Call me Doctor Kang

The Queen and I (Descendants of the Sun)

Chapter 2

"Mo-Yeon, here's the advisor I've been telling you about," It's only been a few words but Mo-Yeon's lips starts to turn into a scowl. "Wipe that expression from your face, Mo-Yeon, it's improper for a queen to act like a brat. He's come from all over the world but thanks to our chief of royal police, he has agreed to come back and serve the Kingdom of Urk. Captain, please introduce yourself."

Mo-Yeon looks at the man in front of her and starts chewing on her lower lip. He looks vaguely familiar but couldn't quite put a name or a memory to his face. His face was young, beautiful, but it looked to Mo-Yeon that he's been through a lot. There's wisdom lurking behind his gentle eyes, and a certain commanding brute to his aura, similar to Myeong-Joo's. Their eyes interlock as the man bows to her and kisses her knuckles.

"Okay, you're a gentleman, that's great. Who are you?" Mo-Yeon snaps at him impatiently. Immediately, she knew she wouldn't get along with him.

The man smirks and puts his hand to his temple in a salute. "I've last been destined at the Republic of Korea, serving as a consultant directly to President Kim Dae-Hwan. Captain Yoo Shi-Jin, your highness, at your service."

"At ease, captain." Mo-Yeon offers a single nod, eyeing Yoo Shi-Jin carefully.

Myeong-Joo rests her weight on one leg, one hand resting on her waist, not minding the generals still lurking around the room. "Captain Yoo Shi-Jin served as Her Excellency Queen Ah In's Chief of Royal Police five years ago. He's been sent to our various neighboring allies to act on behalf of Urk, and also, at times, as consultant and aid."

Mo-Yeon is usually very comfortable around military men, growing up surrounded by them. But for some odd reason, she could not sit as comfortably in front of this Yoo Shi-Jin. She already heard his name before from Myeong-Joo and her defence minister Mr. Lee Jong Hyuk, but she has never really paid attention to half the things they say.

"I've been sent by Her late Excellency Queen Ah-In to Great Britan in 2008, and then was transferred to the Kingdom of Netherlands in 2009. After Her Excellency passed on in 2009, I was instructed by the defence minister and the commander-in-chief to continue aiding our allies in behalf of the crown. I also served as an advisor and aid to His Majesty King Norodom Sihamoni of the Kingdom of Cambodia in 2010, and then shortly, trained royal troops for the late King George Tupou V of the Kingdom of Tonga. Before my assignment at the Republic of Korea, I've also served shortly for our allies in Europe, Middle East, and Asia," Yoo Shi Jin explains.

"Okay so you've met all them big names. I have, too," Mo-Yeon's eyes narrow at Yoo Shi-Jin, and then she turns to Myeong-Joo. "So what exactly do we need him for here in Urk, then?"

Myeong-Joo groans and grabs a chair beside Mo-Yeon. The generals have all left the conference room and it's just the three of them and a couple of servants cleaning up what's left in the room. She rests her chin on an elbow propped on the table and says in a bored voice, "I'm exhausted, Mo-Yeon, honestly. I've been your commander-in-chief and captain of the royal guards for four years now. I could really use some help and Yoo Shi-Jin here has been very kind to return to Urk to serve your royal pain in the ^ss."

Shi-Jin crosses his arms across his chest and smiles, leaning on Myeong-Joo's seat. "I have a very small paycheck, you won't even feel it, your highness."

Mo-Yeon glares at Shi-Jin. I don't like him already, she tries to signal to Myeong-Joo.

Myeong-Joo sighs and stands up. "So we good, here?"

Mo-Yeon abruptly rises from her seat. "What? Wait! I haven't said yes!"

"Captain Yoo Shi-Jin will be starting today. He'll be acting as the new Captain of the Royal Guards, with Seo Dae-Young as his Chief of Royal Police," Myeong-Joo says with finality. "By the way, I just fired Dong-Gyu yesterday. He's sleeping around and I don't like it. So Shi-Jin will also be acting now as your new executive advisor, too. He said he's also willing to babysit you instead of me so that's that. I'll let the budget ministry know they can deduct Shi-Jin's pay from mine, I don't need all of that money, anyway, it's not like I have a boyfriend."

Before Mo-Yeon can say anything, Myeong-Joo pinches both of her cheeks and marches out of the conference room, leaving her with her new captain-slash-advisor-slash-babysitter. "I took the rest of the day off, don't look for me!" Myeong-Joo calls out before her footsteps can no longer be heard from the conference room.

Mo-Yeon slumps back resignedly to her seat and pouts. Shi Jin looks at her and crouches so his face is level with hers. "Myeong-Joo says I should call you Doctor Kang."

"You can call me your highness, like everyone else," Mo-Yeon snaps at him, avoiding his eyes. "And just so you know, I don't need your help."

"Doctor Kang, it is then." Shi-Jin smiles and stands up. At the corner of her eye, Mo-Yeon watches Shi-Jin as he whips a smartphone from his pocket and stares at it intently. "You know, you can skip lunch and just let your budget mistress meet the business folks. You can then meet the education minister and budget mistress at the same time at four."

"Where did you get my schedule?" Mo-Yeon asks, her tone rising. She stands up from her seat. Although that sounds like a great plan.

"Min-Ji has synched her calendar with mine," Shi-Jin says proudly, showing the phone to Mo-Yeon.

Mo-Yeon glares at him and tries to snatch the smartphone but Shi-Jin quickly tossed the phone into the air. As if time slowed down, Mo-Yeon watched the phone rise in the air and fall into the other hand of Shi-Jin behind his back. "Personal property, Doctor Kang."

"You shouldn't talk to your queen like that."

"I probably shouldn't." Shi-Jin nods.

Mo-Yeon scowls at Shi-Jin's face and heads for the door. Shi-Jin chuckles to himself and follows Mo-Yeon out of the conference room, his other hand still playing mindlessly with the smartphone.

xxxxxx

"Your majesty, I think you'll find that you'll have more use for me here than thousands of miles away."

The day was quite nice and Ah-In was enjoying her afternoon tea in the garden. Across her sat Yoo Shi-Jin, the Chief of the Royal Police, and Yoo Sung-Jin, Captain of the Royal Guards and Shi-Jin's father. Ah-In silently brought the cup to her lips as she watched Shi-Jin try to get out of his new assignment.

"You're being ill-mannered, Shi-Jin." Sung-Jin sent a disapproving look towards his son. "Her majesty the Queen and I have talked about this in great length."

Shi-Jin never easily backed down and getting sent away was not one of the options he would easily take. "Your majesty, with all due respect—"

"Shi-Jin, my dearest chief, you have been like a son to me. And I understand you would want to stay here in Urk," Ah-In says with a kind smile, her hand reaching out to Shi-Jin's across the table. Ah-In was known all over the Urk as the Gentle Queen and it was sure a befitting title; no one can resist her when she's asking so nicely. "But I can't afford to send just anyone on behalf of the Crown. You have been one of my most faithful, smartest, and bravest officers. But your father and I have agreed that you need more experience; you need to see more and know more before you can succeed Sung-Jin. And Sung-Jin is getting old, too!" Ah-In chuckles discreetly. "When I am gone, and old Sung-Jin, too, you will take good care of my Mo-Yeon, won't you?"

"Please don't talk like that, Your Majesty," Shi-Jin lowered his gaze.

"Fate could not be escaped, as is death," Ah-In said silently. "This journey will not only bring Urk pride and more allies, but also help you become the man you are destined to be."

"You always know the most beautiful words to say." Shi-Jin says resignedly, a sad but gentle smile creeping onto his lips.

"It is impossible for the Queen to know everything. But it is the Queen's job to know the right words to say, always," Ah-In gives Shi-Jin's hand a gently squeeze.

"You'll make us proud, Yoo Shi-Jin."