Welcome to Damiwon

My Life As A Court Lady (Royal Hostess)

[After one year, So returned from his mission as an Ambassador and went to Song-Ak to see Soo, who has now become a higher-ranked court lady, a.k.a Royal Hostess, in her case. Hearing that, princes from Song-Ak requests for her, much to Crown Prince’s amusement.]

 

Damiwon was busy as usual. The low-ranked court ladies were at the kitchen, baking pastries and brewing the teas. The newly promoted, higher-ranked court lady Hae Soo directed others to clean around the area, keeping her poised, refined demeanor. Chae-Ryung, her old friend and new court lady walked over.

“My lady!” Chae-Ryung rushed over as she reached to her former lady, “he’s back!”

“Who?” Soo asked.

“The fourth prince! He’s waiting for you outside!”

With her eyes widened, Soo walked fast outside Damiwon and walked towards the garden, close to the pond. She walked down the stony steps and saw fourth prince, Wang So, who was smiling at her.

“Fourth prince, welcome back.” She smiled brightly.

So only nodded his head.

“How are you?” He asked.

“I’m fine. I got promoted as a higher-ranked court lady.” She replied.

The fourth prince didn’t say anything at that. He remembered when he heard that highly-ranked court ladies were often appointed, or being chosen by princes, or princess whom they have to serve and is allowed for make a conversation with them. They were considered as royal hostess, who were trained to brew the teas, baking pastries, and learn how to please the royalty. Luckily, inappropriate activities were known to be a taboo, otherwise the punishments awaits for both court lady and the member of royalty. In another words, they are much higher, more refined version of Giseng.

Imagining Hae Soo serving another man, let alone his brothers bothered him but he trust most of his brothers since they all treat her with friendship and in some degrees of affection.

When they walked to Damiwon, Chae-Ryung ran to her.

“My lady! The princes came! And they all ask for you!”

At that, So and Soo glanced at each other. Even though he was worried, he assured her she could go back to her work. Before Soo enter, she looked back and smiled.

“You could come if you want to.”


 

Back at the guest chamber where all the princes stay, Soo was serving them with teas and pastries she made for them. The Crown Prince and his brother Wang Tae* was drinking their favorite teas and smiled in satisfaction.

“As usual, your teas are brilliant.” Tae commented.

“Thanks to her, she seemed to bring much joy in this palace.” Crown Prince Mu nodded his head as he added.

Wang So was sitting on his respective spot, uncomfortable. He was watching Soo accompanying every prince and they seemed interested in any matter she was talking about. Even his third brother, Yo, was being unusually attentive to her topics. He was never the type of a prince to interact with the servants. Ever.

“As you can see, Soo is an exclusive court lady to be requested the most.” Baek-Ah informed quietly as So could only hear.

Eun and Jung questioned Soo about the pastries she made as they enjoyed them.

“I used to made them when Myung-Hee was alive. One time she didn’t have much appetite to eat any supper so I made one pastry to at least to stimulate it back. When I managed to make them delicious, she enjoyed them so much.” Soo smiled sadly.

She remembered the time her cousin Myung-Hee didn’t have much appetite to each any supper. As her cousin, Soo didn’t want to let her starve so she asked Chae-Ryung to bring any ingredients to make some pastries she knew how to make when she was at her own time at 21st century. It was rice-flour dumplings with different colors and flavours of flour. Even though Soo didn’t get red beans to fill them, she only rolled and shaped them as a form of sphere or filled them with sour sweet berries. When her cousin ate them, she smiled and genuinely enjoyed Soo’s pastries.


 

“Myung-Hee, here,” sixteen years old Soo put the dishes of pastries on the table, “I hope it could bring back your appetite.”

Myung-Hee, Wook, Princess Yeon-Hwa and Queen Hwangbo stared at the pastries they have never seen before. It was round and was attached with a wooden stick in three rows. First one has yellow powders, second has a green, and the third has reddish powder. The next dish has a white glutinous rice-cake and has different type of fruits and berries inside.

“Soo-ya, did you make these?” Wook asked, surprised.

Soo nodded her head. Myung-Hee picked one, smiling at the pastries. And tried one bit and chewed. She realized that Soo had filled the pastries with her favorite berries inside. Myung-Hee was genuinely enjoying it.

“My, it is delicious,” she mused, “can everyone try them?”

“Of course!”

Wook picked the rice-cake dumpling as both Yeon-Hwa and their mother Queen Hwangbo picked the different ones. They ate also, seemingly pleased with the taste.

“I’ve never eaten this pastries before…,” Queen Hwangbo smiled, “child, where did you learn to bake this?”

Soo only laughed awkwardly.

“I made them up…I used some of her favorite fruits to make them.” Soo replied.

For once, Yeon-Hwa agreed with the taste of the bakings and was impressed.
“With these, you can get married anytime,” she commented, “I’m sure, someday, your future husband would love them.”

Soo looked down shyly, unaware of Wook’s cheeks flushed in pink at his sister’s words. Myung-Hee patted her cousins head, giving warm smile.

“Thank you, Soo.”

And Soo smiled back as the eighth prince residence was filled with laughter.


 

“When I think such great times back then, I’d feel delighted to serve them to you also.” Soo made a most radiant smile.

Eun and Jung could feel their heart pounding loudly as they were blushing.

“Uhm, could we request you tomorrow?” Eun asked bashfully.

“Of course~! Anytime.” Soo smiled.

Won and Yo took a bite on the pastries she made. They noticed their favorite fruits inside and was chewing them.

“Woah, she’s good at this,” Won commented then looked at Soo, “you can be a bride any day with this talents!”

“T—thank you, sire.” Soo only bowed.

Making a knowing smile, Tae then asked.

“Ever considered married to any one of my brothers?” He asked as his eyes were briefly glancing at So.

The second prince’s question caused most of the prince to spat their teas. Both Yo and So choked on his favorites as Wook coughed. Eun and Jung was blushing red, not saying anything. They were looking at Soo, expecting her reaction. She was flustered by Tae’s question as Crown Prince laughed heartily. 
All of sudden, Eun leaped on Soo.

“NO~! Soo, I don’t want you to married off and leave here!” He whined.

With composed manner, Soo only patted tenth prince’s head like a mother soothing her child.

“Don’t worry, I’m not getting married.” She said in calm manner.

“Really?” Eun perked up, hopefully.

So and Wook frowned when she told him she won’t be married to anyone—especially to one the princes, trying hide their upset expression. So’s expression didn’t go unnoticed by Baek-Ah who was smirking inwardly. Then Soo’s eyes glanced at So’s, smiling fondly.

“Probably…” She finished.

Everyone blinked their eyes in confusion. Tae and Crown Prince grinned, taking a hint on what she meant. Eun paled as Jung froze. Won whistled in amusement as Yo squinted his sharp eyebrows. Wook blinked his eyes and Baek-Ah take a sneak on So’s expression. 

“I’ll take my leave then.” Soo excused herself and dismissed.

The princes then making a loud fuss over what she meant at the last word. Little did they knew, So looked away as his cheeks were flushed with the combined shades of red and pink while considering to request for Soo next time he goes to Damiwon.

During young night, Hae Soo was busy writing on the book and heard Chae-Ryung entered with large smile.

“My lady! You have earned the most requests! The princes will come again tomorrow!” Chae-Ryung almost squealed.

Soo grinned as she went back to writing. Chae-Ryung noticed them.

“What are those?” She asked curiously.

“These are about fourth prince’s favorite teas and snacks. I’m also adding his favorite fruits, in case he come back tomorrow.”

Chae-Ryung tilted her head, the paled.

“Does that mean…fourth prince requested you too?!”

Soo nodded her head, kept her smile remained.

 

 

Note: 

Since this fic is considered as midquel of “Everybody Loves Soo”, some OCs from that fic will also appear. Wang Tae is one of them (check chapter 7 pf Everybody Loves Soo).