We're Meant Only for Each Other

Natural Selection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 4 – We're Meant Only for Each Other~

            To Hyungwon, Minhyuk has become a secret yearning.

            Hyungwon likes Minhyuk. The vampire knows he's beginning to toe the blurry lines between attraction and affection and there's no doubt in his mind that it won't take much longer for him to tip over onto the side of affection entirely. But their circumstances feel like restraints to him. Can a one-sided imprint bond be a good reason to start a relationship? Werewolves imprint mutually but with Minhyuk and himself… It makes the vampire question if this is really mutual affection? Is this mutual love? If they met under different circumstances would they still have the relationship they're building now? Hyungwon doesn't know. Isn't sure.

            For now, Hyungwon decides to enjoy the time he spends with Minhyuk until there's a real chance to bring it up. Lately, Minhyuk seemed to be losing the spring in his step but no matter how much Hyungwon pressed about his well-being the werewolf would only brush it off with a smile. It drives Hyungwon crazy but if Minhyuk wasn't going to tell him then there's nothing he can do about it until he coaxes it out of the other.

            "Hyungwon," Minhyuk calls his name from the other aisle of the market. The vampire agreed to make dinner for the both of them tonight after their date which was why they were shopping for ingredients but apparently Minhyuk had other ideas when he went off to explore the other sections of the store although Minhyuk never traveled farther than an aisle away.

            Hyungwon walks around the snack aisle to the other accessory aisle where Minhyuk greets him with an excited grin while hiding something behind his back. Hyungwon raises a brow, "What do you have behind you?"

            "It'll be fun," Minhyuk reassures quickly, grin widening, "Lower your head a bit."

            Although bit wary at what Minhyuk had in mind, Hyungwon doesn't object much to the request. He bends forward a bit and feels Minhyuk slip something into his hair just behind his ears.

            "Did you just put a headband on me?" As Hyungwon stands up straight again, he touches the top of his head and feels something soft and pointy. He's tempted to take it off and take a look for himself but Minhyuk pulls him forward by the arm so that they're standing in front of the small display mirror near the make-up section.

            "It looks good!" Minhyuk squeals in awe, eyes wide in wonderment.

            Hyungwon sees that it was an animal ear headband that matched his hair color perfectly so the ears actually looked like a natural part of his being. He reaches up and touches the tip of the ears again, "Are these wolf ear headbands?"

            Minhyuk lifts the tag near Hyungwon's real ear to check, "Mmhm, they are. I just thought the color would match with your hair. I was about to put a sheep headband on you instead."

            Hyungwon laughs, "Well good thing you didn't, these definitely look much better."

            "With that on your head you could even pass for a werewolf too~" Minhyuk loops his arm with Hyungwon's and tilts his head onto the other's shoulder. His gaze is directed to the both of them situated in front of the mirror and an idea occurs to him. "You should buy it."

            "What?" Hyungwon says as he glances at Minhyuk in surprise. The headband was cheap but he didn't see any purpose in buying the item when he doesn't wear headbands on a daily basis. Hell, most times he doesn’t even bother to style his hair after a shower.

            Minhyuk tries to laugh it off but his voice gives him away anyways, "Just a suggestion. You don't have to if you don't want to but it'd be cute to have."

            Glancing at his reflection again, Hyungwon slips the headband off and places it into the basket he was carrying. "If it makes you happy, sure, why not."

            Minhyuk's eyes light up and his tail starts wagging again, "Really?"

            "It might come in handy," Hyungwon shrugs but inside he's glad the small gesture means something to Minhyuk, "Although I doubt I'll wear it around often unless you put it on my head yourself."

            "That's okay," Minhyuk begins pulling Hyungwon towards the front of the store where the check-out lines were, "We can show Shownu, Jooheon, and Changkyun the next time you come over. They'll probably be surprised at how good it looks on you too!"

            Hyungwon thinks it's more likely that Jooheon and Changkyun would find the headband as another thing to tease the two of them about but he keeps that to himself as they get in line and pay for their things before leaving.

            Minhyuk grabs one of the bags and leaves the other to Hyungwon so he could rummage through the contents while they walk through the park to the bus stop. "Got it," Minhyuk mutters when his hand closes around the headband and pulls it out for Hyungwon to see, "You should wear it until we get to your place."

            "Why? Plus, the price tag is still stuck to it," Hyungwon says with mild reluctnace. He wouldn't mind wearing it whenever they were inside but walking around with the headband might draw more attention to them than Hyungwon would have liked.

            Minhyuk remedies it by plucking the tag off with a quick tug of his fingers and putting it back into the bag, "Tag problem fixed." The werewolf turns to Hyungwon and starts to pout, "Please?"

            The look of a pouty Minhyuk was unfortunately working but Hyungwon didn’t want to give in so easily, "…If I say no?"

            "It'd be a waste of money if you don't wear it," insists Minhyuk.

            Hyungwon relents with an exaggerated sigh, "Alright you make a good point there."

            Minhyuk grins ecstatically. He passes his bag to Hyungwon to hold and the taller bends down slightly so Minhyuk could slip the headband back on again. When Hyungwon straightens up, he sees Minhyuk is beaming at him.

            "You really like the headband on me don't you?" Hyungwon teases lightly, although a part of him is curious about Minhyuk's fixation with the accessory.

            The werewolf hums his agreement, "You really could pass for a werewolf with that headband."

            Hyungwon touches the headband again, he mentally notes that they're not as soft as Minhyuk's own ears. "Too bad it can't make me a real werewolf huh?"

            There's a sudden tense pause between them and Hyungwon knows he just messed up. His heart feels as though it dropped to his stomach, the words came out before he gave them any thought. It may have been unintentional but he should have known those kind of words carry a heavy weight with them.

            Minhyuk's smile abruptly falters and Hyungwon catches the sudden shift before Minhyuk has the chance to hide it away again. The upturn of Minhyuk's lips is gentle and sincere but his eyes reflect a longing Hyungwon isn't sure about. "Do you ever think things would be easier if we were the same species whether it be vampires or werewolves?"

            Hyungwon's mouth suddenly feels dry as though it's been stuffed with cotton, "Minhyuk-"

            "Sorry," Minhyuk shakes his head apologetically, "That was a cruel question. Can I ask you something else Hyungwon?"

            The vampire nods, no longer trusting his voice to communicate clearly.

            "Why did you agree so easily? To all of this? To continue with it?" Minhyuk's voice is stronger than his own and searching for whatever he can find in Hyungwon.

            "..I-" Hyungwon stops himself. He was about to say he didn't know again and that would have been a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter