waited whether Taehyung will miraculously wake up but to no avail. As per her son's request, she donated her child's parts to those who needs them. That same night...Kim Taehyung was officially pronounced as dead.

 

It was a private ceremony, Taehyung's wake. It was only their family members, friends, Bangtan, who were there. The media was prohibited to take any photo or video of the event. The fans mourned alongside them through social media and other ways.

 

"Taehyungie...he was a bright child. When I was so tired with work and lie down to sleep, he would go to the bed and hug me, he was sweet...he cares about everyone. I remember when it was in grade school, I would always wonder why he ask me to make two sets of food but in the end, I found out that he would give it to the child in their class who has no lunch to eat..."

 

As she continued the eulogy, she did not noticed that her tears were flowing uncontrollably but she saw that the others were also tearing up, remembering Taehyung.

 

It turned out that Taehyung's kidney matched his half-sister's kidney, giving the girl another chance to live. As she watched Jiho embraced his daughter tightly, she felt jealous. She will never have a chance to hug her son again. Thinking that it was too much to handle, she said goodbyes to Jiho and to the child who said her thanks to her. 

 

She went to visit her son's tomb which is located near the sea. She felt her tears fall as she touched the tombstone.

 

"I'm too late, adeul" she sobbed. "I'm too late to say that I'm sorry, that I need you...that I am proud of you...I hope you could forgive me, Taehyung-ah..."

 

She felt her hair stood up from the back of her neck as she felt someone embraced her from the back.

 

"I love you, Mom...I could never not forgive you" she sobbed even more as she heard her son's voice.

"I-I love you too, adeul-ah"

"I know, Mom..."


So...just a sequel for the past chapter...hope you would like it.