Chapter Two: A Low Blow

Observing Lee Sungyeol

“Lee Sungyeol what do you mean you almost had with Pretty Boy the Ex in his car?!”

 

“I texted you about it hyung. You can read right?” Sungyeol answered without taking his eyes off the tv screen.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, how typical of Sungyeol, turned his eyes back to his phone to scroll up to where Sungyeol’s chain of text messages began. He paid attention to the messages this time around and found himself amused, frustrated, and mildly disappointed all at once.

Hyung!!!

You should REALLY pick me up right now

Like RIGHT now

I WILL do something that I will regret

Sunggyu Hyung!

GYU HYUNG!

He saw me at work

He got me a drink and he took me to his car

I almost had with Myungsoo

It got really bad

If I didn't snap out of it and bite him we would've

Like it WAS that bad

It's your fault

If you just looked at your phone this could've been avoided

You COULD'VE helped

I'm burning up

It's super cold out here but I feel so hot because of what happened

He wanted to take me home

Could you imagine what would happen if he took me home?!

Nothing good

If we even made it home

Are you even reading these?!

 

Are you asleep?!

 

You lazy bum!!

Ugh

 

You better come soon
 

Hyung
 

Sunggyu
 

Come
 

Pick
 

Me
 

Up
 

God
 

Damn
 

It
 

I'm
 

Getting
 

Sleepy
 

I'm
 

Going
 

To
 

Sleep
 

On
 

The
 

Street
 

If
 

You
 

Don't
 

Come
 

Pick
 

Me
 

Up
 

I
 

Even
 

Have
 

Your
 

Fav
 

Drink
 

Ready
 

If
 

That
 

Will
 

Make
 

You
 

Come
 

And
 

Get
 

Me
 

You
 

Sleepy
 

Head
 

Okay
 

Now
 

I
 

Am
 

Getting
 

Cold
 

I've been
 

Sitting
 

Outside
 

For
 

Like
 

20
 

Mins
 

Now
 

Why
 

Aren't
 

You
 

Here
 

Yet
 

Hyung
 

Sunggyu Hyungie

“Next time you better call me hyung every time you say my name Sungyeol. And lazy bum? I pay half our rent. That’s rude.” Sunggyu complained and locked his phone. He had no desire to see Sungyeol’s million messages about his encounter with his ex.

“You weren’t answering hyung. What else was I supposed to say! You didn’t answer until I called you so clearly sleep was more important than your favorite roommate."

“You’re right, sleep is more important and I wouldn’t say you’re my favorite.”

 

“I’m your only roommate.”

 

“Doesn’t mean you’re my favorite.”

They sat in silence after that. Sungyeol still watching the movie, admittedly not as avidly as before, and Sunggyu just staring at the bright green cactus painting Sungyeol had fought tooth and nail to hang on their living room wall.

“Okay but you didn’t have with him in the end right?” Sunggyu asked and tore his gaze away from the cactus to face his roommate of years.

Sungyeol hummed in response and looked away from the tv to give Sunggyu a smile that looked suspiciously like a smirk.

“You sounded panicked on the phone. Now it’s almost as if you wouldn’t mind meeting up with Myungsoo again. You do realize this is the same guy who stood you up 9 times out of 10 and never answered your phone calls or messages.” Sunggyu pointed out and waited for his roommate to say something in response to that.

The Sungyeol and Myungsoo relationship had been a whirlwind he hadn’t enjoyed really being a part of at times. Especially when they ended their dates with loud arguments about Myungsoo teasing too much and Sungyeol having no real self-control. The door slams always echoed through the apartment and ruined Sunggyu’s focus. He was torn away from his thoughts by his roommate’s reply.

“Yeah but it's not like I stopped loving him and it's been two years. He seems like he’s changed.” And there it was: the lovestruck tone that Sunggyu had become well acquainted with over the years and had only stopped hearing after the break up two years ago.

“So just because it’s been two years and he seems like he’s changed you want to get with him again? Just because people seem like they’ve changed doesn’t mean they actually have. Take Nam Woohyun for example, he was briefly a decent person but that turned out to be a bust. Are you sure Myungsoo has actually changed?”

Sungyeol paused the movie and slammed his right hand down on the couch hard. The sound echoed around the otherwise quiet apartment and Sunggyu raised an eyebrow at that.

“You don’t get to compare Myungsoo to him! Myungsoo is a million times better than Nam Woohyun will ever be.” Sungyeol said before glaring and turning away from Sunggyu with a quiet huff.

“We aren’t talking about Nam Woohyun--”

“You’re the one who brought him into this conversation hyung. Myungsoo is nothing like him and you should know better than to bring that jerk into this.”

“Fine. I started that but seriously would Kim Myungsoo ever change? He promised you so many times to be better and he never changed or did you forget that part?”

“Did you forget the part where Nam trash promised to be a faithful boyfriend and then never was?”

“We’re not having this conversation Lee Sungyeol.” Sunggyu got up from his armchair and glared at his roommate because that had certainly been over the line. They’d agreed to leave that mistake buried in the past and for the younger to bring it back up so easily was practically unforgivable. He took his phone with him and headed down the short hall to his bedroom. The door slammed shut with a loud bang and a minute or two later the sound of the movie resuming could be heard through the walls.