The Date

Cheesy Things

Lei enjoyed teasing Otabek too much. It wasn't that hard to do for some reason- the latter blushed pretty easily anyway, and that was exactly what he did after Lei lightly about being late for their date. She had spotted him standing alone, in the light drizzle of the rain, looking like he was trying to figure something out. Luckily, Lei had brought her umbrella along with her, thanks to Yuri's uncharacteristic motherly nagging.

"Make sure to bring your umbrella," Yuri had said, pushing the handheld umbrella towards her. "It might rain, we'll never know. Have enough money or they can always take it from your salary. Don't make a mess."

"Yeah, don't get your clothes wet, I didn't spend an hour deciding your outfit for nothing."

Shupp had arrived in their dorm after Yuri had frantically called her since Lei originally planned to wear something really bad (according to Yuri, anyway, personally Lei was fine with it) and she desperately needed help. It was also then that Shupp was filled in about the previous day's happenings, and about why Lei needed to be dressed up at all. She had reacted differently from the rest as she listened to the story with raised eyebrows and a skeptical expression.

"All this effort for a boy you just met," Shupp said lightly when she was picking out the clothes. "Isn't this a bit too much, Lei?"

Lei had shrugged. She didn't really think it was too much- she already knew she liked Otabek, anyway, so what she does shouldn't really matter by this point as long as things go well. So if she had to make an effort to get Otabek to like her back- assuming the shy guy doesn't yet, of course- then why not? Lei was all up for it anyway. She spent some time debating with the others whether she should keep her hair down, or proceed to tie it up. They both agreed to having it tied up, in the loose fashion she usually does, since that was the look Otabek was used to as well.

"Plus your hair might get on the food," Yuri added.

Yuri continued to fuss until she was about to leave. Lei decided not to remind him about what he said, regarding being there when Lei's date was going on as well. She hoped Yuri forgot it for the rest of the night. Meanwhile Shupp had offered some words of luck and watched her leave with a mischievous glint in her eyes, that left Lei slightly worried but she decided to brush it off.

So yeah. She figured he had to thank Yuri for the umbrella advice, otherwise she wouldn't have seen Otabek's adorable shocked expression when Lei showed up behind him.

"L-L-Lei!" Otabek blurted out in surprise.

Lei's smile widened immediately, "unless you were planning on being late. Or were you waiting for me here?"

"I wasn't-- I mean, it's not like that--" Otabek started to say, before he blushed and looked down. "The rain just caught me off-guard, I wasn't sure if I should run or... yeah..."

"I'm glad I walked my way over then," Lei said amiably, laughing when Otabek nodded his head quickly, kind of like a little kid.

"Yeah, thank you."

"Let's get going then," Lei adjusted her grip on the umbrella and beamed at Otabek. "You should stick closer to me so you won't get rained on in the slightest."

"Closer... okay..." Otabek said softly, probably more to himself but Lei heard it anyway. She tried to hold back her laugh when Otabek shifted towards her, but just by a bit, their bodies still barely touching. They both began their walk towards Grand Prix Pizza.

Lei had to resist the urge to constantly stare at the boy beside her instead of the road before her. Otabek looked good- maybe even better than before but she couldn't tell why exactly. He was dressed in a simple shirt and jeans. Otabek looked like he fixed his hair a bit too, maybe a bit of wax to give it an edge. Regardless, Lei would enjoy staring at him for the night.

In the silence they spent walking over to Grand Prix Pizza, Lei tried to remember who had shifts for the night. Nour started earlier on Saturdays, but Yuri wasn't due till 12AM, just like her. She really hoped Yuri wouldn't just show up, she really really did. Yuuri shouldn't be around till 10PM, and their dinner might be done by then. It seemed good enough. The other workers in Grand Prix Pizza were all much younger than she was so they should be pretty nice as well.

"Hey guys," Lei greeted when they entered the store, Otabek following beside her.

Nour grinned teasingly from behind the counter. She knew all about Otabek already since the others filled her in during last night's shift. She had reacted like she was suddenly their biggest fan, constantly gushing about how cute the story was turning out so far. She absolutely lost it when Yuuri brought up their supposed date and how she was going to witness everything. Which was why Lei knew Nour was acting very well when she spoke.

"Are you starting early today?"

Lei shook her head, tempted to laugh at how unnaturally calm Nour looked, "nah. I'm a customer today. This is Otabek by the way." She gestured towards him and noticed how Nour almost broke into a fit of giggles. "Otabek, this is Nour."

"Hello," Otabek said, offering a small wave.

"Yes, yes, hello!" Nour waved back excitedly. "Sit anywhere and we'll be right with you!"

Lei couldn't help but laugh at that, "alright."

She began to guide Otabek towards the table where they first technically 'met' and noticed how even Otabek smiled a little at the sight of the corner table. Lei was very much pleased at that.

"So," Lei said as they sat across each other, catching Otabek's attention. "What will be your order?"

Otabek actually chuckled a little at that, "I thought it would be obvious by now."

"Pork cutlet pizza it is!" Lei laughed heartily. "Do you want pasta? Or maybe some fries? We have good fries, if I say so myself."

"Is this a date or are you advertising where you work?" Otabek said, laughing as well before he realized what he said and a light flush appeared on his face. "I mean, if this is a date at all, and well, there's nothing wrong with advertising as well, I just--"

"Otabek," Lei said, holding back her laugh that time and choosing to grin instead, resisting the urge to call him cute when Otabek stopped talking to stare at her. "Relax."

Otabek visibly took a deep breath as Lei continued.

"And for the record, this is definitely a date, and that's why I want to offer you the best food here. We can always eat somewhere else next time anyway."

Lei hoped Otabek didn't notice how she tried to subtly hint at a next time. Otabek did blush deeper though, so he probably did catch it. He just nodded instead, averting his eyes from Lei just as someone came up to their table.

"Are you ready with your order?"

Lei's body tensed up.

Please no.

She looked up to find Yuri smiling cheekily at her, as if to say 'oh yes.'

"Why hello, Lei!" Yuri greeted. "And this must be Otabek! I've heard so much about y--"

"Yuri," Lei interrupted with a groan. Thankfully, Otabek looked more confused than anything. She sighed as Yuri continued to smile happily at them. "Otabek, this is Yuri, he's my--"

"Roommate," Otabek said suddenly. He offered a shy smile when he noticed the surprised expressions. "I heard him last time we were on the phone."

"Oh, he knows me!" Yuri said excitedly, clapping his hands. "I'll serve you guys tonight."

"I'd rather you not," Lei deadpanned, half joking.

"Too late. Will it be a pork cutlet pizza?”

Otabek laughed in his unique little way, which included covering his mouth slightly, "Everybody knows." (#EverybodyKnows ;) )

"Well," Lei started to say, actually feeling herself blush a bit at that. "Word gets around."

She thought seeing Otabek smile was cute enough, but having him actually smile at her was so much better. His eyes would turn into perfect crescent shapes and his smile was simply breathtaking that Lei found herself staring long enough that Yuri needed to nudge her shoulder to get her to look away.

"What will you have, Lover Girl?" Yuri asked, snickering.

"Throw in some fries, and make the pizza a large I guess," Lei turned back to Otabek as she tried to regain her composure. "What about for drinks?"

"Water is fine," Otabek piped up.

Yuri shook his head, "that won't do! Gotta have a milkshake or something."

Otabek thought about it for a while before he ended up nodding, "chocolate milkshake then."

"Vanilla for me," Lei wanted to roll her eyes at the sight of Yuri looking all smug and practically wiggling his eyebrows before he disappeared. When he did, Lei offered Otabek an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, he wasn't supposed to be at work till later," Lei complained halfheartedly, because Otabek was still looking rather amused by everything.

"It's fine," he replied. "Is he from here though? Yuri sounds foreign."

"He's from Russia actually," Lei said. "But he's been here long enough to know how to converse in Japanese naturally."

They talked a bit more as they waited for their orders to arrive. Lei got to know Otabek a bit more and gradually, it felt like Otabek was getting more comfortable around her as well, which was fantastic. Lei told some stuff about herself, mentioning that his nickname was 'angel' and being surprised that Otabek agreed and said it suited her. Their talking was cut when their milkshakes were brought over.

"One chocolate and one vanilla," a different voice said instead of Yuri's.

Different, but familiar.

Lei slowly looked up from the cups to see the grinning face of Shupp, who wasn't even dressed in the store's uniform and instead just threw an apron over her clothes. She winked cheekily, placing a finger to her lips and mouthing 'shhhh' as Lei gawked at her. Luckily, Otabek was too preoccupied with trying out his chocolate milkshake to notice what was happening. Shupp flashed another grin before she disappeared.

This was definitely planned and Lei genuinely wondered to what extent her friends were willing to go to mess with her. That, and if Risu was around too. She sure hoped not. She did not need another one of them around to ruin her date. Then again, Yuri and Shupp wouldn't really do any damage, but still... Knowing they were there at all made Lei worried.

"This is so good," Otabek said suddenly as he took a sip of the milkshake. "So good."

Lei laughed because Otabek was just too cute sometimes- maybe all the time.

"I know, right? The pizza is good too," Lei paused to watch Otabek take another sip before she continued. "The company I'm with is the best though."

Otabek paused mid-sip and let out a surprised laugh, looking down suddenly as if to avoid having his blushing face be seen.

Suddenly Yuri popped up beside them again.

"That's so sweet of you, Lei, I'm happy to be here!"

Lei rolled her eyes but had to laugh a little as Yuri placed their food down. The pork and cutlet pizza had a heart on it just like when Lei first made the same pizza for Otabek. The blush on the latter's face didn't disappear as he stared at the pizza in a mix of shock and embarrassment.

Yuri grinned, "enjoy!"

"Yeah, go away now, Yuri," Lei said jokingly, but was glad when Yuri did walk away.

"You like this flavor best?" Lei asked conversationally as they each got a slice; Otabek from the pork cutlet half and Lei from the cheese half. (WRITER’S NOTE: as if I was gonna make u haram in this fic. Shoo now)

Otabek shrugged, "yeah, I mean, it tastes good. It's a good combination."

"Like us, I hope," Lei said teasingly, expecting the other boy to get all shy and blush again. Instead, Otabek actually looked contemplative at the comment.

"I guess so," he finally replied, making Lei's heart skip a beat when their eyes met because she was not expecting that expression of such honesty and also the answer. She found herself smiling brightly in the end before she took a bite of the pizza to control it.

Did she actually have a chance with Otabek, then?