The Eye of the Storm

Day by Day

"Ugh, my head hurts so much..." Dara groaned and rolled on the floor. She held her heard and closed her eyes as it will magically erase everything away yet she just can't.

"Oh? You're awake? I already made breakfast. Come eat." Wooyoung said while drying his hair. He took a quick shower after preparing for their breakfast, he had plans today so he'll leave after eating a bit.

"Are you going somewhere?" Dara murmured when she noticed Wooyoung is quite dressed.  Well he might have plans so she definitely needs to get out of his house as soon as possible.

"Ugggh. Did I already tell you that you're the best friend ever?" She said while helping herself up. Wooyoung is really a piece of gold in her pocket. She couldn't ask for a better friend and pillar than him.

"Stop that nonsense. Flattery will get you nowhere my friend."

"But it's true though... I think I won't ever survive without you..." She murmured as the sudden realization hit her hard in the gut.

"Oh yeah yeah, I know that already. I'm such an amazing person aren't I?" He smirked and flexed his arms. Hearing sincere words from his friend actually warms his heart. "Oh? Your phone's ringing again. By the way, your Jiyong actually called twice last night." He said nonchalantly.

Dara felt a sudden punch in her stomach. She felt her heart clenched as if something squeezed it dry. Why do she have a bad feeling about that? He never called this past week so why would he call last night? Oh well, maybe he just missed her so much that he wanted to hear even just her voice. Well, she definitely stopped herself from calling him a million times these past few weeks.

She took her phone and a bitter taste formed in when she saw it was CL calling. Her heart fell as she saw memories floating before her eyes with her bestfriend. She was once her bestfriend, so she can't stop her mind before her heart pressed the accept button.

"Da-dara..." CL's sobbing entered her eardrums which made her heart beat faster. CL don't really cry unless something really big happened and her voice right now is something Dara had never even heard before.

"Wh-why? What's wrong?"

"Di-didn't you hear?" CL's voice sounded like she's stopping herself from bawling so hard which made Dara's heart even worse. What in the world happened that made her strong bestfriend break down like this?

"Ji...Jiyong oppa..." Her voice cracked and broke into thousand little pieces.

"What? What happened to Jiyong?"

"Just...died..." CL's voice came to a low whisper as she uttered the words that literally broke Dara's world and soul.

"What are yo-you saying? If this is a prank to get me back I ing swear tio the world that this is not funny-" Dara wanted to sound strong but her own voice betrayed her. She's now gasping for air as if she's a fish that had gone to the land. What in the world is her bestfriend talking about?!

Her knees buckled and gave up in a single snap. Wooyoung looked at her with worry evident in his brown eyes. In a second, the waterfall of tears rushed down her cheeks without even a single sound of cry. Dara knew that no matter how hard she deny this, deep down in her mind, she knew that CL wouldn't joke about something this grave.

"Hankuk Sungjin Hospital" was the last thing Dara heard before her hand gave way and shook intensely. Her handphone landed in a loud thud that left deep cracks in the screen.

Everything passed by in a blur; Wooyoung held her and helped her until they reached his car. He is really confused but Dara won't even talk even if he had asked her a million questions. She's currently in a trance, he couldm't even reach. What the hell happened?

He didn't waste time and stepped on the gas because he thought Dara might not even last a minute of waste. Before he could even park the car properly, Dara jumped off the car and ran like a mad woman to the hospital. She doesn't even care right now, and she's not even thinking right now. Dara's heart clenched as she felt that it's already t o o late...

Wooyoung followed her but Dara must've ran like crazy because he can't even see her right now. He whipped his around yet there's really no evidence of her lingering around. He decided to ask the front desk and immediately ran to the directions given to him.

"Where the ing hell is Kwon Jiyong?!" Dara's roaring voice shook the whole floor of the hospital.

"You? Have you guys gone mute? Where is he?" She shouted once again. She doesn't care if she's shouting at his parents right now, but what can she do? They're just staring at her, crying and not saying anything. 

"Dara... calm down..." Jiyong's mother hugged her so hard that she can't even wiggle free.

"Shush... shush... calm down..."

"Wh-where is he? CL's just joking ri-right? He's still alive right?" She cried through her sobs. She just can't even bring to imagine...

"He's there... at the morgue..." Jiyong's mother painfully whispered. She finally understood why his son doesn't want Dara to know the situation. 'It will break her' he said, and now it's happening.

Dara doesn't even know what's happening. Is she still breathing? Maybe but... she can feel her heart slowly losing its beat. She can feel something being placed in her hand and she just felt her feet move. They are moving on their own without her own power to fuel them. She looked down and saw a paper folded clutched in her right hand. Oh? Jiyong's mother gave her a letter. She opened it while walking and the first line literally broke what's left of her.

Hi it's me.

It's from Jiyong! Her hand shook as she tried to focus on the next lines. The letters are dancing yet she tried all her best to read everything.

I don't know where to start but I hope you'll understand. But uh... remember my disappearing episodes? Remember those days that I would just leave and disappear without any reason? Well I have a reason for that, a reason that I swore with my life that I wouldn't ever tell you.

I don't want you to know that your boyfriend wears wigs because all his hair fell off during chemo. I don't want you to know that the man you've been dreaming to start a family with may not last until tomorrow. I don't want you to know that I've been suffering because I know you'll suffer twice as I am.

CL learned the truth that day at the cafe. She saw me at the hospital and I don't have any choice but to tell her the truth. How could I cheat on you? You're the best thing that I had ever laid hands on. Please don't abandon CL because of it, she'd never ever betray you. She's a friend that you'll never have again in this lifetime so treasure her.

I know you are hurting right now but I just want to let you know that I am very thankful that I have met you in this lifetime. I am forever indebted to your love. I lov-

That's it. The letter's cut short, even until the last moment.

"Did you write this before you lost your last breath? ing stupid." How could he?! Her legs finally gave way in front of the morgue. What kind of life is this? How could her last string snap?

How could she even live right now?

"Ma’am! You're not allowed to enter there!" But it has fallen on deaf ears. She found her way inside the morgue, not even bothering the other bodies inside the room. You could really do unimaginable things because of love huh?

She scampered inside the room, her chest heavy with every step she takes. Dara's tears must have dried up now, but surprisingly there are still fresh tears flowing down her eyes. Are tears really the symbol of pain? Well she must have cried a river of tears, but the pain would amount to a hell of it. Life is really surreal as it is.

Then she found him, lying on the cold bed. Unmoving and cold, dead and not breathing. She whisked away the blanket and started hugging him.

"No... no... This isn't real right? Jiyoooong?"

"Hey... hey..." His body is already cold as rock, his face pale like snow. Pain hit her ten times fold as she finally saw the truth. No... no...

Her last string of hope snapped and fell apart, her heart already turned to a million of dusts. She suddenly had a very hard time breathing, how could she have this kind of life? Why of all people?

"Hey Jiyong... can I come... with you?" Her mind finally shut down as her heart finally gave up beating. Exhaustion took over her as Dara's body slowly fell to the ground with the last of her tears splashed on her cheeks.