Chapter 4

The Chewing Gum Hunt
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn’t expect to take this long to update sorry. Especially since my other updates only took a few days. It’s been almost three weeks but I had mid-term exams once I got back to school. This was mostly finish for a while but I didn’t want to upload till I edited it a bit so here you have it!

enjoy!

4:35 pm

 

Donghyuck stayed curled up in Mark’s arms for what felt like hours, but really it was just a few minutes. He didn’t want to have to look at Mark and face his defeat. He knew he would just end up forgiving the elder the minute he looked at his face. 

 

Suddenly there were foot steps behind them. Donghyuck thought it might be some employee coming to tell them to get the hell out of there. He didn’t want to deal with whoever it was scolding them so he hid deeper, if that was even possible, into marks neck. The person then spoke up from the other end of the hall.

 

“O-oh There you guys are” it was just Jisung.

 

Mark pulled them apart and looked behind at the youngest boy in their group. Donghyuck looked at Jisung, and noticed he was slightly blushing at the intimate moment he witnessed. Then he peered at the side of Mark’s face, he had a sheepish smile.

 

“Ahaha” he laughed awkwardly, looks like the Mark everyone knew and loved was back. “Sorry Jisung, were you looking for us?”

 

Jisung had a de-panned look “No I just like roaming the dark halls of the SM building” No one could tell if he was joking or not. 

 

“Come on, Jaemin hyung sent me to look for you guys.”

 

Mark nodded and looked back at Donghyuck. Damn it, Donghyuck knew it. He had that sappy and embarrassed look on his face, he was asking for forgiveness by being awkwardly charming. It got hard to hold his grumpy face and he let out a small laugh

 

“What are you looking at idiot” there was no venom or bite in his tone. In fact he was even genuinely smiling. Mark’s face lit up. He knew he was forgiven.

 

Mark grabbed Donghyuck’s hand and dragged him to Jisung who distracting himself on his phone while he waited for his hyungs.

 

Together all three of them walked back to their practice room. Jisung in the front leading the two and ranting.

 

“He seems really annoyed and it’s not even my fault this time.”

 

“Uh huh” Mark would answer to show he was listening.

 

“But of course I’m the one he sends to find you guys.”

 

“Aha hey you know Jaemin loves you like a younger brother” Mark tried to comfort him

 

“A younger brother he wants to torture.” Even when annoyed Jisung’s voice was still soft.

 

“So like most siblings”

 

They exited the dark hallways and Donghyuck noticed he was right again. There was a sign that said do not enter. So they did enter a restricted area without realizing it. They made their way again to the main hallways.

 

“He doesn’t even bother to make Chenle or Renjun do it, let alone Je-no-jam… too busy trying to kiss up to him and be cute. I want to puke rainbows looking at them.”

 

Mark laughed “Don’t we all.”

 

They were finally approaching their practice room and Mark spit out his old gum in a can in the hallway. He let go of Donghyuck’s hand and then proceeded to pop another fresh piece of gum in his mouth. Apparently he had taken it from Donghyuck’s hoodie pocket while he was preoccupied with his lips.

 

Donghyuck’s head started ringing from the thought of it. He was having an inner battle with himself stuck in a state between anger and flustered. It’s annoying as hell.

 

“Hey you okay?” Mark had turned around to look at Donghyuck. They were at the door of their practice room.  

 

Donghyuck rolled his eyes “fantastic” he said.

 

He had barely walked in, walking past Mark, when he heard Chenle screech in that Chenle way he does.

 

“AAHHHAHAH his face is all red! What did you do Mark hyung?”

 

“You’re such a little you know that Chenle?” Donghyuck smirked as he walked over to the smaller blond boy and put him in a head lock.

 

“THERE YOU TWO ARE!” Jaemin yelled. Annoyed was not a good look on him.

 

He was previously sitting in the middle of the practice room on his phone, but upon seeing the couple, threw down his phone and the head phones that were in his ears behind him, almost hitting Renjun who was sitting nearby. Luckily Renjun caught it without injury and saved Jaemin from the tragedy of a broken phone.

 

Jisung ignored Jaemin and walked over to the sound system to change the music. Mark stood in place at the door, surprised at the outburst. Jaemin rarely got mad.

 

“Mark hyung you cut into almost an hour of our practice! Our instructor will have our heads if he finds out!”

 

Ah, Mark understands now, Jaemin was just concerned. But then again that still doesn’t explain what was making him so angry.

 

Donghyuck and Chenle snicker from their positions. The sight of Jaemin scolding their leader was quite amusing.

 

“Oh don’t think I forgot about you too Hyuck!” Jaemin said as he turned around. He walked toward the two mischievous members. With Donghyuck’s arm still around Chenle, they started screaming and running around the room in circles, partly because of the threatening voice which wasn’t even directed toward Chenle at all (but that doesn’t stop him from screaming), and mostly because they wanted to annoy and provoke Jaemin more.

 

“If you didn’t steal Mark hyungs gum this wouldn’t have happened” Jaemin screamed as he chased after them.

 

Donghyuck ended up tripping over some bags at the side and fell down bringing Chenle, still in a headlock, with him.

 

Jaemin jumped them in a dog pile and sat on them so they could get up.

 

“ahhusfinskjd get your bony off us!” Donghyuck wined from the bottom of the pile. “Not even Mark hyung treated me this roughly today” he was banging his hands on the floor and trying to shake Jaemin and Chenle off of him.

 

Jeno laughed lightly from the other side of the room “So then what did you do to get you gum back hyung?” there was a slight teasing to his tone.

 

Jisung quickly turned around from where he was peacefully ignoring everyone. His eyes were wide, he looked scandalized.

 

“DON’t say it!” he yelled desperately “there are innocent ears present!” he pointed at Renjun.

 

Renjun blushed. “h-hey! I’m older then you!”

 

Everyone was laughing, even Jaemin, who had slid down from the top of the pile in his hysteria. Jisung’s statement was enough for everyone to understand. However, among the many laughing faces, there were two very red ones.

 

“Aha …how about we start practice now” Mark said. He was smiling but it was obvious he was just trying to change the subject to avoid any more embarrassment for him and Donghyuck.

 

Everyone agreed and got up, well except for Donghyuck who stayed face planted on the floor. Jeno went over to pull him up. “Yah! Get up before Jaemin gets salty again” he giggled.

 

Donghyuck had that constipated face of anger and embarrassment again, but it quickly disappeared when he saw an opportunity to tease Jeno came up.

 

He batted his eyes and mockingly made kissy faces, “you could always just kiss him better so he won’t kill me”

 

Jeno blushed but still smiled “shut up Hyuck” he said as he pushed Donghyuck forward and they begin practice.

 

~.*.~

 

Luckily their dance instructor never found out about the boys shenanigans when he had come in.

 

Mark had to rush to change into his workout clothes as he was the only one still in uniform. He assumed his role as leader and told the others to start while he dressed. He silently blessed Koeun’s soul for dropping his bag off while he was busy chasing Donghyuck around the company. He had just barely made it back to join them when their instructor walked in. It was a close call but they were able to pull it off

 

 

Well most of them at least.

 

Donghyuck was off his game the entire time. He kept making mistakes such as tripping over his feet and missing certain moves. He was incredibly out of sync at times too.

 

Mark could see everyone was growing exasperated at having to repeat the dance numerous times.  The ever radiant Jaemin, who had been uncharacteristically grumpy today, looked like more annoyed than ever. Even sweet Renjun was looking a bit stressed over watching Donghyuck.

 

Mark felt a bit guilty. He had delayed practice for almost an hour and caused a ruckus everywhere he’d been today. Now that he thinks about it he was quite embarrassed. Maybe he needs to lay off the gum. It’s not healthy to be so obsessed with something.

 

He watched Donghyuck step over the wrong foot again and trip.

 

“Goddamn it Donghyuck pay attention!” their instructor said.

 

Mark wanted to do something but he didn’t know what was bothering Donghyuck in the first place. However he knew he had a responsibility to make sure they are all preform properly.

 

Seems like their dance instructor had enough of Donghyuck too. He gave them all a lecture, well mostly looking at Donghyuck, for their bad performance.

 

“How can you perform in front of your fans if you can’t even do it right in practice?” he would say. It went on for another few minutes before he called for a five minute break so they could clear their heads.

 

Mark wiped some sweat off his face and neck. He watched as Donghyuck did the same and sat down on the floor. He still looked dazed and distracted by his thoughts. Mark recalls Donghyuck acting similarly when they had walked back to the practice room earlier. The entire time his head was tilted downwards, he was quiet and had a slight tint to his cheeks.

 

He grabbed a water bottle and walked up to Donghyuck. The latter didn’t seem to notice him approach.

 

“Hey, here drink” he said standing in front of him with his hand extended offering the drink.

 

Donghyuck looked at the drink, and acknowledged Mark’s presences. He took the water bottle and had a sip.

 

Mark moved to sit across from him on the floor. He could see his face better and noticed his cheeks were flushed again but Mark assumed it must be from dancing too much.

 

“Are you sure you’re fine?” He asked. He looked at Donghyuck’s hand and hesitated for a second before he held it in his own and his thumb on the others palm.

 

Donghyuck looked into his eyes for a while his mouth slightly agape but his eyes were still hazy. Then he smiled brightly and Mark’s heart melted a bit, but he won’t tell him that, he’ll just get teased.

 

“Yup, I was just thinking” Donghyuck said rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.

 

“About what?” Mark inquired.

 

“Five minutes is up!” yelled their instructor as he walked back into the room.

 

Donghyuck stood up and Mark followed but he still looked at Donghyuck expectantly for an answer. “It’s nothing I think I’m okay now.” Said the younger of the two and it was left at that.

 

Seems like a break was all Donghyuck needed. They were able to make it through the entire choreography without any major errors.

 

Not long after, Mark and Donghyuck were called by their manager to meet in a different floor to have a meeting regarding NCT 127 and thus practice ended for the rest of the NCT Dream members.

 

~.*.~

 

Everyone was sweaty and tired by the end of their practice. Mark and Donghyuck had just left and the remaining five went to change out into fresh new clothes that didn’t smell like teenage boys.

 

Jeno was trading his damp shirt for a warm sweater. He could hear Chenle, Renjun and Jisung exchanging their bet money on how long it would take for Mark and Donghyuck to end their fight, as well as who would win. He watched as Jisung basked in the glory of winning the bet and gaining some pocket money. Jeno made a mental note to pay off his bets to the younger boy later. He didn’t want Jaemin to know he participated too because he knew the latter was bitter about the whole situation for some odd reason.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter