3.-

Ethereal Roses

Chapter 3:

 

Silence filled the room for a few moments. JongDae was still stunned. He definitely wasn’t the person that he had walked into outside the coffee shop. His doctor did not resemble that person at all. MinSeok tried to break the silence.

 

 

 

“Well- So you two have met before?” MinSeok looked at the two.

 

 

 

JongDae tried to recall as much as he could to see if he could even remember seeing the doctor at all. No, he didn’t and he was 101% sure that he was not the person he had bumped into.

 

 

 

 

“Well, I guess we were just passing by each other that you couldn’t recognise me. I was at Doctor Lee’s clinic on the day you had your last appointment. I was at the entrance of the clinic when you exited- I guess that’s the reason why you couldn’t recognise me.” Doctor Kim laughed softly as he explained how they met. JongDae slightly nodded, understanding how they had their little meeting unknowingly.

 

 

 

 

Wait so who exactly is the person JongDae walked into at the coffee shop?

 

     

 

 

“Right, that’s rude of me. I’m Kim JoonMyun, and I will be your doctor from now on.” JoonMyun shot JongDae a warm smile. JongDae didn’t know what to reply, so he gave a small smile and a nod. “Well, we might probably start out awkward at first, but I am sure we’ll get along.” JoonMyun continued.

 

 

 

 

“Anyways, JongDae, I suggest you take rest first. It will be a long day for both of us tomorrow… And just to confirm with you-” JoonMyun took out a file with huge words on the cover ‘Seoul’s Private Hospital.’ And the other small fonts were the name of the patient, name of the doctor, ward, record number. The file was then passed to JongDae.

 

 

 

“Please check if the informations inside the folder are all correct.” JongDae flipped open the file. He looked at the name, next-of-kin, number, address, identity number, and a lot more things which were included inside along with the Agreement letter and referral letter, and even documents about his allergies to nuts and weight records. He was told to make sure they were all accurate. He took about 15 minutes or so to check them. Not that they actually went to count the minutes that he took to check everything.

 

 

 

Meanwhile, MinSeok and Doctor Kim were having a conversation at the side while JongDae checked his particulars.

 

 

“Ah, MinSeok, the assistant from that day would only come tomorrow. Do your best to guide him through, alright?” Doctor Kim informed MinSeok. He just nodded, agreeing to his boss’s orders. With this, JongDae knew that there would be another assistant under Doctor Kim.

 

 

Did this mean that JongDae was facing a serious illness, or was it just that Doctor Kim hired another assistant because he was lacking? Whatever it was, Doctor Kim was handling JongDae as the only patient. There weren't many reasons that Doctor Kim would need more assistants.

 

 

 

 

Maybe it was because it's a disease that no doctor had ever encountered before. Maybe-

 

 

 

 

His thoughts were interrupted.

 

 

 

“Are you done?” JoonMyun stepped closer to JongDae with a wide smile. It looked rather warm, which made JoonMyun look even more approachable than he already was.

 

 

 

“Yes, yes I’m done. They’re all correct and there isn’t anything that needs to be added.” JongDae flashed a smile as well to reassure the doctor. MinSeok nodded at the doctor.

 

 

“That’s it for today, I’ll see you tomorrow morning at 9, before breakfast. I’ll measure your height and weight first. After that you can have breakfast. Then we’ll do a few tests, okay?” Doctor Kim gave a quick brief of what would be going on the next day. JongDae just nodded in reply. “Rest well and drink lots of water.” Doctor Kim gave JongDae a quick pat on his shoulder, with a smile still fixated on his face.

 

 

 

“See you.” JongDae said in reply, and watched the doctor and his assistant walk out of his ward. ‘Seems like the doctor isn’t as bad as I thought after all… he seems like a nice person.’ JongDae shrugged it off and felt relieved. That at least gave him some assurance that the doctor would not be harsh on him or anything. JongDae then took his phone, which was lying on the side table for about an hour long, untouched. He had received a few messages from his friends, whom asked how Seoul was.

 

 

 

And then a text from Chanyeol: “cat-lips, how are you doing in Seoul? Have you eaten well? What is your doctor like-” JongDae stared at the message and stopped reading halfway through, then dialled the number which he remembered like the back of his hand. All it took were three rings and the person from the other side of the line picked up the call.

 

 

 

“JongDae-ah?” The familiar deep voice spoke, which JongDae smiled upon.

 

 

“Hey, Chanyeol. I’m doing fine, I have the whole ward to myself, both doctor and assistant are kind. I think I’ll do fine here.” JongDae spoke in a soft voice as his fingers fiddled with the blanket. It was as if he was talking to his lover, but really, they were merely best friends. JongDae laid down on bed and stared up at the white ceiling. 

 

 

 

 

“Ah, I see… It’s nice to hear that you are doing well. One day without you and its already boring…” JongDae could only imagine Chanyeol on the other side of the line, pouting like a kid as he always did. Despite Chanyeol being big sized, he was pretty much a kid inside. He may had matured from time to time, but usually, he was childish and fooling around a lot. Same goes for JongDae, as he had his childish times too.

 

 

 

And that was what made them best friends. They were almost similar.

 

 

“Hmm, then all the more reasons that you should visit Seoul soon!” JongDae chuckled and turned around over on his stomach as he continued to talk. “The doctor wasn’t available today, his assistant took me to a fashion street. It was pretty fun in Seoul, really!” JongDae spoke excitedly, and he thought on how much he would be blabbering to Chanyeol in the conversation.

 

 

 

 

 

They talked a lot, for almost 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe even more. They talked until they fell asleep on the phone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

8.50 A.M. in the morning and a few knocks were heard on the door.

 

 

 

“JongDae? Did you get enough rest?” MinSeok came in after the knocks. “Yes, Yes I did. I think I am slowly getting used to the smell here.” JongDae laughed it off.

 

 

“You’ll definitely get used to it within a week or two here. Anyways, let’s go and see the doctor, shall we?” MinSeok smiled, and gestured for JongDae to follow him.

 

 

 

JongDae followed MinSeok to a room, indicated “BMI measurement”. MinSeok knocked, then waited for a reply from the room, entering right after being permitted.

 

 

“JongDae!” The doctor looked up from his documents and smiled. Sounded like he was happy at the sight of JongDae. “How are you this morning?”

 

 

“I’m good, I rested pretty well,” JongDae replied, as he approached the doctor and took a seat infront of him.

 

 

“That’s good. So… the symptoms you are experiencing are loss of appetite, coughing, eye irritation and… hair loss, right?” JoonMyun read from the document, then looked back at JongDae after he mentioned all the symptoms. JongDae slightly nodded in agreement. “How is your hair loss situation? Is it really bad?” JoonMyun asked again, trying to make sure.

 

 

 

“It is all around random places. Every time I run my hand through my hair… It’s about more than 5 strands of hair on my fingers…” JongDae slightly shifted in his seat, feeling uncomfortable whenever he mentioned about his hair loss.

 

 

 

“Have you experienced any weight loss? The last time you had your weight measured was with Doctor Lee right? 63.4 kilogrammes, was it?” Again, he read off the document.

 

 

 

JongDae nodded once again.

 

 

 

“Well, let’s take your height and weight again, shall we?” JoonMyun suggested, as he got up and walked towards the height and weight scale. “After this, you can proceed to have breakfast.” He turned it on. JongDae followed the doctor. Waited for the signal to get on the machine. “Alright… JongDae you may get on.” JongDae proceeded with the action he was told to do, and looked straight to ensure his height was accurate.

 

 

 

JoonMyun took the readings off the scale down. “Okay, you can get off now.” JongDae stepped down, then looked at the doctor, felling slightly nervous at the look the doctor was giving him. “Do you know what’s your weight, JongDae?” The doctor patted JongDae on the back gently, then gestured for him to sit back down. JongDae could literally feel cold sweat.

 

 

 

“I haven’t measured it for quite some time.” JongDae answered, which in other words, told the doctor that he did not know his own current weight.

 

 

 

They both sat down, MinSeok was at the side all along. Quiet.

 

 

 

“The last time Doctor Lee took your weight was… 10 days ago.” JoonMyun checked again. JongDae nodded quietly

 

 

 

 

 

“Do you know that you’re experiencing weight loss too, JongDae?” JoonMyun stared at JongDae worriedly. JongDae couldn’t answer, he was shocked himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Weight loss? Was that another symptom to be added onto the weird illness he was experiencing? Or was it due to his loss of appetite?

 

 

 

 

 

“You never noticed about it, huh?” JoonMyun pursed his lips, as he stared at the paper again. “Your current weight is 59.4 kilogrammes.”

 

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

All three of them went speechless.

 

 

 

“It might be due to your loss of appetite. However, we can’t be 100% sure that the loss of appetite is the cause of your weight loss.” JoonMyun mentioned, breaking the silence. “JongDae, I need you to try your best to eat more, is that alright?” JoonMyun suggested, to make sure that JongDae’s weight wouldn’t go any lower than it already was. JongDae needed to make sure it was due to the appetite.

 

 

 

 

 

JongDae wished it was. He hoped weight loss wasn’t another symptom of his illness.

 

 

 

 

“MinSeok, if you can, do me a favour and do look out for him if he is eating well, okay?” JoonMyun turned his chair to look at MinSeok, who agreed with yet, another nod. “I’ll see you after breakfast, JongDae.” JoonMyun nodded slightly at JongDae and then at MinSeok. Even after that small amount of nagging, his smile never failed to disappear from his lips.

 

 

 

--

 

JongDae and Minseok both got some breakfast in the hospital’s canteen. JongDae’s mind was all hoping that he had the appetite to eat. MinSeok noticed how tense JongDae was, and a chuckle escaped his lips.

 

 

“It’s fine, just relax. You’ll eat even less if you’re nervous or thinking too much.” JongDae slightly relaxed after he heard what MinSeok said. “Let’s talk about something, shall we?” Minseok asked, as they both started eating once they got a seat.

 

 

“Like What?” JongDae asked, shoving a spoonful of food in his mouth.

 

 

“What’s your first impression of Doctor Kim?” Minseok continued, as he sipped his drink.

 

 

“He’s really kind! I like him- I mean, not that type of like though! He just gives off a good vibe.” MinSeok chuckled at JongDae’s answer, slightly nodding before he took the food in his mouth.

 

 

 

“Sure you don’t. Well, do you want to know my first meeting with Doctor Kim?” he spoke after he swallowed. JongDae was actually about to ask about it. He was interested. He wanted to know.

 

 

 

“Well, the first time I met him, it was in the Children’s ward.” Minseok cleared his throat. “This kid had to take a vaccination. He was so scared of needles, that he didn’t want to take any. We didn’t know how to calm him down. Even toys didn’t work for the kid.” And another sip of drink. “Doctor Kim came in the room, noticed the kid, and he told him: “monsters would grow in your body, and papa and mama would not be able to protect you from these monsters. But this thing,” and Doctor Kim took the vaccine and showed the kid. “this thing would protect you from the monsters and help you to be strong enough to kill them. You want to be a hero and kill the monsters?” And the kid surprisingly stopped crying. He nodded at Doctor Kim’s words, agreeing that he wants to be a hero. Doctor Kim continued, “if you want to be a hero, you need to take this vaccine that gives you the superpower to become one.”” The both adults laughed at how the Doctor had tricked the kid to take the vaccine.

 

 

 

“The kid immediately agreed to take the vaccine! Incredible, isn’t it?” JongDae agreed, the way JoonMyun convinced the kid was funny, but amazing and really ingenuous. “Doctor Kim is really soft-hearted, but he never really got close to anyone. The first time I met him, I told myself, ‘I need to be an assistant to this doctor.’ And even now, as an assistant of his, he still doesn’t let me know much about him. So, he’s really a selfless person. I respect him.”

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

And soon, they had finished their breakfast. Heading to the room labelled under ‘Venepuncture room’. They were just walking through a hallway before a voice called out.

 

 

 

 

A voice JongDae actually recognised.

 

 

 

Where had he heard the voice before? JongDae turned around, slightly squinted to get a better sight of a figure brisk walking towards them.

 

 

 

 

Who is this guy anyway…
 

 

 

 

That even JongDae recognises?

 

 

 

 


 

Author's note:

I'm sorry for the late update, at least it is still Friday, right? I had been busy with college and barely had the time to write. I only managed to finish it few moments ago and editor nimmmmm is nowhere to be found! Comment anyone?

Curious on who that person was at the end of the chapter? Stay tuned to find out! Hahaha, it is surprising it wasn't suho huh? Plot twist ayyyy. Subscribe and upvote! And again, i wish to get some comments from y'all. I would greatly appreciate it!  Thanks for reading! 

 

 

Editor's note:

 

Ohkay i LOVED THIS UPDATE

AND THE TWIST IS SO EFFING AMAZING

LOVE YOU AUTHOR NIM <3

I think i KNOW who that stranger is, eh eh :3

well lets not spoil it for our precious subscribers and readers 

 

Stay tune for more fun <3

-Love, Editor nimmmm

Note to author:

 

Its Baekhyunnie Potter, not just Potter -.-

 

ps: I'm way cuter than this author's flat