Regulars & Irregulars

My Life As A Court Lady (Royal Hostess)

[Some court ladies, princes, and other palace people finds Soo giving more attention to So than others, which made them wonder. But when she displays friendly contacts with him, his mask was gone missing and forced So to wander around showing his scar.]

 

“Wait, there are also regulars?”

So was asking about the society of this “Royal Hostess” Baek-Ah talked about. And the thirteenth prince explained something that he didn’t know at the first place.

“Yes, brother. Other queens, sister Yeon-Hwa seemed to request for Soo’s teas and pastries. Even king seemed to like the teas she brewed. Believe it or not, Queen Yoo also considered about trying some of her pastries since brother Yo has become one of Soo’s regulars.”

So was a bit surprised with the fact that his estranged queen mother and his brother Yo were considered as Soo’s guests.

“And whats this ‘irregular’ guests mean?” So asked.

“Soo made up that word actually, but it means when the regulars were temporarily banned from either being served by their favorite court ladies, or they were forbade from entering Damiwon. Higher-ranked court ladies have some sort of rights to ban them as long as the king approves.” Baek-Ah replied.

So was a bit relieved that Soo has at least her rights to avoid or dismiss any guest who might offend her in some degrees. Both of them entered Damiwon and found Soo accompanying the majority of princes, princess, and queens. Finding himself around them uncomfortable, So just stood there as so did Baek-Ah.

Soo was giving each of her guest the teas and pastries. The queens were rather intrigued by her bakings and tried them. Much to their satisfaction, the treats were delicious as it matches their appetite. Even queen Yoo take a bit on the pastry and nodded her head in contentment.

Jung and Eun noticed one spare of teas and dishes of pastries on the side.

“Sister, what are those for?” Jung asked.

Soo looked up at there he pointed at, and grinned.

“Those are for our fourth prince.”

They all stopped at what they were doing as they glanced at Soo. Looking at the spare dishes of bakings and teas for So, Jung frowned a bit as Eun nodded his head understanding. Wook seemed unsettled as Yo’s expression turned dark, with distaste. Queen Yoo was a bit surprised at the girl’s somewhat “favoritism” on her estranged son Wang So. Baek-Ah was appreciative of Soo’s caring for his brother So as the fourth prince was a bit flustered and happy and the same time, looking away shyly.

Third prince Yo snorted cruelly as he put down his cup.

“Hae Soo, you carry the joke too far,” he smirked, “there’s no way such rare pastries can match to the man’s appetite, which were saved for animal flesh and blood.

Soo looked back towards Yo with inquisitive, yet accusing eyes.

“Excuse me?”

“Do forgive me, Lady Soo,” then Yo formed a smile, “I was talking to myself.”
Soo raised her eyebrows, then brushed off as she noticed fourth prince. She waved her had at him, leading him to the seat she saved for him. So only nodded his head as he walked towards and took his seat. He saw the pastries he had never seen before. The same ones she served to the princes and she also brought his favorite tea. He picked on and bite on the rice-cake. He noticed the sour and sweetness inside, seeing his favorite fruit inside the rice-cake.

“Strawberry?” He silently blurted.

“Do you like them?” Soo asked expectantly.

He looked at Soo, whose eyes were sparkling as a doe waiting for his response. In in short second, So smiled the most rarest, gleaming smile.

“I love them,” he flashed an innocent, yet delighted smile, “thank you.”

Soo’s eyes widened watching every trace of his smiling face, and within second, she embraced the fourth prince as her arms were around his neck, bringing his head close to her chest.

“Oh my god, I’m the one who should be thanking you!”

Her behavior caught everyone’s attention. Baek-Ah was restraining his laughter. Wook’s eyes were widened a bit as Eun and Jung was surprised too. The queens were shocked at the girl’s behaviours towards the infamous fourth prince and Queen Yoo was not an exception.

Noticed what she did, Soo let go off from So, who was blushing. Baek-Ah could see his imaginary wolf-cub’s tail wagging wildly.

“I’m sorry, I ended up done such a commitment…” Soo apologized.

So shook his head, telling her it was fine. Little did everyone knew, the third prince was glancing at the pair with darkening expression inhaling his rage and envy within.


 

So was in his room to retry the concealing of his scar but the makeup was out of its powders and brushes. He remembered Soo told him she needed to bought more ingredients from Song-Ak market with Wook and Eun so she would be back for an hour. Sighed with smile, he walked towards the table where his mask was usually stored, only to find it missing. His smile faded as the dread filled in. Insecurities revived as he walked out of the door, hiding his scars with his left hand. He walked fast as he didn’t noticed the queen and his third brother pass by.

“Ah, So-ya.”

So stopped as he heard Yo’s sneering voice.

“How nice for you to have Lady Soo covered your scar. While you’re at it, why don’t you correct your loosened leash his majesty brought on you?” Yo finished as he walked away with smile.

From the direction where Yo was leaving from, So remembered there was a pavilion where the pond laid underneath. He ran towards the direction and stopped at the pond, spotted his black mask floating. He groaned in anger, but dissolved as he needed to pick it up. Besides, he didn’t have any proof that Yo might have thrown it on the pond.

“Fourth prince?”

He flinched as he heard Soo’s voice.

“What are you doing?” She asked as she walked and noticed the mask on the pond.

“I…I had it dropped when I was walking…” He lied.

She only nodded her head. And without any reluctance she raised up her skirt with one hand and was about to enter the pond.

“Soo—”

Before he could stop, she was already landed on the pond and walked towards the mask, reaching her hand towards and grabbed it. She walked back to the surface, brushed off the waters from his mask and handed to him.

“Here.”

Soo smiled. Within several seconds of silence, he accepted and silently thanked her and left.

 

Another day came and So was back from the learnings he had with his brothers from Song-Ak. He found no other prince but Yo and Queen Yoo, who was sitting on their seat, drinking teas. With no words So sat down on his and was waiting for Soo.

“Why did you go to the pond?” Yo asked.

Queen Yoo stopped drank her teas as So looked at his brother then replied.

“I accidentally dropped my mask there.” He replied.

“I see…” Yo only nodded his head with calm expression, “no wonder Lady Soo came back with her robes soaked.”

So wished he wanted to get out of the place, but he decided to be patient until Soo comes back from the kitchen.

“Although, to make Lady Soo go to all the trouble of picking up your horrid mask and making a cosmetics for your scar, you don’t know your own place, do you?”

So raised his eyebrows at Yo.

“Hae Soo is only paying you any attention because she pities your upbringing,” then Yo’s eyes glared at his estranged brother, “don’t get any ideas as to why she’s doting on you.”

The fourth prince, then, sneered as he finally understood the connection of his brother’s behaviors.

“So basically you’re jealous?”

His question caused the silence over the chamber. Queen Yoo’s eyes squinted as she glanced at his sons repeatedly. Yo’s eyes got widened. With his grasp on his tea trembling with anger, he stood up, glaring daggers at So.

“You dare to say such thing…, wolf-dog should know his place!”

Yo’s hand—that held the cup— sprung towards him and as the tea waters could collide with So’s scarred face, he was pushed away by Soo as she had her face received the hot temperature of waters. Yo’s sharp eyes grew wide, realizing his impulsive mistake since he gained other princes’ attention and the court ladies were froze from what they were doing.

“Soo, this is—”

Before the third prince could make any excuse, Soo’s eyes grew cold, bitter as she locked her gaze on him.

“You disgraceful brat,” she began, “you threw prince So’s mask in the pond, didn’t you?”

So and Queen Yoo’s eyes got widened. Two princes’ mother slowly looked at Yo, as if demanding what she said was true. Yo only scoffed incredulously.

“Do you have any proof?”

Then Soo pulled out an oh-so familiar small, bronze name medallion, with Yo’s name on it. With that, Crown Prince and Baek-Ah came to Soo. Mu formed a rather disappointed expression as Baek-Ah stood beside So. The third prince’s eyes got widened even more.

“We found this medallion at the pond. It’s yours, isn’t it?” Soo asked.

Unable to make any lies, Yo couldn’t say anything. Soo lightly threw it on the table where Yo sat in front of, making a blank expression then made a sweet, yet venomous smile. She approached and her right hand gently made a contact on Yo’s cheek.

“Your voice may be soothing as a velvety fabrics,” she began as her hand retracted away from his face, “but you are not fit to be my guest for a while.”

Yo’s hands clenched in fists as his lips made a thin line.

Other princes, princess Yeon-Hwa looked at them. Won gaped at the scene as Eun and Jung could only look at Soo, once more impressed. Wook blinked his eyes in surprise as Princess Yeon-Hwa smiled, also impressed at Soo and sneered at the humiliation Yo was suffering. Chae-Ryung who was serving prince Won could only respect her former lady even more.

Completely mortified, Yo literally walked away in anger as his mother Queen Yoo followed him. With them gone, Soo quickly checked for So in case if he was hurt. Mu asked if he was alright, and So could only nod his head.

The court ladies saw all along and they quietly whispered.

“Did you just see prince Yo’s face?”

“He was utterly rejected by our Lady Soo!”

“I know, right? Lady Soo’s officially my role-model!”

Soo sighed in relief as she saw nothing wrong with So and smiled. She dragged So towards where other princes stayed. Baek-Ah and Mu smiled as they followed the pair, inwardly praising with her bold, yet gracefully firm demeanors.

“Come on in, they are waiting for you!” She smiled brightly.

So looked at Soo. With a light blush on his cheeks, he smiled back.