Final

Discovery

Taeyong walked into the library, his bagpack hanging off his one shoulder as he headed towards his usual spot towards the back corner, where he could stay hidden but still watch everyone through the gaps where books had been taken from their shelves. He sighed as he plopped down, screwing his eyes shut as he leant back in the plush chair. His day had been tough from the moment he woke up that morning, and he wanted nothing more than for it to be finally over. Taeyong wasn't usually one for spending his down time in the library - he'd much rather be out doing something more fun with Jaehyun and Winwin. But ever since his mother saw his last school report a few months ago, he was sentenced to go to the library and study where he wouldn't be distracted until his grades went up again. It'd been weeks since he was getting the grades he needed, so why did he find himself still going to the little corner in the library? Before his daily visit, he didn't give a second thought to actually reading a book for fun, but now he found he couldn't stop himself from picking up another after he had finished his book of the week.

Taeyong slowly opened his eyes and brought out a book he was currently reading from his bag, flipping it open to where he left off. Reading was Taeyong's new method of escaping from the world, where he was able to forget about his worries and problems for a little while. Too engrossed in the story, he didn't hear the young librarian come in for his shift until he heard his soft chuckle fill the air at something his co-worker had told him. Taeyong immediately looked up, finding the librarian in the exact same spot he always found him in everyday. He stared at him, taking in the way his dark red hair bounced as he shook his head, how his bright smile lit up the rest of his face and made his dark eyes crinkle ever so slightly. The librarian moved to the returns trolley and began making his rounds as Taeyong tore his gaze off him back to his book, trying to look as normal as possible.

A short while later, he finished his book and returned it back to its place on the shelf before picking up another book that took his interest, but as he sat back down his attention was directed back onto the librarian. Taeyong opened the book to a random page as he settled back down into his seat, his gaze zoning in on the librarian. The librarian's smile had since vanished as he concentrated on where each book he held went, the ghost of a smile gracing his lips as he came across a book he liked himself. His top slid up slightly to reveal a strip of his right side everytime he reached up to return a book to one of the higher shelves, causing Taeyong to blush at the sight. He glanced over to Taeyong, a slight tint colouring his cheeks and a shy smile appearing on his face as Taeyong quickly darted his eyes back down to the book in his hands, his face and neck turning a deep shade of red. The librarian walked over to him, coughing to gain his attention once he was stood close enough. Taeyong looked up at him shyly, his eyes wide. He saw me. He definately saw me. There was no way he didn't see mehe thought to himself. 

"You realise your book is upside down right?" The librarian said, giving Taeyong a lopsided smile as Taeyong's mouth fell open and he turned an even deeper shade of red.

"I-I wasn't.. I was looking at my phone..." Taeyong stuttered out, waving the phone that was previously sat in his lap in front of the boy in front of him. The librarian gave a sound of acknowledgement before shooting one last friendly smile at Taeyong and walking away, causing Taeyong's speeding heart to beat even faster. 

"Oh by the way, that book is really good, you have good taste!" the librarian said suddenly, turning round quickly to face Taeyong once again, this time with wide eyes as if he couldn't believe he actually managed to speak to the white haired boy that he always saw sat in the corner by himself.

"Thank you," Taeyong said simply as he gave a small smile. "Have you uh, read any of her other work?" Now was his chance. He was at least going to find out what the librarian's name was by the end of the day. 

"As a matter of fact I have!" The librarian said as his friendly grin rece again, calming Taeyong's nerves. "She's one of my favourite authors actually." Taeyong's smile grew wider.

"Seriously? Me too!" He said as the librarian let out a short chuckle. "I'm ah, I'm Taeyong by the way. Lee Taeyong" 

"Taeil." The boy said in return, ducking his head down to the floor, trying to hide the joy that was slowly making itself evident on his face. "Moon Taeil."

From then on, whenever Taeyong walked into the library, he would be greeted warmly by Taeil, a cup of hot tea already sitting on the small table next to his usual seat. Taeil would wander over to have a chat with him about his book, his day, anything that sprung to mind. On quieter days, Taeil would join Taeyong with his own book and two fresh cups of tea for the both of them until he was needed back at the main desk. The boys sitting in a comfortable silence, not paying much attention to each other, just happy they were in each others' presence. Soon, Taeil was all Taeyong could think about and all Taeil could think about was Taeyong. Jaehyun groaned at lunch one day as Taeyong brought up Taeil once again.

"Dude, why don't you just ask him out already?" Jaehyun said as he downed the rest of his drink. Taeyong narrowed his eyes and frisbeed a cookie his way, which Jaehyun caught neatly and ate. Winwin laughed and turned to Taeyong, giving his friend an encouraging smile.

"Look, we know you don't think he likes you," he started, earning a judging look from Jaehyun which he ignored. "But how do you know he doesn't like you if you don't at least try?" Taeyong knew his friend was right, but still he sighed and looked down at the food he was tearing up in his hands.

"I'd rather not know than say something that could stop him from talking to me ever again." He said softly, dropping the food onto the table. Winwin gave him a soft sad smile, patting his hand gently before moving the conversation on to a lighter subject to try and take Taeyong's mind off the possibility of Taeil never speaking to him again. It came as no use though, as the idea played on Taeyong's mind for the rest of the day. What if by going to the library everyday I'm annoying Taeil? But the tea and the chats... no. He probably just feels he has to do that now you forced him into a conversation that day. Stupid stupid stupid.Taeyong's worries grew more and more extreme the more he mulled over Moon Taeil. He bit down on his lip, trying not to make his friends aware of how sad he was currently feeling. He decided to skip the library that night, not wanting to burden Taeil once again.

Taeil's eyes darted from the clock to the doors when it was time for Taeyong to walk into the library. 5, 10, 20 minutes had passed, Taeil's happiness dropping lower and lower with every second he didn't see Taeyong. When it finally came to him being an hour late, Taeil came to the realisation that he wasn't turning up today, and soon sat down behind the desk, his eyes glued to the untouched tea that sat waiting for Taeyong. Worry started to override his thoughts. What if he'd been coming on too strong? What if he doesn't like Taeil back? For all Taeil knew, he could be into girls, he could already be in a relationship. Taeil slumped down in his seat, only moving when someone needed help at the desk.

Taeyong avoided the library for the next week, instead spending more time with Winwin and Jaehyun, but the more he stayed away from Taeil and the library the worse he felt. Jaehyun had finally had enough. 

"Taeyong, you can't just ignore him forever." he stated out of the blue one day as Taeyong once again zoned out of the current conversation. Taeyong snapped his head up, his eyes wide. Winwin sighed.

"We can see you miss him," Winwin said carefully. "I'm sure he misses you too, ok?" Taeyong groaned, closing his eyes.

"I really like him..." he said quietly. Jaehyun cooed, earning a flick from Winwin. Winwin smirked at Taeyong. 

"Well then, we need to come up with a way to see if he like you back." Winwin said sneakily, already starting to brainstorm ideas with Jaehyun whilst Taeyong sat their watching them conspire. 

Taeil was in no better shape. With everyday that Taeyong didn't turn up, Taeil's mood dropped lower and lower. Mark, a regular in the library and a close friend of Taeil caught onto the shift in his mood over the past few days. Frustrated at the older boy he sighed.

"Hyung, if you miss him that much, why don't you just message him, see where he's been?" Mark said, not taking his eyes off the computer screen he was working at. Taeil sighed as he leaned against the wall. 

"It's not as easy as that," he grumbled. "If I do that I'll look clingy. What if I've already been too clingy and that's why he's avoiding me? If I message him I'll just push him further away." Mark stopped tapping at the keyboard and turned to look up at him.

"I bet you a chocolate bar you wrote a list of pros and cons of messaging him." Mark said abruptly, holding his hand out waiting for Taeil to agree to the bet just for Taeil to slap his hand away and turn to look at the opposite wall with a blush creeping onto his cheeks. Mark laughed. "I knew it. Listen, just message the guy to see if he's still alive. If he ignores you then he ignores you. Move on. He's not worth it. If he replies, then great. Just do something, moping around here all day isn't going to get you anywhere." Taeil frowned in annoyance, but soon softened as he realised his friend was right.

"I guess you're right," he sighed. "Are you nearly done? It's closing time." Mark nodded and packed up as Taeil started to make sure everything inside was closed up, locking the doors as they both left the building. "I'll see you tomorrow?" He called to Mark who started walking in the direction of his house.

"Yeah yeah," Mark called, not looking behind him. He his heel. "Moon Taeil, if you don't message him tonight I swear to God I will message him myself!" he shouted.

"Lee Minhyung if you DARE message him I will get Donghyuck to roast you to the grave!" Taeil shot back, earning a laugh from Mark as he walked away. Taeil managed to get down two blocks before he heard someone shouting his name faintly.

"TAEIL WAIT!" He spun round, trying to locate the person who wanted his attention so badly. A familar white haired boy was sprinting towards him, his coat whipping out behind him like a cape, carrying something tightly in his arms.

"Taeyong?" Taeil said as the boy drew closer. Taeyong came to a stop in front of him, panting heavily, his face red and eyes wide, his grip still vice-like on the book he was holding.

"I wanted... to catch you... at the library... before it closed," he managed to spit out between breaths. He took a moment to get his breathing back under control, then held out the book that he was holding in his arms. "Here. Read this when you get home. Once you've read it, come find me." And with that, Taeyong his heel and sprinted back in the direction he came from.

"Taeyong, wait!" Taeil called to try and stop the boy, ask him why he has to read the book, ask him where he's been for the past week, but Taeyong ignored him and just kept gunning forwards. Taeil looked down in confusion at the book in his hands, wondering why Taeyong had given him a book that was written in English, then tucked it into his messenger bag as he finished his journey home. 

"Ah Taeil, I was wondering where you had gotten to," his mother said as he walked into the house, still busy away cooking the dinner. Taeil smiled and he gave her a kiss on cheek.

"Sorry eomma, I got stuck with locking up the library." he explained. His mother nodded in acknowledgement, shooting a smile towards him. "I have some work to finish off and I need to quickly see a friend later on, is it ok if I eat with appa when he returns?" His mother smiled coyly.

"Is this friend you need to see Taeyong?" she enquired, still keeping her eyes on the food. A blush crept up Taeil's neck.

"M-maybe," he sputtered as his mother laughed. 

"Of course my dear," she said. Taeil smiled, hugging his mother's shoulders. "Just don't stay out too late!" Taeil nodded and headed to his room, sitting in his desk chair and immediately pulled out the book and flipped to the first page. A small white piece of paper fell out into his lap.

"Read the highlighted words?" Taeil read out loud looking confused. He flipped through the book slowly, reading out each highlighted word as he came across it. "Will... You... Be... My... Boyfriend...?" Taeil reread the sentence he had formed, before dropping the book onto the floor, another note slipping out from the back. He hurriedly picked it up, seeing two neatly drawn boxes with a sentence written just above them.

Well? Tick yes or no:

Taeil grabbed a pen and quickly ticked the yes box before sprinting out of the house, note still in hand. Once you've read it, come find me. Taeyong's words from earlier echoed in his head. Where could he mean? Taeil headed towards the library, desperately trying to think of all of the places Taeyong had mentioned to him in the past few weeks. Taeil stopped as he got to the end of the road. The park. He had to get to the park. Taeyong always told him about his adventures that he went on at the park right at the edge of town when he was a child. It was the only place he could think of Taeyong going to to do something like this.

Taeyong was sat down under the tree he had climbed countless times in the past, his elbows resting on his knees as he held his head in his hands. The panic had soon set in. What if he didn't read it? What if he didn't feel that way towards him? What if he doesn't turn up? What if he doesn't know where I am? Different scenarios had played out in his head as he waited for Taeil to come. He sighed, resting his head against the tree as he closed his eyes. 

Taeil saw Taeyong sitting under the tree when he arrived, sprinting even faster to close the distance between them. Taeyong opened his eyes as he heard Taeil's shoes crunch the leaves under his feet, soon springing up, his heart pounding as he watched him draw closer. Taeil stopped just in front of Taeyong, panting just as heavily as Taeyong had been as he held out the slightly crumpled note to Taeyong. Taeyong frantically unfurled the note and took in Taeil's response. He said yes. He said yes. He said yes. kept repeating in Taeyong's head, keeping him frozen in place. 

"Taeyong?" Taeil said softly, causing Taeyong to whip his head up and meet Taeil's gaze. Taeil took in the boy's features. The setting sun gave his white hair an orange tinge, his sharp facial features and tanned skin glowing as he stared wide eyed at Taeil. He looked ethereal. Taeil took a tentative step forward. Taeyong snapped out of his daze and psuhed forward into Taeil, his hands cupping his cheeks softly as crashed their lips together. Taeil was shocked by the sudden movement, but soon kissed back, snaking his arms around Taeyong's waist to pull him closer. Taeyong pulled away, still keeping a tight hold on Taeil's face as the boys both smiled happily at each other. 

"I love you," Taeyong blurted out, causing Taeil's smile to widen, his grip on Taeyong's waist tightening.

"You have no idea how long I've waited for you to say that," Taeil whispered, closing his eyes as he leant his forehead against Taeyong's. He placed a short, sweet kiss on Taeyong's lips once again. "I love you too, Lee Taeyong."