Sparks

Sparks

Joshua checked his phone for the tenth time today after getting home. Nothing. He sighed, a heavy feeling forming on his chest. It’s already December 31st. His birthday just ended and you haven’t greeted him yet.

This morning, he woke up earlier than usual. Maybe it’s because of the special performance they’ve prepared tonight. Maybe.

He checked his phone again, hoping that you called while he was sleeping. Instead, there was nothing. A sigh escaped his lips. Of course you wouldn’t. He slept at 2 AM this morning. You would’ve probably been asleep earlier than that.

Joshua placed his phone down and started gathering his clothes before washing up. “She’ll call. She’ll call,” he said to himself.

-

Joshua sat in front of the mirror, staring blankly at his reflection. Still nothing from you. Not even a text message.

“Shua. You okay?”

His eyes shifted on the other reflection behind him and returned a small smile. “Yeah.”

Jeonghan sighed and folded his arms. “Is it y/n? Has she called yet?”

He took his eyes off of Jeonghan and glanced at his phone. He shook his head. “I’m sure she has a reason.”

Jeonghan pursed his lips before clapping a hand on Joshua’s shoulder and walked away.

Joshua looked back at the mirror, waiting for the stylists to do his hair and make-up when his phone rang, making him nervous all of a sudden. Finally. It was you.

“Hey!”

“Hey Josh? Can we meet tonight? I have something to tell you.”

The tone of your voice made his chest tighten. There was something wrong. And it wasn’t even the type of conversation he hoped for. “Tonight? We’ll be performing tonight, remember?” he said, trying not to sound cold but secretly hoping you noticed. Normally, special dates don’t really bother him, nor did he treated them as a big deal. But somehow these days, he’s really been anticipating to celebrate his birthday. He didn’t asked for much, seeing as both of you were busy; a simple greeting would do, just like last year.

December 31st exactly a year ago, he met you. He was out with the members, buying things for their New Year’s celebration and all that was left was the cake. He went to a bakery with Seungkwan and was relieved to see there was one cake left. That is until he saw the employee take it out of the fridge and into a box.

“Thank you!” you said, handing the cashier your payment.

“Was that the last one?” Seungkwan asked the employee.

“Yes. Our delivery truck had problems on the way. It would take a while. We’re sorry.”

Seungkwan pouted. “That . And I was thinking we could celebrate your birthday for the second time, hyung.”

“On second thought, can I maybe just have these cupcakes instead?” you asked, pointing at a box of mini cupcakes in the display fridge.

The cashier looked at you as if you just asked her if she has the ability to fly.

“Then we’ll buy the cake!” Seungkwan piped up.

You turned to him and smiled.

“Okay,” the cashier said, getting the box of macarons and returning your money. “I’ll be charging it to you then,” she said, looking at Seungkwan and Joshua.

“Ah yes,” Joshua said, pulling the money from his pocket and handed it to her.

You watched as Seungkwan danced cutely at the counter as he received the box of cake, thanking the cashier and headed out first.

Joshua waited for the receipt and turned to you. “Thank you for giving us the cake.”

You blinked, your eyes widening. “You knew?”

Joshua nodded and smiled. “It was pretty obvious for me.”

“Well, I heard you were going to celebrate your birthday for the second time. And it’s New Year’s Eve. I want to end my year right by being nice,” you shrugged, a smug look on your face.

Joshua’s hand went over his mouth as he tried hiding a laugh. You felt your heart pound hard as you noticed how bright his eyes sparkled. How can someone look so cute and handsome at the same time?

“Then should I end my year too by being nice?”

“What do you mean?”

“Here you go,” the cashier said, handing Joshua the receipt.

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a few bills. “I’ll go and buy you a drink? It’s pretty cold,” he says, taking a glance outside the shop. The sun was out but seeing how Seungkwan was standing out there and rubbing his hands together, it did looked like it was freezing.

You pursed your lips and quirked an eyebrow. “Why not treat me on another day?”

Joshua blinked before smiling back. “Sure. Ah,” he went for his other pocket and pulled out his phone, opening his contacts before handing it to you.

You typed your number on his phone and saved it with your name.

“Y/n” he read out loud. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Joshua,” he said, offering his hand.

“Nice to meet you Joshua,” you took his hand and shook it. “Oh and happy birthday!”

“Well actually, my birthday was yesterday.”

“Belated happy birthday then,” you grinned.

“Hyung, it’s freezing!”

You turned to see Seungkwan who stuck his head inside, a frown on his face.

“Well then, see you,” Joshua smiled and waved.

“Bye!” You watched as he walked out with Seungkwan and disappeared before you heard someone clear their throat behind you.

“Your payment?” the cashier asked, a bored look on her face.

A year has passed and a lot has happened since then, mainly the two of you becoming friends and, well, something between friends and more than friends.

Recently though, it’s been a very busy time. He had these performances and practices and you had your hellish job. It was just so different from 12 months ago.

“Oh. Well, okay. I’ll cheer for you then,” you answered.

Joshua hummed a reply before hanging up.

The make-up stylist appeared. Joshua watched as she picked out the right colors that she’ll be using and started.

“Joshua-ssi, smile,” she requested as she applied a light blush on his cheeks before his smile disappeared. “Joshua-ssi,” she traced a smile on her face.

“Ah, more blush?” Joshua asked.

She shook her head. “If you smile, you’ll eventually feel happy. Try it.”

Joshua looked at her curiously before letting out a soft laugh. “Thank you.”

The make-up stylist smiled and left, leaving him staring into his reflection on the mirror again.

“Well,” he said, lifting the corners of his lips into a smile, “might as well.”

-

Joshua got off the van last and walked right after the others, his face tucked snugly behind his scarf when he bumped into someone. He looked up and saw the others crowded at the door.

“What is it?” he asked Hansol.

“We should be the one asking that,” Seungcheol said smiling, parting the way for Joshua to see.

You stood beside the door and smiled at him sheepishly.

“Tonight, you’re Joshderella but you can stay out only until 1 AM,” Seungcheol whispered, patting Joshua’s shoulder as he ushered the others inside.

“What – but it’s already 12:35?” he asked, though Seungcheol was already inside.

His gaze shifted on you. He watched as you walked towards him, your eyes avoiding his before finally meeting his eyes.

“It’s late,” he said simply.

“I know.”

A lone car passed, filling in the silence with it’s engine before it went silent again.

Joshua glanced behind you and saw a few people peeking from the window. He sighed and took your hand. “Let’s go somewhere else.”

-

“Have you been waiting long?”

You sniffed, rubbing your nose from the cold with your thumb. “Not much. I went after the program ended.”

“That was 30 minutes ago.”

You hung your head and sighed, kicking the thin sheet of snow beneath you. “Well, it wasn’t snowing until a few minutes earlier so it’s fine.”

Joshua’s mind went back to earlier. Though he wanted it before, he now felt guilty from acting cold. “You…you had something to say?”

“Yeah,” you turned and looked him in the eye. “Sorry I’ve been really busy these days. I’ve been working hard for this.” You grabbed your bag and pulled out a digital tuner and handed it to him. “Yours broke, right? This one’s durable and pretty pricey so you better take care of it. Belated happy birthday,” you smiled.

He took the tuner from your hands, his fingers lingering on yours briefly. “I…”

“I worked overtime last night. Sorry I wasn’t able to greet you on time.”

“No. It’s alright,” he said, examining the tuner, though his thoughts were on something else. “Thank you.”

“Ah!” You grabbed something else from your bag and pulled out a plastic bag. “You already celebrated New Year’s a while ago but,” you pulled out a lighter and two sparklers and handed one to him, “I…kind of…wanted to celebrate it with you too.”

Joshua smiled, taking the lighter from your hands and lit the sparklers. Looking at it, it was exactly how he felt. Whatever heavy feeling it was that’s been bothering him for the whole day dissolved into nothingness. Instead, bursts of joy filled him, glowing bright like the sparks before him.

“So, what’s your wish for 2017?” you asked, drawing patterns in the air with your sparkler.

“Hmm, besides everything that I wished for earlier?” He watched as gold sparks fly, mesmerized by the steady light. “Go out with me?”

You turned to him, blinking a few times. “What?”

“Go out with me.” He turned and met your eyes, a hopeful smile on his face.

The soft glow of the sparklers dimmed but his eyes remained sparkling brightly. You smiled at him and leaned close, planting a kiss on his cheek. “Wish granted.”