The Songbird's Curse

The First Snow

 

 


It was getting colder and colder as he walk down the already covered with snow forest. He spent his weeks searching for it again. Fruits are all he had as food and the melted ice from the tree branches as water. A month had passed and the winter season ended. Taehyung took the courage to go back to the castle again for further explanation.

 

"I hadn't seen him Prince. I'm sorry."


"Wait again until the next winter season, you'll get to see your family at the time you have my songbird."

 

Even if the winter ended a week ago. He felt coldness in the Prince's voice that hindered him to even complain again. What can he do? He have to risk his own happiness for his family. There's the possibility that the Prince can kill all he would like to be killed when he didn't have what he would likely to have. And it is scaring Taehyung to the bones.

 

One thing he had done, built a small house out in that woods. After all, he mostly live there than in the castle as his family thought. The house was rather small and is only good for two people. But it was a relief. He didn't have to sleep on the cold ground with small creepy insects creeping on him. At noon, he hunts wild birds to cook and eat. Go down on the mountain side to fetch water from the spring. His life became simple as that as time went on.

 

Days became months, and months unexpectedly became a year already. He still couldn't found the bird and still has no face to face the prince.

 

But then, one night when Taehyung was asleep, the wind breeze are as cold as ice. Though its not yet winter season. He pulled over his head the blanket he weaved out of pine thread. Clothes felt thin even more. Then it went on for a week. He thought it was caused by something but he then realized, it was done by the one he was hunting for.

 

The heavenly singing voice was back. Taehyung went out quickly as he noticed the round bright moon above. The prince was right. It sings during full moons. And his voice makes the snow fall from the sky. It was nonetheless the right time to shoot that mute swan before it slip away again.

 

He took his arrow and the bows. Run where ever his feet will take him as he follows the voice in the dark woods. Taehyung was panting and simultaneously grunting over the bushes of leaves blocking his way. He saw a bright light a few runs away as the voice became louder on his ears.

 

Then, Taehyung jumped infront of the glowing figure and the singing was suddenly stopped. His eyes are wide as he stared at the manly figure. This is the songbird?

 

"W-Who are you?"
Taehyung utterly said. Reaching for a bow and pointing the arrow to the guy, glowing guy.

 

"I'm Jeon Jungkook."
The glow fade away and a boy in all white stood firmly infront of Taehyung, widely smiling.

 

"Are you the mute swan people here talks about?"

 

"Um, yes. Hm, this is my first time to encounter a human in my centuries being a mute swan. It felt nice."
Jungkook smiled again. The innocence are embroided in his eyes.

 

"The prince wants you so you have to come with me!"
Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's arm roughly and the other was forced to follow.

"What's your name?"


"Kim Taehyung."


"Um, where are we going?"


"To my house."


"You have a house? Is it big like I imagined it to be?"


"No, it wasn't big. Only enough for two people."


"Then it would be perfect for us two!"

 

Taehyung sighed and dragged Jungkook back in his house. The smaller's arms are too soft for Taehyung's rough grip.

They reached the small house immediately. Thanks for Taehyung's long strides and Jungkook's effort to pace up. Taehyung took the other across the bed and slammed the wooden door shut.

"Am I going to stay here?"


"No. I'm taking you to the castle tomorrow."


"Why? Did I do something bad? Did your Prince doesn't want me calling the Snow Queen to snow again?"

"You.. what?"


"I'm calling for the Snow Queen to give your country a short winter season. That's what I do for most of my life."


"Why did you became a mute swan?"

"A farmer cursed me. Saying that I'm the reason why their crops aren't growing because of the long winter season I always requested. With that, Mother Superior punished me and I went mute and a swan. I was once a human. I didn't know I harm others. I just want to help."

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

The following day Taehyung woke up with Jungkook cuddling on his sides. The boy was shivering in coldness as Taehyung remembered how he told Jungkook to stay and sleep on the floor last night.

"What are you doing?"
He asked Jungkook who threw himself on the hard bed. Ready to sleep and all.

"Going to sleep. Humans do that and I'm a human right now."

"No no no. Get up. Your going to sleep.. here."

"What? You're not letting me sleep on that cold floor right, Taehyung?"

"Guess what? I'm currently doing it."

Taehyung yanked Jungkook's arm and he fell on the floor. Then he jump up on his bed and laid comfortably there. With a thick thread of blanket above him.

"I cant even have blanket now? Its snowing Taehyung! I might die freezing."
Jungkook shook Taehyung.

"Make a way to warm yourself. You're not only a swan for nothing."

Jungkook sniffed and pouted as he pulled his knees to his chest while wrapping it with his arms. The night was so cold and Jungkook felt it more than Taehyung did.


Meanwhile, Taehyung glanced over at Jungkook who sat silently on the corner of his bed. He'll just bear with the cold tonight because tomorrow he'll have soft warm bed at the castle once Taehyung hand him to the Prince. He doesn't feel sympathy, Jungkook's the reason why he cant go home for more than a year.

But the vibrating body of Jungkook against him was so intense. It was like Jungkook's dying from coldness or what. As a good human being than the prince, Taehyung covered the other with some of his blanket. Then Jungkook's body stayed still and normal again. His eyes were closed and lips still quivering. Taehyung stood up to leave Jungkook sleeping but a hand dragged him down to the bed again.

 

"C-Cold.. c-cold.. "
Jungkook stammered.

"Let go."


"C-Cold.. "


Then the next thing Taehyung felt, arms around his waist and a face on his chest. It was too tight, Jungkook's hug was tight enough to have Taehyung still for a moment.

"Jungkook! Let go!"


He pushed the boy away but nothing happened. Jungkook continued to cuddle on his chest like a baby afraid to lose a bear. Sad to think but the bear here was Taehyung.

"T-Taehyung.. i-its cold."


"So what? Are you dying?"


"Hug me.. p-please.. "


"No way."


"Yes way, Taehyung. If you dont wanna die in my hands like what I did to ten people last era."


"What?"


"Just. Hug. Me. If. You. Still. Want. Live."

 

Blackmail, was it? Clever. But half of him did believe on Jungkook. It wasn't impossible for him to kill really. Within a minute or two, Taehyung's arm was around Jungkook's body and the other cuddled even closer causing him to breath harder and heart beats faster.

When an hour passed with the two of them still sticking to each other, Taehyung felt comfortable and laid there relaxingly. Swithching it from his stiff self earlier.

Metal clangs reached Taehyung's ear. Heavy footsteps around went audible. He pulled away from Jungkook carelessly and peeked over his window. He saw a group of castle armies, armored, weaponed and looks like they were searching for something. He took his weapon with him and shook Jungkook awake.

"Hm?"


"Get up. We're leaving."


"What? Are you really going to give me to the prince?"


"Yes, and he's angry now. Get up. Hide somewhere for a while. I'll be back."

Taehyung went out and faced the armies.

"What brought you here?"
He asked.


"The Prince asked to find you together with the bird."
One of them said.

"Tell him I caught the bird and we'll be there within a week."


"Why would you take such long period of time?"


"Just tell him, can you?"


"Tell us the truth, you had the bird or-- "


"I had him I said. I just need to sort things out."

"Be sure of it young boy. You know what will happen."


"I know. Now leave."


The armies took a second or two to finally walk away from Taehyung. The thick and white snow are making their pace slow and Taehyung turned around the moment they're out of his sight.

 

"Jungkook."
He called and the latter came out from under the bed.


"Let's go. We need to leave."


"No."

Taehyung went pass through him and stuffled some stuff to his bag. Changing his clothes into thick one infront of Jungkook.

 

"I'm poor Jungkook. I cant support you and I had a family. Besides, the prince was obsessed with you and he can provide you everything."


He tossed a clothe to the other.

"I don't need everything."


"Shut up. Now, follow me."

They went out of the small house and walked through the snowy forest. Jungkook followed behind Taehyung with head hanging low.

 

"You okay?"
Taehyung asked with a bit concern. The latter might've been frustrated with what Taehyung plans to do to him. He regret and should've been more gentle of saying that.

"Yeah. Just cold."


The other said with a lifeless tone and Taehyung stopped. He grabbed Jungkook's hand and intertwined it with his then tugged it both inside his clothes. Jungkook's eyes are twinkling confused.

"Feeling better now?"


"Yes. Thanks."


They both smiled and continued walking hand in hand. Taehyung thought its good to be nice for the meantime towards this cursed swan.

"Where are we going?"
Jungkook muttered.


"Down town. I need to work atleast before the Prince cut my family's finances."


"Then I'll help you."


"Okay."

Their conversation didn't really last long. An answer to a question, a short respond was enough. Unless Jungkook will flood him questions about something.

"Penguins. They don't fly like the swans."

Taehyung said.


"Hey, we do fly but not far enough. Have you seen penguins?"


"Not yet but I've read a lot about them."


"Ow. Let's see some penguins together someday."

Jungkook asked about other birds who can't fly this time.

"I'm wondering. Aren't you transforming into a swan any moment now?"


"That.. the curse's broken."

Taehyung stopped and rest on some snow covered log for a while.

"How come it was broken? I'm not aware."


He blew breath on his palm and placed it on his face to warm himself a bit. Jungkook stood infront of him, watching Taehyung amusingly.

"You weren't aware? You're the one who broke it."


Taehyung glared up on him and Jungkook gave him a warm smile that heat his cheeks.

"Wha-What do you mean?"


He asked. Jungkook reached down on his chest slowly and his face heat up even more.

"Yah! What are you doing?!"


"Stay still."


Jungkook slipped a hand on Taehyung's bare chest and caressed something.

"Look at it."


Taehyung did. He saw an embroided figure of a swan inside a circle on the left side of his chest.

"That's me. And I am bound to you like you are bound to me."
Taehyung hadn't said a word and just narrowed his brows.

 

"Earlier when I nuzzled against you, I took that chance to carved myself into you. Knowing that I might loose you and the chance too. I'm always into you from now on. And that's how you broke the curse."

"I-I dont get it."


"I'm into you and no one can change that."


"I still dont get it."


"Then just dont!"

Jungkook held both side and Taehyung's cheek and squeezed it.

"You're so cute!"


He tap his cheeks before planting a peck on the latter's lip. Taehyung felt his nose, ears and cheek heat up to its boiling point. His eyes are wide and staring up on the boy who just stole his first kiss.

"Yah! You dont kiss me like that!"


"Why? Humans do that. We're humans."


"Not with another boy!"


"Really? I thought I just saw my boy cousin kissing another boy back when I'm just a child."


"That's back then! It changed now! Don't do that again!"

"Why are you yelling?"

"I'm not!"


"Hm? Just a bit higher than your normal one, huh?"


"Yes!"


"Okay. Why is your face red?"


"Its.. its-- "
"You cant say its hot here because its freezing cold."


"Stop it Jungkook!"


"Stop what Taehyung?"

 

 

 


"STOP TALKING!"

 

 

 

 

Then Taehyung started to walk away from the laughing Jungkook.