Chapter One: Text Messages

Observing Lee Sungyeol

I know I’ve been gone a long time, but

I’m back and I want what is mine

I know I’ve been gone a long time…

 

Sunggyu groaned, rolled around in his sheets in an effort to fall asleep again, and gave up almost as soon as he began rolling around. Sungyeol cleaning up the apartment Saturday mornings was always the same: loud music that managed to jar him from his precious sleep and kept him from falling back asleep. Sunggyu groaned more loudly than the first time and rose from his bed reluctantly.

 

“Yah! Turn that noise off!” He yelled before throwing himself into his pillow.

 

The music if anything got louder and Sunggyu began contemplating how fast he’d die if he threw himself out of his second story window. Anything would be better than listening to Sungyeol’s loud nonsense. But on second thought Sunggyu’s bed was entirely too comfy and warm to leave. He’d just go deaf instead.

 

~~

 

“You know hyung, it’s nice to smile occasionally.” Sungyeol said with a teasing smile as he pushed a plate of scrambled eggs towards Sunggyu.  

 

“You know it’s nice to sleep in on Saturday mornings Sungyeollie.” Sunggyu replied with a sarcastic smile before viciously snatching up a clean pair of chopsticks off the table to eat his eggs.

 

“Well anyway...I got called into work because apparently Kyungil caught a cold. I’ll be out all day hyung.”

 

“Oh. That’s great. Actually that’s fantastic. A whole day without your loud noises and pestering. Wah, what have I done in past lives to deserve this reward?” Sunggyu asked the heavens and the younger of the two rolled his eyes before digging into his own breakfast.

 

“Oh and by the way I need you to give me a ride hyung.”

 

“The coffee shop is like down the street Sungyeol.”

 

“And you know how many people leer over this?” Sungyeol said while using one of his hands to gesture at his long and gangly body. Sunggyu snorted and chose not to answer in favor of finishing his eggs.

 

“Whatever.”

 

~~

After dropping Sungyeol off at the coffee shop Sunggyu returned to the apartment to glorious silence that made him sign in contentment. Don’t get him wrong there were times when Sungyeol actually managed to be tolerable but more often than not the loud junior was a headache for Sunggyu. Senior year of university was stressful enough but combined with a childish roommate/friend like Lee Sungyeol it could become unbearable at times. So Sunggyu cherished these stolen moments of peace in their apartment.

He discarded his shoes by the door before padding towards his bedroom with the sole intention of letting his bed and comfy sheets lull him back to sleep. However as he threw off his coat his phone buzzed in his pocket and he lazily reached for the device. The screen was lit up with a series of messages from his roommate. The phone was still buzzing as more messages came in, no doubt Sungyeol was sending one worded text messages, and Sunggyu sighed before dropping the phone on his night stand and throwing himself in bed.

 

Sleep stole him away and he drifted through silly dreams for hours before the buzzing of his phone became unbearable again. Except this time the buzzing last longer and happened more often almost like a phone call. Wait was his phone ringing? Sunggyu reached over to grab his phone from the bedside table and blearily eyed the screen before sliding the green answer button across his screen to answer.

“Wha?”

“Oh my god hyung how could you ignore me like that! I’ve been trying to talk to you since like a million years ago. Answer the phone! What’s the point of having a phone if you don’t answer? You know not everyone has a phone. It’s a privilege and you’re taking it for gran--”

 

“What do you want Sungyeol?” Sunggyu cut in before the younger could continue his rant about phones and privileges.

 

“Come get me hyung! It’s been hours since you dropped me off. It’s dark outside.” Sungyeol whined into the phone and Sunggyu wondered why he was such a good person as he got out of his bed to pick up his stupid roommate.

 

“You better have my favorite drink waiting or I’m leaving you there Lee Sungyeol.”

 

~~

Much later, alright two hours later, Sungyeol was sprawled on the couch in the living room avidly watching Bambi for the millionth time. The younger claimed it was his favorite movie and that he learned a new lesson every time he watched it even though all Sunggyu saw him do was sob his eyes out by the end. Sungyeol always sobbed by the end and mumbled something about love triumphing over everything or some other nonsense. Who even understood what went through Lee Sungyeol’s head?

 

Sunggyu was relaxing in his favorite comfy armchair and scrolling through his phone in the living room. He clicked open his text messages with Sungyeol open to clear the notification and began scrolling. By the time he reached the bottom of the messages his eyes were as wide as they could be and he was speechless.

 

On second thought--

 

“Lee Sungyeol what do you mean you almost had with Pretty Boy the Ex in his car?!”