Chapter 1

Chocolady

The café where Moonbyul worked was always filled with the artsy types; writers, hipsters, artists, all seeking their caffeine fixes, desperately chasing after some idea they minds have locked behind the mundane bars of real life.

Moonbyul was used to people who were hardly present, their minds always fixated on work. She was merely a distraction, a necessary evil in their day to day lives. Moonbyul didn’t mind, in fact she kind of preferred it. She fit in with them, her silver-dyed hair and masculine - leaning clothes were the least novel thing in this café. Plus, she had always been a people-watcher and it was so much easier to watch others when they were barely aware of your existence.

That’s why Solar was stood out from everyone else.

The moment she stepped into the café, Moonbyul’s eyes were drawn to her. It wasn’t the long brown hair that framed her face beautifully or the dazzling smile. It was her eyes. Moonbyul couldn’t really explain it. But one look and Moonbyul knew that unlike the other caffeine addicts here, Solar was … present.

“Hi,” Moonbyul managed to squeeze out one word before Solar’s flowery scent reached. went dry and she struggled to form a coherent thought other then wondering what would running her hands through Solar’s hair feel like. “Uh, welcome to Blitz. Can-can I get your order? “

There was that dazzling smile. “Hey there, can I get a coffee, black please?” Solar somehow managed to smile while talking, which Moonbyul found enchanting. Her coffee order was surprising, Moonbyul had pegged her for a frappe or iced tea type – which the elitist coffee drinkers in the café always looked down on.

“Sure, coming right up, miss …?” Getting customer names along with their orders wasn’t exactly a thing Blitz does. They usually just do it for regulars but Moonbyul figured there couldn’t be any harm. This girl could become a regular, you never knew right?

“Ah, just put Solar down, that’ll work.” Solar smiled again, meeting Moonbyul’s eyes directly. Moonbyul, flustered by the direct eye contact, turned her attention to the cash register. The noises of the machine seemed unbearably loud as she punched in the order. Getting the coffee was easy enough; the order was simple as they came. It wasn’t long before Moonbyul was handing a cup of their strongest to Solar. She focused on Solar’s face, trying to commit it to memory before the girl disappeared with her order.

“So, I guess the morning rush is over, huh?” Solar waved her free hand vaguely around the café. Moonbyul looked around. Most of their patrons were seated and there weren’t anymore customers waiting in line.

“Yeah, things usually get quiet about this time.” Solar nodded absently. She didn’t seem to be going anywhere as she sipped her coffee at the counter, leaning closer to Moonbyul casually.

“So you have time to talk, I guess?” Solar drummed her fingers on the counter. Moonbyul noticed that Solar seemed to be avoiding her eyes and was now intently staring at her coffee.“The thing is, I am new in the area and I just started at the uni here. I was just wondering if you knew anyone friendly that could show me around. If it isn’t too much trouble, I mean. I figured, who better to ask then the baristas in the area you know, since everyone here seems to love their cafes –“

“I can do it.” Moonbyul interrupted Solar mid-ramble. Her eyes widened at Moonbyul’s reply.

“Are you serious? I wouldn’t want to be a bother.” Solar bit her lip anxiously.

“Seriously, it’s no big deal. My shift ends at 2, are you willing to wait?” Moonbyul blurted the words out quickly. She didn’t like seeing Solar anxious, not when smiling suited her so well. Plus, she really was free. “I’ve lived here my whole life, you wouldn’t find a better guide anywhere.”

There was that smile again. Solar thanked Moonbyul again, reaching over the counter to give her hands a squeeze. She left with a promise to return in a couple of hours.

Moonbyul watched her go, the touch of her hands still warm on Moonbyul’s skin.