first

the great advantage of being alive

Jin sat disinterestedly on the subway, staring blankly as more passengers trudged onboard. There was a middle-aged man dressed very sharply, typing on his phone at light speed and walking very purposefully. There was a well-dressed woman draped in gold and gems strutting aboard dragging two suitcases. There was a young woman, maybe his age, fussing over a little girl and a little boy hurrying towards the door. The little boy ran forward and passed through the doors seconds before they dinged and closed. Jin saw the look of horror on the girl’s face as the train started moving. She rushed forward, but it was already too late.

Jin shifted his attention to the little boy, who seemed to have just realized that he’d gotten on the subway alone. He spun around several times, but eventually he stopped and his face scrunched up as he began crying.

The other passengers winced. Some looked at each other helplessly, while others simply watched in concern.

Jin sighed.

Getting up, he walked over and squatted by the little boy, who was sobbing quite loudly and tripping over his feet as the train gained speed. “Hello,” he said simply.

The boy whimpered, rubbing his eyes, and looked up. His lip wobbled even more and his little chest heaved with the effort of suppressing his tears. “H-h-hi?”

“I’m Jin. What’s your name?” He ignored the murmurs that were rising from the observing passengers.

“I-I-I’m not s-s-s’posed to t-talk to strangers!” he blubbered. “J-Jaehee-noona said s-so!”

“But you know my name. So I’m not a stranger.”

The kid thought for a second and shrugged, sniffling and wiping his eyes as his tears died down. “Okay. I’m Kim Hyunsuk! Nice to meet you.” He gave a little bow.

Jin’s lips twitched. “Nice to meet you too, Hyunsuk. Back at the station, was that Jaehee-noona?”

Hyunsuk nodded enthusiastically. “Uh-huh! She’s my aunt. I love her.”

“That’s great.”

“My sister was there too! Her name’s Kim Minhee. We’re twins.”

“Okay, Hyunsuk, that’s great, but I need you to focus now, okay?” Jin interrupted before the boy could go on a tangent. It seemed now that he’d calmed down, he’d forgotten he was lost and alone.

“Oh, okay!”

“I need you to tell me Jaehee-noona’s cell phone number. Do you know it?”

Hyunsuk frowned. “Umm...it starts with a one! No, a two! Umm...oh, wait! I think it’s in my coat!”

Jin raised an eyebrow. “Show me.”

Hyunsuk eagerly ped his jacket and shoved it at Jin. “See, here!”

Jin looked and found a little pouch sewn into the jacket with a card inside. The name “Kim Jaehee” and a phone number were printed on it. He assumed it was hers and pulled out his phone, quickly dialing the number before handing the jacket back.

“I’ll call her now so she can pick you up, okay?”

Hyunsuk struggled back into his jacket and nodded, smiling brightly. “Okay!”

Jin almost smiled. Kids bounced back so quickly.

The phone rang only once before it was picked up. He heard a frantic “Hello?” and some anguished wailing in the background.

“Hello, is this Kim Jaehee?”

“Yes, I’m Jaehee. Who is this?”

“I’m on the train with Hyunsuk. Do you want him to wait for you at the next station or go back to yours?” Hyunsuk beamed and made grabby hands at the phone. Jin shook his head.

“Wait! Please have him wait, oh thank you so much, I’m so sorry, I—”

“It’s fine. We’ll be at the next station.” Jin hung up.

“Aww, I wanted to talk to Jaehee-noona!” Hyunsuk pouted up at him.

Jin stuffed his phone away and stood up, stretching out his legs. “You’ll see her soon.”

Soon, the train rolled to a stop and the doors open. Jin held Hyunsuk’s hand and led him onto the platform quickly. They sat at a bench and waited for the next train, Jin calmly listening to Hyunsuk’s comments and answering his questions.

Finally, the next train arrived. Right as the doors opened, two figures rushed out, calling Hyunsuk’s name.

She’s pretty, Jin noted absently. The little girl was just as cute as her twin.

“They’re here,” Jin said to Hyunsuk, and the boy nodded excitedly before running over to his family.

He was immediately swept up into a hug as the little girl continued crying softly. Hyunsuk wriggled out of the hug and tugged the girl over to Jin.

“This is Jin-hyung! He’s really nice! He helped me,” Hyungsuk declared proudly.

The girl bowed deeply, teary-eyed and profusely grateful. “Thank you so, so much! If there’s anything I can do for you—”

“It’s fine,” Jin dismissed easily. “Just don’t let it happen again.”

“Oh, of course not! This has never happened before, I’m usually really good about watching them, but today I—”

She continued to explain until her attention was dragged away by the twins, but by then Jin had already slipped away. He looked back to see the girl glancing around in confusion at his disappearance, but Hyunsuk caught sight of him and waved energetically. Jin nodded back once before blending back into the crowd to board the next train.


notes: helloooooo! yes, it's finally here: the next installment of the gang!AU series. i'm out of practice with this world, but hopefully it's not too obvious haha. here we have indifferent jin, after everything that happened in CCT. there's probably gonna be less gang-related stuff and more infighting now hahaha. yay drama! ;) sorry this chapter is so short; we're just getting started!

i know a lot of people are looking forward to jungkook's story. i'm afraid it might be a while; i'm planning to have his story be the last one, the one that wraps up a lot of loose ends with the gang. sorry! please hang in there! please have this in the meantime! he will appear in this story, of course.

HAPPY 2017!!!!!! let's make it a better year than 2016! xD i'm so proud of our boys. bts has done a lot this year, gotten a lot of recognition and acknowledgement and it's amazing, cuz they deserve it so much. things are a-happenin' and i can't wait to see what else they have in store!

OMG TANGENT: SO MY FRIENDS LOVE BOBA AND THERE'S THIS PLACE CLOSE TO WHERE WE LIVE THAT THEY LOVE TO GO TO AND THE OTHER DAY THEY WERE PLAYING SO MUCH BTS THEN EVEN PLAYED V/JIN'S OST FOR HWARANG!!!! IALMOST FREAKED OUT AND D I E D OF EXCITEMENT!!!!

also: who's watching hwarang? PUT YO HANDS UP PUT YO HANDS UP PUT P-PUT P-PUT if you're not and you enjoy dramas, WATCH. CUZ LIKE. TAE IS SOOOO BEAUTIFUL. the long hair looks really good on him??? like i would be okay if he decided to grow out his hair for eternal???? also just lots of eye candy lmao. AND BROMANCE?!!?!??!???? hopefully! i'm expecting much :D

see you in the next chapter!

skyblaze208, OUT!


© Copyright 2017 by skyblaze208