Take A Drive?

Fond Memories - Optional Bias

“Would you like to drive around a little first? Show you around town?” You questioned as you began to guide him up towards the University, where you attend.

“That would be great!” He followed your directions as the two of you found your way up to campus.

“You know, there is a really good ice cream place up here. It is local and really really good.” You happily told him as he nodded his head.

“I’m always up for ice cream” He glanced over at you. Giving him more directions, he parked his car between the yellow lines of the parking lot.

Exiting his car, the two of you made your way to the entrance. Once more, he opened the door without fail as you stepped inside, thanking him quietly. Walking through the black ropes that turned the open space into a slight maze, the two of you read all of the different flavors. Both unique and familiar, you explained the different options such as cones or cups.

“There are so many good flavors” He gasped, his eyes wide with excitement and happiness.

“You can have a spoonful of mine if you’d like” You offered

“Sounds yummy to me!” He ordered his ice cream before you ordered yours, you ordered your favorite combination of Cookie Fudge and Cookie dough as he went with his favorites. Once more he payed for the ice cream, then the two of you went outside and sat on one of the iron picnic tables.

Chatting and sharing a scoop of one another’s ice cream, the two of you happily laughed and talked while others smiled upon seeing the two of you together.  Beginning to shiver from the cold night coupled with the chill of the ice cream, the two of you retreated to his car as you got in and pulled the seat belt over yourself. He twisted the key in the ignition as he shifted his car to go forward, guiding him out of the parking lot, you gave him a few directions to take a drive up the nearby canyon, continuing to talk and ask one another questions, you happily replied and kept your eyes mostly on him than the winding road you two were traveling on.

With the sun long gone, the headlights of his car illuminated the winding road ahead, with the lights picking up the trees on either side of the road, he reached down and was going to shift his car, however his hand rested on your knee as you both glanced down as to where his hand was. Hearing a soft, embarrassed chuckle, you giggled as he gently moved his hand to shift the car. Moving your hand over, he guided his hand into yours as you gently laced your fingers with his. The butterflies in your stomach slowly began to awake as you glanced over at him as he confidently placed his left hand on the steering wheel as he continued to head up the canyon. Going with the ebb and flow of the conversation, uncovering little things about yourself to the other, the connection between the two of you began to grow incredibly fast given the short time that the two of you known one another.

Turning around, a good way up the canyon, the two of you began to make your descent down the winding canyon road as his car filled with laughter and uncontrollable smiles as the two of you continued to tell one another of stories and experiences of your past.

Laughing at terrible date stories, unreasonable breakups and memoriable stories, the trees on either side of the road slowly turned into buildings, as the two of you headed into the city. Glancing at the time, the two of you didn’t want the date to end yet, as you guided him to one of the further towns within the valley surrounded by mountains.

“How are we this similar?!” You exclaimed, finding more in common with him than anyone ever before.

“I don’t know” He giggled, obviously a little flustered that the date was going this well, “But I kinda like it.”

Glancing over at you, you caught a glimpse of his beautiful eyes as you couldn’t help yourself but wrap your free arm around his, your head rested against as your hands stayed clasped to one another.

Continuing to talk and converse, the lights of the city soon left you as the trees lined one side of the road again while the other side was beautiful fields of crops. With most of the house’s dark and only the lights of his car to guide you down the road, you traveled through one small town to the next.

Showing him a few places, the two of you enjoyed one another’s company as the conversation turned slightly serious. Revealing one of your many secrets to him, you watched and listened to his reaction as you nervously looked down, your thumb brushed against his hand, trying to contain the nerves that you were feeling at that moment.

Knowing that the story you were telling about was personal and has been a controversial subject in your past relationships, you were careful how you phrased it picking up on his quiet cues and gentle squeezes that came from him as you told the story. Finishing the story, you waited a moment and watched him.

“If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know. This isn’t going to scare me away” He told you, as you looked up at him in disbelief.

“Really?” You whispered softly, your grip on him slightly tightened as he nodded his head, glancing over at you.

“Really.” Showing off a small smile to you, he stopped at a stop sign and looked over at you. His brown eyes captured yours as you felt a peaceful feeling spread throughout your body. “This experience has made you who you are today and I really, really really like who you are today.”

His words hit you like a ton of bricks, feeling your heart soften, you just smiled and shook your head thinking to yourself that he is slowly becoming your next crush. Running your tongue over your lips, you guided him to a small body of water named Hyrum Dam.