C stands for…

Cheesy Things

Otabek had been in an extremely good mood ever since the date began, that it surprised even himself. True, there were definitely moments where he felt that his shyness was showing a lot, but overall it felt really comfortable being around Lei. She looked great and the first thing Otabek noticed when he was saved from the rain on the sidewalk was how Lei liked keeping her hair in a ponytail and how well it suited her. It was hard not to find himself entranced as the night wore on, and he had to fight to keep from staring at Lei too much.

That, and Grand Prix Pizza had really good milkshakes. Chocolate is just the best.

Otabek also felt like his face has been a constantly blushing state ever since they got into Grand Prix Pizza too. There was the appearance of Lei's roommate, Yuri, and how blatantly he revealed that Lei actually talks about him and well, Lei doesn't really deny anything. That, and Lei had been spouting lines cheesier than their pizza and Otabek was both amused and thoroughly bashful at those words. It all still seemed too unreal.

However, if there was anything Otabek got from the time they spent together so far, it was that he had grown to like Lei. Or well, he had always subtly liked Lei or at least ended up crushing on her, but actually getting to know her more made him realize that Lei was honestly, a really great person. Like, really great, from her personality to even her looks, which was definitely a bonus. There was something about that ponytail. She had also been really sweet the whole night.

Otabek definitely had some sort of feelings for Lei. He's still on the fence about Lei liking him back too though, even with all the signs she had probably given him. He didn't want to jump to conclusions.

"Do you guys have any other orders?"

Otabek glanced to find that the waiter was not Yuri, but instead a girl with really long hair and with a wide grin on her face. She didn't have a name tag, which was what Otabek looked for first. She wasn't even in the uniform. Odd. Otabek decided to let Lei handle it, but was surprised to see that Lei was staring at the waitress with disbelief in her eyes, with something like a small smirk tugging at her lips. The latter shook her head after a few seconds of staring and focused back on Otabek, meeting his gaze.

"Do you want anything else?"

Otabek tried to ignore the nagging feeling he had that there was something going on between Lei and the unknown waitress that he didn't know about. It didn't feel very good. He distracted himself from the thought by staring at the nearly empty plates of pizza and fries on the table. His chocolate milkshake was long gone since he couldn't stop drinking it. Did he really want another milkshake? Would that be healthy?

"I think he wants another milkshake," the waitress spoke as if she read Otabek's mind, and Otabek found her smiling teasingly. She turned towards Lei, "ma’am, you should order your boyfriend another one."

Otabek's eyes bulged at the comment and he felt his face heating up again- he was ready to go ahead and deny that he was Lei's boyfriend, sure that she would do the same, but was surprised to find that instead of looking surprised, Lei was laughing. The same crisp, clear laugh she always had and that Otabek had grown to like listening to. The denial Otabek had got stuck in his throat, and ended up completely dying down when Lei spoke instead.

"Seems like a good idea," Lei grinned, amusement all over her face. "What do you say, Otabek? Another one since you liked it so much?"

"I'm not-- I mean, it's not really--" Otabek tried to stammer out, but to no avail because the only thing actually going on his mind was how Lei did not deny anything. Maybe she just chose to ignore it instead. That seemed more likely. And the chocolate milkshake was great, so. "Actually, sure. I would like another one."

"Great," the waitress smirked as she walked off.

Lei was shaking her head again as the waitress disappeared, which again managed to make Otabek feel like there was definitely something he was not getting.

Could it be a prank?

An elaborate date that will end with Otabek embarrassed and all of Grand Prix Pizza laughing at him? Lei must know the waitress somehow, right? Then, again if they did know each other, he would have been introduced by now. They didn't seem like they knew each other though. Well, they kind of did, but...

No, that was stupid. Otabek took one look at Lei's face- the smile that didn't go away, and her eyes that held such sincerity despite being such a tease the entire night- and that idea was as good as gone. So what was with the waitress?

"You must really like chocolate," Lei mused, snapping Otabek out from his thoughts.

Otabek nodded, thankful for the distraction, "yeah. Chocolate is the best."

"You are the best," Lei cheekily replied, succeeding in getting Otabek to laugh and blush all at the same time, for the umpteenth time that night. He really wished Lei would stop doing that but he also wished she wouldn't. It left Otabek all warm and tingly inside each time it happened, and he was worried for the sanity of his heart and mind.

Lei was still staring at him when Otabek turned his attention back.

"You blush easily too," Lei stated, a small smile on her lips.

Otabek, in response to that, blushed and looked away immediately, "I'm aware."

Otabek wasn't sure if he heard a very faint 'how cute' coming from Lei after the latter laughed, but he didn't dare ask about it. There was no way he would be called cute. Was there?

"Chocolate milkshake!"

This time it was Yuri again who showed up, and Otabek wasn't sure why he felt relieved at the sight of him. Yuri set the drink down in front of him, a pleased smile on his face.

"This one is on the house and will be taken from Lei's salary instead," Yuri said sweetly, making Lei hit his arm. Otabek laughed at the reaction.

"For the record, I will be paying for tonight anyway."

Otabek began to disagree but Lei cut him off and continued before he could.

"I asked you out, it's only right," Lei grinned.

Beside them, Yuri cooed, "awwww. That's so sweet, Lei, you're sweeter than the chocolate milkshake."

"You can go away again, Yuri."

Yuri skipped off, but not before giving the two a thumbs up, while Otabek was preparing himself to refuse Lei's offer to pay. He had his wallet with him for a reason. Just because this was a date doesn't mean only one person should pay. Also, when did he start admitting that this was a date?

"I can pay," Otabek started. "I still remember how you and Yuuri paid for me and my friends' pizza yesterday, I need to pay you back--"

Lei laughed in response, which was not really what Otabek expected. She grinned her usual cheeky grin, "it's fine, Otabek. I'm pretty sure Yuuri wanted to pay too since Viktor was there. Regardless, tonight is on me. Next time then?"

That was the second time that night Lei had mentioned the idea of a next time, and again, it made Otabek all giddy inside and he really hoped Lei didn't notice how he was almost about to smile and had to stop it by sipping on the milkshake. He nodded as he sipped, meeting Lei's gaze as he did so. And then Lei's eyes dipped lower- as if to stare at his lips, before moving back to his eyes. Otabek may or may not be imagining that Lei's face was suddenly flushed.

"Next time," Otabek finally replied, smiling teasingly himself.

Lei regained her composure and grinned, brushing a strand of her hair away from her face.

"Great."

Otabek hummed softly and looked around, as part of his 'I must not stare at Lei for too long' problem of the night. Just then, two other people sat at the table beside them- and one of them was the waitress from earlier, now without the apron over her clothes, and next to her was a familiar face. Otabek recognized her to be one of Phichit's other friends, Risu. To Otabek's surprise, Risu met his eyes as well and after a few seconds, a realization appeared on her face.

"You're Phichit's roommate!" Risu exclaimed, getting up from her seat to approach the table, while the girl she was with- the waitress from before who probably wasn't a waitress at all- was laughing out loud. "I had no idea you were the guy Lei told us about, wow, if I had only known--"

"Risu," Lei groaned before Otabek could react himself. "Why are all of you here?"

"Well, Shupp told me he was going to come over and since Yuri already technically worked here that meant I was the only one who was missing out on your date and I can't have that," Risu explained quickly, before turning back to Otabek. "Who knew it was you Lei was talking about this whole time? I haven't been over your dorm in awhile."

With the situation reaching a whole new level of confusing, Otabek found himself just nodding as he tried to understand everything. So the waitress earlier- Shupp, apparently- was also one of Lei's friends, no wonder she seemed so sly and teasing and why Lei was so surprised and reluctant to introduce her. Risu here was also friends with Lei, while also being one of Phichit's friends from somewhere. She had been around their dorm a few times. Otabek wasn't paying attention to Lei complain about her friends being all over the place until Shupp walked over.

"Is the chocolate shake really that good?" Shupp asked, pointing to Otabek's nearly empty glass.

"It is," Otabek replied, still a bit dumbstruck.

Lei sighed loudly.

"Guys," she whined, eyeing the two standing figures. "Can't I enjoy my date in peace?"

Risu grinned, "I'm gonna eat here first. Right there, right beside you guys."

Risu and Shupp shuffled back to the table, grinning from there. Otabek actually found the situation funny, glad for once that it wasn't his friends who were plotting behind his back, because Lei reacted about the same way he did when he was first brought over to Grand Prix Pizza, as Lei shook her head in disbelief as she stared at her friends. Lei soon turned back to face him though.

"I apologize for my friends," Lei said exasperatedly.

Otabek laughed, bringing a hand to his mouth, "it's fine. I'm almost done with my drink anyway."

At that, Lei visibly perked up, "are we moving somewhere else?"

Otabek froze, "w-well, I was planning on heading home to work on papers. Plus, don't you have a night shift? You need rest beforehand."

He worried over Lei's reaction and hoped the other won't be so mad that Otabek was cutting their date soon. To his relief, Lei nodded in agreement, her smile finding its way back onto her face.

"Sure, I can walk you back instead. You still have a lot of papers, huh?"

Otabek sighed, "sadly."

"I'll be right back," Lei said suddenly, getting up. Otabek watched her leave with curious eyes, noticing how Shupp and Risu from the other table also watched. Otabek took the time to look back at what had happened so far. Definitely a lot of teasing, from Lei and even her friends, but overall it had been an extremely fun date. Lei was just so easy to talk to, and it made it easier for Otabek to relax around her too.

Lei returned a few minutes later, "alright let's go."

"We haven't paid," Otabek said, before realizing- so that's where Lei went. He couldn't help but chuckle at her pleased expression. "Alright. Next time."

Otabek took one last sip from his milkshake and got up.

"You guys are leaving?" Risu complained, looking sad. "I just got here!"

"Exactly," Lei replied, sticking her tongue out. She extended his hand towards Otabek and smiled. "Let's go?"

Without thinking twice, Otabek found himself placing his own hand over Lei's, ignoring the excited reactions from Risu and Shupp, who were suddenly whooping and shouting as Lei intertwined their fingers, actually blushing a little herself. Otabek stared at their hands and found himself smiling, definitely blushing as well. Lei led the way to the front door, where they were greeted by Yuri and Nour.

"That's so cute," Nour squealed, as Yuri began slowly clapping.

"I am impressed, Lei," Yuri said solemnly, before breaking into a smile himself.

Lei just shook her head at her friends, while Otabek kept his eyes averted from them, feeling all shy again as Lei waved goodbye with her free hand. Otabek ended up doing the same, and together, they left the store.

It was no longer raining, thankfully, and the air was still cool and it made walking a lot better. Lei was actually humming to herself as they walked, their arms lightly swinging, while Otabek tried to keep himself from thinking too much about it. Okay, this was definitely a sign that they liked each other, right? I mean, he's never held hands with anyone before, and it’s usually not something done by someone who wants to be just friends. This was a good thing, right? Otabek continued to wonder in his head, a comfortable kind of silence passing between them. Lei had a smile on her lips, but likewise didn't really say anything. She was strangely quiet.

Otabek stopped them right at the intersection from the university entrance, to the dorms.

"I can take it from here," Otabek said. "I still have to pick Phichit up at our friend's dorm before I head back."

Lei nodded, and slowly, their fingers untangled and Otabek missed the warmth immediately.

"I'll see you then," Otabek continued, about to turn back to prevent Lei from clearly seeing his red face, until he was pulled back by a hand grasping his wrist.

Lei let go after Otabek had faced him again. There was an unfamiliar expression on her face- nervousness? Otabek found himself at a loss for words, unsure of what was about to happen, as he stared at her. He watched as Lei took a deep breath, and finally, opened to speak.

"You wanna know what I've been thinking about all night?"

Otabek could only nod, his heart beating faster in anticipation because is Lei doing what he thinks she’s doing?!

Lei smiled a little, her confidence returning slowly, "I was thinking about how happy I am that I got to spend the night with you."

Otabek's breath caught in his throat.

"Because," Lei started to say, meeting his eyes, an expression of utmost sincerity with just a hint of the previous nervousness showing. Otabek's entire world exploded the moment he heard what came out of . "I like you, Otabek. You know what would make me happier?"

There's that teasing grin again.

"If you say you like me too."