ch 1

the other side

 
begin
to be replaced; to be forgotten; to cease to exist  
jisoo's fear is turning into reality 

The Mirror of Esrevér or known as the mirror that shows one’s soulmate was one of Jisoo’s biggest mistake to ever look at. It did not show who his soulmate is nor did it do him any good because now, he’s trapped within a parallel world. It’s not the thing that worries him the most but the fact that his other self took his spot in the real world. Somebody’s playing his role and that is Joshua.

 

What should I do? What is Joshua planning?

 

Jisoo never felt more helpless.

 


 

It feels good to be breathing some real fresh air that he thought he would never be able to encounter in their—no, his entire life. Now that he’s the one living the reality, he would do everything just to live it to its fullest.

 

Jisoo is such a bore anyways.

 

He immediately thought of the things that he wanted to do ever since, and the things that he’d always wanted Jisoo to do but was too afraid to do so.

 

I need to find him.

 

As if on cue, he saw the person he was about to look for, grinning in triumph.

 

Bingo~

 

He walked the short distance between him and Junhui. Oh, Junhui! Wen Junhui! Jisoo’s soulmate! The real Junhui! Not an illusion nor a duplicate; the person that Joshua have always wanted to see, smell and touch. The real owner of the soul that was destined to be with them— him.

 

Joshua shook his head, scolding himself because he needs to get used to calling himself as him. As one entity. As an individual without his other self. Just him.

 

Joshua felt glad that Jisoo has no idea who his soulmate is, at least, he cannot do anything about it once Junhui accepted him as his soulmate. The moment Junhui accepts Joshua, it will seal Jisoo’s fate to live in that cold world.

 

“Hello” Joshua said meekly despite his real self. Jisoo is the gentle one, the weak one, and Joshua has to deal with it first. He needs to break that image to be able to live comfortably in this world— to be able to replace him for good. He will do it slowly but surely.

 

Junhui glanced towards him, the frown on his face was replaced with a warm, genuine smile that made Joshua’s heart skip a beat.

 

It’s his effect because he’s my soulmate after all.

 

“Oh, hi” was his only reply, unable to form a coherent sentence because Jisoo’s actually talking to him! But Junhui composed himself quickly, he had mastered the art of acting “platonically friendly” when he’s in front of the person he likes— as not to easily throw himself just yet.

 

“Ummm, do you happen to know where Wonwoo is?” Joshua tried to hide his smile when he saw Junhui’s thoughtful expression, he needs to play everything coolly. Wonwoo is their mutual friend after all, and Joshua knows that Wonwoo is Jisoo’s best friend, it would be the best excuse to start a conversation with Junhui without arousing any suspicion. (They’re not particularly close since Jisoo is so awkward).

 

“I think he’s still in the library, I saw him a few hours ago.”

 

“Oh, thank you Junhui.”

 

“Jun.” Joshua stared at him for a few seconds which unnerved Junhui even more, but he built his courage to explain himself

 

“Call me Jun, please. Junhui sounds too formal.”

 

“Oh I see, okay… Jun.” Joshua pretended to familiarize himself with Junhui’s nickname. “Call me Joshua then, see you around, Jun.

 

“See you around, Joshua.” Jun can’t hide his grin at this point, too happy that Jisoo allowed him to use his English name.

 

Joshua waved demurely, waving at Junhui as he goes.

 

There goes my heart. Junhui thought dreamily

 


 

Wonwoo quietly flipped a page of his book. He may appear like he’s reading but the truth is, he cannot focus at all. The words kept flying over his head, unable to grasp the meaning and essence of what he’s reading. Something is bothering him. Something is wrong, but he doesn’t know what exactly it is. He closed his book with a thud.

 

Something is missing.

 

“What’s wrong with you?”

 

Wonwoo looked up and saw Jisoo standing in front of him, looking at him like he’s a puzzle. Wonwoo stared right back at him, sensing that something’s off about Jisoo but cannot quite pinpoint it. He was brought out of his stupor when Jisoo took a seat beside him.

 

“I asked you, what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Okay…” there was doubt in Jisoo’s tone

 

Silence fell for a moment before Jisoo spoke up again.

 

“I saw Jun.” The latter announced, Wonwoo looked at him, mildly surprised because of Jisoo’s casual tone when he said “Jun.”

 

“When did you start calling Junhui as Jun?” He cannot help but ask

 

“Just a while ago.” Jisoo simply shrugged

 

“That’s odd” Wonwoo observed

 

Now, something’s definitely off about Jisoo.

 

Jisoo never spoke this way when it concerns Junhui. What happened? Wait a minute… does he already...??? Wonwoo immediately cut off his thoughts. He doesn’t want to think about it.

 

“I see.” Wonwoo lied

 

‘Jisoo’ smiled. It looked really different. Wonwoo knew that he should never doubt his instincts; that he should never ignore it. If it’s telling him that something’s odd, he should definitely follow it. Experiences taught him that.

 

But he didn’t.

 


 

Joshua felt so tired after a long day of pretending. Just thinking that it’s his first day as Jisoo made him groan in exasperation already. How can he keep this up for a few more days, weeks or months?! Joshua groaned yet again. He never liked being slow but he has to.

 

“Damn that Jisoo.” He curses his other self silently

 

He dragged his feet up the stairs of the boy’s dormitory, taking long strides to get to his room. He pulled out a key from his pocket to unlock the door, closing it behind him as he walks inside.

 

“I need to have some fun at least” he thought out loud,

 

“Yes you should.”

 

Shoot, he forgot about his roommate.

 

“Hey, Cheol.” Joshua turned to the other occupant of the room, greeting him casually

 

“What’s up with you? You’re usually nicer than that.”

 

“I am nice.”

 

Seungcheol let out a chuckle, earning him a glare from Joshua.

“I’m just kidding, Shua.”

 

“Feel blessed that you get to talk to me this way, Cheol.”

 

“Yeah right.”

 

Joshua felt relieved because at least Seungcheol calls Jisoo as “Shua.” He finds it appropriate now that Seungcheol is living with him. Joshua’s glad that his roommate is Seungcheol, one of the densest people on Earth. Pretty sure he won’t be able to figure something out.

 

“By the way, wanna go out?” Seungcheol invites

 

Joshua thought about it, “where to?”

 

“Bar?”

“Hmmm… tempting but no thanks. I’m dead tired.”

 

“And here I thought you’d accept since you just said you want to have fun.” Seungcheol pouts

 

Joshua gave him a lopsided smile, thoughts running freely.

 

“Well, there are other things that someone can do to have fun, right?

 

“Such as?” The older inquired

 

“Making out?” Joshua said suggestively, Seungcheol froze, eyes wide as saucers, as if he’d seen a ghost.

 

Joshua was only joking of course but looks like he hit a nerve.

 

Wow, I’m feeling lucky today.

 

“And with whom?” Seungcheol’s voice lowered, Joshua caught the tone of jealousy.

 

Joshua was able to put things together: Seungcheol has feelings for Jisoo.

 

As opposed to Jisoo, Joshua is not naive. Joshua is truly clever because nothing inhibits his thoughts; he doesn’t doubt himself while Jisoo constantly doubts everything around him, too afraid to even assume. Everything should be spelled out to Jisoo for him to accept it as truth even if it’s painfully obvious to anyone.

 

And another thing that differentiates him from Jisoo is that Joshua likes to seize every opportunity. He likes to get whatever that’s offered to him even if it’s not exactly what he needs or want.

 

[The only thing I need is Jun.]

 

Joshua only wants to have fun tonight. Joshua wants to be loved too; he wants to experience touching an authentic soul.

 

Needing and wanting are two different things anyway.


“You.”

the writer's words

So okay, I tried to insert important information just so you won't get too confused. JunShua, WonShua and CheolSoo already appeared :) I cannot guarantee you all an even distribution of moments for each ship. And I cannot guarantee you all a happy ending *maybe I'm lying, who knows?* Btw, I am trying to step out of my comfort zone with the kissing stuff. Gosh, buckle your seatbelts. 

Please don't forget to subscribe/upvote~ and I'd appreciate if you will leave a feedback. 

Jisoo = the real one; the good one.

Joshua = the fake one; confidently daring. (Don't hate him so much)

< MrsHongJisoo >