(2)

Milk and Cookies (ChanBaek)

Hello all!

SO THERE'S A LOT TO SAY

I've decided to move forward on this fic, which I'm pumped for, because I love this concept alhshsaslkdfhasl so I hope you'll all receive it with love!

My mother and I are taking a two-week trip to Paris in a few days, and I'm hoping that maybe I'll write the whole fic before we go, and if not I'll probably work on it while we're there or right after. My current style of writing induces that I binge write and spi

t the whole story out within a few days. Lmao that's how I wrote my baeconandeggs story (I'll post it after the reveals - yeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyey).

So this is a chapter to let you know that I'm still going on this, and I'm not leaving it be, and once I finish writing the story I'll probably post it in chapters between 6 - 9,000 words.

Also, I feel like spilling a bunch of stuff about my life rn because I'm in a good mood, but I'll probably just do a separate post somewhere else about all the cool and not so cool stuff going on with me right now. I feel weird.

Thanks again to all those who have anticipated and spread the love for this so far!

IMPORTANT: I did make some changes to the initial oneshot, the first chapter, so you might want to go back and just check maybe. I still haven't edited either chapter, so there may be some grammatical mistakes.

P.S. : I love comments. They make me happy and giggly and just please, authors love comments because it's so invigorating and encouraging.

P.P.S : I'm...insecure about posting this. I don't know why. Posting this makes me a little nervous but I hope you'll all like it!

Love,

BlahRikeau


Two days later, Baekhyun is still staring absently at the television screen when Yixing enters the room - Baekhyun doesn't notice him at first. Yixing scent does not penetrate the burning, aching scent wafting from the Omega's shoulder, and the Beta's aura does not move Baekhyun like it used to. He doesn't remember when or how he got back to his apartment, sometime in the late afternoon, holed up in a nest of blankets with the reflection of the TV lighting his face, Baekhyun is now lost. At least he feels that way.

There is a gruff cough as Yixing clears his throat and the Omega finally, absently looks up. The Beta stands as a silhouette in the low lighting of Baekhyun's apartment, curtains drawn, and his figure is intimidating and foreign to Baekhyun. "I made you some turkey soup," says Yixing in a low, distant voice. "It's in the kitchen when you want it."

The sound of his voice is so alienated and as Baekhyun blinks tears out of his eyes and glances up at the dominant he finds himself spinning in discomfort. When is the last time he's eaten? He hardly recognizes Yixing - he doesn't remember that pained, empty expression always being there. Baekhyun has known for several years that the Beta fancies him as more than a friend, and would probably advocate to claim him. Now...

"Y-Yixing..."

"I'm going home," he says as he reaches for his coat. Baekhyun quickly sits up all the way and shakes his head wildly.

"Wait, please, no. You have to stay and protect me, right? What if someone comes by looking for me?"

"Like your mate?" Yixing's voice is firm and chilly, sharp with pain. His words freeze Baekhyun on the spot and he feels the prickle of tears once again.

Your mate.

His mate.

The words are so strange and abstract. Baekhyun isn't even sure why he's crying - the claim mark on his shoulder doesn't hurt, in fact it feels unrealistically, incredibly good. The punctures in his skin feel as if they're humming with delight, with excitement, even though his brain is on overdrive. He's over thinking, being stupid, and he knows this. All his Omega hormones are going haywire. Baekhyun's lip quivers and he shivers - he thinks that the Beta can smell his distress for sure. Yixing moves through the apartment collecting his wallet and phone as he continues to speak. "That's right, Baekhyun. He's your mate. It would be best if he did come and pick you up. It's inappropriate to hide from him."

A whimper slips from Baekhyun's lips, and he snaps his mouth shut, only to open it a moment later. "B-But...Yixing I wasn't ready. I'm not ready. I'm not ready for a mate, much less a mate with the whole world watching him. God...his fans. What do I do about them? You know me, Yixing. Don't you? I can't handle this! I can't do this!"

Yixing walks right by him without sparing him a glance. "You have to." He steps up to the front door and pauses, and Baekhyun thinks he looks different. He looks withered, disheartened. The Beta sighs and shakes his head. "I care about you Baekhyun, but it's not healthy for you to start your relationship hiding away from him, whoever he may be."

Baekhyun gulps, feeling the pitiful ache in his stomach, and looks down at his hands. They're bright red from him nervously wringing them so much. "But...I'm not ready."

Baekhyun hears the front door close, and when he looks up Yixing isn't there. Baekhyun purses his lips, unhappy, and recurls into the couch. "I'm sorry, Yixing," he whispers. The Omega kneads his fingers into his hair, pushing his tear-wetted bangs out of his eyes. "I...I don't know what to do."

Drowning in his own sulkiness Baekhyun then decides that, even though he isn't hungry, it would be even more disrespectful if he never touched the soup the Beta had made for him. Baekhyun tip-toes into the kitchen with his blanket wrapped around him, and after dishing himself a bowl he sinks to the floor and hides himself behind the counter.

He's just so overwhelmed. Everything has changed - his entire livelihood will forever be different now. Baekhyun spoons a sip of the soup into his mouth and sighs; he realizes that he's incredibly over-emotional courtesy of his upcoming heat. The timing can't be any worse. He hates his heat. What if his mate wants to just...er...take him right away? What if this Chanyeol person likes Baekhyun's heat scent a little too much? Baekhyun isn't ready for that. Not yet. And he certainly won't have himself condemned because of a lousy and uncontrollable heat.

He groans and leans his head against the cabinets just thinking about having a heat - his doctor has let him know time and time again of his condition. Hyperfertilis Omegagenesis. A fancy name for a very simple bodily disorder.

There are two primary things that make an Omega an Omega: certain hormones in the brain that cause them to behave differently than dominants, and a secondary prostate organ called the Omega Prostate, one that causes heats, triggers them, orchestrates them, allows the Omega body to physically tolerate knots, and causes male Omegas to potentially give birth. Every Omega has this extra organ and these excess hormones, but according to modern science, Baekhyun's body overworks these features. He has an unusual abundance of sensory nerves, his body is overly sensitive, and his primitive Omega gland is abnormally hyperactive. Submissiveness runs deep in his veins. His heats are long, heavy, and intolerable. He absolutely hates his heat.

Most people call him a primitive.

Thinking about it, Baekhyun begins eating his soup again, stressed. Could he trust Chanyeol to take care of him? Well, he should, according to every mated Omega in the world, but he was also sure that he couldn't. Not this soon.

Curious, the Omega reaches onto the counter and pulls down with him his phone. He opens his internet app and quickly searches: PARK CHANYEOL.

The results appear and he's immediately drawn in to the stunning photographs of the celebrity: such a handsome face. Park Chanyeol seems so...otherworldly, hailing from the land of expensive cars, fancy parties, uptown music industry, and popularity unheard of in Baekhyun's middle-class, lower-suburb, extremely average life. Baekhyun isn't anyone important; he's just graduated with teaching degree in college, and recently got a part-time job at a local kindergarten. That's where his life is at. Never before had he expected that someone like this would come into his life.

Baekhyun is just fine until he begins scrolling: already pictures of him and Chanyeol on the street are everywhere, with blurry and low-quality - almost unidentifiable - photos of Baekhyun too. Dazzling articles follow with headlines like:

CELEBRITY IDOL PARK CHANYEOL HAS A MATE?

And,

SOCIAL MEDIA IN UPROAR: MYSTERY OMEGA?

Or,

SOUTH KOREA'S MOST POPULAR ALPHA CLAIMS A MATE THIS MORNING

Now his cheeks flush again. With his luck, no one will really pay attention to him. As far as Baekhyun is concerned Chanyeol's fans can just go on loving him and ignoring this mystery Omega on the side.

Baekhyun doesn't notice his entire bowl is empty until his spoon is scraping the bottom, the clang of the metal against glass waking him from his stupor. The room drops into a stifling silence, one that is unbearable. Baekhyun feels that uncomfortable rush of heat simmer in his veins again and pleads in his mind that his heat will hold off for a little while longer.

And then he remembers. Baekhyun scrambles to his feet and makes a dash for the bathroom where his vitamins and pills are. He only takes the mandatory minerals that the government requires of werewolves, plus one. A specialty drug that alters Omegas’ heat cycles and can suppress them. It’s expensive and has to be prescribed by a heat-treatment certified doctor, and then the prescription has to be approved by the government, and it’s a huge, tiring process. Baekhyun supposes that if the drug was readily available to any Omegas, there wouldn’t be any heats and if there weren’t any heats the whole social system would be off. Werewolves’ bodies work the way they do for a reason: because it’s how it was meant to be.

His hands trace the countertop and he picks up a small prescription bottle, which he fumbles with between his long, pretty fingers before popping open the cap.

Empty.

Of course it’s empty, he thinks despondently.

Another hot tug in his gut and he shivers. He refuses to have his heat now. He needs his head on straight.

Baekhyun runs to grab his coat, guilt and worry and uncertainty weighing down his feet like chains around his ankles. He traipses back into the kitchen and digs through a stack of papers, then pulls out his doctor’s letter and slips it into his jacket pocket, then grabs the blanket he'd held around him just because it's still warm, hugging it to his chest. With his hair a feathery mess, limbs buzzing with warmth, he quickly leaves the apartment and escapes down several levels and onto the street.

The frigid air of winter is like a slap to the face when he breaks onto the street, but Baekhyun doesn't stop walking. The idea of being alone is frightening - this is unusual for Baekhyun, for he usually prefers solitude, but it's that social Omega instinct again. He doesn't want to be alone. He wants to be with his mate - but he also doesn't, because that is frightening too. What if Chanyeol doesn't like him? What if he's not good enough for the showbiz industry?

So Baekhyun walks. He passes the metro and all the closed cafes lining the street - the sun has already arisen high in the sky and passed the midday point, and the winter cold swirls around him.

Pharmacy, he thinks. The Omega swiftly makes his way down the sidewalks, avoiding catcalls and ducking his head as Alphas pass. A group of Omegas, who look like they’ve been out drinking, see him do this and send him a shameful look—not all submissives these days support the prospect of immediate obedience of Omegas. The last few years have been tremulous and revolutionary in Omega history. All sorts of protests and petitions to change subjective laws and provide equal opportunities for both dominants and submissives have been wreaking havoc on the social system.

Baekhyun just stays away from it all. He comes from a traditional family, and his parents would have a breakdown if they ever thought he was rallying and demonstrating for equality.

He reaches the local drug store shivering and breaking out into a cold sweat, darting inside feeling hot and sweaty despite the cold weather.

The Beta lady at the counter in her long white coat and fancy name badge takes in his red face with uncertainty.

“How may I help you?” she asks.

Stress, Baekhyun thinks suddenly. He always trips up in front of strangers.

“I-I-I um…I n-need…” He stutters and spouts the name of the drug. As an afterthought he whispers, “Please?”

The woman pauses, then the title seems to register in her memory and she frowns quickly. “That’s a government specialty heat suppression drug. Do you have a—”

“D-Doctor’s prescription letter,” he blurts, timidly uncrumpling the sheet of paper and shoving it onto the counter, his fingers lingering on the worn edges as if he’s afraid to let it go. It’s his only ticket to salvation from his hormones.

The woman is immediately wary. She tugs the letter out of his fingers and holds it up to her eyes.

Baekhyun bounces on his toes, then pitches forward and grasps onto the counter. He already knows what her next question will be. “It doesn’t expire for another few months.”

The woman dons a resigned expression.

“Name?”

“Byun Baekhyun.”

“Date of birth?”

“May sixth. 1992.”

“When was the last time you had your heat?”

Baekhyun’s memory reels. “I—uh—three months ago? Maybe?”

“Any recent ual activity?”

His cheeks flush and his voice jumps an octave. “No.”

“Do you have a mate, Mister Byun, and how may we contact him or her?”

The words, “No, I don’t have a mate,” are already poised on his tongue after years of use, but then he falters.

He does have a mate.

Rather than trying to complicate things further Baekhyun lies, “I don’t have a mate,” and tugs his jacket a little higher up on his neck.

“Insurance?”

“Uh, Four-Omega.”

She asks another slew of questions, and then hands him a contract conditioning appropriate drug responsibility (it really is a task to get these pills) as she retreats behind the counter and disappears behind the racks. A minute later she returns with a bottle and a concerned expression. She mutters something about contacting his doctor and permission to do this or that, and Baekhyun stays to listen to her obediently before turning away and –

There’s someone staring at him when he starts towards the door. Two wolves, actually. Two Betas. Panic leaps into his throat immediately and he shoves the pills into his pocket, eyes flickering back and forth as the men approach in long, purposeful strides. He takes a step back, shying away back between to aisles.

“Excuse me, can we see your neck?” one of them asks as Baekhyun corners himself and shuffles away. Baekhyun’s heart spikes with fear and he opens his mouth to scream, but only a squeak comes out, hands trembling as they nervously try to find purchase on the nearby shelves. The Beta takes notice of the Omega’s anxiety and decides to raise his hands in surrender, expression softening. “I’m sorry, we’re not here to hurt you. We’re with SM Entertainment.”

Baekhyun is so out of it he doesn’t even recognize the name. He backs away, hands stumbling over boxes of candy bars.

The second Beta steps forward. “Please, you misunderstood. We’re not going to attack you.” He pauses here, exchanges a curious look with his comrade, and goes on. “We believe you may be the Omega that Mister Park Chanyeol claimed. We’d like to confirm that. Please, may we inspect you for a claim mark—”

Baekhyun wraps himself tighter in his coat, squeezes his eyes shut and exclaims, “By the First Modern Omega Equity Bill of 2012 I have the right to refuse any dominant that demands I unclothe, expose, or bear myself. I am under the defense of the Omega Security Agency and subject to all of my rights to an attorney and agent. Please understand.” He bows quickly and takes another step back.

The Betas don’t respond for a minute, and the Omega can feel their eyes on him, watching.

After a moment one of them speaks again.

“You’re right. But we don’t mean any harm. We’ve been asked by SM to search for the Omega that Park Chanyeol claimed.”

Then the other asks softly, “Is it you?”

An internal struggle breaks out into Baekhyun’s chest, as if the early fifties in Korea are reliving within his heart. Should he give himself up? Throw himself into the arms of a strange Alpha that will dictate the rest of his life? Or lie? Go home?

If Yixing found him at home, curled up in bed pitying himself, he would drag Baekhyun to Park Chanyeol himself.

Baekhyun eyes the two Betas—what if they’re lying? What if they’re only out to get him?

His busy thoughts don’t matter a moment later, though, because his oncoming heat is weakening his reserves and he only has enough energy to slowly, uncertainly nod his head “yes”. The Betas’ faces light up.

"That's great!" one of them excites.

"We have instructions to bring you back to the company. Park Chanyeol is waiting there. There's an event going on tonight and he would like to meet you before then. Of course, he would have to make sure that you're actually his. Is it alright if you come with us across town?"

 

Twenty minutes later, Baekhyun can feel his life changing and shifting beneath his feet.

The car ride had been silent and uncomfortable, and Baekhyun was positive that the Betas could sense his need to burst out crying. He could swear he could smell it on himself. Now he's inside the SM main building, a pack of people courting him around and directing him this way and that. He notices the curious looks sent his way, and blushes when he passes one or two major K-pop idols in the halls, as if that couldn't have been the most exciting pinnacle of his life right there.

"Please wait here," a woman directs, shoveling his nervous, shy form into a separate room. Next to all these professional-looking people, Baekhyun is aware his pajamas and bedhead are a bit lax. "Can I get you anything? Some water?"

Baekhyun remembers the pills in his pocket, and nods. "Yes please, ma'am."

She leaves the door open when she leaves, and some curious onlookers disperse as she goes as well, leaving Baekhyun to himself and a few other people who stand by in the room. He feels small next to them, his winter jacket sliding off of his shoulders and his chin bowed. The woman returns bearing a glass of lukewarm water, and Baekhyun pops a pill with trembling hands, desperate to avoid the onslaught of warmth brewing in his gut.

From behind he hears a someone clear their throat.

"Hello there."

Baekhyun turns, cheeks flushing, and comes face to face with a Beta man. He's short-ish and slightly older than the Omega maybe, a calculating, important expression on his face, and a dubious look in his eye. There's a sort of preserved youth about him, and a waning sense of dominance. The Omega bows politely in greeting.

"I'm Park Chanyeol's manager, Junmyeon," he says with a short, impatient clip to his tone. "We've been looking for you for days. He'll be here in a moment, Omega, so we'll confirm if you're the one he's looking for." Baekhyun doesn't fail to notice the way the man addresses him as "Omega" - it's archaic, traditional, and is sometimes considered disrespectful. Not that Baekhyun would ever point that out. "What's your name?"

Again his voice gets caught up in his throat, and before he can answer his finely tuned ears pick up on a rattle and rumble of footsteps hurrying down the hallway. He doesn't think much of it, at least until his heart clenches painfully, his inner wolf whimpering with excitement and passion, with longing. He senses his wolf's ears flickering, tail wagging -

The footsteps halt in the doorway and Baekhyun turns around carefully, his droopy puppy eyes wide and wet, cold pink fingers intertwined nervously in front of him.

Park Chanyeol looks stunning. When Baekhyun had been claimed this morning, he hadn't noticed or been able to appreciate the other wolf's tall and powerful build. His immediate Alpha presence electrifies the room and Baekhyun has a sudden need to rush into his arms: he's embarrassed by the thought. He feels magnetized, pulled under the waves of the feral and untamed huskiness of the passion of the inner wolf. Though his heart screams to run for the Alpha his feet are frozen to the ground, just as petrified as he is excited. For a moment all of his previous worries and insecureties disappear, replaced by only the beauteous man in front of him.

Park Chanyeol strides forward on long legs.

Park Chanyeol is standing in front of him now.

Baekhyun can smell Park Chanyeol's cologne, and behind the perfume is his natural musk. It's a scent that has Baekhyun's knees turning to jelly beneath him, threatening to collapse and send him needily into the Alpha's arms.

The Omega's heart beats violently, pounding and rushing like the beats of a flock of birds' wings all ruffling at once, taking flight and sending his entire heart soaring as the man in front of him reaches out and grips his arm. Baekhyun can feel the strength in the Alpha's hand through his coat and his eyes water, pupils dilated and glistening as he looks up into the face of his mate. Chanyeol's eyes are fierce with adoration and Baekhyun's inner wolf croons.

He knows instinctively that this is the fabled imprinting.

He holds his breath as the Alpha steps even closer, the latter's second hand extending towards Baekhyun's face. Chanyeol's large hand cups the side of his head, fingers kneading through his soft locks, calloused palm brushing against his cheek. There is so much grace and gentility in the Alpha's caress that it startles Baekhyun - it is a hold that is as tender as an Omega's.

At the dominant's touch, Baekhyun's stomach melts. The fear laced in his eyes drizzles out in the form of a single tear that he's glad the Alpha doesn't see because suddenly he's in Chanyeol's arms. His tear is absorbed into the Alpha's t-shirt as his face is pressed to the man's chest, and Baekhyun almost giggles when he hears how fast the other's heart is racing. Long, strong arms wrap around him and hold him tightly, almost suffocatingly, but with enough force and strength to let him know that this is no ordinary hug. This is a meeting of two souls, a meshing of bodies. A proclamation of posession and trust - for the first time in years, everything is suddenly clear. Everything is honest when Baekhyun is pressed to this Alpha's chest, held in his embrace.

He wraps his own arms around Chanyeol's waist.

Inside him, his wolf howls with delight.

Suddenly he is home.

Eventually they must part at the sounds of the others in the room shifting uncomfortably, but Baekhyun isn't ready to bear his face yet. He keeps his head down and resists the urge to bury himself in the Alpha's armpit, but he can still sense Chanyeol's eyes on him. The dominant's breaths pant heavily against his ear, adrenaline and pheromones pumping in the air between them. Then after a second Baekhyun feels something else: a pair of soft lips on his neck, placing a soft kiss at the junction between his throat and shoulder were the swollen, bloodied bite mark resides. The contact sends a violent tremor through Baekhyun's whole body, but he can't help the gasp that slips past his lips.

Just like he is sure Chanyeol can't help everything he's doing at the moment: the Alpha carries the same air now as he did when he first claimed Baekhyun. An aura of uncontrollability. The Omega can tell just by Chanyeol's ambience that it's in these moments he isn't thinking. He's following his instincts.

That's the first thing Baekhyun learns about Chanyeol. He doesn't think. He feels.

"Hello," the Alpha whispers. Baekhyun just wants to cry. He lets out an incomprehensible string of peeps in response, unable to release his voice from its stupor in his throat. Chanyeol's rumbling chuckle just about knocks the Omega off his feet. The Alpha purposefully leans away and doesn't allow Baekhyun to hide his face, Chanyeol's unbelievably pretty eyes drinking in the smaller's features. "Are you okay?" he asks under his breath.

Baekhyun wants to reply. He wants to speak and use his voice, but words have failed him. He doesn't know if he's okay - he's confused, disoriented, emotional, and feels one mishap away from a frenzy, but he doesn't know if he is or is not okay. Timidly, he drops his head onto Chanyeol's chest, breathless.

"May I know your name?" Chanyeol asks as he begins to Baekhyun's hair.

"baehngklsn"

"Hm?"

"Baekhyun."

Baekhyun feels a kiss atop his head.

"I'm Chanyeol."

The Omega nods, hides his face and hands between himself and Chanyeol's broad chest. Without anything much to say, Baekhyun just whispers, "Okay."

The peace that swathes between them is swiftly interrupted though, much to their shared disappointment, when Chanyeol's manager pipes in. "It's great to meet you, er, Baekhyun. I guess we welcome you to the family." Baekhyun pulls away from his Alpha (the words ring in his head: his Alpha) to offer his senior his respect, fully aware when Chanyeol wires their hands together and tugs the Omega close. Despite the kind words though, Baekhyun isn't fully convinced that Junmyeon really likes having him here. "I'm proud to see my idol here find his mate. There's a long road ahead for you two, that's for sure."

Gosh. Baekhyun can't even think ten seconds into the future, let alone the path that lies ahead for him and his...mate.

Manager sighs. "But for now, I guess I'll call the management at the Seoul Music Awards. I'll let them know that Park Chanyeol is bringing a plus-one...unless Mister Baekhyun will be staying here. It's five now. We leave at six. We want to be there at six thirty. You only have an hour until you have to go. We're going to have to get moving here."

Baekhyun feels his stomach drop. "Wh-What?"

Chanyeol's fingers tighten around his and he pulls the Omega into the crook of his arm for safekeeping as Junmyeon goes on. "Chanyeol's been nominated for a couple of awards. The ceremony is tonight."

Chanyeol's voice vibrates against Baekhyun's ear, his Omega sensitivity on high alert. "Cancel my attendance."

The manager frowns. "No, Chanyeol."

"Why not?"

"Because this could be a pinnacle point in your career and - I'm going to be honest - you can't drop your responsibilities to the company and to your career because of an Omega."

Baekhyun immediately senses the Alpha's hackles raise, and his Omega instincts are ready to kick in and submit to cool the tension in the room. "He's my mate. I'm sure they'll understand if I skip the show to take care of him. We just imprinted on each other. I'd like to wait out the honeymoon period and nurture our relationship. Like a normal mated pair."

The honeymoon period is a time after two wolves imprint on and claimed each other, a matter of a few days, where they're encouraged to spend time alone to socially and emotionally seal the bond between them...and mate. But that isn't mandatory. At least Baekhyun hopes it isn't.

Junmyeon leans against the nearby wall, eyes hard, and Baekhyun tucks himself behind Chanyeol. "Even if you do bring your mate, that would have a positive effect on both the company and your fans. At least it should. It'll prove that even though you're preoccupied with a mate, you're still dedicated to your work and to them. Lots of press." He turns his eyes to the smaller submissive. "Everyone's talking about you, you know. You're trending on three social media sites and are all over the news, and no one even knows your name. For two days everyone has been going beserk for you."

"It would be inappropriate for me to show up at the awards alone or with my mate. I don't want anyone to think that I care about an award over him." His hold on Baekhyun tightens possessively. Yeah, you tell him, Baekhyun mentally cheers, and then flushes out of his own internal embarrassment.

"Chanyeol, I'm on your side," Junmyeon insists with a hint of exasperation. "I'm here for whatever you need. But this is an executive order from the higher-ups. Don't tell me you don't think they've heard about this. Truth be told, they're panicking. You know the rules, Chanyeol. Your contract stated that you have another few years before you were even allowed to claim a mate - this is why. They want to avoid all this crap. Your fans are in a frenzy Chanyeol. You're supposed to appear available to them, and now that you have a mate certain companies and labels will be hesitant to endorse you. Geez. What I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to patch things up before they explode. The company honestly wants you to appear at the ceremony without your Omega - as of now only a few people know that Baekhyun is actually here. They want you to make an appearance, but this kid here will change everything. Your whole image will be immediately altered as soon as you step onto that red carpet with a stranger on your arm. I know there's a grace period after claiming. I want to fulfill everyone's desires: the company's and yours both. I want you and your mate to be together. I want you to have your way. The compromise is actually going to the event though."

Chanyeol's grip on Baekhyun slackens only slightly.

The Beta shrugs. "It's only a few hours. Nothing will go wrong. We'll just doll your mate up and give him the lowdown about how it all works."

"You will speak to and about him with respect," Chanyeol growls lowly. The quiet threat sends a shiver through the whole room.

"Yes, yes, okay. Does that mean you're for going to the show?"

"Yes." Chanyeol suddenly looks to Baekhyun and says gently, as if he can already sense that Baekhyun's nerves are on a wire, "Is that okay, my love?"

It doesn't matter what Baekhyun thinks, because he's so bewildered that he just nods.

Manager Junmyeon claps his hands together, startling the whole room. "Fantastic. I'm going to go up to the big boss and let him know that there's been a breach in the contract. Wish me luck."

Baekhyun absently mutters a faint, "Good luck," and all the wolves in the room turn to look his way, pleased smiles involuntarily spreading across all their faces. There's another kiss on his head.

Junmyeon keeps going. "Hold on, before I go - there's something else, Chanyeol. You know the Seoul Music Award rules. I'll let you bring Baekhyun as long as you keep your head on straight. If you break into your wolf form you're immediately renounced from receiving the award - or awards. So don't be testy. I get that you're all macho Alpha man now with your fancy mate but make sure to keep your cool."

Again, due to habit, Baekhyun hiccups, "Goodbye."

And then he was gone.

The inhabitants in the room smile at him again, and Baekhyun is suddenly hyperaware of everyone's eyes on him. He leans into Chanyeol. "Did I say something?"

Baekhyun senses Chanyeol's wolf growl greedily, as if in frustration. Naturally Baekhyun's inner wolf drops to the ground, but Chanyeol still glances at him as if surprised by the readiness. His brow creases. "Are you okay?"

Baekhyun nods. It feels odd talking to this wolf, this man - it feels so natural, and yet also a bit dangerous. As if he could never let himself be so easily whisked away into the romantic realm by a stranger.

But Park Chanyeol doesn't feel like a stranger.

He feels like home.

"I'm...exhausted, Alpha," Baekhyun admits.

"I understand. I'm tired too. But..." He drops his head with a groan. "I'm sorry, Baekhyun. If it was my choice, I would take you out for dinner and then take you home and get to know you better. But I'm afraid you're going to have a very busy and overwhelming night." His undoubtedly pretty eyes glisten with guilt. "But at least we'll be together."

The Omega's brows furrow with confusion.

Chanyeol's arm curls around his waist and he steers him away towards the door. "You're going to have to see a stylist. They'll get you ready for tonight, makeup and all. I think you'll like him - he's an Omega named Luhan. Come with me."

They emerge into the hallway and the Omega quickly finds that Chanyeol's flattering height does have a takeaway: it's difficult to match his log-legged pace that takes them swiftly through the corridors. Everyone oggles as they pass, eyes first brightening at the sight of the Alpha idol, and then mouths falling agape when they spot Baekhyun by his side. It must not be too hard to put two and two together and figure out that this is the Omega that has stolen the media by storm and whipped up a tornado in the company. Baekhyun, despite himself, feels even smaller.

Eventually someone does stop them. It's a tallish, broad man, with skinny limbs and a masculine face. An Alpha. His dark, suave features first greet Chanyeol as he's about to pass with a friendly, sweaty smile, and then his gaze latches onto Baekhyun and he halts in the middle of the path.

"Jesus," he exclaims. He looks as if he's just come from a rigorous dance practice perhaps. "Chan, is this him? This is the Omega?"

Baekhyun feels Chanyeol's wolf's tail wag happily, so he figures this other Alpha is a comrade. His mate smiles proudly. "He is. Jongin, this is Baekhyun."

The stranger Alpha nods his head and grins. "It's a pleasure." Then he turns back to the other dominant. "What a catch, Chanyeol." His smile falters. "I'd love to catch up with you two, but Kyungsoo is waiting for me at home."

Baekhyun sees Chanyeol wince and his curiosity is instantly piqued. "Yikes. Is he in a good mood today?"

"Never can know for sure. He called me at work from home, though. That's always a good sign."

Chanyeol nods and waves the other goodbye. "Good luck, mate. I'll see you at the ceremony."

"I'm going to need it!" Jongin calls over his shoulder with a final, graceful bow to Baekhyun. "Mister Baekhyun, I'll see you around."

Would he? See him around? Baekhyun squeaks in response.

Chanyeol seems to be in a hurry, though, so they continue moving along among the starstruck, squealish stares of the rest of the staff. Eventually they make it to the elevator and as soon as the doors close behind them, silence enveloping the small space, Chanyeol rolls Baekhyun into his embrace once again, tucking the smaller's head under his chin. Already it's Baekhyun's favorite spot.

"I'm sorry I'm rushing you," the Alpha mumbles. "We're on a bit of a time crunch. But I'll take care of you."

Baekhyun just allows himself to rest against the other's beating heart, and revel in Chanyeol's awed touch on the claim mark he has left on Baekhyun's skin, as if it is the most precious colored canvas to his eye. The Omega shivers as the Alpha - his Alpha's - calloused fingers brush over each dented puncture mark.

"It's a healthy bite mark," Chanyeol muses to himself. "It's...god, it's a beauty on you."

Baekhyun bows his thanks.

Two floors up, Chanyeol then leads Baekhyun down a tight hall bustling with people. They pass multiple renowned stars that greet Chanyeol excitedly when they notice the Omega on his arm, the heavy, spicy scent of pride wafting off of the Alpha in waves. The sociality of the whole situation has Baekhyun's head spinning like a top - he doesn't think he's been this social in years, never been pressed so closely to someone's body, never felt so possessed. Already his sensitive Omega self is in over his head, despite an Omega's general forcibly playful and interactive nature. He's always felt that he has drawn the short stick in that category of nature. He's most interactive around Christmas, when his parents are overly familial and have him wait on them and the rest of the relatives, serving them dinner and teaching him all the "correct" and "righteous" and "desirable", traditional Omega chores and mannerisms.

Baekhyun dips his head, face flushed in embarrassment as he's toted around the halls before Chanyeol finally leads him through the threshold of a new doorway and into the gold, dazzling lights of a changing room and hair and makeup studio. There are already werewolves there and they all turn their heads as the two enter.

"Luhan?" Chanyeol's baritone voice demands.

A small head of auburn hair peeks up out of the crowd. Baekhyun's eyes shift to the man's face and already his confidence falters and shrivels into something of a puny, pitiful raisin. At least that's how he sees it as soon as he lays eyes on the Omega called Luhan.

He's beautiful. Or, more pretty than beautiful, in the most elegant way. He sports a flashing claim mark on his neck, one that contrasts with his totally stereotypical Omega pallor, and Baekhyun marvels at the gorgeous innocence in his face, the kind that any Alpha would want.

His grip on Chanyeol's hand slips.

"Yes, Mister Chanyeol?" the Omega asks, a spunkiness to his voice.

"I'm going to need your expertise for the next forty-five minutes," Chanyeol says as he gestures to Baekhyun, whose eyes have lowered in a surrendering sort of way.

Luhan's pretty lips open in a gasp. "Is that your mate? The Omega from the news?"

"Sure is."

Whatever is in Luhan's hands - maybe a hair dryer, maybe a straightener - flies out of his grip and he skips over to Baekhyun with a happy smile as he sing-songs, "Hello! It's wonderful to meet you! You're such a beauty - look at you. You'll fit right in. You're going to the Awards with Chanyeol, aren't you? Fantastic. Lovely. I'm thrilled. We're a little low-staffed tonight so I do still have one other artist - Minho, you might have heard of him - to do up. But he can wait! I swear, you're going to steal the show tonight! Everyone is going to blow their tops!"

Despite Luhan's bubbliness, Baekhyun feels no tension between them. It's that Omeganess. He's still at a nervous loss for words, however.  "Um..."

Chanyeol chips in then. "Do you have something for him to wear? I don't think there's time to go downtown for - "

"Excuse me, forgive me, Alpha Chanyeol. But you don't need to worry. I've already got something in mind, as long as your Omega is the size that I think he is," says Luhan as he runs an expert measuring hand down the length of Baekhyun's arm, eyeing up his frame. Then his eyes turn to the Alpha. "Mister Chanyeol, I do think that your stylist was looking for you. I'll text him and confer about making sure you two match."

Baekhyun glances between the two, cheeks warm, and whispers shyly, "I don't understand..."

Luhan took his hand excitedly, beaming like a kid on Christmas.

"I'll explain while we get you dressed. We're going to make you look ing amazing."

 

 

~

 

I love writing this.