(5)

Milk and Cookies (ChanBaek)

Because I made my dear audience wait so long for that last chapter, here's another one as an apology! This one is almost 8,000 words, so it's longer than the usual. I didn't mean to go onto a sort of hiatus there, I'll try to update more regularly.

Also, your comments reduce me to a squealing, sighing, giggling mess because you're all so cute and you say such nice things, and now I get all cheeky every time I get a comment notification because you're all so loving. Thank you so much! Your comments inspire me to keep it going!


Just as Chanyeol had promised, the opening doesn't last long. Once Chanyeol had left the stage Baekhyun latched himself to the Alpha, this time completely unwilling to let him go.

Then just like that they're passing through the auditorium doors into the rustling, rumbling arena of seating. Once Chanyeol emerges there is a vague chorus of cheers, and some of the other famous VIPs in the front section turn their heads to take a look. Chanyeol wastes no time escorting Baekhyun around the edge of the reserved seating arrangements - the Omega somewhat aware of the security trailing them - under the pretty moodlighting and past rows and rows of elegantly and beautifully dressed werewolves. He stops once or twice to shake some hands, but eventually they make it down towards the very front of the stage where there is arranged seating around tables and lounging seats. Baekhyun's eyes glisten with wonder as his eyes trace the edge of the stage, sparkling with electricity, and then he realizes that Chanyeol is stopping here - that they have front-row seating.

Chanyeol releases Baekhyun's arm to pull out a chair for him and the Omega bashfully complies with the offer, squirming a bit in his chair to catch curious watchful eyes from around them as Chanyeol seats himself beside him.

"We're awfully close," Baekhyun mutters, some of the nearby tables turning their heads as if so intentionally and obviously listening in.

"Only the best," Chanyeol says with a grin. He leans in and very politely and discreetly pecks Baekhyun's cheek, and the Omega scoots closer to him before leaning in and whispering away from prying ears,

"Alpha, am I doing okay so far?"

Chanyeol puts his elbows onto the edge of the small table, taking Baekhyun's palm in his. He caresses the smaller's hand and presses his knuckles to his lips, his bright eyes peeking over Baekhyun's fingers. He nods and giggles, "You're doing wonderfully."

They spend the next few seconds gazing lovingly at each other as the other idols get settled around them, Baekhyun finally taking the time to admire Chanyeol's handsome face in detail, and he's decided that if there's anyone that deserves to have a hundred photos of himself taken every single day, it's the man sitting next to him. There's a serene kindness to the slim curve of his nose, the bright shine to his cheeks is friendly and boyish, and yet there is a serious and intelligent thoughtfulness in his thick, long brows. His lips belong on a marble sculpture in the Louvre - he belongs in the Louvre. There simply is no other word for him than handsome. His eyes feel so familiar, so familial and warm, and they are the kindest and most approachable Alpha eyes he's ever had the pleasure to look into. Overall Chanyeol's face ignites Baekhyun's wolf inside and makes him want to kiss the Alpha, to run his fingers through the Alpha's dark hair, and press himself under the Alpha's chin.

He now understands what all his mated friends are going on about when they say it's the greatest feeling in the world. He will now be able to re-watch all of the greatest romance films and know that his romance is ten times better just looking into Chanyeol's eyes. It feels like imprinting all over again.

Baekhyun doesn't know what to say. So he resorts to leaning in and kissing Chanyeol's cheek, though just as his lips come in contact an eruption of screams from behind them hit his ears and he whips around, startled by the fans' reaction. Then he quickly faces forward again, hiding his mouth, and then his face behind his hands. In a crack between his fingers in his peripheral vision he sees Chanyeol turn to face the fans instead, but he doesn't look frightened or phased in the least. The taller smiles, raises his hand, and then turns back around.

Baekhyun feel his breath in the shell of his ear.

"You're doing great, my beautiful Omega."

"They're shouting at me."

"They're cheering for us."

Baekhyun doesn't believe that at all, but he does sneak his hands away from his face. He sends Chanyeol an apologetic look, but before anything else can be said the lights begin to dim again. Baekhyun grasps Chanyeol's hand as his heart begins a thunderous race in his chest. It goes dark and Baekhyun's wolf senses take over - his hearing and sense of smell heighten, picking up on the ruffling of the girl's skirt beside him, on the smell of chocolate somewhere in front of him on the table, the sizzle of carbonated water, and - dare he say - Chanyeol's excited heartbeat. Chanyeol clutches his hand back. Baekhyun feels the prickle of faint perspiration on his upper lip and he reaches up with his free hand to straighten the comma-like curve of his bangs over his forehead.

And then a rumble vibrates up from their seats and in front of them the stage zings to life as the lights rise, revealing a single figure, and behind him, what appears to be his band. The crowd cheers and the performer doesn't wait to start, his band striking up a friendly, energetic tune. Baekhyun does recognize the song - he's heard it in the store, or maybe in a commercial. The man holds his pitch well and sends some of the fans into a frenzy with a few winks. Baekhyun stares, completely enraptured in this modern culture of the flashing lights and TV smiles and fan chants that does not feel like his own. He simultaneously feels like someone dumped a bucket of icewater over his head and has also put him into a lucid, fanciful dream. His parents didn't let him go to concerts like these: he's only seen 200-seated, local, traditional music and dance performances. He can list every one of his favorite classical and baroque composers, and the best tribal and pack songs to dance to, but this is all foreign to him.

The song goes on, and then finishes, and the crowd cheers. Baekhyun takes the cue to applaud though he feels a bit dazed as he - unknowingly - inches closer to Chanyeol. The MCs offer a bit of commentary, and then he watches bewilderedly as two new people emerge from somewhere on the stage and stride forward on confident legs to the front where a microphone awaits them, and Baekhyun awes as the set changes immediately as well, colors fading and turning into a shimmering beacon.

The two introduce themselves, and one of them is some producer or CEO of sorts, perhaps of a television network or something, and the other is a woman that Baekhyun recognizes from his mother's stack of old CDs.

"Welcome to the Seoul Music Awards!" the elder man says. "We are here to celebrate the pioneers of our modern music industry. Congratulations to our honorary idols and artists for their achievements!”

He pulls out a small slip of paper from behind his script card and prepares to announce the first award winner, which Baekhyun gathers is a Bonsang, which he doesn't really know what it signifies. The entire audience falls into a lull, like a breath before a plunge underwater, and a few premature screams echo through the space and sizzle in the heated anticipation.

"Tonight's first award, and first Bonsang goes to..."

Baekhyun holds his breath.

"P.C.Y.!"

The stadium explodes with cheers and lights wave all around them, but then the announcer's words hit Baekhyun like a punch to the stomach. He buries himself into Chanyeol's side, clutching to his midsection, but his attempts are in vain. He feels Chanyeol shift beside him and suddenly there's a camera there in front of them, and the screams get louder.

Chanyeol has to go up and receive his award, and Baekhyun knows this, but he's frozen fearfully next to the Alpha, ducking his head out of the camera's frame.

He feels Chanyeol lean over him and whisper in his ear, "Do you want to come up on stage with me?"

He shakes his head.

"Do you want to stay here?"

Another shake.

Chanyeol's gentle hand rests on his ribcage. "I'm so sorry, but you have like five seconds to decide."

Baekhyun can barely hear him over the crowd and the announcers as well, but the immediate dilemma burns his insides and sends him into a panic, and he feels tears threaten to attack him. He trembles, he doesn't want to let Chanyeol go, and he's being trivial but he just can't!

"Ch-Chanyeol..."

Then suddenly he feels another pair of hands on him, on his other side. They're soft and warm - submissive hands. He looks over and sees a thin, finely dressed young Omega sitting himself down on the chair beside him, a welcome smile on his face. The man must be about Baekhyun's height, but he looks drastically different with high, prominent cheekbones that adorn a slim, long face, then a thin nose, pink lips that curl up at the corners, and shimmering, kind eyes.

"Hey there," he says gently over the din of the audience. His hospitable palms coax Baekhyun away from Chanyeol and up to a sitting position, and the stranger wraps his arm around Baekhyun's shoulder as he takes Baekhyun's nearby hand, and the Omega glances from the other submissive to Chanyeol, who has snuck out of his seat with a thankful glance behind him at the stranger. Baekhyun gapes, startled and flustered, as Chanyeol makes his way up the burgundy steps and onto the side of the stage where the others wait for him.

Chanyeol still looks so beautiful up there.

The camera that waits in front of them is still there, but the red light that had just been on is now dark, so Baekhyun assumes they're not broadcasting. Despite himself, he squeezes the other Omega's hand as Chanyeol moves forward on the stage.

"Hey, it's okay," the other Omega whispers. "Breathe, you're holding your breath."

Baekhyun lets out a heavy, tight sigh, and then turns his wide eyes to the stranger. At second glance, he can now see the black eyeliner winging the submissive's eyes, and the shimmer on his cheeks, and Baekhyun realizes how pretty this man is, how endearingly sweet his expression is.

"I'm Jongdae. You must be Alpha Chanyeol's new mate?"

Baekhyun nods, speechless.

The stranger - who now has a name: Jongdae - goes on. "I'm an Omega too. I could feel your distress from over there," He jerks his head in the direction of a small table where a few other Omegas wait. "I'm a friend of Chanyeol's."

Baekhyun blushes and drops his head, the previous moment - now over with - rushing back to him. "I - I'm so sorry, I just freak out and...I'm sorry."

"No no, don't apologize," Jongdae says as he shakes Baekhyun's shoulder lightly, his touch playful. "I'm here to help. You both looked a bit panicked there." His soft fingers brush over Baekhyun's comfortingly and Jongdae mutters nice words into Baekhyun's ear as they watch Chanyeol step up to receive his award with a bouquet of flowers, the blossoms so abundant that one could almost say they nearly dwarf the Alpha. A glorious smile comes to Chanyeol's face as he greets the microphone, and it's like he's glowing, so shining and magnetic.

He wishes the audience a good evening and introduces himself, and then the thank-yous begin.

"I'm honored to be the first of many talented fellow artists and musicians to stand up on this stage tonight. Thank you so much for this award, it's so exciting to see them start collecting on my shelf at the company." He laughs. "This Bonsang belongs to the fans as much as it does to me, for their support and love and loyalty. Thank you to my manager-hyung, and to SM Entertainment. My parents, my friends, who have all brought me this far...uh...my producer - " Only Baekhyun hears how the Alpha's voice tightens just slightly. " - Kris Wu. And - " It goes on with several names that have no meaning to the Omega. He wraps it up with: "And thank you finally to my beautiful mate - " He lets out a breathless sigh as their eyes meet, and the audience rallies up again. It takes a second, but Chanyeol regains his composure and continues. " - Who is here with me for the first time tonight - "

Baekhyun awes up at his mate, comforted by Jongdae's excited squeeze around his shoulders - so much so that he completely misses the camera on him again. But then the focus is back on the Alpha up on the stage.

"One last thank you to my fans, whom I adore. Let's love!"

He bows again and the MCs direct him off stage - as soon as he's out of sight Baekhyun's panic skyrockets. Is Chanyeol not coming back? What should he do? Go back to the waiting room? Stay here? He jerks forward and hisses, "J-Jongdae!"

"It's okay, he'll be here in a minute," Jongdae says, soothing him back down with gentle on his arm. "They're going to award a few others and he'll be right back."

Wary, Baekhyun leans back into Jongdae's touch and he eyes him carefully, looking into the elegant depths of the other Omega's eyes: there's an intensity there that smolders in a sad sort of way, a look of curiously heated determination, like a parent defending a child. Even Jongdae's hands are of a firm, though comforting, hold, as if there's a story lingering under his skin and behind the bright whites of his eyes, a sort of depth of character that Baekhyun doesn't see often.

Sure enough, after two more awards are handed out to artists that Baekhyun does not recognize, Chanyeol emerges from one of the backstage doors among the shadows and makes his way back to the VIP seating. Baekhyun can't help but leap up out of his chair, out of Jongdae's kind arms, and greet the Alpha with an overzealous hug. They're quickly seated again, though, as a performance starts up on stage. It's Puppy Love.

"Congratulations on your nomination," Chanyeol says to Jongdae over the table, and though he cuddles his Omega to his side the couple both lean over to hear what Jongdae will respond, for Baekhyun has already decided that he likes the other Omega. Though for a brief moment he had worried that Jongdae being "friends" with Chanyeol had greater meanings or implications, sitting between them now he realizes there is absolutely nothing between them.

"Thanks, I guess we'll see if all that work paid off." says Jongdae, leaning over. "But I'll probably go back to my seat now."

"Wait," Chanyeol says. "Are you here with Minseok?"

Jongdae nods.

Chanyeol then lowers his voice, as if it isn't like Baekhyun is right there to hear him. "I've been nominated for a few other awards, and I might have to go up again. Could you stay at our table, and help my Baekhyunnie when I'm not here?"

Baekhyun just about melts on the inside at the pet name, My Baekhyunnie.

"For sure!" Jongdae muses, sending a smile to Baekhyun. Chanyeol slips in a quick,

"Minseok is welcome to join, too. He probably won't be too happy if you leave him alone over there."

Jongdae snorts. "Minseok is a big boy. I'll just wave him over."

Judging by the way Jongdae speaks so informally, Baekhyun deducts that either the Omega must be one of those Omega Rights Protesters with his own rules for respect for dominants, or he and Chanyeol are just really close. Both make Baekhyun a little uncomfortable, but since his parents oppose anti-reformation so vocally he supposes the former would be worse.

A moment later there's someone else sitting on Jongdae's other side, and Baekhyun tears his eyes away from the pretty girls on the stage, dancing wonderfully among colorful lights, to meet eyes with the new guest.

He's an Omega too, Baekhyun immediately realizes, and even shorter than Jongdae. There's a soft roundness to him, but also something sharp and exotic about his face and his features. The man nods to him by way of greeting, and Baekhyun stares back. He looks onto this newcomer - who he assumes is Minseok - as the latter leans towards Jongdae and gazes at him with enraptured, mellow eyes, a stare so loving and undivided that Baekhyun cannot stop the words that slip out of his mouth.

"Are you two lovers?"

Both Jongdae's and Minseok's heads snap his way, a wet sort of shock in their eyes as if they've just been reprimanded. Baekhyun thinks his presumptions are rightly placed: Jongdae speaks informally of Minseok, and the loving eyes Minseok so obviously has for Jongdae are gleaming, and it would make sense then if Jongdae was a Modern Omega, a protester, because technically by law two Omegas aren't allowed to mate. So if these two are ralliers, who want to demonstrate against the current government, their relationship would be a golden example of that.

Baekhyun doesn't have anything against the protesters. He really doesn't. Omega rights? That sounds nice. But he has always been raised with a very strict set of beliefs, with a passionate and dogged (no pun intended) steadfastness to traditional ways. Baekhyun thinks werewolf tradition is beautiful and unique, and he believes that wolves were made the way they are for a reason. Modernization sees the rise of new testimonies, bigger ideas, and people who were previously at peace that are no longer satisfied with their current state. Hundreds of years ago, a loving mate, a few chores to do, and a circle of friends would have been plenty blissful for any Omega. Baekhyun doesn't see himself as being particularly different from the Modern Omegas - he's Primitive, yes. He has primitive genes and behavioral traits. But in his eyes the only thing that really differentiates him from them is this: he is satisfied with the heritage he has been given, while a percentage of Omegas nowadays are not. They want to be on the same level as Alphas, and that's what frustrates Baekhyun: they don't seem to see the point. Omegas are already on the same level as Alphas. Omegas have power in their own right. They may not be able to lift weights or top in bed, but there is power in beauty and kindness, in gentleness, in maternal ability. When Omegas try to compete with an Alphas through strength and power, of course they're going to heads and lose. But in Baekhyun's eyes, the only way for an Omega to get what he or she wants, as it has always been throughout time, is this: 

Kill them with kindness.

But looking at Jongdae and Minseok, he knows it's unfair to judge a book by its cover. Maybe he's just making false assumptions. Especially when he gets the answer to his question.

Minseok hesitates, his eyes widening, as if his words have just balled up in his throat. He looks like he wants to respond to Baekhyun's question, but Jongdae is the one that finds his voice first in the form of a laugh.

"Oh, god no. Absolutely not." He glances at Minseok, still chuckling, and then back at Baekhyun. "We're not mates. Just friends."

Baekhyun looks to Minseok.

The crestfallen and forgone expression on his face is unmistakable, and he looks as if he's experienced this before, and Baekhyun wonders if Jongdae is purposely being naive to the hurt that swallows the air around them, or if he really doesn't sense it. Baekhyun doesn't even know this Minseok person, but he knows an unrequited love when he sees one. It's so shockingly obvious that he wants to scream. Minseok sighs and leans back, crossing his legs, and says in a resigned tone with a soft smile, "Yeah. Just friends."

The whole situation Baekhyun has just put himself in is curious, and he instantly wants to dig deeper into the lives of these two Omegas who are clearly very close, but Jongdae's distance and Minseok's silence make a most interesting pair.

Baekhyun's eyes linger on them for a second longer, but then he resigns himself and goes back to huddling next to Chanyeol. His heart sighs in his chest when he does and for a minute his wolf feels at rest, completely satiated at the Alpha's side.

Once the girl group finishes their second song, and the MCs blabber for a bit, two new idols stroll out onto the stage to announce the next awards. Two more Bonsangs are given out, then the Best Female Dance Performance, then the Ballad Award. Another performance follows, this time a male Kpop group, and as soon as the music starts and the stars enter Baekhyun finds himself sitting up a bit, eyes drawn to the figures above.

They must all be Alphas, or most of them at least. They're broad and commanding of the floor that they walk on, bodies dancing in synchronism and voices heavy and hot. Baekhyun watches, mouth agape, as the dominants roll their hips and make some rather suggestive movements, hardly matching with the discordant lyrics but sending all the fangirls in the crowd into a frenzy anyway.

And then as the song progresses, they start taking their shirts off around the second chorus, revealing toned bodies. Baekhyun flushes and can't help but stare, though he moves impossibly closer to Chanyeol as he does so. The comfort that his mate gives him is enough to soothe his wolf, but when one of the Alphas on the stage looks down into the VIP section and meets eyes with Baekhyun, his brows lifting just for a moment and his eyelid falling into a flirtatious wink, Chanyeol looks down at Baekhyun with heated eyes. They're not angry, just offended, because as that particular group goes on with their performance they lead on all sorts of pretty Omegas in the audience.

Baekhyun feels a slight tug at his waist and looks down to see Chanyeol's palm creeping around his other side, holding him closer.

And then, just as the song reaches a loud maximum and the song is about to come to an end, the idols on stage Change.

They Change.

Where six men just stood are now half a dozen massive wolves in all their powerful glory, clothes shredded on the ground beside their furry forms. Baekhyun gasps and one of his hands covers his lips in shock, but his eyes give away his utter disbelief. The crowd screams animatedly when the song officially ends.

"Chanyeol!" he breathes, his own wolf provoked by the Changing of the others in front of him and eager now to be released. "But - Is that even legal?"

The Alpha grunts and pretends to find something over the top of Baekhyun's head interesting. "Must be."

The group leaves the stage and another one takes its place.

The pattern goes like this - the aesthetic sets, the upbeat music, the pretty faces - including a brief intermission, and then the MCs are back with more awards and more performances. It continues for a while, and Baekhyun finally thinks he's gotten himself comfortable and in the swing of things when he hears,

"This years top achiever in Hip-Hop and Rap...P.C.Y.!"

Letting Chanyeol go up to the stage is only barely easier than it was before because this times he knows what to expect, and Jongdae is right there to wrap his arm around him and hold him while he watches his beautiful mate do cool things. Baekhyun wasn't even aware that an artist could get two awards, and so he's doubly amazed.

The pattern continues, until they announce the OST Award and the name Chen, and the cameras are back on them as Jongdae stands, his face alight with a glittering smile. The Omega makes his way up onto the platform and Baekhyun turns to Chanyeol.

"Chen? Isn't his name Jongdae?"

Minseok is the one that answers his question. "Chen is his stage name."

Jongdae is different than Chanyeol when he's on stage. Though in essence their speeches are the same, Jongdae comes of as being sullen...no, humbled is the word Baekhyun is thinking of. He admires the other Omega's beauty, and applauses happily when the man leaves the stage.

 

Sometime later, the pattern is disrupted again when Chanyeol leans over and whispers, "I'll be right back, Baek." As he stands to go Baekhyun does so too, but Chanyeol gently sits him back down with a grin. "I'm just going the bathroom. It's okay."

But the wink that he gives Baekhyun immediately has the Omega thinking that maybe he's being cheeky again, maybe Chanyeol is even being mischievous. It's with an unsatisfied grunt that he lets the Alpha go and leans back into Jongdae just as the next performance starts.

"So you're an idol," he whispers to Jongdae, trying to distract himself from the fact that the chair next to him feels awfully empty. "C-Congratulations on the win."

Jongdae nods. "Minseok and I are with SM Entertainment too. But we don't cross paths with Chanyeol much, since he's so busy." He sends Baekhyun a notably concerned expression. "I really hope that won't be too much of a problem in your relationship. I'll admit, I only know what it's like being the person that always comes home late, not the one who's always waiting."

Baekhyun's brows rise. "So you've been in a relationship?" His eyes skim Jongdae's neck, but he doesn't see any trace of a claim mark.

Jongdae very obviously turns a deaf ear to the question, looking away. "But if you ever need anything from us - Minseok and I - " Minseok looks at them. " - then just ask for it, okay?"

Baekhyun nods and then, with a depressed and lonely knot in his chest, turns his attention back to the stage. Except he isn't really listening, just staring at the idols up there and wondering if maybe he's being too clingy, or when Chanyeol will be back, or what if Chanyeol doesn't come back, or what if -

He hadn't noticed when the next performance started, hadn't noticed the quick beat, the new tone, he hadn't even heard the audience's unusually vigorous screams. He just sits, wishing he could hear Chanyeol speak to him again...

But then he does hear Chanyeol's voice.

All around the stadium.

He gasps and comes to life, an excited zing running down his spine when his eyes land on the tall, beautiful man who is now illuminated by a hundred bright lights and the focus of thousands of eyes. Baekhyun can't his breath. He leans forward and grips the table, and he feels the warm air around him moisten his eyes, and he belatedly bites the tip of his tongue between his teeth trying to suppress the smile he feels growing on his lips.

Behind him, Jongdae and Minseok share an amused smile.

Chanyeol has just emerged from somewhere below the stage, and he's dressed differently: in a long coat, boots, and denim. There's a casual, ruffled look to him, an enamorous fluffiness. He looks so natural as he lifts the microphone to his lips again and starts speaking, lilting words falling from his tongue in time with the music. Baekhyun is so dazzled by this unreal image that he can't find it in himself to be offended that Chanyeol wiggled out of the truth and escaped their table with a fib. His mate - a Kpop idol. Baekhyun has to keep reminding himself of this fact, because he doesn't see the celebrity before he sees the man behind the glamor, no matter how many cameras they go through.

Baekhyun has never heard this song before, for his parents usually steered him clear of this kind of music, but he likes it. There's a jazzy feel to it, paired with a retro, 80s sort of tone, and Chanyeol's voice - oh, his voice! It feels less so like a rap and more like spoken-word poetry. His voice rolls like a summer's thunder, like a lover's purr, or a grown man's laugh. His voice is like melted caramel and warm watermelon, and it sets Baekhyun's nerves alight. It's like hearing Chanyeol's wolf groaning, or readying to howl at the moon, as cliché as it sounds. Baekhyun's Lycan relatives do it all the time.

Chanyeol charms the stage. He doesn't need to take his shirt off: his presence does the trick. From what Baekhyun can gather through his stupor, Chanyeol's song tells about a wolf that is unable to appreciate the beauty around him because of the loneliness he feels.

" - The blossoms are like the lips I never got to touch - " Baekhyun catches somewhere in the easy stream of poetry that flows through the air and fills the auditorium.

" - The winter without the wolf is the storm without rain but the winter inside the wolf is the storm that can only be tamed by a fair hand."

Baekhyun sighs and melts on the table, only to remember himself a moment later and sit straight again.

From the stage Chanyeol meets his gaze and smiles as he says the words, "I hope winter will not last forever."

And then he sings - breaking the hypnotizing speech to express the most husky, smooth, baritone voice.

Once the rap picks up again he starts walking out onto the extended stage, a walkway that takes him out onto a smaller cut of the stage, suspended out into the VIP section. Baekhyun beams and squirms in his seat, because Chanyeol is so close now, and Baekhyun's wolf is calling out to him, waiting for affection.

And then Chanyeol turns towards a set of steps that lead down from the dais, the mic still to his lips, and he graces the every-wolfs' floor as he steps down. He faces Baekhyun and his long pretty eyes crinkle at the corners with a smile.

Baekhyun flushes and presses back into his chair like a shy, giggly child looking into the face of his crush. Chanyeol moves closer, his rich words now telling of spring time, of a new beginning. Everyone is looking their way and Baekhyun can feel the heated stares and the gaping excitement, the cameras have all circled in too and Jongdae has moved aside and away, and Baekhyun doesn't know what to do so he covers his face with his hands. The cheers get louder then and Baekhyun shivers when he feels a certain warmth enveloping the air in front of him, and a calloused and sweaty palm holds his arm. Now he doesn't hear Chanyeol's voice through the speakers, but he can hear the Alpha's breath as it expels over the head of the microphone.

Breathe, he tries to tell himself, but it's futile. He can't do anything but wheeze behind his hands, aware of the lyrics,

" - and maybe rosy cheeks will be my bed someday - "

Chanyeol's free hand has moved to his own, the one covering Baekhyun's face, and the Omega holds his breath as he feels the Alpha pull his hands away from his eyes, letting in the light and the image of his Alpha before him. Baekhyun's ears wobble with the deafening cheer that wracks around them. His cheeks are definitely a bit rosy right now.

But he feels a smile stretch up onto his face and his vision slits as his eyes turn into shy crescents, for his hand in Chanyeol's feels so perfect, so right, and Chanyeol is crouching in front of him around the table with a goofily in-love grin on his face that reaches his large ears. Baekhyun feels his eyes tear up - maybe because of the nervous pressure that comes with having all these cameras on them, and maybe because he's just so touched because Chanyeol has gone way out of his way just to come down here and hold his hand - 

Chanyeol moves even closer as he starts singing again, taking his chair beside Baekhyun. The song must be coming an end, because it starts to slow down and the Alpha's voice turns remarkably tender as he brings Baekhyun's hand up to his lips and says,

" - may it be your hand that tames the storm inside."

Baekhyun feels Chanyeol's warm lips on his fingers, and then the music stops, the crowd yodels, and the cameras zoom in, but all Baekhyun can think about is the energy that pulls between his and Chanyeol's hands...that, and also that he's glad he trimmed his fingernails yesterday.

Back on the stage, the MCs are having a field day. Baekhyun doesn't hear them. He just sees the soft red tint to Chanyeol's face and the kindness in his eyes. The cameras still linger - at least until they're forced to attend to the next announcers that take the stage. As soon as they're gone Chanyeol leans in for a kiss on the cheek before he whisks himself away again, drawn backstage by Junmyeon's figure in the shadows.

Jongdae magically reappears as he flings his arms around Baekhyun and cheers, "Aren't you one special Omega!"

Baekhyun is too breathless to even respond.

~

The awards ceremony goes on, and Chanyeol is called up two more times to receive the Popularity Award and the Album of the Year. They later find that he received the most awards that night, and someone else gets the Daesang, but neither of them care. Junmyeon pulls them out of the ceremony just a minute early so that they can bypass all the traffic, and so they won't be completely overwhelmed by admirers and reporters. Junmyeon deflects the most and tells the truth: that P.C.Y. is taking time to spend with his mate. They are stopped in the lobby a few times, and Chanyeol takes the interviews quickly and politely (Baekhyun also finds out that he'd been stopped for an interview right after his performance), but they do make it to the car in record time.

It's cold and dark out when they leave the venue, but they both feel high and mighty. Someone hands Baekhyun a jacket and his phone, and a small bag with his pills, blanket, and pajamas ("From Luhan," says the guy that gives it to him) and then he is escorted by Chanyeol out. Baekhyun keeps himself somewhat subdued, not wanting to make a big scene with his fluster and his excitement, so he instead snuggles up to the Alpha's arm with his phone held numbly in his fingers and with a bounce in his step. They giggle and laugh all the way to the car, and now that he can breathe again Baekhyun once again admires the way he looks proudly, because he knows soon enough he's going to take all this garb off and become his normal self again. The adrenaline is still coursing through him and he stumbles a few times but Chanyeol is always there to catch him. The Alpha nuzzles behind the Omega's ear fondly, and Baekhyun bites the taller's shoulder gently in return.


Janruary 6, 2015 howler.com 10:12 pm

#1 Trending post: "Literally dying. [view photo attachment] Look at how Chanyeol sings to him i just T.T" tags: smas2015, chanyeol, pcy by blahrikeau 24 mins ago.
18.2k reposts. 27k likes.


Chanyeol opens the door for the smaller, though just as Baekhyun is about to get in they hear none other than Junmyeon call out to them as he approaches a separate vehicle. "Chanyeol, I assume you're not going to the after-party?"

"Nope."

"Okay, then, I'll let the company know you're going home. Congratulations, my friend. You've done very well, and I'm very proud of you." The two share a brotherly sort of nod, but then just before Junmyeon gets into his own van he suddenly gets up again, points a finger at Chanyeol, and says seriously, "Now wait. Whatever you're going to be doing tonight, don't leave any marks. Lee Soo Man wants a word with you, as well as the marketing manager. You're going to be facing an inquiry at work, so just be ready. Don't make any hasty decisions, now."

"Junmyeon," Chanyeol says, and it's in a warning tone. The message is clear: I'm an Alpha, you're a Beta. Don't tell me what to do.

"I'm only advising, Alpha," the manager says with raised hands. "This already-complicated situation can get even more complicated in so many different ways. Be careful. Have a good night."

He slips into his car and departs, and though Baekhyun turns the Beta's words over in his head gravely Chanyeol doesn't seem phased. Baekhyun allows himself to be guided into the Mercedes by the confident hands that he lacks, but as soon as Chanyeol is seated beside him and the car starts moving he's jolted from his busy state of mind when his phone rings in his hand.

He looks to Chanyeol for permission, and though the Alpha seems a bit surprised Baekhyun feels the need to ask, he grants it. Baekhyun faces his phone screen and feels his entire body go rigid.

It's from his mom.

He glances at Chanyeol nervously out of the corner of his eye, because he knows that this conversation is going to be a tedious one, and he feels so ridiculously stupid for forgetting his parents in this ordeal - why hadn't he contacted them sooner? His mom is probably off her rocker with frustration. As a son he lacks so much and he already regrets it.

But he doesn't avoid the call. Tentatively he swipes the screen and with shaking hands, puts it up to his ear and whispers a near-silent, "H-Hello?"

"Byun Baekhyun!" his mother's exasperated screech comes over the line and he winces, turning slightly away from Chanyeol as if that will lessen the Alpha's heightened hearing.

"G-G-Good evening, m-mother..."

At the word "mother" Chanyeol visibly perks up, and Baekhyun deflates.

"My son," the woman bemoans. "My precious, precious son - do you have any idea what you've done? I cannot believe you!" Her voice hardens. He stays silent. "You have a mate? You were claimed! And you didn't tell us?!"

Baekhyun bites his lip and puts a stressful hand to his forehead. His parents never watch the news, and they're in America right now anyway, so it's not like they would have seen him. He's so, so stupid. "I - "

"My dear child I have been waiting for this moment not just for your whole life, but for mine as well! I've been there for you for this whole time, waiting to guide you through this process, and you have left me out of it?" Oh no, Baekhyun thinks, she sounds really hurt. And angry. "You leave your own mother out of this?" Baekhyun can't find the words to respond, so he lets his tongue die in his mouth as his mother's tone turns into a reprimanding one. "Do you have any idea what it was like? Your father and I are on vacation, we were enjoying ourselves with wine and books, and guess what happened? I got a call form your Aunt Seo-An - " Baekhyun whimpers. Of course it's always Aunt Seo-An. " - asking why we didn't call and tell her that our pretty Omega son had business on television, with his new handsome mate. You wouldn't be able to imagine how embarrassing it was to have to ask your Aunt what she meant, because 'No, Baekhyun hasn't said anything, I'm sure you're mistaken', but then to turn on the TV and what do I see?"

Baekhyun refuses to look at Chanyeol. He covers his face and squeezes his eyes shut, preparing for the onslaught.

"An Alpha!" she whinnies. "A celebrity! With you! At an awards show! You were on television, you were in the front row! My little boy looked like an idol himself! And that Alpha - Byun Baekhyun, he must have wonderful genes - " Baekhyun wants to slap himself. He wants to die. " - And he was singing to you! I just - We can't - Baekhyun, did you think that it was fair that the rest of the world got to know about your claiming before your own parents did?"

"N-No mother, o-of course not!" he whines, his mouth chattering with intimidation - for even though his mother is a very soft-spoken Omega woman, she is fierce when angry and when Baekhyun is involved. "I - I'm so, so sorry. I'm sorry mother. I didn't mean to neglect you and baba. I didn't mean to give you any grief, it just...never came to mind." Before his mother can go off again he tries, "And...and I just met him a few hours ago for the first time..."

"That's not what your Aunt Seo said!"

He loses his gusto for a second time.

"Three days, Baekhyun. You've been claimed for three days! You really didn't think to call?"

Baekhyun's chest tightens and the fingers of his free hand clench in his lap. He says meekly, "I'm sorry mother..."

Something about his voice causes the woman to calm a bit, and the phone is silent for a whole minute before he hears her sigh. "I know, love. I know you don't mean us any harm. If you did, then we wouldn't have raised you the right way. We love you very much, Baekhyun, but your father is fairly upset too. He wants to speak with you, but I told him to do so on another day. He'll be wanting to speak directly to this new Alpha m-ma - " The word even gets caught in and Baekhyun can hear her choking up with tears. " - this new Alpha mate of yours. How is the house? You have kept everything clean?"

Baekhyun's a bit confused by the change in topic. "Y-Yes? Of course..."

"Good. We're coming home early."

Baekhyun sits up in his seat, guilt stinging his bones. "What? No, please mother, I don't want you and baba to cut your vacation short! You're supposed to be there for another month. You don't have to go through all the trouble."

He knows he's lost the battle before the words even finish coming from his mouth. The resoluteness in his mother's voice prohibits any conflict. "No. We've already started packing. We're not cutting the vacation short, dear - we're taking a vacation from our vacation, and we are coming home to meet this new Alpha as soon as possible. I will not let you go this alone. There are so many traditions that come with a new mate! Oh- Oh...Oh! So much to do! So many procedures! Then once we know everything is settled, and once we've met his family, we'll return to our vacation."

"Oh mother..."

He hears her gasp. "Wait! I must ask - have you mated yet?"

"N-Ah-M-Mother...n-no! We just met a few hours a-ago, a-and we-we-we were just at the ceremony..."

"Hm." He hears her mumble to herself, obviously toiling over his response. "Oh, dear. I'm so scatter-brained. I just wish you would have told us sooner, so that we wouldn't be scrambling on our toes to collect ourselves. It's quite a shock, you know, this whole thing. Your father and I always assumed - and thought we knew - that we'd be so prepared and so proud, but we're having a difficult time with this now."

"When will you be back?"

"Your father is looking for the quickest flight he can find right now."

"O-Okay."

"Baekhyun, I'm sorry to ask this of you, but as your mother, I do not want you to have with your mate yet."

Baekhyun feels his throat go raw. "M-M-Mom!" he whimpers, ducking his head.

"Besides, we must let your Alpha court you, yes?"

"Mother please."

"Isn't it your Heat month, too? You're not in your Heat, are you?"

Baekhyun lowers his voice even further, to a whisper. "Mother..."

There's a pause, and then his mother whispers back, "Are you with him right now?"

When the Omega doesn't respond, his mother gasps. "Oh, my! That's wonderful dear!"

"Mother - "

"I have lots to say to you, young man. And your father will give you an earful too, for sure. But since I am the primary caregiver it's my responsibility to make sure that you are fit for your relationship, and it's your father's job to make sure that this Alpha is a good suit for you. We'll be looking up on him tonight for sure. Now we'll also want his parents' contact numbers as well. We'll be calling them immediately."

"O-Okay mother, I'll send you his parents' numbers, I promise."

"And you'll be doing the Grooming tonight, yes? Or sometime soon I hope? You must have your honeymoon period, of course."

"Yes mother, we're figuring it out."

She sounds like she's getting ready to cry. "Oh, my precious boy is growing up! My beautiful boy! I'm so happy for you!"

It takes another minute, but eventually Baekhyun gets away from his phone with a final, "I love you too mother. Say hello to baba. Yes. Goodnight." And he hangs up.

He lowers his phone with a heavy hand and turns it off silently, without explaination. He isn't sure he's ready to face Chanyeol, so it's with a very shy frown that he peeks up at the Alpha.

Chanyeol is grinning.

"That was your mother," he says pragmatically, and Baekhyun just knows he heard the whole thing.

The Omega nods. He feels stiff an awkward, shamed by his mother and yet so taken care of by her at the same time. Perhaps there can be too much of a good thing, though. Chanyeol reaches across the seat and takes Baekhyun's hand. His eyes gleam with understanding. "I now see why you're so attentive to what you do."

Baekhyun looks down, cheeks burning, because even when the most crabby phone call has interrupted their sweet pace Chanyeol is nothing but the best, so easygoing and gracious.

It is then that he sees Chanyeol's phone get carefully placed in his lap, and he looks back up to his mate.

"Well, your parents are going to be wanting to speak to mine, are they not? Best not keep them waiting with those phone numbers."

Baekhyun nods and takes Chanyeol's phone in his free hand to look for what he needs. The way Chanyeol takes his other hand in his own two mitts, though, as if Baekhyun's fingers are treasure and his palm made of gold, instantly takes away the sorrow and makes him feel at home again, makes him feel like he really is treasured...makes him really feel like a jewel.

He smiles and lets Chanyeol kiss his head.

"My beautiful Omega..."